-nine- the guild

-nine- the guild

A Chapter by L.L. Lily

6:59 p.m. Garner manor

The grey Persian with its golden slit eyes lay curled into a furry ball on the study's desk besides Quinn. It's tail waving back and forth as she stroked its fur, unlike their first meeting the two had gone well together and afternoon's were always spent with her in the study either stroking his fur or feeding him crumpets while she studied. Today since she had no crumpets for him to devour, she instead stroked his fur as he napped besides her. His tail snaking around her arm satisfyingly.

Dusk transformed into night through the half draped covered window. It was quiet, almost relaxing, but she was glad to have heard the sound of shoes clacking after a long period of silence. She looked up from the book spotting Lucas jogging down the upper stairwell from training room of the rooftop. Today he wore a full black fit ebony shirt and kakis and for the first time ever the silver chain lettering engravement of L.G. necklace - the ones that always hung so tightly on his neck barely clanking - shun as they clanked together with his every step. His usual swiftness and soundlessness was gone, which was good actually since she didn't enjoy him sneaking up behind her at some point of the day.

"What's up?" She said raising an eyebrow not only noting the fact that he was somewhat breathless but intrigued by the peregrine hawk on his broad left shoulder.

"I received a message from the estate the entire guild wants to meet you tonight."

"But didn't I meet them a week ago?"

"Yes only a part of them, but after what had happened that night, you quite raised some eyebrows for just being an ordinary newborn."

"Does that mean I have to take on more Tina's?"

"The guild isn't about fun and games, Tina's just an absurd member of the guild, they should probably have some requirements as to what age limit they should choose a guild member like those modern politics. They're more ancient so they could get under your skin. And unlike physicality they're more of words."

"So like these guild members, if each village has its own Vampyre clan and head Vampyre why must there be a guild?"

"The guild is the heart of us preternatural's an association that keeps each pact in tact, leaders of various Vampyre clans report to the guild and abide under their laws. But its not just vampyres. Pixies, Wolves, Vampires, ghouls, any other freaks of nature you could imagine have its representative to keep peace and decrease the violence between disputing groups as a whole," Lucas trailed a finger from country to country on the artificial globe distractedly, "like the hatred of wolves and vampires.

The guild is composed of various guild members at least two most specifically one of both sex to represent each type of preternatural to keep in the balance between mortality and immortality. They are like judges and lawmakers where every jurisdiction and problems are revolved around them and the human world." Lucas whose long almond fingers trailing from country to country stopped in the center of Europe, the previous outlines he made resurfacing and manifesting into a delicately woven glowing fiery star - unification wards.

Quinn remembered learning about them in the previous section of her reading, for centuries wards similar to how the telecommunication system works link around the world. Linking one preternatural clan to the other. Like how the home famous for vampyre's in Europe, or the heart of lycanthropes -wolves in the Himalayas far north in North America. Limitless to that, wards are magical gates that separate each territory and protect each clan and its boundaries.

"Tina and Charlie represent the Vampyre Guild in this case and I along with the rest of the various village clan leaders report to them. Our problem is their problem and vice versa. And although it is against the law to turn an innocent mortal, most had broken it for the past decade or so. They don't really care anymore unless it gets out of hand. They don't care who is turned and most who are turned are barely reported unless there are reports of them getting out of hand, however, a high class sire like me must also abide to the law of reporting with my precious coinage for them to decide the jurisdiction. Because the assumption that a clan leader knows his grounds in the law, he couldn't turn anyone and be a sire for it would be an obscurity, a disruption and unfair distribution of power and incest with the blood bound. "

Lucas strode across the room, sliding the window open his hand angling into a hook signaling the hawk to land on it. He stroked it head, its eyes closing and body swaying with satisfaction, he bent slightly, "merci," he said "we'll be there."

11 p.m. Northumberland; Guild estate, guildhall city

Extinct cobbled brushes like those found on abandoned deserts seemed to sweep by with the breeze, the moon in full above the dark night sky. Lucas and Quinn stood in front of the large ebony Crowbar gates, the cursive engravement utterly French, "illogique" on the iron header above its center.

"What does it say?" Quinn inquired mouthing the word delicately with her lips as she tried her best to pronounce them punctually.

"It means," says Lucas timidly "Beyond the bounds of reason. Come on," Lucas stepped forward on the triangular dusty floor mat parallel to the gate, his fingers pressed lightly on the infinitely symbol of the door handle and the door screeched open. They stepped inside, their shoes below them clacking a rhythmic tune as both steps followed one after the other. The interior was similar to a labyrinth, unlike the exterior it looked like a large mansion with its endless halls and floors. Chandelier lights were lightened by pools of orange, the walls lined with even numbers of candelabras and long silky scarlet carpets led them through the astonishing guildhall. There dozens of members although practical-looking to be mistaken human, sat around the large triangular guild hall table.

Quinn swallowing the huge lump on her throat met the eyes of some of them faces barely visible except the glow of their various colored irises under their dark robed hoods, intimidation and the pressure rising inside her and stopped at the only two familiars she had already met siting side by side - and they too where in silky robes and a hoodie. Unlike the rest both looked younger amongst the rest of the guild members, and both, at least Charlie did, gave them a wry acknowledging grin. She wished she hadn't worn the ebony yoga pants and elbow cut loose sweater she wore since that afternoons training session, the meeting was in short notice and she couldn't at least changed into something more casual like her court suits.

One of them stood, hands extended up on both sides, his face although wrinkled was handsome under his golden silky curls, his chocolate brown eyes acknowledging both of their presence. Quinn's eyes flickered as she caught the sight of the peregrine hawk on his shoulder.

"Lucas and dearest demoiselle," he said, his snarky russian accented emphasis on demoiselle sent a shiver down Quinn's spine. "We are graced with your humble presence. Please do sit."

And the two did, sitting on the cushioned seats prepared for them in unison as if they had done it a dozen times, Lucas sitting comfortably with his leg crossed over the other gentlemanly posture, back flat and without a hint of intimidation or cautiousness, and in contrast Quinn sitting stiffly like a little girl folding her hands innocently on her lap. The guilder return sitting on his seat, shuffling the heaps of paper in front of him, the silence sprouting the anxiety within her. She listened for their heartbeat, anything that hinted her of their plans. But there was nothing she could pick up. The golden curly haired man whirling his index finger with dusty blue hue she identified as a pixie, eternal and charming by his possession of magic but at the same time mischevious and selfish with his title.

Breaking this silence was the long ebony haired woman, her eyelashes tick and underlined with blue pastel darkening the color of the similar shade of her eyes. Beaded jaguar teeth hung as an insignia of her clan on her forehead. Tattooed on her cheeks, were ash symbols in complicated strokes Quinn did not understand and underlined with scarlet three-lined-feline war whiskers. A lacy flora design was also chiseled like a spiderweb on the openly exposed area under her robes left collarbone. Her rosy lips were set into a fine line as she seemed to glare at Quinn, the intensity of her graze reached out to her and she could barely look at the woman straight in the eye.

"Did you turn willingly or where you forced?" She interrogated like a cop in good cop and bad cop, slamming her hands against the table with so much force the place her hands set left a dented flaw, her graze intensely growing in disgust as she shifted her attention from both of them. When Quinn couldn't answer, Lucas jumped in, his tone care less. "She was in the verge of death, innocent yet a fair play, no breaking of the law there."

"And you Garner," she hissed almost intolerable, "what were you doing there in the first place? Union is lycanthrope territory."

"I have property in Union, Villa de rosa," he said his lips curving into a playful smirk that in-spite of the seriousness in the issue at hand, flared an obvious total personal resentment within the woman "You guys might not know it but at good weathers like that night, I prefer watching the waterfalls."

The woman let out a disapproving snort, "coincidence to have met the same lineage?" She whispered.

"I'm a huge fan of coincidence my dear, but I don't believe the issue at hand here is about me, its about my dear Quinn."

"Indeed as it may, you have brought a dead back to life more or less one of whom you barely knew."

Lucas shrugged, "most sires besides myself doesn't have a choice either, they just turn the first person they find."

"A clan leader couldn't become a sire!" She shrieks, flawing the large guild table with her protruding claw scratches. She breathed heavily, and within her raging eyes Quinn could see her total resentment, the desire of wanting to embarrass him, wanting him to serve the justice whosoever her beloved's injustice.

"Marcy," growled a voice coming from right besides her, he too stood up yet there was calmness and civility in his posture. His arms, with his sleeves pulled up were occupied by microfibers of hair, his scent like hers, was filled with canine and wilderness - lycanthropes. "He's right, this is not the time for your personal issues, please refrain from resorting to violence." He turned to examine Quinn, his lips curving into a cheeky smile, her reflection shining on his blades of teeth. "So you're the girl who took down the legendary Ortega clan heiress." he casted a glance at Tina's direction, her complexion flushed with defeat. He bared his robe, the material falling on his feet below him, revealing a mud brown tee and camouflaged jeans. Lucas stood between them as if to block Quinn from a near foreshadowed event.

"I believe that is not possible," he said his serious stern eyes focused on the other mans, "she's not ready for that yet."

"Shouldn't you be glad Lucas, if we approve of her we could excuse you for your oh-so-many crimes. You'll be the first to have a second in command whose your trusted coinage."

"You must also know we know what goes on in and out of this estate. We know what this woman is capable of even without those two proving it. Little or less, she'll do it because we say so."

"I already said, she's not ready."

"Oh," the man batted his eyelashes, "so you fear that she is your only disappointment or do you not?"

Lucas lets out a sigh, "my dear Quinn is not."

"Then. She shall be put the final test, tonight. Before sun rise, against yours truly."


Quinn sat crosslegged on top of the ebony study desk of the guild estates secluded private study. Lucas sat beside her, elbows parallel to his lap as he leaned forward, fingers intertwine and rested below his chin.

"I forgot to warn you, besides Tina, her male counterpart Horace of the Gazette tribe is far more tricky of an opponent. It would take more than a few swings to outrun the b*****d. Instead of temper and strength he uses weakness and strikes. Manupliation of emotions is his main focus, strength won't be his main problem since most of the time he'll have you down before you can stand. The best near strategy is counteracting his manipulation and use your speed before he does. He won't be taken down easily, but I know you can do it. I'll be there to guide you."

"They said I'll be second in command if I beat him, what does that mean?"

Lucas hesitated, a period of silence following. He slid his hand over his shirt pulling it half way above his neck, a black pentagram engrave with cursive initials of P.G. burnt to a scar of his solely core of his back the upper left shoulder blades. Quinn reached out to touch its surface, its texture rough, yet time seemed to make an illusion of its effect - fading and barely flawing his skin, as if it were his birth right, just a years passed tattoo.

"When the time Charlie or Tina's time of serving as the Vampyre guilds representative has come to its end, I would be the immediate candidate to take over its place. You would be my second in command or the next inheritor of the garner clan. The mark would certify you as a qualifier to take Tina's place along side with me if that happens."

"Does it hurt? I mean the mark?"

"Not as much as you'll be against Horace, but you could feel the mark burn within you for eternity. Defeating the challenged guilder, would serve as proof that you could rightfully bare the mark and title, its an accomplishment. But I don't expect you to defeat him now, that's why I want you to back out."

"I won't."

"And why not?"

"Because I want to prove to them and to myself that I won't be a disappointment, that I won't disgrace the name of the garner clan."

"Oh look at you, getting hyped up with something so little." Lucas teased, turning to face her, his eyes staring deeply into hers, her body a slumped beside him "you're just like her." He whispered and planted a kiss on her forehead.

A breeze brushed past her, her stray bangs floating as she stared at him with a puzzled look, "like who?" She asked and he broke into a crooked smile, "like the girl name willpower."

Quinn broke into a frown, scowling at the man next to her, lips set into a pout. He clicked his tongue teasing and chuckling and she broke into a chuckle as well.

The large metal door of the study creaked open, stepping inside was two brawny muscular men in ash black track suits. One with jet black tousled hair stepped forward, Lucas hopped off the table, extending a helping hand for Quinn. Quinn with an acknowledging nod took the offered hand and gently hoped down landing of both feet as well.

"it is time," said black haired man motioning to grab Quinn by the arm, but only to be hastily rejected by Lucas who pushed past him and escorting her out of the room. The other bouncer blocked their path, and the ebony haired man gripped Lucas from behind his shoulder. Lucas cocked his head to the side, giving him a cold cool bad boy glare, but the other man didn't seem to be intimidated.

"Guilds orders, you can't watch your apprentice under any circumstances."

"Screw the guild." Snapped Lucas, crushing the other mans grip on his shoulder ever so effortlessly with one hand. The man cringed his pain short lived, both their forces were kneck-and-kneck, like two arm wrestlers never seeming to win after oh so many hours. Lucas smirked, as if knowing exactly why so - the guild knew he won't just sit down without a fight, and they picked up a fairly well opponent to keep him busy.

The other man, whose sleek shiny gold tresses shun under the orange light planted a hand on Quinn's shoulder. Quinn looked up, quite intimidated by the tall bouncer like man. Lucas, without letting go of the other mans grip, casted a glance towards them.

"You sir will be dearly sorry if you don't remove your hand from her." He hissed, twisting the ebony haired man's hand in ways not possible over his head, dislocating his elbow. The man fell on his knees shrieking in pain, his former mortal expression fading dead pale and sinister. His skin exfoliating to dusty flecks until the thinnest trace of flesh was left, lean and amphibious as a fish's scaly skin. His teeth baring into billions of razor sharp short incisors. Eyes slit and bloodshot. The sinsister stench of death and rotten eggs - a ghoul. He sunk on fours - upper body bare and built with grime - and leapt after Lucas, Lucas whose exact speed and agility is never known evaded the attack disappearing with a blink on an eye, and reappeared behind the hideous creature dumbly casting a glance around, locking his neck with enough strength to crush it. The golden haired man binded Quinn's hands behind her, sliding a knife close to her throat, the single trace of movement would have meant an immediate cut. Quinn swallowed, the sharp tip of the blade, scratching a thin part of her skin. She casted a worried glance at Lucas whose attention was now fully on hers, fear and worry fully shown in his usual unreadable expressionless facade.

The ghoul twisted away from his grip, cheap shotting a swing that would have almost put Lucas through the concrete walls - but it didn't, he held back at that part, he wasn't instructed to kill him - yet. He smirked mischeviously and again leapt toward Lucas who was now regraining composure, gracing with the wind and landed on him, knocking him off his feet and pinned to the ground. He bared his mouth, his razor sharp teeth shining with gooey saliva. His face at full speed raised and shot towards him aiming to sink his teeth deep within his chest savagely.

Quinn screamed, effectively enough to catch the hideous creature's attention. Lucas warily casted a glance at her as well. "Enough. I'll go, please enough." Escaping the golden haired man's binding and the knife on her throat. she wept paddling on her feet and kneeling down besides him. What was this? she thought. Why did she care for him? Was it because of their blood bond? No, well yeah, because they were now a family.

The golden haired man pulled her up once more binding her hands behind her and pushed her forward. "I can walk," she said casting a sidelong glance over her shoulder to were Lucas lay, back against the wall, leg supporting one hand up, wiping away the blood off to his sleeve. She gave him a wary smile and disappeared out the iron double doors descending to darkness.

I would never forget that smile, that rosy lips that was set perfectly with her various expressions. And that wary smile that always sought me through, piercing a heart breaking pain within my heart.


© 2013 L.L. Lily


Author's Note

L.L. Lily
a/n: *illogique means illogical in english or in definition where Lucas says " it means beyond the bounds of reason"

http://www.wattpad.com/32113054-le-vampyre-diaries-chapter-nine-the-guild

* next chapter: -10- the girl named willpower

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

105 Views
Added on December 20, 2013
Last Updated on December 23, 2013


Author

L.L. Lily
L.L. Lily

About
Everyone has a beautiful life story, you lead it, life writes it to what we call past or history. No matter how small, every little detail counts. My paper, your pen our hands joined as an beautiful i.. more..

Writing
authors note authors note

A Chapter by L.L. Lily


BUlletproof BUlletproof

A Story by L.L. Lily