Chapter 7

Chapter 7

A Chapter by Asylum Dormouse
"

Bella's POV

"

Bella

Chapter 7

 

When she awoke, she saw Shadow eating for the first time. He never ate when she did for some strange reason, perhaps out of courtesy, the people on Earth did have very different manners. He sat on the opposite side of the fire from her, the flames distorting his dark face. Every so often, the light from the fire would illuminate his face just so that his blood red eyes would glint. The sight of it was comforting, she was becoming comfortable here. Never before had anyone cared so much about her, and she had to admit it was nice, but she was ever leery of this pretty boy who seemed to put so much effort into making her comfortable. He saw she was awake, so he stood and walked over to her, offering her a piece of meat of sizeable proportions on a plate made of wood.

            “I have some greens, if you would like that as well. And I would suggest you do, you’re still far below a safe weight limit.”

            “I’m quite alright, thank you. I’m not hungry.” In all reality, she was hungry. But her paranoia was overwhelming. She knew what lengths it took to create a meal like this from scratch. Why was he sharing it with her? She could not pull her own weight, she did not help hunt, she didn’t collect berries, she only sat in the darkness of the cave and moped, and attempted to ignore his efforts to try and get her to open up.

            “But you must! Denying food is simply not an option Bella… please eat.”

            “I cannot… I did not help prepare this meal at all, you did all the work yourself. You should go eat.”

            “Bella, there is plenty here to last us for weeks. If you continue to improve as you are, you might even be able to come with me hunting next time, alright?”

            “No.” She said firmly. She’d had enough of this forceful recovery.

            “But you’re sick! Besides, you have been eating food like this the whole time you’ve been here. Just because I went hunting today doesn’t make this meal any different than the rest!” She shook her head. When she felt like it she would eat. Her mind was too full right now.

            “Seriously Bella, what is wrong with it? You’ve been eating it the whole time you’ve been here. It’s all very healthy for you, it will help you recover. You’re not going to become fat overnight even if you just eat a small meal.” At this she glared at him long and hard. Did he really just say that? Had he honestly no idea as to why she was refusing? He thought she wouldn’t eat because she was worried about getting fat?!

            “What…? What did I say? Fat? Are girls really so sensitive about that stuff?” She curled into herself and scowled at the ground, giving him the cold shoulder. He doesn’t know anything. He’s so blind. He doesn’t even know who he’s talking to. Why the f**k won’t he just leave me alone?!

            “I’m sorry ok?” He said, trying to make eye contact. “I just don’t understand why you’re being so stubborn…” Bella ignored him. “Hey… please don’t be mad, I was just kidding…” Why is he so nice? Why must he fuss about my welfare? “I don’t really think that you could ever be more than thin, I mean, you’re cute as you are. But I just don’t think that you’re at a healthy-” She kicked him away angrily.

            “I’m not cute! I’m not pretty! You don’t know anything about me! Goddess… why are you being so nice to me? I’m a vegetable! I’m useless. Gah…” She growled, running her hands through her hair. “I just… I need to go for a walk.” She burst out of the cave and sprinted in no direction in particular. It was very cloudy, and there was a reliving cool breeze in the air. She ran through the forest, letting her mind spin. So I was tormented, every day they told me I was worthless. I am worthless. What does this beautiful boy know? She heard him calling from behind her, she simply could not face him now, in the state she was in. There must be some ulterior motive here. There must! One is not simply kind to another, it doesn’t make any sense…But then, perhaps he was just lonely… the thought had never occurred to her before. There were no Sapiens for miles and miles, and who knew when the last time he had contact with others like him. She slowed, her breathing was heavy, and her chest hurt. But she had still left him in the dust, which meant she had not become too unfit during her time of rest. She flopped down in the dirt, resting her back and head against a pitiful, dead tree. Her entire body ached from her sudden outburst, but , in some crooked way, it felt good. She had not been outside in many days, and she could hardly remember the last time she ran freely as she had. Perhaps she had judged him too harshly… Couldn’t she let her guard down just a little bit? Shadow had stopped calling for her, which was fine with Bella. She decided that perhaps he was harmless, and it was clear now that she still had the strength to defend herself if she needed to. So now, the question of whether to return or not hung over her head. There were times such as now when his kindness was overwhelming, and there were other times when she enjoyed his company, and she felt a warmness inside her that she couldn’t quite recall. She stood and wandered around the forest for a bit, taking in the surroundings. The world was dying, as she had suspected. She concluded that the least she could do was give this man her company, if that was what he wanted. The last thing she needed was to be in debt to someone, even if it was a favor she did not ask for.

 

 

She was nearly back to Shadow’s lair when she heard a slight scuffling behind the brush beside her. She crouched down low, cursing at herself for being careless. Slowly she crept through the brush, spacing out her weight so that she was completely silent. She soon saw what looked to be a figure hunched over, but she could not get a good view. She leaned forward just slightly, and a twig snapped from underneath her. The figure stood up quickly, and she recognized that it was Shadow. He had drawn his sword and was looking around frantically. She sighed in relief and slowly rose from behind the brush, her hands outstretched beside her where he could clearly see them.

            “Oh…” he said suprisedly, sheathing his sword, “Sorry Bella, you startled me. Where have you been?”

            “I told you…I just needed to go for a walk… My Goddess, what is that??” Looking over Shadow’s shoulder she saw what he had been crouched over. It looked torn and pitiful, but upon closer inspection it appeared to be a Sapien.

            “I just found her here…”

            “Found her here? My, you’re just conveniently finding girls everywhere aren’t you?”

            “No, really Bella… I was looking for you and I saw her here, I think she’s still alive.” She strode over to the girl. Her hair was long and silvery, and her face was perfectly porcelain. The girl didn’t move, her hair was knotted and unkempt, but then, everyone’s was here. She was dirty and flies buzzed about her, suggesting that she had been dead for quite some time. Bella shook her body gently, and there was no response.

            “Shadow, I’m pretty sure that it’s dead.”

            “No, there’s a faint pulse, I swear…”

            “You’re delusional, look…” Bella smacked the girl across the cheek, a most effective way of bringing one out of an unconscious state. But she wasn’t prepared for the girls’ startled reaction. While she didn’t quite wake, she flinched and gasped a raspy breath of air. Bella jumped back in surprise, bracing herself and growling low in defense.

            “I told you Bella!” The girls’ body had gone completely limp, “If she wasn’t dead before, she likely is now!” He rushed up to her body and began to press on her wrists and neck. “There’s still a pulse… I’m sorry Bella, I didn’t mean to snap at you… just, don’t do that again ok?” Bella looked warily from him to the girl and back again, and nodded slowly. Shadow picked up the girl's body and began to walk toward the cave, and Bella followed.



© 2012 Asylum Dormouse


Author's Note

Asylum Dormouse
Let me know of any grammar problems :) thank you

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

though-thought, girls'-girl's these are
just some few typos maybe(;

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Asylum Dormouse

11 Years Ago

Fixed :) thanks for helping me out!
Rhianne Ney

11 Years Ago

welcome (;

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
1 Review
Added on August 11, 2012
Last Updated on August 17, 2012


Author

Asylum Dormouse
Asylum Dormouse

MI



About
I write poetry and stuff... I love Emilie Autumn and the Victorian era, my current project is a fantasy series that I am writing with my friend. more..

Writing