Chapter 9

Chapter 9

A Chapter by Asylum Dormouse
"

Shadow's POV

"

Shadow

Chapter 9

 

            Throughout the night Shadow watched as Bella glared at the girl with all the malice she possessed. Despite his best efforts to calm her down, Bella would not sleep, she just watched her like a hawk, crouching in the corner unmoving much like a gargoyle, and with quite the same expression.

            “Has anybody ever told you about neophobia?” Bella’s eyes did not waver from the girl, she only said quietly,

            “No.” And then she returned back to silence, her lips tight and barely concealing her teeth, which were ready to lash out at any unexpected movement.

            “Have you any idea what it is?” At this she did snarl, and her eyes injected him furiously with enough venom to kill a small animal. She was obviously not in the mood. For anything. He would just have to wait until the new girl awoke before he would get even a sentence out of Bella.

            “It is the fear of anything new.” Silence. “You really should try to sleep Bella, she’s probably a refugee, just like you-”

            “I am not a refugee.” And then her eyes grew dark and her expression went from sudden surprise to anger. Finally, a small hint as to what her past was, and why she was here. Bella certainly didn’t like his technique, and she spat,

            “And I certainly am not neophobic. Who do you think you are to tell me that I am?”

            “Well, I am certified. On five planets at least.” She was caught off-guard, but she composed herself quickly, scowling at him. But it was too late, he had already seen the interest in her eyes. “You see Bella? That wasn’t so bad… the more I learn about you, the more you learn about me.”

            “Shut up.”

 

 

By daybreak Bella still hadn’t moved, and the surrounding mist had turned to rain. He had taken to pacing, daring not to leave Bella alone with her, but restless nonetheless. The girl was heavily armed, and if he had been any less than polite he would have taken them from her. But she was injured, and he did not want to come across as an oppressor. She was very different looking indeed, even more so than Bella, who he assumed to be Polarian. He had not a clue where this girl might have come from,. Her ears were long and pointed, and her eyes slanted upwards. Her skin was a startling gray color, which looked almost blue in a certain light, and her hair was below waist length and a platinum silver color. Even in her sleep she looked vicious, like a well-bred feline gone feral. Bella turned for a moment to study a rodent scurrying across the opposite side of the cave, and in the mere half-second he wasn’t watching, all hell broke loose. The girl sprang towards the entrance quicker than Shadow could have ever imagined her doing in her current condition, she jumped in the air just as Bella leapt to attack her. Shadow quickly ran to the exit before she could reach it, trying to block her way out. There was no possible way she could survive outside on her own. But she seemed to be unfazed by her injuries, and whipped out a blade and she charged towards to exit. She swiftly slashed his face, and no doubt would have done worse had he been any closer to her. Shadow fell back in surprise, holding a hand to his stinging face. He looked up to see Bella crouched over him, studying his cut.

            “It’s not too deep,” she said, tilting his face towards the light. Her touch was gentle, and for once, she was voluntarily close to him. She swiftly left and ran towards the exit, “I’m going out after her.”

            “Bella,” he said sternly, grabbing her arm, “No.

            “Why not? She’s beaten up worse than I am, she should be your first priority.”

            “I will go out after her. Alone. Right now you are my first priority. I’m not like that Bella, I’m not going to go after someone else when I’ve already come so close to making you better.” Again, that look in her eyes. It was like sheer confusion. Had no one ever shown this girl a kindness in her life? He made his way towards the door of the cave,

            “I’m going to search for her now, please stay here, don’t follow me.” She mumbled,

            “Ok.” And he went off into the now pouring rain to search for the strange girl.



© 2012 Asylum Dormouse


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
Added on August 14, 2012
Last Updated on August 14, 2012


Author

Asylum Dormouse
Asylum Dormouse

MI



About
I write poetry and stuff... I love Emilie Autumn and the Victorian era, my current project is a fantasy series that I am writing with my friend. more..

Writing