Without A Home

Without A Home

A Chapter by RamenNoodlesX
"

The story begins with the protagonist Veronica Sinclair experiencing a true hardship that begins with her day at her prestigious and wealthy home.

"

Sometimes I wonder why I am still living here. Why do I put myself through all of the pain and suffering that lashes into me day in and day out? Every day is the same routine, the same mundane and painful life that I have no choice but to live. For the choice to be free is but a bird's dream compared to me. Every day I have no choice but to force myself out of bed because I have lost the will to face tomorrow knowing it will be the same as yesterday. Why should I even bother I ask myself? I have no reason to move from my bed, to smile in mirrors, or to dream of anything…ah yes this is what my life is like. This is what my life is like in this home of mine. And let me tell you this: having a house does not make it a home.

This…household…this is the place that gives me a roof over my head and a place to sleep comfortably through the night. I know I should be grateful; I know that I should be very grateful to even have a home when there are hundreds of thousands of people who would give up an arm and a leg for what I have at arm's length. They would do so much for the tangible desires that lie all around me. But I wonder if they would still want what I have when they see what is truly within my home? When hope filled eyes look behind the extraordinary items, and wondrous necessities they will see so much more than that and yet nothing one would ever desire for long.

When they see what lies behind my home's lavish castle walls, beyond the flower garden Ms. Winchester takes care of every morning that is filled with alluring flowers, the fine art of famous paintings, furniture made from the finest materials, a staff of servants at one's beck and call, the food, the clothes, and the many rooms that fill this mansion I wonder if they would feel a sense of security or the feelings of a rich life?

Yes, I describe this house like a castle where I am trapped inside its beautiful, yet barren walls devoid of a true life from within. But I am no damsel in distress, and how I wish I was because then maybe a hero would come to save me. But what reason is there for anyone to save me? I am not in danger or being held hostage by wicked men. I am living in a home built and forged by money so why would I need to be saved?

I am a princess who lives an extravagant life after all. There is food on the table with a meal ready for me any time of the day. All I have to do is walk in and ring the bell hanging in the doorway and the staff of chefs from the kitchen will come to bring me food or cook me up a nice, hot meal. Meals created with only the grandeur of ingredients and the most delicate use of skill to craft the savory tastes. I can watch any show that I want on an enormous flat screen television like a movie theatre in one of the thousand rooms this house has. Oh yes, there are so many rooms that it is quite easy for me to get lost in my own home. It's like walking through a maze with twelve rooms in every corridor and reach room may not serve a purpose besides to show one's wealth off.

My family is quite rich indeed, the richest family in this entire town who has made the Sinclair's name the most prestigious and influential name you can hear part one's lips. Just mentioning my last name will make everyone around me do whatever they can go to get on my good side even if it meant giving up their own dignity. I would be showered in compliments about my long brunette hair I let grow out to my shoulders and how much the elegant dresses I wear compliment me oh so well. They will tell me that I have my mother's bright brown eyes that are so beautiful to gaze upon like they are looking at prestige itself. They will say that my white skin is smooth like the feathers of a dove or whatever romanticized words they will throw at me as easy the money they waste on gifts. It's all nonsense in the end as I am not beautiful in the slightest. You can ask my own mother who calls me a land whale, tub butt, or any other insult she can spew from her witch mouth. My idea of clothes would just be a shirt with no pants but not everyone can dream of that when I have a dress code within my own home.

The only place that feels close to me, the only place that feels safe to me is my own room. There I can be alone and away from the rest of the house as I am high up on the third floor where I am seemingly all alone. There I can be to myself at my desk as I try to work diligently in my rigorous studies for the private high school I attend. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I am very intelligent or anything like that. It's my parents that forced me to go there and they got me in using their influence and money. It's a prestigious state of the art school that excels in academics and in test scores across the district and even the country. However, I will still be the one in the bottom twenty percentile of my class. I am actually near the bottom of that percentile because I simply cannot handle the classes and their work! It is much too hard for a girl like me to attempt math with letters, science with its math, and big words that go beyond redundant use of silent letters! It is hopeless, absolutely hopeless- I don't see why my parents believe I am the next Stephen Hawkins or the next Steve Jobs. Their expectations for me are so high that I have even pulled out my hair out in trying to fulfill their wishes. Their wishes that are so far away, so far away that I can't even begin to comprehend how I could reach out to them! Their wishes are nothing but stars that one could never hope to grasp in one's own hands. It's…hopeless…

Though the reality I have described may not sound all that dreadful and perhaps may sound nothing more than the melancholy of a rich girl who isn't smart enough to be in a private school. But I assure you it is so much more than that. Nothing is as it appears at first glance and just like this luxurious castle built upon the wealth of my Grandfather, the only one in my family to ever care for me, it is surely a terrible place for me to grow and try to define myself…and I fear that my time in this house will soon come to an end today.

"Miss Veronica? Are you in at the moment? May I come in?" I heard Mr. Niles speak to me from the other side of the door behind me. I turned in my revolving chair from my desk to face the door. I told him that he had my permission to enter and so the finely dressed butler pushed his head into my room with a slight opening in my door. From the opening his clouded blue eyed peered through the room until they met with mine. He then opened the door all the way before coming in and gesturing to me with a bow. I noticed that as per usual he wore a full black business suit, black dress shoes, a white undershirt that was tucked in, and white gloves to avoid dirt on his bare hands. His black-gray hair was greased up into a swirl at the edge of his forehead. He was not the typical old butler, and was only a man in his forties. He has apparently served since his boyhood under my grandfather until my grandfather passed the house over to his son, my father. Mr. Niles looked weary no matter what as if he was always carrying a burden on his shoulders which he tried his hardest to keep in the proper frame. His back was always slightly bent when he walked despite being proper to stand and walk up straight with one's head held up high. However, Mr. Niles never did walk with his head held high within this home.

"Ah, I see that you are working diligently in your studies Miss Veronica. I will try to cut my visit to you short as to not disturb you further," he said to me with a slight bow in a form of an apology to me. His kindness and gentle manner was always kind of hard for me to deal with but I simply tried to put on a smile as to not show any ill feelings towards him.

"No, no. It is quite all right Niles. I was just meaning to take a break anyway!" I said as I stretched my arms above my head. Mr. Niles simply looked at me as he raised an eyebrow to my display of weariness.

"Oh? And by a 'break' I assume that means you will avoid doing your work while looking up pictures of funny cats?" he said with a sigh as he placed his right hand on the temple of his forehead.

"But Grumpycat is hilarious! How can he stay so grumpy all the time?" I said while laughing with enjoyment as I remembered the pictures of Grumpycat that I saw online from my thousand dollar laptop. However, Niles did not seem quite amused with my love of cats like I was. He was serious all the time and never laughed at all though I have seen him smile. I stopped laughing awkwardly and I then began whistling to myself and looked away from him.

"Ahem, excusing your insensible admiration for felines. I must inform you that dinner will be ready in ten minutes and I expect you, Miss Veronica, to not be tardy for dinner this time," he began as he just had to go around my room to tidy up the mess it oh so perfectly was, "You have not attended a proper meal with the family this entire week and I will not have you going through life displaying such terrible mannerisms."

I groaned loudly as I sunk lower in my seat from the thought of having a family dinner which involved my family…the last thing I wanted to deal with today is my parents! I simply wished to stay in my room, my safe haven, even though I am not entirely safe even here. Looking around my room I see it is quite dull with nothing special within it. There are no artwork in the room that I have made or asked for hanging up. I would have no idea what to create or want, there is nothing I can think of that would reflect any part of me. I had stuffed dolls of cats in the corner which was my favorite animal after all that looked old but I have taken care of them with love and care. Other than my dolls nothing about my room felt special to me. It had only a single window for me to look out and see the world outside but only my front yard and nothing further. A desk and a chair, a plain bed, some cat dolls, a single window, and my laptop which is the only thing I ever asked for.

I use my laptop every day to explore what I can of the internet. This is where I basically self-teach myself as much as I can about the world to avoid becoming ignorant. I play social games for entertainment from time to time and look at memes of cats. This laptop of mine is the only link to the outside world that I am allowed to have freely. Behind a computer screen and behind walls is my only chance to see the world for what it is. To listen to music which I enjoy so much, but only know of few bands and musicians. I essentially find out about local and global news from the internet alone and through I can slowly understand how the world works. It's the only selfish wish I feel safe with having.

I refocus my attention to Mr. Niles who was waiting for me to say something to him patiently.

"I have two tests tomorrow Mr. NIiles. A free response question in AP Government, and I have to do a presentation for Literature," I told Mr. Niles but he responded back me that I simply had to work with it as it was the duty of a student.

I am not prepared for any testing or school work because of the fitness classes my mother has me attend every day after school which leaves me so worn out that I pass out from the sight of my bed that beckons me to sleep under its covers! I am so overworked, and so weary that I even forget to come eat dinner sometimes- not that I would really want to eat with my parents anyway.

"U-umm…I am not feeling so well today Niles…maybe tomorrow when I will feel better and not having thoughts about jumping out that window," I said as I glanced over to my window that looked so tempting to jump out of that I convinced myself there were marshmallows at the end of the fall from the third floor. Niles simply sighed once more and told me that it is not my place to refuse as my father is demanding me to show up personally. It seems that he is not in the "best of moods" today as Mr. Niles informed me. I ask myself when is he ever in the best of moods? When he is gouging down bottles of alcohol or when he is readying to get his belt for me? Just thinking about it makes me quiver, my heart begins to pound, and the anxiety of it all gives my body a tingling feeling.

It was very difficult for me to face my parents, but my father more so than my mother. He was the one who I feared the most in this world as he was the one who disciplined me thoroughly. So I didn't even bother to say anything more as I rose from my seat and asked Niles to direct me towards the dining hall where we primarily eat together. He was shocked and remarked that he was surprised to see that I am stilling getting lost in this house. I simply replied nonchalantly, "Who wouldn't get lost in a house like this where no one knows where to go?"

With that Niles stayed silent and escorted me out the room and down around a few corners before going down two flights of stairs where we entered the main foyer of the house. I stepped onto its wooden flooring along with Mr. Niles who led me to the room to our right where we could walk into easily with no door in the way. There I saw both of my parents already sat down at the table waiting for our staff of chefs to serve them their meals. I walked slowly in the room with Niles walking around me to greet my parents kindly. My father didn't even bother to look up from his laptop that he conducted a lot of his business with from home. My mother was also preoccupied in reading a book by the title of Thorns, a book about some wife who is having an affair I could make out from what I have seen from peeking at its contents when I had the chance.

My father was a strict and disciplinary father figure who was dressed in his white business suit, black tie and dress pants, black dress shoes, and wore his black square rimmed glasses. Through his glass frames were his firm gray eyes that were hardened by years of tight business. Looking into them one could feel the authority of a king as his glances made one he was the superior. He has clean and kept black hair and tanned skin with slight wrinkles on his forehead with a firm and moderate build. My father appeared menacing and calm at the same time. He always felt like he was in control of everything no matter how farfetched it may seem to believe. He was a strong and capable man that was the head of the entire Sinclair business which preoccupies many other industries across the nation that forms a multi-industry of power and wealth. He was the man on top of everything while everyone else was mere ants cowering under his boot.

My mother had the same hair and eye color as I do with a darker shade of brown in her hair. She was wearing a red sundress with her reading glasses that she took off and set aside on the table. She was a beautiful woman, on the outside at least. She would always preoccupy herself with her appearance as even now she began to powder her nose and then adorn her lips with a red lipstick. Nonetheless, she was a very beautiful woman that all men and I dare say even some women would fall for. She was stunningly beautiful and standing by her I felt like so dull, so monochrome in comparison to her bright and colorful persona of womanly beauty. She did not even bother to glance at me as she fixed up her appearance.

I silently, and I mean as silently as possible I took up a seat at the table my parents sat at and avoided direct eye contact with them as well doing my best which was not hard to speak without permission.

Yet as life would have it, they were well aware of my presence and once I took a seat. My father and mother focused their attention on me and gave me looks that made me feel like I was being looked down upon from someone above me, or to clarify that I was being looked at like trash. The same way my parents view the world outside these walls so I knew the look very well. It was highly uncomforting and made me worry even more about the real reason I am here. I noticed Mr. Niles had excused himself and left me alone with my parents. The staff of chefs was behind the counter in the kitchen working on the meal without paying attention to us. Well I am either about to get told I am adopted and my real parents live far away from here, or I am going to be yelled at for being an incompetent daughter. I vote for the latter in this case.

My father sighed as he began rubbing his forehead which made me apprehensively focus on him. He then stopped and looked dead at me and his stare caused such a shock of fear that I nearly forgot to take a breath of air before he finally broke the silence.

"Veronica, what the Hell do you think you're doing here?" he said to me in an authoritative tone of voice that made me jump a little and caused my lips to tremble as I tried to answer him back. I am not unfamiliar with my father speaking to me like this. But now of all times it felt like I was not even related to him at all. I felt as if the blood that courses through me was not born because of this man.

"I…I don't know what you're talking about…sir," I said lowly knowing full well what his response would be to that.

He slammed his fist on the table and the scowl on his face grew larger. My mother remained quiet but kept a judgmental look on her face, she shook her head at me as if I was just being plain stupid. She almost looked as if she found this all to be amusing.

"You know full well what I am talking about! You didn't think me and your mother would notice? You didn't think that we would ever find out? You…incompetent little abomination for a daughter!" He shouted as he threw some papers that were on his keyboard and onto the table that slid towards me. I slowly lean over and see with freight that the papers read "Expulsion Notice" with the principal and vice principal's signature on the top of the packet of papers. I was speechless as there was nothing I could possibly say to them now. They had found me out…it's over with. My life is officially over with…yet the part of me that was so afraid to have it all end there began to beg and plead for her pathetic little life to not fade away.

"Mom…Dad…I swear I tried my best in school! But it was just too hard for me…I- I couldn't do the work- it was too hard! I had so much work to do every day…and it was exhausting to try and keep up with it all! So please…I…" Before I could even finish with my horrid excuse my father reaches across the table and smacked me across my face with the back of his hand that was turned into a fist. The strike stung my entire left side of my face with an aching sensation. It left a strong impression on my physical image as the strike was strong enough to nearly knock me out of the chair as I slid off of its edges a bit. But, I managed to push myself properly back onto the chair again after a moment. I sat there silently, trembling as I saw my father rise from his seat and begin pacing back and forth on the other side of the table. He had apparently decided to attempt to calm himself down somewhat. My mother was still silent and even occasionally glanced down at her book to read a bit more. She wasn't even that interested in what was happening to me like normal. She could care less if I was hurt in front of her; a mother's should be caring eyes instead watched me inattentively. Even if I was the child she had no choice but to protect in the womb I was born from that protection meant nothing to her now. It was not a duty she considered herself to have as a mother.

My father stopped in his place and it seemed like he was trying to calm himself down with his hands over his mouth now. My father had definitive anger issues that was difficult for him to keep in control except when he was able to acquire any alcohol. However, that at times only made things much worse for everyone around him including his own wife and especially his daughter which made me a constant victim of. But his technique to calm himself down surely failed as he shouted even louder than before at me.

"What the Hell do you think you're doing here? Huh? Huh, Veronica? We give you a roof over your head, food on the table, a bed to sleep in, and the best school in the entire town! That school is one of the key steps you needed to take to be successful in life but you're so far below proficient in school that I wonder why I even allowed you to carry on this long!" He shouted as he put his hands on his head and moved around in furious motions once again, circling the corner of the table.

Any word I tried to get out of my mouth only came in muffled up sentences in a shaky voice. I was so scared that I didn't know what to do against him. It's true; my grades have been so bad for a while that I was threatened that I would be kicked out of school. Truth be told, I knew I was expelled long before they sent the notice. My teacher told me the other day that I was and hearing it then caused me the same fear as now but I wasn't sure when I would be. So I have only been pretending to be studying diligently and instead of attending school I been going to the art museum every day. And by going there I did think of an alternative to try to persuade my parents if it ever came to this.

I worked up what courage I had in between my father's yelling to tell him that I had something to say. Then for the first time in this conversation my mother spoke up surprisingly. She smirked wickedly and tilted her head slightly as she looked at me.

"Oh? The land whale has something to say? This should be interesting, why don't you let her speak Gerald? She is sure to say something amusing for me!" My mother said to my father. He stopped and looked at her for a moment, perhaps wondering if he should even allow me to speak at all or strike me again. He then looked at me and the stinging sensation in my face burned up as if his look alone reminded my body of the pain he has time and time again engraved into my flesh with spilled blood. When he saw that I began to quiver like a small animal he chose to sit back down in his seat and silently allowed me to finally have the chance to speak.

Slowly I began to say, "W-well I know I have been kicked out of school and it looks like I've failed you but…you see I planned on going to another school…one that will allow me to do something I'm good at! You see it has these art programs and-"

"I will stop you right there Veronica," My father quickly said with his left hand raised to stop me. I just as fast silenced myself to let him have his say. He then reached down into his pocket with his right hand and rummaged through his pocket until he pulled out another piece of paper tht was crumbled up. He unrumpled the paper ball into a square before he then placed that on the table and I saw it was the form I sent to the school I just mentioned! Why is that here in this house? I sent that a week ago!

"This school? This normal high school that focuses more on its creativity programs than it does its academic? Are you asking me to allow you to go to this school so you can pursue something as pointless as an art career? Oh…to think I thought you would tell me something like you would try to do harder in school or abandon such frivolous ideas about being an artist," my father said to me.

"But it's not just a dumb idea Dad…sir!" I spoke up loudly and said, "You know I'm not that academically gifted or anything…so why not let me do something I'm actually good at! That way we both can be happy about something, I can be successful as an artist, and you don't have to worry about me disgracing you!"

Oh God what am I saying? So he doesn't have to worry about me disgracing him? Am I truly that pathetic? So low? This is what their parenting has done to me; they have molded me to believe that my life is for them. I am literally begging them to allow me to do what I want for the first time in my life and follow my dreams, and that's only because I fear what will happen next. To pursue my dreams for their sake? My father simply rose from his seat again and shook his head at me with an overbearing sense of disappointment.

"You are useless," he told me bluntly. Those words hurt much more than the smack he gave me earlier. Those words hurt much more than any strike my father could give me or any insult my mother could tell me. Those words struck me deeply in my core; it made me truly feel worthless.

He continued and said, "We have given you many chances, many opportunities to achieve something and actually make something of yourself. Yet you fail every single time! Every time you fail! What more can we do for you? We have given you everything you could possibly need! But all of that is not enough it seems…all of that means nothing. God must be laughing at me for having aided in giving birth to such an inept daughter. This is the last straw Veronica, and you know the consequences of your shortcomings."

"Oh…Daddy…Mommy…no. Please…don't do that to me! I promise I will work harder in school! I'll give up wanting to be an artist! I'll give up anything you want me too, I'll try! Please give me another chance!" I begged of them but my mother simply laughed in my face.

"Oh it's pointless to try and get us to forgive you. You even sent in this form to a school with our signatures forged on it. You sneaky little girl, how could you be so much of low ridden girl? Did we not raise you well enough…? Of course we did! Then surely the fault lies within you alone! Sigh, it seems this is the only option. You are simply a tool Veronica, a tool to uphold the Sinclair name. But if the tool becomes useless, then it must be replaced…or thrown out," She said smiling as she quickly walked over to the kitchen staff and requested one of the chef's knives. One of the chefs handed her a chef's knife and while holding it she walked back over to me and while examining me she had the blade face me and reflect my image in its clean, steel visage. I could see myself clearly within it before she threw it she threw it down to the ground and broke the blade with all her might, shattering it. Then with a snap of her fingers she had the maids and servants come to clean it up and dispose of the tool. Just like that she casted away the tool as I watched the event unfold before me.

"Thrown out you see! Just. As. Easily. As that. You too will be disposed of. A broken tool!" She said as she pointed behind me. That's when I turned around to see Niles had brought down two suitcases with my backpack. They were serious about this. I turned to them with horror on my face and saw that my father had turned his back to me. He no longer was even going to acknowledge I was even here in the same room, the same house that we have lived together in for years! I was nothing to him anymore.

I turned to my mother who had gone over to Niles and began talking to him about something. I had no idea what to say instead of short bursts of pleads for forgiveness.

"Please…Mommy…Daddy…don't do this to me! I am your daughter…we're family. Are you really going to kick me of the house? Just throw me away…and disown me? You can't even do that! I-I'm fifteen!" I shrieked to them loudly with tears rolling down my eyes. I remembered that their threat had nothing against me who was younger than eighteen. They cannot legally disown me until I'm old enough anyway so they can't do anything to me…right?

However, my mom laughed and walked over to be behind me. She bent over with her head right next to mine and laughed in my ear once more before speaking. "Well that would be true in most cases, however, we can disown you Veronica if there are special circumstances. Such as pregnancy…proof of mental, sexual, or physical abuse which you will obviously keep quiet about, or if you say the child is able to support themselves…" My mother then snapped her fingers and Niles came over to me and pulled a wad of cash out and handed it to me in my hands. I looked the money and at first glance I knew it was around five hundred dollars.

"W-what….no! That can't be! Even if I have some money…I c-can't take care of myself with this alone! And I'm too young…and I don't know everything I need to! I have barely even been outside this house besides school…I don't know anything about this town! You can't legally prove I'm able to take care of myself!" I told her but she simply shook her head like I was spouting nonsense.

"Well there is also the case of ..oh what was it…legal wrong doing? You know things like theft…and forgery?" My mother said with a smirk. Then I quickly looked down at the form I sent to the school I wanted to go to which had the signature I forged. I then quickly looked under the form and saw many papers that had my parent's signature on them but resembled my hand writing! They were meant to look like I forged every single one of these! I admit to one paper but not all of this crap! They…set me up…my own parents. They knew I would try to use their signatures…so they…I can't believe it. It was unbelievable, for a child to be betrayed by her own parents that were meant to protect and nurture. But instead they are hurting and destroying me from the inside out! They were breaking me down so easily…utilizing the bond between child and parent to their own advantage!

"We will present our little 'findings' to a court if you try to fight us anymore on the issue. As far as the world knows I and Gerald never had a child named Veronica Sinclair. You never lived in this house and you never attended any school. You never went to any fitness center, and you never had any contact with anyone. We made sure that anyone who has met you will keep quiet…not that you had any friends in the first place that would vouch for you. So…you still think we can't 'disown' you?" My mother said with a lopsided smile that just looking at caused me to shiver. Her wicked laugh, her dastardly smile, and everything about her were just plain evil. Niles wasn't even going to stand up for me; he was completely loyal to my parents and not me. I was alone…I am alone. Salty, clear droplets of water continued to roll down my eyes as I slowly began to accept my fate.

Was there really anything else for me to say to them? Was there anything I could do at all? I couldn't fight my parents; they were much more powerful than I was. They were adults and I was just an adolescent teenager in this world. Practically a child! And the impact I had on this world is insignificant compared to theirs. I had no choice but to rise from my seat, put the money I got from them in my pocket, and march slowly to Niles who didn't even give me a second look as he helped me put on my pink Hello Kitty backpack. He then handed me two heavy suitcases that I was told had a majority of my clothes and the bare essentials. All things I am going to need now that I am homeless.

Now that was a term I never would have expected to label myself with. Homeless…that's what I was now. I have no home; I have no house to return to. This place is a foreign household, and I am stranger in a very strange land.

Niles escorted me to the door and I took one last look at my parents who stood in the entranceway watching me. I didn't expect a goodbye or even a hug or anything like that. But something…anything to prove they were at least human. Niles at least told me that it has been an honor to serve me and he will miss playing chess with me. This gave me a small smile on my face for even though he was a loyal dog. He still could wag his tail for me even if just a little bit. He handed me my brown coat, cap, and gloves to wear over my simple clothing. I then put on my brown boots at the door before he opened the grand door for me that revealed the luscious green courtyard outside of the house with a long pathway leading to the black iron gate that would allow me to enter the outside world where a strong and chilly breeze was coming from. A world I have no idea how to survive in by myself, and have no idea what to do when I get there. I spent my whole live being taken care of by others so how am I supposed to know what to do? I'm scared; I'm frightened that this is the end of my life. Why couldn't I have been blessed with a brain? Been born a boy? Been gifted with the ability to succeed? Am I really a failure? Can I really live on my own like this?

Niles gave me a gentle push out the door, urging me to move on. But it was too fast! Too soon for me to leave the house! Please Mommy and Daddy take me back! I'm your little girl! I'm your daughter! We're family! This is my home! But none of that mattered as I was now pushed out the door just enough for Niles to give me a nod and close the door behind me as easily as that. I looked back and stared at the door for only a second before I dropped everything and ran back quickly to the door.

I began to pound on the door with my fists while I balled my eyes out. I begged and pleaded, and prayed that they would let me back in and reconsider their choice! I was saying anything and everything I could think of for me to be let back in but no one came to the door again. I didn't hear anyone coming to help me or save me. I desperately hoped from the bottom of my heart that I would wake up from this nightmare, and I would be in the warm comfy bed I have slept in for years. I would wake up and stretch my sore muscles, and perhaps I would venture online to see some fan art of television and cartoons. Then I would go downstairs somehow and manage to get me a nice plate of eggs, bacon, sausage, and grits with orange juice on the side from Niles. I would then go and get ready for school with one of the maids picking something cute for me to wear because my fashion sense is terrible. Even going to the school I utterly was inadequate at was better than this! Anything…was better than this!

After a while of crying on front porch of what used to be my house I realized there was no point in trying to get back inside. There was no other way in and I bet security will come to 'escort' me off the premise eventually if I stay here too long anyway. While I was still sobbing and wailing like a five year old girl instead of a fifteen year old one I picked up my things and slowly walked myself to the front gate which was opened by the security guard at his post. He also must have been informed of what happened to me as he allowed me to leave without saying anything to me. I truly had no allies in this house and it seemed like I am just discovering that no one actually cared for me. I cried so much that my eyes were forced closed from time to time. I took one last, and final look to my old home. I saw from the outside for the first time what it truly looked like. It was a grand mansion that honestly felt like a prison to me. So was now a free girl? Free to go anywhere and do anything?

I found myself on the sidewalk of Maryland Drive where the road was busy with cars and people walking on the side. Every single one of them could be going to and from a home of their own, and how many of them will be worried that their parents would kick them out? That they wouldn't have a home to return to? That they won't be able to enjoy the luxuries a home could provide for you anymore? Oh how I envy them now as I am now on the outside of their world, outside my old world, and inside a world I knew nothing about. Their world was an amazing world where one can thrive in and grow. But what was my world?

With a destination in mind but no way of knowing how to get there, I find myself walking aimlessly through the streets. The Hello Kitty charm on my backpack dangling with every step I took. I simply walked to walk as I hoped that I would be able to find out something to do. I don't know what was going to happen to me today or tomorrow. All I knew that right now time was lost to me.

As sometime later of perhaps a few hours or more, I could not tell, I found myself crying alone in a dark alley after walking for that long period of time. I couldn't find any place to take me in or any work for a fifteen year old girl that would also give me a place to stay. I assumed my best course of action was to find any refuge for me. What was I honestly supposed to do? My feet just stopped and my body no longer had the will to keep moving forward. I practically collapsed on the side of a street but had just enough in me to make me walk into in a place where I wouldn't be a bother to anyone. Isn't that ironic? I'm still worried about pleasing others when I really should be worried about myself. I laughed at my own silliness as I thought how some parts about me make no sense. Why am I trying to laugh when I should be sad? Or perhaps I should be smiling and facing tomorrow already? I have no idea who I am anymore. As soon as I lost my home, I began to realize that all I have is me. And I barely even know me. So what am I supposed to do from here?

"The world might as well end with a meteor crash or something…" I murmured to myself as I rested my head on my knees and rolled up into a ball. I had set my stuff down next to me as I sat up against a wall. I was so down and depressed that I didn't think it mattered what happened to me anymore…

"But if the world ended today, then what will I do for Miss Peter's business tomorrow? I wouldn't be able to pay her back for the bread she gave me last week!" I heard a male voice speak up next to me with a slight laugh. I raise my head up turn my gaze slowly to my left to see that there was an actual person sitting next to me! I jumped away and scurried back in a crab walk away from the person. Once I gained what I deemed was a safe distance down the alleyway I inspected the person and saw he didn't look all that dangerous as I thought he was at first.

He was actually from the looks of things a teenage boy who was much taller than me with smooth looking light brown skin and slick black hair that looked somewhat unkempt. He had big brown eyes that looked quite appealing and adorable. He wore a dark red leather jacket with a red and brown scarf around his neck. It looked like he had several layers of clothing on underneath his jacket from the thickness of it. He also wore dark blue jeans that had a hole on his right leg's knee with worn out and dirty white sneakers. He had fingerless brown cotton gloves as well with a silver ring around his index finger. Looking at this boy I assumed he was a delinquent of sorts or someone from a gang or whatever but he looked quite normal and nice enough to not hurt me. He felt…friendly and welcoming. He felt like the kind of person you could sit next to on a bench or on a bus without worrying what kind of person he was at all. I felt…so comfortable as I saw him. He was just sitting in a similar position that I was in the same spot eating a piece of bread in his hands.

I stared blankly at him for a moment not sure if I should say something or run. He didn't seem to mind me much as he looked at the piece of bread he was about to bite into and then looked at me. His look prepared me to make a run for it as I readied to stand up and go but to my surprise he broke off the piece of bread in his hands into a big piece and a small piece then held out the big piece to me.

"Hey little girl, you want some? You look like you haven't eaten anything all day. It's good bread! Miss Peter's bread is the best, I have been eating it for years now and it just gets better and better," the boy said with a smile as he took a bite out of the smaller piece and began grumbling with satisfaction. To be honest that bread did look pretty good at the moment, heck, anything that provided any form of nourishment looked good at the time but I wasn't going to accept food from a stranger!

"I'm not hungry…" I told him lowly and this seemed to disappoint him and his smile dropped as he retracted his hand back to his body. He looked at the piece of bread and thought with consideration for a moment before something came to him.

"Is it because I seem quite shady right? You're a smart girl to not accept food from a stranger so easily. I won't force you to eat the bread or anything like that but you just looked hungry and I thought I should offer is all," he said before he shrugged with a sigh. Feeling a bit safer with this person I stood up and wiped some dirt off my clothes.

"I…appreciate the compliment I suppose. Though it isn't like I don't trust you or anything…however I just don't need your help. I can handle myself! I'm not even hungry!" I told him. But I should have guessed from the luck I was having today something would happen. My stomach grumbled loudly and sounded like it was dying. I forgot I hadn't eaten anything all day, and like always my body seems to betray me.

I was half-expecting him to tell me off for being a liar or something but I instead got a loud burst of laughter from him. He was laughing so hard that he had placed his hand over his chest to try to stop himself from laughing at me so much. I knew I was blushing in embarrassment from being laughed at by a guy I just met! He doesn't know me! He doesn't know about my struggle!

"Stop laughing at me! It's not my fault I didn't get to eat today…!" I tried to tell him off but my stomach growled at me again. My body was fighting against me and could care less about my squabbles with a stranger. It just wants food and that bread he was holding was looking like pork chops. And who was I kidding? Was I trying to be independent? I need that bread! But what little of my pride was stopping me from just taking that piece of bread. What is wrong with me? Haven't I been raised just taking what is given to me without hesitation? I just take and receive, and never stopped to think about it. But why now? Why with this guy do I now stop to consider what it is I want and don't want?

I guess I was lost in my thoughts for a moment too long as I saw him get up from his spot and walked over to me. He stood in front of me and was much taller than I had expected! He stood practically two heads taller than me! He then reached down and took one of my hands and placed the piece of bread in my hands while looking me in the eyes.

"It's okay…you are allowed to be selfish sometimes. Just accept my kindness and continue to smile. We're all human, we all should be allowed to enjoy some things right? Even if it is just a small thing like this piece of bread. And I feel like for you…this means a lot more than that right? So just take it okay?" he said cheerfully. He then patted my head and began walking back down the alleyway to leave. I couldn't believe that he was so kind to me; kindness like this was so heartwarming. He performed such a selfless act without a second's thought about it. Who was this guy? Why was he being so kind? God, just mentioning his kindness makes me feel a bit queasy. Kindness like that on this day of all days is enough to make me break down again and start crying. But I am trying my best to stay tough and not cry anymore. But…this guy…he…

I felt a single tear escape my eyes and slide down my face. I shook my head and wiped that tear away before I began eating that piece of bread vigorously and happily. It tasted so good and I didn't even realize my mouth was watering before I even tasted the dang thing! It made me feel so good, but it wasn't just the bread that did that. Without even realizing it I began sobbing. I saw the stranger hear my tears and he turned around and was obviously shocked when he saw me crying.

"Woah! I'm sorry! I didn't mean to make you cry, is the bread not to your liking? Should I not have given it to you…?" he said to me and when I heard his concern I stubbornly put up a front and wiped my tears away with the sleeve of my coat. And for whatever reason I told him I was fine and he doesn't need to worry about me. He gave me a hard look and I guess he wasn't going to leave me with that alone.

"You're fine…huh? Well then miss, may I ask what exactly are you doing out here by yourself?" he asked me with his arms folded across his chest and his eyes staring at me closely.

"Humph, what kind of man intrudes into a maiden's business like that? I have no need to tell you…but…I am just…going for a walk is all! A simple stroll through the town is all if you must know!" I said with my pretentious nose up in the air as I finished the piece of bread. I then turned from him and walked over to my suitcases that were on the ground. I picked them up promptly and turned to the exit of the hallway I entered through.

"A walk? So do you always take walks with your suitcases and backpack ma'am?" he said dubiously to me as I stopped in front of him. Okay he had me there.

"It's a uh…very…long walk…" I said lowly back to him without making eye contact.

"A very long walk where exactly?" he pressed me with the question as he took another step closer to me. I didn't have it in me to talk about my problems to this guy. I didn't even know him and yet he's sticking his nose in my business. How could I possibly tell him that my parents kicked me out the house? That I am being forced to practically erase my existence from this world? That I have no choice but to suck it all up because my parents are from the Sinclair family? I bet if I even mentioned my last name to this guy he would change his attitude with me in a heartbeat. And strangely…I really didn't like the sound of that. The thought never occurred to me to use my last name to my advantage.

Still trying to speak with some pride, "I-it doesn't matter where I'm going does it? I am going…where…I have to go…" I then pressed forward, determined to leave quickly before I confess anymore. But I heard him call out to stop me and I turned my head over my shoulder to see him scratching his head and looking at me oddly. As if he was debating something in his head.

"Umm…well…it sounds like you really have a place to be but…if you have nowhere else to go for the time being. Then maybe I can show you a place where you can stay the night. It's not a luxurious hotel or a comfy home…but…it does its job. It will give you a bed for the night…and a roof above your head. A meal on the table for as good as soup can get…it's all you need…plus they got some kind people there. So what do you say miss?" he said with a lopsided smile at me. 

I really had no reason to trust this person so easily but nothing in me told me he was a bad person at all. If I did think of a reason to do so it would be that smile of his. Instead he seems genuinely kind and caring. He has been nice to me so far so why not accept his kindness further?

"W-well…okay…but you're walking a few feet in front of me where my eyes can see you! You possible….felon!" I ordered him in my powerful tone of voice. He just laughed at me and dealt a blow to my morale as I thought I sounded really tough. He put his arms up as if he was under arrest and continued laughing as he took the lead. I take it back, this guy is a jerk. But before we kept going he stopped and turned around to face me.

"Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention it. The name's Marlow, Marlow Gonzales. Nice to meet you," he said to me before he held out his hand to me. I wasn't sure if I should take it at first but I knew it would be simply rude not to take his hand. So I dropped my suitcase onto the ground and somewhat hesitantly took his hand that felt a lot warmer than I had expected. But it felt so right to take his hand, and in that moment I felt so safe next to him. I felt secure, like the path before me was being laid out now and at the end of it was…something good. 

He asked for my name and after a second I said, "It's…Veronica…Veronica Sin…umm… Éclair…yeah Veronica Éclair!"

"E…éclair? That's a unique last name. To think part of your name is a pastry dish haha," he said with a laugh. I laughed nervously with him as I thought I wouldn't tell…Marlow who I was entirely. There's no need for me to go speaking the word "Sinclair" around here anyway. I don't want him acting any different or fearing me or anything. Even though it's as if I'm giving my parents exactly what they want. I just have to put up with it for now I thought.

"Well Veronica! You ran into the right guy to help you out, I make a living by helping others," he said with a smile. I then realized that I had to pay him for helping me out which is somewhat understandable and fair for his kindness.

"Ah…I see…I'll pay you something when we get there," I told him in order to reassure him I am able to repay him for his services but he tilted his head to me slightly in confusion.

"Huh? Oh no Veronica, you don't have to give me anything at all. I don't ask for anything in return, ever. What I meant when I said I make a living- is by like- I only feel like I am truly living when I help others. So don't worry about it, it's just another day for me. Though…if after you get to the place you need to go and you ever remember little old Marlow. Be sure to smile okay? It would surely make my day and that's payment enough," Marlow said with a bright and radiant smile that was so inspirational to see. He's so…kind it's beginning to feel a bit overbearing but that's simply because I'm not used to this kind of treatment. There was no way there couldn't be a smile on my face after all of this.

"Yeah…of course Marlow. I will be sure to smile…if I ever think about you. I will never forget your kindness…I'll come visit you at your home if I ever get the chance to one day," I said as shook his hand. However, he laughed...again at me which made once again reconsider everything I thought about him.

"Oh why do you keep laughing at me?" I demanded to know, showing just a slight irritation at his laughter as I pulled my hand away from him. He then shook his head at me and stopped laughing to speak to me normally. Though there was still a slight chuckle between his words.

"Sorry…it's been a while…no a long time since anyone has told me something like that. It's really weird to hear someone mention a home with me…" He said rubbing the back of his head as he looked up to the sky and beyond me. I was confused by what he meant and he then told me something that caught me completely off guard after I asked him what he meant by what he said.

"Well…you see I'm homeless. I don't have a house or anything; I live by myself out here. I've been homeless ever since I was born eighteen years ago. I guess you could call me a hobo or something haha," he said to me which made my eyes widen as I looked at him. This guy was homeless his entire life and he still looks pretty dang good if you asked me. And smells good! And he's three years older me? That's an age gap I wasn't exactly hoping for… Wait, this guy has been homeless his entire life? He has never had a place to call his home? Yet he has the…audacity…the nerve…the daring…to help other people without asking for anything in return when he probably needs it most? Yes, this was the boy I was going to be spending some more time with it seems. Marlow Gonzales, the homeless boy who has nothing but a heart of gold. Our story began there in that dark alley we met in by chance on what should have been the worst day in my whole life. Yet in the end, over the tears, the pain, and overwhelming despair and dread. Marlow showed up…and took that all away. And it seems with him, I am going to see and learn a lot of things…like what it truly means to have a home.



© 2014 RamenNoodlesX


Author's Note

RamenNoodlesX
Sorry for any grammar problems! Looking for constructive reviews! Thanks!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
Added on March 2, 2014
Last Updated on July 20, 2014


Author

RamenNoodlesX
RamenNoodlesX

About
Hi! The name is RamenNoodles, and I'm a young male writer hoping to make a living out of my stories. My dream is to create stories for video games above all! I always enjoyed playing games and the sto.. more..

Writing