The Tears Of The Strongest

The Tears Of The Strongest

A Chapter by RamenNoodlesX

Marlow and I have been close to each other like this for only a moment now. My arms wrapped around him as I close my eyes and hope that I am able to reach Marlow. I wish that it is possible that I am somehow able to mend any cracks in his soul. I do not know how much pain he has encased within him but I aim to pry it open. I want him to know that I am here for him, and know that I...want him to be here for me as well.

Where did such ideas about being close and caring for another come from? Have such thoughts always been with me? Or perhaps all humans have such love and care embedded within them but never realize it. I surely did not realize or understand the depths of emotional capability that I had within me. To think I want to so deeply to care for Marlow. To think I that I am now striving for within my heart for him to return this feeling to me! I want us…to save each other from ourselves. Because right now it feels as if the pain and sadness I have within me has all at once been released from its confines. These human emotions will tear down everything I am trying to rebuild after losing it all so easily.

I used to think myself to be invincible on some level, yet I did not think I was unable to feel pain even with this adamancy I felt. Nothing could bring down the barriers of which crafted the person I thought myself to be. I used to believe that who I was could not be so easily changed by another. That was until my parents single handedly devastated those walls and broke into my core with stone hammers and picks of malice. They so easily broke me down and left me feeling so vulnerable…so vulnerable to myself. I was exposed to my inner demons of grief, anger, and fear that grabbed a hold of me limb by limb. They were now able to reach deeper within me and infect me with these feelings. I was most definitely broken when the doors of my household shut on me for good. What was the meaning behind those walls then? If not to protect myself then what purpose did they serve?

The walls were gone. The walls of my very being turned to rubble and dust as I was left with only myself now in a wasteland of what used to be my sacred identity. My heart, body, and mind used to all be kept together within those walls and formed who I was but no longer do they do so. I question the person I now am and wonder who is the girl I look at in the mirror, I ask who is that young pale girl looking into the grand ravine of water before her, and who is that girl who revels within herself constantly searching for answers. Without my home to hold me I realized I was no longer the same person that I was. Someone entirely new, or perhaps I am now someone that I have always been deep down inside of the old me. I have not been reborn, but instead I have been rebuilt. To be reborn is to be able to breathe a new breath but as the same person. I have been rebuilt from the old me with new parts to become something new but still holds the base of my old self. I wonder if this is what it means to grow up and mature or perhaps this is simply just a mysterious part of life.

As I look at Marlow and see the person that he is now because of the life he grew up with. I realized that one's home is an important part of one's identity. Where one grow up, how one is raised, and who nurtures the young and innocent youth are all important factors in identity. I grew up in a prestigious home that was built upon money that was built upon money from my grandfather. I knew I was safe because my very name guaranteed that. No one would try to harm a Sinclair who were essentially modern day royalty in this town. But that safety also had a negative effect on me because I felt too safe and I desperately wanted to keep that security. I did not want to lose that protection, and that protection made me bow down to my parents more time than I could even fathom. I was not afraid of losing my parents but I was afraid of losing what my parents provided me. So I followed their orders like I was their servant instead of their daughter not knowing I could even fight back or choose for myself all while becoming adjusted to the life of a rich girl. Being able to get whatever I wanted at the snap of a finger did nothing more than spoil me and engraved into me the motion that what I wanted in life would always be given to me. However, what I needed in my life I saw early on would be far away. The one thing I needed more than any materialistic desire was the most basic principal of life. Love.

I needed love. I needed love, I wanted love! My parents, not Mr. Niles, none of the staff, or even that house could give me that. That one thing which I needed more fancy clothes, a roof on my head, or even food to eat! It was just love. All I ever needed above all else was love. The house I grew up in with the family that I was a part of was a home of suppression. I was suppressed by my parents and kept inside the walls I thought I needed. I was unable to grow out of them and be the person whom I wanted to be, feel what all humans deserve to feel, or strive for a life that I wanted to choose! Now I see clearly that my wings have finally been set free and I can now learn for the first time what it means to fly. Holding on to Marlow's back I can see that he too had to learn to fly on his own without his mother or even his father. So right now both of us needed a little push from the other is what I thought. And that push was love to kick start our flights in the air.

"Marlow," I said, speaking softly to him as I let go of his back. He raised his head up and looked up for a moment before he turned to face me. I looked into his eyes that did not show even a hint of sadness but did not have the same spark to it as they did before. That spark of ease and liveliness that his eyes used to show was not there, or maybe it was not so bright that I could see the spark clearly within them.

"Yeah Veronica?" he said back to me, quickly putting on a smile. "Don't worry about me if that's what is on your mind. I am not hurt or anything. My mom passed away years ago and I have already moved on. It does not hurt as much as it used to. Feeling sad or even getting angry will not bring her back or change anything. So I learned to simply move on…and just carry on with my life."

I gave a small smile and said, "I…see. Well if you say you're fine then that's good enough for me. But…just so you know I am here for you like you said for me. If you ever…want to talk…then…"

"Yeah I know. I can come to you right Veronica? I must be really lucky then if a girl such as yourself wishes to take care of me," Marlow said, laughing as easily as ever. I smiled at his sweet words as I thought to myself that this is what I needed. The growing love that people like Marlow can provide for me at last.

"Well I should be heading back to the shelter. It may be a few hours away but I still have a curfew to stick to and I rather not face the consequences of being late," I said to Marlow.

"Right…I rather not face the consequences either. Miss Laurelie scares me on a level that gives me nightmares with a nightmare," Marlow said shivering a bit from the thought. I chuckled a bit at this since I knew it was very true. I then said we best we going right away then but before I could take another step forward Marlow asked me something.

"Hey Veronica, you think you could do something for me?" Marlow suddenly asked me that question. I was surprised he would ask me do something more for him after what we have already done today.

"Umm…sure if I am able to. What's is it that you need?" I asked him.

"Well…not so much as a need but…I was wondering if you could draw something for me," Marlow asked of me. That question came as a huge shock since no one has ever asked me to draw them anything. Not many people even knew I could draw decently in the first place so that could be why. However, still to be asked to draw anything especially by Marlow was a big deal.

"You…want me to draw something for you? Well, umm I have never been asked to draw for someone else. I don't know if I could or if I will be any good at it. So I can only consider it! And I can't guarantee I will…but what is it you wanted to be drawn?" I asked. Marlow went into his thoughts for a moment then came out as he stepped over to me.

"What you would like to draw for me Veronica. And in return…I'll write a song for you. Heck, I'll even perform it for you myself! You get a song and a show in return for just one piece of Veronica's very rare and special artwork! How does that sound?" Marlow asked with a wink.

"Sounds like a bribe!" I exclaimed. How dare he use his swooning musical talents as a way to convince me to draw something for him! It's…effective yes! But I still feel like I am being bribed even when I do have a choice in all of this.

"I prefer to call it persuasion if you're going to call it a bribe. But hey I am not going to give you a deadline especially since I may not need some time of my own. If I am going to make something for another, especially a song dedicated to you. Then I want it to be special. Don't you feel the same?" Marlow said, looking at me in the eyes. My thoughts treaded along Marlow's proposition carefully. Not many girls get songs written for them and even performed I thought. Though I was concerned he may not like whatever I draw for him especially since he asked for anything. On the other hand, Marlow is in the same situation. After a few seconds passed I said I would do but only if Marlow could explain to me why this deal of ours was brought up.

Marlow however just carelessly shrugged and said, "Well…I just thought it would be nice was all! I really enjoyed your art and you enjoyed my music. So maybe we can both benefit from something like this. We're not only doing this for each other but ourselves. It could be good don't you think?"

"Hmm…I suppose so. Very well then you will have yourself a drawing. One of the highest caliber I can muster!" I said, smiling at Marlow who reached his hand out to me to shake on our arrangement. I remembered the first time we shook hands when we first met. I remembered how safe I felt when I took his hand. Taking his hand again, I felt his warm touch as his fingers held my hand. His hands were I noticed, not too rugged but also kind of soft. At that moment I felt safe again as I believed that even something simple as holding hands established a beloved bond between me and Marlow. It served as a bridge between the two of us that was proof of our connection.

After our deal was established Marlow escorted me back to the shelter. Once we arrived he bid me farewell as he still had work to do before nightfall so he could not stay at the shelter. I was disappointed Marlow was not staying but it's not like he has to be around all the time. But I would certainly like it if he did. I walked back inside the shelter, returning to the familiar sights of the people that welcomed me back with odd looks on their faces. It was as if they knew something was going to happen to me that I did not. I would soon find out what that certain something was when Miss Laurelie walks by and spots me like a hawk that was out hunting. She walks over to me, almost stomping the ground with her heels with each step towards me. When she stood in front of me she flicked my forehead as hard as she could and it felt like her fingers alone could puncture my forehead! She was obviously not happy with whatever I did by her unpleased scowl that was on her face even as I was whining from the pain.

"Girl! You best quit complaining about a little flick to the head before I pop you upside your head! Where in Heavens have you been all day? No wait, don't even tell me! This has Marlow written all over this!" she said in disbelief as she shook her head while sighing.

I quickly responded, "I…I apologize Miss Laurelie! Marlow had come to the shelter and he asked me to help out and…"

"Yes, yes I know girl! You don't think I knew what you and Marlow were doing? I. know. Ev-ery-thing! You were out there helping him help the homeless! I know! Who do you think raised the boy since the day he took his first steps in this very room? That boy was raised to be a man who thought of others before himself! Though I am surprised he actually asked you to help since he normally does everything himself," Miss Laurelie said.

"He does…? Well…so…you're not mad at me for going with Marlow?" I said, meekly wincing from Miss Laurelie's looks to me.

"I am not mad that you went on to help Marlow do whatever! I am upset that you left without finishing your chores and somehow making Vivian do them for you! I mean, how the Hell did you even manage to do that? Did you take that girl to church or something? Because she must have met Jesus in person to help anybody else do their chores!" Miss Laurelie said, doubtfully.

"Wait, what? That is crazy! I did not tell Vivian to do my chores for me," I said to Miss Laurelie. Before she could question me further Robbie appeared right between us!

"I think I can explain that," Robbie said just as Miss Laurelie smacked him with her hand in surprise by him appearing out of nowhere. She smacked him so hard that Robbie went flying to the ground. I stood there with hands up as a defensive reaction from Miss Laurelie's quick reflexes!

"Oh Jesus! Robbie…? Boy! How many times will I have to tell you stop sneaking up on Miss Laurelie like that! You know good and well I will smack the life out of you! Miss Laurelie don't play around with no Batman moves! Now get your tail off the ground and finish saying what you had to say before I put a dog's collar around you with a bell!" she ordered Robbie, who didn't even have to wait for her to finish before he stood up while rubbing his face.

"S-sorry Miss Laurelie…I did not mean to scare you," he said to her.

"And I'm sorry I just about took your head off. Now finish explaining yourself. Why did Vivian do Veronica's chores for her?" Miss Laurelie asked.

Robbie looked at me for a second before looking at Miss Laurelie directly to explain himself. "Well…I don't exactly know why she did it. All I know is soon after Veronica left Vivian found out Veronica was out and forgot about her chores. So Vivian found out what she had to do and went around doing her own chores and Veronica's. Then she was caught by you doing the laundry," Robbie explained.

"She did…? That doesn't make any sense…why would she do that for me? She seems like she would rather drink poison before she helps me," I said in confusion.

"Hmm…now in the few years since Vivian has been here she has never done that for anybody. I don't know what you did to or for her Veronica but whatever the case is you best thank her for what she did for you. I am going to let you off just this once but don't you leave this shelter without doing your chores again. Plus I want you to do Vivian's chores for her tomorrow in return for her helping you out and I'mma' tell her that as well you hear me?" Miss Laurelie said, in a strict tone of voice s she pointed her finger at me. I could not argue with that as I did feel I owed Vivian for helping me.

"Yes ma'am," I said back to her.

"Good, now if we're clear then we're done here..." she said before something came to her. She stared at Robbie confused and asked, "Wait…how in the Hell do you know all this Robbie?"

Robbie was caught off guard by Miss Laurelie's question as he shyly looked down from her. "I…well…I was sort of following Vivian around today as I did my chores…"

Miss Laurelie looked so bewildered and confused, "Boy! Why…were you following Vivian around like some sort of creepy stalker? Boys your age shouldn't be doing that! Otherwise you grow up to be like Mr. Michael…"

"Veronica told me to do so! We're trying to befriend Vivian so I was trying to learn more about her!" Robbie quickly said, scared he would get in trouble. Way to prove how manly you are Robbie. You didn't have to say my name like that! Miss Laurelie placed her hands together and breathed slowly into them before she took a step back and cleared her head before addressing us both.

"Okay…if you two want to befriend her then don't go around stalking the girl! If you want to know something about a person there are many ways to do that! You can try asking her yourselves for one thing or even writer her a letter or just talking to the girl!" Miss Laurelie said.

"You…actually think that will work?" Robbie asked Miss Laurelie.

"Hell no! That girl wouldn't even open up to her own personal diary if she had one! It would take a miracle by God himself before she opens up!" she said to us. Robbie and I looked at the other as we thought now any plans we would make might be in vain if she truly is so stubborn.

Miss Laurelie sighed before smiling and said, "But…you two might have a better chance together than anyone else ever will. Vivian helping Veronica out might mean she is trying to open up to you guys. So why don't you try talking to her? You might just get lucky!"

"Or she could take my head off," Robbie suggested.

"Well Robbie let that be a lesson to you that women can be very violent and should not be trifled with easily! It will do you well to learn that lesson quickly unlike a certain someone who gets on my damn nerves!" Miss Laurelie said before we could hear Mr. Michael in the distance yell out.

"Love you too!" he called out.

"BUT AIN'T NOBODY LOVE YOU BACK!" Miss Laurelie screeched back at him furiously. She then slowly looked back to me and Robbie who stared back at her frozen. She then tried to put on a friendlier look as she said, "Well then. You two go on and get to whatever it is you two want to do. Just a quick word of advice, do not push Vivian too far. Go too far and she may never give you the chance again let alone the time of the day. I've known that girl ever since she came through those front doors. She's a tough girl for her age. Very tough. And its people that have to act so tough, that are the ones that once before must have been very weak. Or have a weak side they have to protect. So go easy on her understand me?"

"Yes ma'am," we both said back to Miss Laurelie. She then nodded to us and told us to be on our way. She was going to have a few words with Mr. Michael. We watched as she walked off yelling at Mr. Michael down the hall on a path of destruction. Robbie and I were grateful we weren't Mr. Michael at that moment. Robbie then said that we should take Miss Laurelie's advice and go speak to Vivian. Better than doing nothing. I agreed with him since it was inevitable that me and her chat anyway with being in the same room and all. But I felt pretty good about all of this. What if Vivian really would open up to us? Maybe this was a sign that her heart grew three sizes today! She might even give me…living space! Living in the corner of the room and sleeping on a single bed makes me feel like I am in prison!
We went to what I hoped I could say was our room, me and Vivian's that is. Robbie and I looked at each other, unsure of who should go first. We decided to play rock-paper-scissors who would knock on the door and unfortunately I lost. Robbie took a step back and said he wishes me the best. I glared at him angrily before I looked back to the door. I have never been so afraid in my whole life until this very moment. All sorts of scenarios appeared in my head of what could happen when I knock on the door. What if she opened the door and then slammed it on our faces upon seeing my face? What if she comes out wearing a hockey mask with a machete? I know for sure Robbie would not protect me if she did.

I decided to just suck it up and gather my courage as I lightly knocked on the door. It was at that moment that I was knocking on the door of the room I sleep in!

"Wait! Why am I knocking on the door? I live here!" I said, dumbfounded. Robbie shrugged as he had no idea either.

"I don't know, I just feel better that we did. It's rude to just barge in the room anyway! What if she was like…you know wearing a hockey mask and had a chainsaw? We could've been killed!" Robbie said. At least I was not thinking the same thing but honestly Robbie I wish you would even try to think about my own wellbeing here. We both then heard the door knob turn as Robbie instantly cowered behind me. The door opened up all the way as Vivian revealed herself from behind it. She was in her light blue pajamas already and I was terrified that we might have woken her up.

However, she didn't look like she was sleeping and stared at me and Robbie oddly. "Umm, is there any reason you knocked on the door? You realize you live here right?" she said to me.

"Oh…! Umm….I know that! I was just…trying to be polite!" I said smiling at her. She continued to stare at me like I lost my mind. She then folded her arms across her chest and stared at me.

"So are you just going to stand there or come in? And is the coward coming in too?" Vivian asked, looking at Robbie who ducked behind me.

"Uhh….yeah! We kind of wanted to talk to you about something if that's okay," I said, shyly to her. Vivian sighed and rolled her eyes at me.

"Well it's actually not okay but it's not like I have a choice. I do have the luxury of sharing a room with you. Might as well come in," she said as she moved aside to let us in. I bowed my head slightly as I smiled at her and walked in with Robbie clinging to my shirt. I could feel Robbie cringe when Vivian looked at him as she closed the door. Vivian then walked over and sat at her desk as I sat on the bed. I then looked over and saw Robbie covering his eyes with his hands.

"Robbie? What are you doing?" I asked him.

"I'm trying not to look! I might see something I shouldn't! This is a girl's room! Yours and Vivian's!" he said frantically.

"Actually it's just my room. She's just living in it," Vivian responded. I swallowed the fear that appeared in my throat for even saying this was my room.

"Just open your eyes Mary. It's okay to look at girls for once though I know that's not in your tastes. There's nothing lewd in here that you can't see," Vivian said to him, speaking to him as sarcastically as always. I didn't for myself until now but Vivian does seem to be harsher to Robbie. She knows as well as I do that Robbie is gentler than most people so why treat him like that?

Robbie removed his hands slowly and opened his eyes anyway. He then slowly looked around the room until he jumped back and covered his eyes. "Vivian! You did not clean your room?"

"No, it's my room. It's not like my roommate is all for cleanliness as I am. Don't tell me a few clothes lying around bothers you so much little Mary?" Vivian asked, chuckling, as Robbie who shook his head.

"No…but the specific clothing that I can see on the floor does! It's obscene for me!" Robbie said, as he pointed to a spot on the floor while still covering his eyes with a single hand. Vivian and I both glanced over to the ground and saw a bra lying on the floor.

"Oh Vivian! How could you leave that on the floor?" I said as Vivian rolled her eyes.

Vivian then said, "Oh give me a break! You're bothered by bras too? Get over it! Besides maybe it would do him some good to see a girl's underwear for once."

"Vivian! Don't say things like that!" I exclaimed to her. But Robbie told me it was fine as he removed his hands and opened his eyes. He tried to avoid eye contact with the underwear on the floor so I went over, picked it up, and stuffed it in Vivian's underwear drawer. I could not believe Vivian made a jab to Robbie's sexuality like that. I mean Robbie never mentioned it but he did not have to. I have no problem with it so I never brought it up. I wonder if Vivian did or something.

"Well now that the scary bra is out of sight would you two mind explaining to me what it is you two want? Or should we move on to talk about Victoria's secret?" she said, speaking rudely to us as she leaned in her chair. I resisted the urge to shout at her as I saw Robbie just stand quietly. He said nothing at all and I could tell he must be so used to Vivian's behavior that he just grows silent when it happens.

"Alright…we umm. Well I especially wanted to ask you…why did you do my chores for me today? What reason would you have for helping me out?" I finally asked Vivian. Vivian's expression became calm as she stared at me. Her eyes darted to the corner of the room for a moment as I guessed she did not know what to say to me. She then looked back at me and said she didn't do it for me. She did it simply because she knew Miss Laurelie would pass it on to somebody anyway. So she took it upon herself to do it since Robbie would take too long to do it all.

"Oh…I see. Well…thanks for helping me out then," I said to her, trying to be nice. However, Vivian just shook her head at me.

"Whatever, just make sure you do your own chores for now on okay?" Vivian said.

"Well…I have to do your chores tomorrow Miss Laurelie told me. I have to make it up to you for what you have done for me," I said.

"Oh, really? Well I guess I can sleep in tomorrow then! Some good came out of extra labor after all," Vivian said as she rested her face on the top of the chair. Vivian had cut the conversation short with her responses and made no effort to speak anymore to us. I felt foolish for even trying to get through to her or thinking that she would even show a fragment of kindness to us. I know we just met recently and barely know each other but that just makes me want to know her. How does she expect me to live with her and not get to know each other?

"So is that it? The two of you came in here just for you to thank me?" Vivian asked as she looked at Robbie. Robbie looked up from the ground and looked back at Vivian sadly. I was about to explain why he was here somehow before Robbie spoke up.

"I came here, along with Vivian to also a-ask….if you wanted to be our friend Vivian. I want you….we want you to try to open up to us. W-we just want to be closer to you," Robbie said, his hands fidgeting. Vivian sat back and looked at me and Robbie with her head slightly tilted. I wondered if it was a good idea to spring that on Vivian at that moment with the way she was acting. However, when I looked Robbie in the eyes I felt that he must have thought he had to at that moment. Otherwise he may never ask her.

But Vivian crushed any hopes Robbie may have had and said "No thank you. I don't want any friends, especially you two. Now if that is all then can you just leave me alone?"

I stood up from the bed instantly and yelled at her, "Why do you have to be like that? We were just trying to be your friend!"

"I never asked for you to do that! I never asked for you two to try to be my friends! Is it so hard for you two to just… leave me the Hell alone?" she yelled back at me. I was so angry and fed up with her attitude at that moment. It enraged me to think that someone who was so stubborn and bad-tempered! But it was at that moment that Robbie stood up and took my hand. It surprised me when he did and I saw Robbie shake his head at me. I looked at him for a moment before I calmed down and said nothing more.

He and I both then looked at Vivian who was looking away from the both of us. I felt bad that I acted like that and lost my temper in front of Robbie. Vivian was the first person I actually got so mad with before. I never had the courage to flare up in front of my parents but with Vivian, I just naturally responded to her with my anger. She simply keep bringing back up that anger I have long felt been suppressed.

Then at that moment Robbie said to Vivian, "You never had to ask us to be your friend. That's true…but you never had to ask for a lot of things Vivian. You never had to ask for kindness, the ability to laugh and smile, or even this room to stay in. But some things in life…are just graciously given to you. Like friendship, it's not always asked for. Sometimes it's just given. And I won't give up…on trying to give you that. And neither will Veronica. Ever."

I saw Vivian did not say anything back or even look at Robbie or me. With that Robbie led us to the door by his hand and walked us out the room. Once outside, Robbie was still holding onto my hand when he asked me if I wanted to be in his room for a while. I looked back to Vivian's door and thought we all could use a break right now so I accepted his offer.

That night I was sitting on the bottom bed in Robbie's room. Robbie did not have a roommate since Marlow was the one who sleeps in his room from time to time Robbie told me. Robbie's room was very clean without any trash or clutter on the floor. It was the same sized room as Vivian's with the same furniture and items within it as hers which I assumed was standard. Except they were are a regular brown wooden colored unlike her blue ones. Robbie sat at his desk working on some financial papers for the shelter while I took out my small sketchpad and was trying to think up what to draw for Marlow. I did not have much of an idea of what to draw though so I looked over to see what Robbie was doing. He was still working on those papers and he seemed quite into it. He must have really enjoyed math and finances.

He then stopped working with the pencil he was using and set it down. I saw him look unhappy and was thinking about perhaps Vivian. He then asked me while looking over his shoulder a question.

"Do you think…Vivian just plain hates me for no reason? Ever since we met she has treated me like I am her enemy. I have never done anything to her…at least I think I haven't. I feel that there is nothing I could have done to her…so why does she act this way to me?" Robbie asked. He then turned around in his chair and looked at me as I set aside my sketchbook.

"I don't think that's the case Robbie. How can you hate someone without a reason? Plus she treats everyone this way including me and even Marlow. I do feel there is a reason but whatever it is she won't tell us. I don't know what to say," I said as I shook my head. Robbie looked down at his hands which he had together. He stared at them before he began to speak about his past.

"You know Veronica, before I became…homeless I remember back at my old school that we had these plants in my homeroom. My teacher was asked to take care of them because the gardening club simply did not have enough room in their own space. My teacher took the plants and announced it was the class's responsibility to take care of them. Yet…no one did. No one bothered to water them or make sure they were getting enough sunlight. Everyone except me. I was the only one bothered to take care of the plants since no one else would. Well, I did not do it because no one else wanted to. I…did it because I was scared that if I did not take care of the plants then no one ever would. I was afraid they would simply be abandoned…and alone," Robbie said. I understood what Robbie was trying to say already. He was comparing the flowers to Vivian. He felt he has to do something for her otherwise no one else will bother to do anything for her. He fears what loneliness will do to her just as I did.

"I don't want Vivian to end up being a flower that wilts away. I want her to be able to grow into the best person she can be. I don't want her…to feel what I have felt before. I know what it's like to be alone…and abandoned by others. I don't want her to feel like that…ever," Robbie said as he looked at me directly. Robbie was feeling so sympathetic that he even shed a tear that he wiped away a moment after I saw him. He cared so much for other people that it was astounding. A heart like Robbie's I thought was rare. He and Marlow shared that quality between them when it comes to caring for others. I got up from the bed and walked over to give Robbie a hug. He hugged me back as I felt a few tears go into my shirt as I felt some come from me. Seeing Robbie this way reminded me that I too know what it was like to be forsaken like that. It happened to me only some time ago and I decided to tell Robbie that.

"Robbie, I know what you're feeling. I know what that is like. I too, was forsaken like that. You see I became homeless not too long ago. My parents...they kicked me out because I failed in their eyes. I was a failure so they felt I was no worth the trouble of trying to be taken care of. It did not take them long to make the decision nor did it even take five minutes before I was locked outside my front door. No matter how long I cried, how loudly I shouted, or even how much I banged on the door. I was not let back in. I won't ask…about what happened to you. You can tell me that yourself when you feel like talking, but just know I understand. And somehow…we will make Vivian understand as well." I then let go of Robbie after I confessed that. We both wiped our eyes and tried to get ahold of ourselves. It must be really easy for people our age to break down because of the stories of why we are homeless. We were so young after all and barely got to experience the world. Now we are living without our families or our used to be homes and trying to live independently in the world. It was hard…it was very hard for us. But we both told the other that we value the other as friends.

Later during the night, long after I returned to Vivian's room to sleep and saw Vivian was thankfully a sleep when I got there. I heard what I thought to be crying as I lied in my bed. It did not come from and it surely did not come from Vivian. It sounded far away and was kind of faint but I heard it nonetheless. I double checked under my bed to see if it was Vivian but she was sleeping soundly. I then realized it was coming from outside somewhere. I decided to investigate it as I quietly slipped out of the bed while wearing my cat themed pajamas. I then tip toed to the door and opened it silently before stepping out into the northern hall. It was empty at night with everyone being inside their rooms or gone during the night to be elsewhere. I tried to listen for where I heard that crying and looked around until I saw a small light at the end of the hallway to my left. It looked like there was a cracked door that was letting some light out and it almost sounded like the crying was coming from there.

I moved quietly through the hallway as I stuck to the all and moved towards the light. When I got to the corner of the hallway I peeked around the wall to see the light came from Miss Laurelie's room. It then sounded like a woman was crying from within but that could only mean Miss Laurelie was crying! I never thought the day would come when I would hear her cry. Today must be a day filled with tears I thought. There was no way I could just stand by as Miss Laurelie cried like that so I decided I would go in and speak to her. However, as soon as I walked over to the door to go in Mr. Michael came out with his back turned and closed the door behind him gently. He then turned around looking bitter, perhaps about who I believe is Miss Laurelie crying. I never seen Mr. Michael with a somber look on his face until that moment.

When he saw me he looked surprised and quickly took me by the hand away from Miss Laurelie's room. He took a little bit down the hall I just walked down and asked me what I was doing out my room so late as he let go of me. I swiftly look around him back down the hall where Miss Laurelie's room was. I could no longer hear Miss Laurelie crying anymore with her door closed. I then looked back to Mr. Michael as I stared at him.

"I…heard crying…from my room over there. I was wondering who was crying so I thought I would go see who it was. It was Miss Laurelie wasn't it? She was crying, Is she okay? She was not hurt or anything was she?" I asked Mr. Michael. He put his hands on his hip and looked to the side. He then kneeled down and looked at me at eye level.

"Look, don't worry about it okay? Miss Laurelie isn't…hurt or anything like that. She's fine all right? She just heard some really upsetting news is all," Mr. Michael said to me.

"Are you…quite sure about that?" I asked him. This time Mr. Michael seemed like he did not have an answer for me that time. He sighed before taking a deep breath. I then noticed that there was a bit of blood on his lip at that moment.

"Mr. Michael! You have…blood on your lip…" I said as I stared at his face. He placed his hand on his mouth and rubbed downward then checked his hand to see what I was referring to. He looked surprised to see it was there. "Mr. Michael….what is going on? Is everything truly all right?"

He then tightened his hand into a fist and looked at me. Despite how Mr. Michael may act I could tell when looking in his eyes that he did not want to lie to me. But he also must have felt very strongly that he could not say what was really going on. So he just asked me gently if I could just return to bed without mentioning this to anyone. I wanted to question him more about Miss Laurelie and why she was crying and why he had blood on his lip. I could only imagine what had happened and I feared even more what was going on. But for now I did as Mr. Michael said and returned to bed. I couldn't just go to sleep since my mind was still wondering what was wrong with Miss Laurelie. Mr. Michael's sudden appearance also was strange to me. Miss Laurelie and him always seemed to have a bickering relationship and could not get along is what it looked like. So why was he there? Why was she crying?

I turned in my bed constantly as I tried to figure everything out but without much information came up with nothing. But if that truly was Miss Laurelie crying as I thought it was. Then I could understand Miss Laurelie's words much better. She said even the toughest people are the ones that have been really weak or have a weak side they must protect. And that means even someone as tough as Miss Laurelie has a weaker side. It does not matter how strong you are because when it comes down to it. We are only human and inside us is weakness.


© 2014 RamenNoodlesX


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
Added on July 21, 2014
Last Updated on July 21, 2014


Author

RamenNoodlesX
RamenNoodlesX

About
Hi! The name is RamenNoodles, and I'm a young male writer hoping to make a living out of my stories. My dream is to create stories for video games above all! I always enjoyed playing games and the sto.. more..

Writing