Proof Of Change

Proof Of Change

A Chapter by RamenNoodlesX

Two weeks have gone by since the day I first became homeless. Two long and eventful weeks have passed since the fateful day I was thrown out of my home by my parents. I now live in a shelter owned by Miss Laurelie and spend time with my new good friends Robbie and Marlow. It's the same routine every day for me and Robbie here at the shelter. Early every morning we wake up to begin our day of chores that Miss Laurelie sets out for us. After an hour or so we will get breakfast which is normally oatmeal or no name brand cereal and milk. A lot of the food and drink we have at the shelter is either donated to the shelter by gracious people or bought by the shelter from cheap dollar stores. I don't necessarily mind though but it is a big difference from the square meals of my mansion. I was beginning to think I must have been quite spoiled by everything that was given to me. Yet, all of those privileges I had at my old house I all took for granted in the end anyway.
I normally eat breakfast alongside other homeless including Vivian and Robbie. Vivian of course does not speak to Robbie or me at all. It makes me wonder why she even chooses to sit with us in the first place if she won't even talk to us. We tried to speak with her but of course her responses are less than satisfactory. But we don't let that stop us from talking with the other and trying to enjoy ourselves. Marlow comes to visit from time to time to come help out at the shelter or stop by for a meal. It's always humorous to see Marlow get scolded by Miss Laurelie for mainly coming here for food. But I see Marlow has not changed much since the first time we went out together to help those two sisters. He's still smiling as cheerful as ever and so life was…normal for me.
I have gotten used to the cycle of waking up early to perform a full day's work of chores. It's still very difficult for me to do these chores alone and I still make a mistake quite frequently I must say. I'm starting to get really good at it! Good at making mistakes it is. Miss Laurelie says I am beginning to become very creative at this point. I'm lucky that no one ever truly gets mad at me for messing up but soon they say I will get better at them. I hope that time comes soon so I can truly feel like I can do something for myself. I am always so dependent on others to help me and I'm afraid of what this dependency can do to me. I have to learn to be independent someday, being homeless means I have to take care of myself in this new world. I have to be strong I tell myself every morning before I get ready for the day. I have to be strong, stronger than I was yesterday and the day before! Otherwise, I will be easy to break down like I was two weeks ago.
To continue, in some evenings when I am free I may go out to go see Marlow at his place. And just like Marlow said he is usually if not always there when I wanted to go see him. I would catch Marlow usually coming back from a job he has done or is relaxing as he stares out to that lake in front of his tent. I wonder what is so special about this lake that he continued to stare at it so. He becomes lost in its water filled portal and I feel his mind goes to a completely different place. That lakes pulls Marlow in and takes him somewhere that I wish I could see as well. My eyes too wishes they could get lost in the water painting it sees as my heart wants to feel what Marlow feels.
However, Marlow notices me quickly and would always smile before saying hello to me. Then the both of us would go out on a job sometimes to go help people in town. Sometimes it was not always the homeless we helped but anyone who may needed it. We would do odd jobs and simple tasks that Marlow thought I could handle fairly easily. Just the other day we got bags and went collecting cans we saw around the part of town near the shelter to clean up and then give to a recycling center. Spending time with Marlow to do good deeds always made me feel so light. Like I was floating from being lifted by all the people's gratefulness when they thanked us for helping them. I was surprised at how much heart people will show when you do something for them that they truly need with nothing asked in return. A good deed for the sake of helping others was something special Marlow taught me.
Sometimes, the people still give us something to return the favor but Marlow will hesitantly accept money from them. He only takes money when he absolutely needs it for his own personal reasons. If not then he will kindly decline their offer. I could not believe at first sight that Marlow was so humble but it is understandable when one thinks about the home life he has grown up with. A home that was unique all in its own and filled with love and grace. People who showed them the good side to humanity and that transferred to Marlow who grew up with those feelings inside of him. Now look at him. If I did not know any better than I would say Marlow was one of the best human beings in the world.
Today, Robbie and I got finished with our chores earlier than we expected. We had just got done changing the light bulbs in each part of the building out with new ones. We got our chores done quicker since Vivian was told to work with us today so we could get more chores done. It was definitely a most joyous occasion having her around. Speaking sarcastically of course, something she has definitely taught me all about in every form it appears. All she would do is make sarcastic remarks and speak rudely to Robbie or me each time we tried to communicate for the sake of our work. And ever since the day Robbie and I tried to confront the other she has been crueler and harsher to the both of us. It's like her hatred for us grew and she instead of before when she only acted like that when we interacted with her she now acts like that to us even when we did nothing to her. She continues to call me names like princess and mutt while calling Robbie a little Mary and a girl. It was hard to resist letting my anger take control and fighting with her. Especially since Miss Laurelie noticed the tension and said if we fight than we could very well be thrown out. She will not condole any violence of any sort within her home and if anyone hits another then they will have to deal with her personally.
Which reminded me that Miss Laurelie was also acting as normal as I have known her to be along with Mr. Michael. They both have gone about their business without any changes in their behavior or actions. Miss Laurelie still heads to her first job during the day where she works as a customer service associate for a trucking warehouse. Then in the evening she comes back to check up on the shelter, fix dinner, and without even resting she gets ready for her night job at bar she has been working at for years. She works so hard for the shelter like a strong single mom that looks after us all. She only gets a few hours of sleep at night before morning comes and her day starts all over again. She is really amazing and admirable but I wish she did not have to work so hard every day. I wish I could so something to give her a break but her matters are adult fairs that I can do nothing for.
Mr. Michael's daily routine was still a mystery to me that anyone I asked had no answer about either. No one seems to know where Mr. Michael disappears to during the day or the night. Some says he works all day and night at a job only Miss Laurelie knows about. I would like to think he is not doing anything shady but he seems to fit that kind of work. But, he is always nice and sometimes charming in his own way whenever he feels like chatting with me. He always asks me first if there was anything if I would need to which I say I would be fine. He would nod his head and pull out a small note pad and check off something on it before putting it back in his pocket He would then relax himself and ask me how Miss Laurelie was doing. I would explain to him that she is the same as always from my understanding which made him look relieved. Ever since that night Mr. Michael seems to be able to speak with me with regards to Miss Laurelie as if she was our shared responsibility now. We would not talk about much else before Mr. Michael wishes me farewell and left, but not before he would tease Miss Laurelie and be chased out by her with a frying pan or whatever object she could find. They were such an interesting duo I thought. I hope I can learn about their story one day.
I also decided that in order for me to create something that Marlow would appreciate I have been drawing everyday if I am able to. I draw anything that I see from the trees in the courtyard and green grass that has settled around it. I would draw the flowers I saw in vases, the decorative murals, and especially the colored glass. I found my sketch pad becoming filled with doodles so quickly in such a short time. As I was searching for anything I could find to draw I found myself naturally gravitated to drawing people.
I asked the people of the shelter if I could practice drawing them and a lot of them did not mind me using their faces for my artwork. In matter of fact it was a good experience since as I would draw their bodies or faces they would tell me all sorts of interesting stories. I found myself enthralled by their stories that they would tell me. Some would tell me about their lives before being homeless and the jobs they worked early in the day to late at night in order to take care of their families. Others would share their sad tales of what brought them here to this shelter. I remember one man in particular by the name of "Ricky" who calls himself that since he believes he used to be a boxer in the professional league. Or at least he was until he lost in the ring to Ricky Ba Boa himself even though I thought that was just a movie. It was funny to listen to him talk about his days as a boxer who would knock every man out with a single punch! A lot of them had funny stories and I would listen to all of them as I tried my best to capture their life in my art. I would forget that I was supposed to be drawing the people themselves and instead reciprocate their stories in my art.
I was simply so captivated by their lives that I could not help but put it on a piece of sketchbook paper with my pencil. How carefully I would listen to their stories so I could make something that would reflect their tales as best as I could. The pencil in my hand that I borrowed from Robbie would practically move itself as I got faster and faster at creating details and imagery that molded together to create my art. All inspired by the tales of people and in the end I began to believe that the work I have created is the person themselves. Even if I did not draw the person themselves if I could just mimic their lives in my drawing then I would feel like I am looking at the person who was looking back at me from my sketchbook. Their stories came out as words and those words became pictures that came together to form the person. I was amazed by this discovery of mine, the discovery of the power that is art and its ability to create or recreate people's lives in a single picture. If I had lived my whole life back at that castle of mine then I perhaps never would have discovered this treasure lying beneath the sand.
But something I enjoyed doing just as much as drawing people and their lives were drawing houses. It was odd and perhaps an odd choice for me to enjoy doing. I thought my sketchbook would be filled with cats (which there were also drawings of) but instead I spent a large portion of my time to carefully construct houses. Not just houses but blue prints and designs of houses that were simple in their creation. I would start it off like any other blue print and map out all the rooms and what I want in each of them. I would imagine some rooms had large beds and closets or an upstairs and a basement. I would map out each room with different sizes and shapes and in different places each time. It was really basic and nothing as vivid as my "Life" drawings as I named them of people. It was strangely just really enjoyable and…it is odd to say but I loved doing them. I enjoyed making houses and the best part of making these houses would be at the end where I would imagine me living in one of them.
I imagined doing all sorts of thing in these "houses" of mine. I would jump on the bed as much as I want with no one telling me no. I could go to all the rooms while screaming from the top of my lungs with no one telling me to keep my voice down because I was murdering animals! I could go up and down the stairs over and over or at least until I get tired which would not be very long. Best of all I would not be able to get lost in these houses since they wouldn't be so dang big! Normal sized houses that normal people would live in and do normal things. A normal place for a girl like me who dreams to be normal. I believed that if I one day was able to live in a normal house then I could finally be normal too. And within the walls that sit outside of reality in my own mind I felt free. Free at least from everything I could think of that made me feel trapped. I hoped not just for me that everyone could have a home where they feel this freedom and bliss.
I was sitting with Robbie in his room, which had become our place for us both to relax. I was glad he allowed me to be here whenever I wanted to work in quiet without any interruptions or noises. I would sit alone in his bed as I worked on my art and he would bet at his desk working on more finances for the shelter or by chance he would be reading. I noticed Robbie does math quite a lot and despite his look he very calculative. I seem him working out problems in his head mathematically and logically when he is faced with one. He could do long math problems in his head with such ease I would say he was gifted unlike me. He was so well adverse in math that Miss Laurelie trusts him with the finances of the shelter which from what Robbie told me are very important. Robbie was able to take some ease off her shoulders since she no longer had to handle it. One time Robbie tries to teach me to improve my own math skills since I was out of school now and no longer receiving an education. Even though I was definitely not excited about doing math again but I knew I would need it. But I was so hopeless at it even Robbie struggled to teach me simple stuff but he would find a new way to teach me and if that did not work then he would find another. He was as patient s always and I think he found it to be a challenge to teach me, a challenge he enjoyed. The end result would be me sitting at his desk as he plotted on the paper in front me of different methods to solve a problem and I could choose which one I worked the best with. I was amazed at Robbie's talent and his teaching ability. I wish I had a teacher like Robbie instead of the one at my private school. I think that guy had it out for me anyway, calling me Ms. F. all the time in class. How rude I must say. I was a solid F+ if not anything else.
So while Robbie and I relaxed in his room after finishing our chores some time ago we heard a knock at the door. Robbie turned in his chair and told me he would go get the door. I watched as Robbie got up and walked to the door before opening it. We were both surprised to see Marlow come through and greet us but even more surprised he looked like he was contemplating something.
"Hey Marlow, come on in," Robbie said as he let Marlow in through the door before closing it. Marlow said hello to us both before I moved over so he could take a seat next to me. I was slightly nervous from having Marlow so close to me, especially since I knew I did not look hot in the slightest. I was a hot mess if I had to use the description for myself somehow. I mean I didn't have to care about my appearance with the people in the shelter and I especially did not have to look pretty with Robbie around who didn't care in the slightest as long as I wore clothes that covered my body. But ignoring my aesthetic concerns for a moment I refocused on Marlow with that concerning look on his face.
"Hey Marlow, what's going on? You look troubled," I said to Marlow as I looked at him empathetically.
"Ahh, it's not a huge issue or anything well I sort of is. Well it's Vivian and she is acting a lot worse than she usually is," Marlow began.
"Did she learn to breathe fire?" I asked nonchalantly.
Marlow shook his head and said, "No, or at least I hope not. But when I tried saying hello to her. She just…I don't know. She looked like I was the worst thing that could have happened to her today."
"What do you mean? Like she looked at you the wrong way?" Robbie asked.
Marlow thought about this for a moment before responding to Robbie, "I guess you could say that. But it was not just in her look but her everything. She treated me so distantly like the walls around her stretched out even further. I don't know what has gotten into her today."
"Veronica and I have been noticing her behavior get worse lately as well. I think something might have happened to her ever since we tried to talk to some time ago," Robbie said. Marlow then remembered when I mentioned that to him when we had a chat a few days ago so Marlow was up to speed. We all then thought about what we could do at that moment. It was clear to all of us that Vivian is on a spiral downfall.
"She has never acted this badly before…what set her off?" Robbie questioned out loud. Thinking about that something came to me.
"Well…she has not always been like this right? Not until….I came to the shelter," I said in realization. Marlow and Robbie quickly denied what I said but I knew it was true. Vivian has become crueler and has closed her doors shut tighter than they ever were before. Just by me being here I have made things worse for Vivian. I have upset something about Vivian's life and it was all my fault. I knew at that moment that what I was feeling was guilt. I felt guilty that I was responsible for whatever happened to Vivian. I knew that somehow this must seem unbelievable and idiotic for me to blame myself but what do I blame this all on. I had to do something to make things right with Vivian.
"I have to do something…I have to help Vivian somehow. But what can I do?" I asked myself out loud.
"Maybe I can be of some help with that Madam Veronica," we all heard Mr. Michael say to us as he stood in the room with us.
I shrieked when I saw Mr. Michael standing there, "Oh my lord! W-what? Mr. Michael? When did you….? Oh, so that's where Robbie gets it from."
"Get what from?" Robbie asked.
"Oh, nothing!" I said back smiling at Robbie who looked confused. Mr. Michael stepped closer to us as well focused on him.
"Mr. Michael, you said you could be of help to us? Do you know what has been going on with Veronica lately?" Marlow asked. Mr. Michael looked around the room at each of us and then laughed suddenly. He laughed for a moment as well stared at him, puzzled by his sudden laughter. He then looked at all of us seriously as his eyes drooped lower almost as if he was gazing at the ground but not quite.
"Well guys," Mr. Michael began as he walked back and forth in front of the door slowly. I think what Vivian is going through right now is something, people like us go through. Homeless people I mean. For most of us time goes by either real quick or really slow. Most homeless in the country are suffering from two thing that I have seen throughout my days. Illness and boredom. Most homeless simply have nothing to do so even going to the store to buy what few things they can afford will become an all day activity. All they do is push a cart around until they get kicked out the store. But boredom is not my point here. Time is. You see what we have in here that people out on streets don't is our sense of time. We can keep track of the days with the calendars we have and the people around us. Sure those out on the streets could ask people passing by but some people would not even give any of them the time of the day. But time can be a tricky thing. Because there is one day of the year that none of us will ever be able to forget. The day we ended up…right here…" Mr. Michael said before he knocked on the wall of the room.
"Right…here. Not just in this shelter but on those streets. Or perhaps just when we got our first eviction notice, we see the sign on our lawn that our house is being sold, or the day we simply just lose it all. The day we become without a home. And want to know what I think? I think today is that very day for Vivian," Mr. Michael said to us before he leaned against the wall. We all looked at the other as we considered this. I stood up from the bed and looked at all them. I closed my eyes and thought back to the scars I saw on Vivian's back that she was so scared to reveal. She is afraid to show any pain to anyone. Any weakness and I felt that inside of me she is still trying to hide her pain.
"What Mr. Michael said could very well be true, but it is a fact that how she became homeless can be at the root of how she ended up this way. That bond I felt with Vivian when I first saw her on that day I know I won't forget. The day I became homeless I met Vivian. She met me. And I just know…she felt something with me that day too. I'm tired of watching her act like this. It may not be my place or my business but I have to do what I can to understand her. I'm going to talk to her," I said. The next moment I am already pushing open Robbie's door and marching outside of it. I heard Marlow tell me to wait but I did not listen. I had to find Vivian!
I walked through the hallways, even ignoring the people who said hello to me as I walked by. I heard Marlow and the rest chasing after me as I stormed through the halls. I already had a guess of where Vivian could be but I knocked on the door to her room first. When I heard no answer I opened the door quickly and peered in to see she was not there which meant she could only be in the kitchen. Just as Marlow and the others caught up to me they tried to stop me.
"Veronica! What are you doing?" Robbie asked me.
"I….don't really know myself!" I responded quickly.
"Do you…have a plan?" Marlow asked me.
"Not at all!" I said back to him.
"Oh boy! Now this is going to be fun to watch! Let's hope the girl does not have a knife!" Mr. Michael said with a smirk. Oh my God I didn't even think what I would do if she had a knife! Well at least I have so many guys around to protect me. Except Robbie.
We went to the kitchen where we saw Vivian was of course working at the counter along with the many other staff of chefs with Miss Laurelie in the middle giving orders. She was ordering one of them to get something out the oven when she glanced over to us as we walked through the door. Her jaw dropped as she stared at us bewildered. She must have got an idea of what all of us were doing together and shook her head when she saw Michael winking at her.
"Oh s**t," she said as we walked by her. She saw where I was going and she pulled me back by my shirt and looked directly at me.
"Girl, are you crazy?" Miss Laurelie asked me.
"At this point maybe I am!" I said piercingly which in response made Miss Laurelie give me a "no you did not just raise your voice to me" look. I backed down immediately and swiftly I then said in a polite, soft voice. "Umm…Miss Laurelie if you could just give me a few minutes alone with her then that would be all I need. Just a few minutes! I think…I can get through to her. It's like you said…everyone has a weak side when they try to be strong. And I have seen…just a fraction of her side. But I think…I can see all of her if you will give me the chance."
Miss Laurelie stared at me for a moment before she observed Vivian. She sighed as she looked to our side at the others who were standing by. Mr. Michael came over to us and gave Miss Laurelie a seriosu look.
"Give her a chance Laury. It may not be our place to get involved in matters between the youth directly…but as adults it's our job to guide them. We have to give them the chance," Mr. Michael said, speaking calmly.
Miss Laurelie for once did not seem aggravated by Mr. Michael and listened to him. She then put her hands on her face and said to us, "I know I am going to regret this. Fine. You guys get five minutes and that's it! Ya'll hear me? Five minutes and nothing more!"
"Thanks Miss Laurelie!" I cried out to her. Miss Laurelie then gave an order for everyone to leave for five minutes then come back in to give us some alone time. The staff looked just as confused and conflicted as Miss Laurelie did. She told them to set the stoves to low so they don't get overcooked and give them just five minutes alone so they can speak. Vivian turned around and noticed what was going on and looked jumbled as she witnessed everyone begin to leave. Vivian stopped what she was doing and was about to walk out of the kitchen with the staff until Miss Laurelie told her to specifically come here. Vivian skeptically walked over to us and looked all of us strangely.
"Is there a reason why you guys had everyone leave?" Vivian asked Miss Laurelie.
Miss Laurelie gave me a look before focusing on Vivian once more. "Well Vivian I apologize for doing this all of a sudden. But…it seems like Vivian and the others would like to speak to you if I understand things correctly."
Vivian as Miss Laurelie spoke glared at me as she must have thought how annoying I was being now. She was definitely not pleased to be in this situation and I could not entirely blame her. I did just kind of rush in here and turned into an instant annoyance for everybody but I felt if I don't do this now then I may not have the courage to later. I took a step closer to Vivian and was about to speak before Vivian said something.
"Look, I already know what this about and I already gave you my answer! I told you and Robbie that I do not want anything to deal with friends! Now you got Marlow, Mr. Michael, and Miss Laurelie involved too? You guys just won't give up will you? I'm not staying here for this!" Vivian roared at us. She tried to walk away but Marlow stood in front of her.
"Get out of my way Marlow…" Vivian said, looking like she was ready to force Marlow out of her way. But I hoped Vivian would not do anything like that especially since Miss Laurelie has such strict rules about violence.
"I'm sorry Vivian. I don't want to be an obstacle like this but we're just concerned for you! It's not even just about us wanting to befriend you but we're concerned about you. This path you're going down…it has us worried. The way you treat people like they're all against you…frightens us!"
"I don't care what scares you. It does not scare me. You all are the ones that need to back off already and just do as I said. It's none of your business what 'path' I go down or whatever. Why can't you guys get that out of your heads?" Vivian said, angrily.
Robbie then spoke sensitively and said, "But Vivian. Can't you see? We can't just give up on you because we care about you! None of us want to see you hurt and we all understand what this will do to you. Being alone is the scariest thing in the world. It is when the world is cruelest, time goes by so slow, and you suffer as you feel everything come at you at once. You don't want that Vivian."
Vivian slowly turned around and saw the faces of everyone around her. She saw all of us look at her with saddened and caring expressions. She had to see everyone has felt the pain of being alone. The torment and the lament of living life alone. I did not even fully realize it until I saw the distant look in everyone's eyes as they saw everyone who was so close to them yet at that moment felt like we were miles away from the other. I would never forget that moment as well accepted in the other a dark similarity that somehow brought us together. Miss Laurelie, Mr. Michael, Marlow, Robbie, Vivian, and me. We all knew what it felt like somehow to be alone. We could all tell by looking into the other's eyes that looked far away from us. Vivian turned her hands into fists and I saw them tremble as she took two steps back from us all.
"So what…? You guys think people can't be alone? Is it so bad to just want that? To just want to be alone? Why can't I be by myself? Not everyone needs someone to intervene with their problems and go out of their way for them! Some people actually can be alone! So why can't I?"
"Because," Miss Laurelie began. "Life does not work that way child. If humans were meant to be alone then we should not have been born to depend on another. From the moment you step into this world you must rely on your parent or guardian or whoever to nurture and protect you since you can't do it yourself. We're so fragile…so weak….us humans but that's why we have each other. Humans, people, need other people to hold their hands…to hold them! If we were meant to be alone then God would not have allowed us the chance to live lives that require us to cross paths with other people. Look at this home of ours. Look around at all of the people in this shelter, even the ones right in front of you! All of us want you to open up to us and stop being this way!"
Vivian stared at Miss Laurelie with an agonizing look as I can see her anger grow in her. It was a sudden anger that I doubt even she knew how it grew in her. She perhaps did not even realize there was an anger locked away inside of her. Her rage I felt was not even directed at us entirely but at something else she was angry at. She hated it. She loathed the feeling she was revealing to us all. This was all too sudden, too unexpected, and nothing was going as she had planned for the day to go at all. She began to scream and shout at us all as loudly as she could at us.
"I don't care if you all want to help me! I don't care! I do not-need-any of you! You hear me? Forget all for you! I do not need any of you, God, or anyone else to try to tell me how I should live my life! I want this to be the last I ever hear about nonsense like friends or loneliness! If this truly is my life then let met choose how to live it! You are all not my family or my friends! So what right do you guys have in my life?" Vivian howled at us.
I took a step closer to her and said after a moment of silence, "We may not…have the right to make any choices for you. And I don't think we really can. I know I'm not trying to force you to do anything and no one here will Vivian. But…you're wrong when you said you don't need anyone. And we both know that is not true. Everybody needs somebody in their lives. Just because someone wants to be alone does not mean they can survive being alone. And…It's not us who you're mad at…it's whoever gave you those scars you bear…the ones that lie in here…" I said as I placed a hand over my heart. Vivian could not help but weep softly as tears dropped from her eyes. I then thought at last Vivian understood us and what we been trying to say to her. So I got close to her and placed my hand on Vivian's shoulder as I smiled at her expecting her to perhaps simply break down and cry. I was ready to offer her my shoulder and my heart to her until she threw my hand off her shoulder and punched me as hard as she could in my face. I was sent tumbling back to the ground as I crashed onto the kitchen floor. It was a shock to everyone who witnessed the event happen so fast. Vivian hit me. She hit me as hard as she could and the look of anger she had in her face when she did it became engraved in me. She took a chisel to my mind and in an instant made her mark in me.
I half believed what just happened to me as my face was still turned in the direction it was hit. No one said anything as I slowly looked in front of me to see Vivian standing above me with her hands still balled up into fists. She scowled at me sternly as I gradually touched the side of my face which was burning up with a similar pain to the one that my father granted me daily. Flashes of memories I have done my best to forget came back into my mind. Images that happened in segments as I remembered late nights of when my father would come in, drunk, and uncontrollably angry. I remember feeling weak and useless to not be able do anything as he made his way to me. Taking out all of his stress and anger from work as he spouted nonsense about his father to me. I remember…the pain that was carved in me all over my body. The nerves in my body sent signals all over so I could remember that pain clearly. I recalled how alone and powerless I felt against my father all those times he beat me. All those times I was hit and struck like I was not his daughter but his punching bag. I was so scared after he was done that I would be lying on the floor where he left me, crying as I tried to force myself to forget what had happened to me. I would be that way until morning where Mr. Niles would come in and realize what happened. I would be rushed for medical care by a personal doctor to the Sinclair family. After that I would return home, terrified and begging not to return but I had no choice to go back to it. It was my "home" after all.
Now I was the same as Vivian was at that moment. Angry, confused, and just plain mad at everything. I never had the chance to get this mad before with anyone and of course Vivian was the person to force these emotions out of me. I quickly got back up from the floor and threw a punch at Vivian and then tackled her to the ground. I felt like a mad animal that was just let loose. I barely remember what happened after that. I remember blows were exchanged between Vivian and I with seemingly no limit son us. If no one else was there how far would we go with our anger now in control? I remember Marlow pulling me off Vivian who in those moments reminded me of myself with my father. I had become my father. Vivian had become me, that small and defenseless girl. Except she fought back when I did not. She didn't care who it was that threatened her, she fought back. I admired and hated that about her because she was brave enough to do what I could never do…! Fight. But in the end she made me finally do what I dreamt of doing. I stood up for myself for once and made sure to make Vivian see that. I was tired of her acting that way and thinking no one would do anything. But I really hoped it did not have to be this way. I wish there was a better way to solve things but words did not make the cut. Only our fists could.
Marlow had pulled me off of Vivian while I was still kicking and screaming at her. My only thoughts were about breaking free so I could make her feel as much pain as possible. I'm sure Vivian was lost in her own violent thoughts about me as Mr. Michael and Robbie held her back. I heard Miss Laurelie shout at the both of us and ordering us to stop. Once they managed to get us away from the other Miss Laurelie's voice sounded through the kitchen and we calmed down enough to listen to her. Marlow held me tight and restrained my arms and made sure I could not move. He was much stronger than I was so I already knew I could not escape from him. Neither could Vivian who could not break away from Mr. Michael. Robbie stood in between us both ready to apparently intercept us if something happened.
"That is enough you two! That is enough! I will not have any fighting in my shelter! What the Hell has gotten into the both of you? You both have lost your God damn minds picking a fight in my shelter! You both know the rules! You fight! You're out! You both can go pack your things and be prepared to move out! You're both going to be kicked out!" Miss Laurelie shouted. Everyone stopped to listen to her as Miss Laurelie said that. I could not believe how easily I lost myself in that moment to forget one Miss Laurelie's golden rules. Marlow was shocked and slowly let go of me when he saw that I stopped resisting. Mr. Michael then let Vivian go as well as she shrugged him off. I looked up and stared at Vivian who wiped away some blood from her lip, where I first punched her. I could not even feel pride in the fact I was able to make her draw blood from my punches as looked back at me. I then saw Vivian look back at Miss Laurelie along with myself to see if she was serious. We all knew she was very serious and there was nothing we could say to change that.
"But…Miss Laurelie! It was just one fight! You can't be serious about kicking them both out for this! You got to give them another chance," Marlow begged of Miss Laurelie but she would not stand for it.
"No Marlow Gonzales! You know as well as I do there are many things I hate but only a few things I simply cannot tolerate above all else! And one of those things is violence! I don't care if Vivian started it, if Veronica ended it, or if it's all settled. There will be no fighting my shelter! You guys will have a few days' notice and when I mean you two are out. You are out! That is final!" Miss Laurelie said intensely as she pointed at us both. I did not even say anything nor did Vivian as she gave one last look at me then stared at Robbie. She saw the look of horror and sadness on her face as Robbie saw such a frightening side to Vivian. I felt bad for Robbie especially when I realized that since Vivian and I will both be kicked out he will be more lone than before. I was not even worried about myself yet since not all the consequences had found their way into my mind. Vivian finally let go of her anger and her weapons as her hands lied flat against her body. She stared at Robbie mysteriously for a moment as he stared back at her. I don't know why she did that abruptly but after that she stormed out the kitchen doors without looking back or saying anything perhaps to her room.
"Wait! Vivian!" Robbie called out to her as she left but to no luck she did not reply. Robbie had reached out for her with his hand but he could not grab Vivian and bring her back. Robbie glanced back at me and I saw how hurt he was. I felt just as hurt to know his efforts were wasted because of me. I turned around and looked at Marlow who I thought would look disappointed in me but instead looked like he felt bad for me. I then turned to see Miss Laurelie who tried to look strong even though I knew she was not happy with her decision. I was not going to ask for a second chance because I knew she could not go back on her word. If she did then maybe others may think it is okay to get away with the rules here. So while staying silent I too made my way to the doors to go be elsewhere, anywhere but here at the moment.
But Mr. Michael was not going to let it end there and called Robbie over to him. I did not stick around to hear what he said to Robbie though. I left the kitchen and spent the rest of my day in the courtyard to try to stay away from Vivian. I sat there under the big tree and waited for it to get late enough that I would have to go back to the room I stayed in with Vivian. I was scared to go back in the room but faced it bravely. It's not like we had a reason to fight anymore since we were both kicked out of the shelter. However, when I went in the room I saw Vivian was not there in the room. She must be out elsewhere to avoid coming in contact with me. I looked around the room and noticed Vivian's things were thrown about the room. She must have done so in a frenzy of her own rage. What have I done I asked myself?
I threw away the once chance I had to live safely in a shelter. I could not just let it go could I? I could have just let Vivian be and everything would have been…no things would not have been all right. This was inevitable to happen between her and I. Everything between us was simply build up for that one moment to occur as if it was it inscribed into destiny itself. But now what? What can I do? Soon I will be back on those streets with nowhere to go or maybe Marlow could help me out. Yeah Marlow would for sure do something to help me. But what about Vivian? What help was there for her now that she out right denied everyone? She would never allow Marlow or anyone else to help her so what….could happen to her once she's alone out there? I thought back to the scars on her back which reminded me of the bruises my father has given me. My face always did look a bit fuller than normal due to constant abuse it has received. But the stinging sensation in my face was different than the feeling my father has left in it. With Vivian it sort of…felt good. It felt right. Why did it feel good to be hit by Vivian of all people?
I sat down on the bed and looked around the room. I thought how much I truly did appreciate the chance I got to be here in this shelter. I would never forget all the memories I made here and the people I got the chance to meet. In such a short time I would like to think I grew into my own person. I mean I'm not even crying about all of this but, I am very sad inside about all of this and I am afraid if I think about it too much then I will start to cry. I knew when I actually…had to leave then…I would surely…
I began to cry as the thought of no longer being here in such a wonderful place began to weigh down on me. The rain was coming down and there was nothing in place to stop it. My heart was once again exposed to the tremendous force of the elements that took hold of me.
"I…love this place. Why do bad things keep happening to me? What did I do to deserve all of this? Why was I even born in the first place if I was doomed to live such a…pitiful life? Is this some sort of a test? Is this supposed to happen…? Will I ever be happy? What…do I do now if I have to be trapped again?" I cried out to the silence of the room. I don't know how long I cried for but I do know that I eventually just fell asleep in the bed and passed out with my eyes swollen from crying so much.
I woke up late in the night with the room covered in darkness. I had thought for a moment that everything that had happened was just a bad dream. But when I felt my eyes and felt the tiny throbbing pain and dried up tears I doubted it was all just a dream. I had got out of the bed and saw that Vivian was still not in the room. I decided I would go out to the courtyard to enjoy the night air. I took slow, quiet steps out of the room and through the hallways. I did not want to disturb anyone anymore and took measures to prevent anyone from being bothered in the slightest way. I then went down the hallway on the right side and approached a series of glassless windows that looked out into the courtyard. I rested my arms in the open space of the wall and looked out at the grandeur of the night sky.
I was mesmerized by the stars that took their place up there in the darkness of space. They were tiny little bright lights that shine so lustrously. I wonder why stars shine the way they do. Maybe it's because the stars were born exactly where they belong and can luster in happiness because they found a place they can feel accepted. But, if stars were anything like people then surely they would dream about being able to go to other parts of the infinite world they exist in. Some stars don't have any other stars around them so perhaps stars shine so bright in hopes another start will know they exist out there in their own separate spaces. I sometimes think people may be exactly like stars in the sky. We are all just small lights in the vastness of the world we exist in. Each of us carry with us a special light unique to us, but similar to all the other lights. We may be born in different parts of the universe, have seen different spectacles, felt unalike experiences, and for that we glimmer differently than anyone else. But it does not change the fact that we all are able to shine despite the darkness that surrounds us. Because there will always be other lights in the world that we can see, that we may use to give us hope and guide us! People are just like that…stars in the sky searching for other stars we can share our lives with. I would like to think that maybe this shelter was created under a star that lead everyone here. We were all destined to be here in order to find each other. For what reason I think only the unknown could ever truly know but if I had to take a guess. It was to give us all the one thing we desired the most out of life. A home.
It was then that I heard Robbie come up from behind me. He was holding a book in his hands that had to deal with Advanced Algebra. I assumed he was reading somewhere close by until he spotted me. He greeted me as he saw me standing in the moon's shimmering light. He walked over to me and greeted me as he too began to look out into the night.
"Couldn't get much sleep Veronica?" Robbie asked me. I brushed some strands of brown hair from my eyes and smiled as cheerfully as I could.
"No, there's no way I could sleep. Not…with such a beautiful night like this," I said, dashing my hand out as if I wanted to touch the sky itself with my hands. I wanted to reach out to one of those stars and grab it so badly in that moment. I don't even know what I would do with a star if I could hold it in my hand. Maybe keep it like a treasure? Or possibly just cast it back into the heavens once more?
Robbie observed me closely as he said, "Yeah, the sky here I always found to be the most beautiful than anywhere else. It seems like all the stars here gather in clusters in this single space at night. There's just so many stars in the sky here that it's a wonder how they all find their way here. And why? What's so special about this spot?"
I viewed Robbie looking lost in his thoughts for a moment. I then looked back up at the night and said, "Well maybe it doesn't really matter where they go. It could be anywhere in the world. I don't think it matters to the stars. I think they only wish to be together and as long as they are together. Where they are will never matter."
Robbie laughed when he heard me say something as abstract as that. I laughed too when I realized that I had turned into a random poet all of a sudden. When did I become able to create such lustrous and philosophical thoughts?
"Wow Veronica, I never realized you had it in you to be so romantic. You know stars don't actually move or anything. Plus by the time we see stars they have already long since passed their time in the galaxy," Robbie said to me.
"Oh yeah," I said pouting. "Thanks for that dream crusher. I already know all of that. It's just…nice to think that stars really do all of that. You know, go looking for the other? It actually seems like being a star can be kind of lonely. Just staying in a single spot and burning up aimlessly. A lone star all on its own without anyone else…"
"Yeah…a star that will eventually just burn itself up…being all alone…" Robbie and I both realized our thoughts trailed off in a different direction. We must have both began thinking that soon we may very well become that lone star. But right now Vivian is that star all by herself that will burn out and when that happens. Her light will disappear.
A moment later I noticed someone walking into the courtyard from the entrance on the other side of the yard. Robbie noticed the person too but it was too dark to see who it was until they got closer. The person walked to the big tree in the center and took a seat against the tree. The person then pulled out a flash light and we could then see it was blonde girl reading a book. It was Vivian who had come out in the night to read alone. She looked as she normally did when she read alone, calm and collected. She looked like something misfortunate didn't happen to her at all. I gazed upon Vivian as despite everything she tried to hold onto her pride and be courageous enough to still be alone. I used to be alone in my room all the time until I came here. Now I have to think twice about being alone now that I have been spoiled by the graces of friendship and community. But, looking at her I felt she was different now. As if something was missing from her now that she had before. Something that was once obstructed one's view of Vivian was gone and now I could see a different part to her entirely. It was then that I decided if these will be final moments at the shelter then I might as well finish what I started with Robbie.
"Robbie, do you still want to befriend Vivian? You haven't given up have you?" I asked him, without even looking at him until I knew he would look back at me.
He looked at me directly in my eyes and said, "I could never give up on Vivian. Though…I thought you would have after the fight between you two."
"I thought that originally I may have given up. But…when I look at her now…I see no reason to give up. This now means so much more than just being a friend to her or helping her come out of that shelter she has built around her. This is now about proving something. I want to…prove that people can change. That no one is destined to be alone in this world no matter what anyone may think! I have to do this! For Vivian! For you! For myself! I just got to do this!" I proclaimed as I once again felt determined to go through with this. Robbie felt my determination and also felt just as resolute about this.
"Because being alone is a fate no one wants. Even if Vivian may act like it she must want to break free somewhere deep inside. The heart wants what the heart wants. And no heart wishes to be cooped up forever," Robbie said.
"Well said partner! Now go over there and talk to her!" I told Robbie. Robbie stopped and stared at me blankly as I kept my determined look on my face.
"What…? Me…? But why should I…? I mean…I don't think that's a good idea…and…" Robbie fumbled over his words as I continued to look at him. "You're…serious aren't you?"
"Of course! I don't mean to brag about this but she did punch me while you're still surprisingly unharmed Robbie. I think if I go over there now things could get worse between us. Also I think you should go over there because you seem like someone who could get through to her now of all times," I said as I looked back at her.
"And why do you think that?" Robbie asked me.
"Well, I'm not entirely sure myself. But right now…Vivian does not seem a strong as she usually is. She seems kind of weak…while right you feel kind of strong and reliable Robbie. Don't ask me to try to explain my thoughts because I don't have any idea what I'm saying. I just feel this is right you know?" I said to Robbie. Robbie looked uncomfortable with this idea and for once I noticed it was not out of fear. He looked embarrassed about going over there and talking to Vivian personally.
"Robbie…why do you appear so…flustered about going over there to Vivian?" I asked him, getting closer to him as I put my inspector cap on.
"W-well…it's just…she's…always treated me badly. So I'm kind of reluctant about going over there. I kind of like my body just the way it is!" Robbie said, trying to joke around but I was not having it.
"That's not it! There's something else going on with you…! You weren't always like this….ah! Mr. Michael! What did he tell you earlier Robbie?" I asked him, as I attempted to stare into his soul.
"Nothing! He didn't tell me much!" Robbie told me a she backed away from me but I took a step closer.
"Then just tell me!" I persisted in asking. Robbie looked back between me and Vivian and I knew something was up. I continued to stare at him intensely until he realized he could not get rid of me or my speculations so easily. He sighed as he finally gave in.
"Fine…he told me…that…well this will sound crazy but he thinks Vivian…may have a crush on me," Robbie said. My mind did not even register those words being together in a single sentence. I did not think you could ever use such words in that way! Vivian might bear affection for Robbie? Vivian? Of all people? May like Robbie? I stared at Robbie with a disorderly look and he got the message that I was very confused.
"Yeah, I know. I could hardly believe Mr. Michael either. But…he is kind of good with women…besides Miss Laurelie. He also says that might explain why she lashes out against me the most. Because she has no other way to express her feelings to me. Miss Laurelie told Mr. Michael to stop interfering with us which made me think he could have just been plotting something. Marlow left without saying anything so I could not ask him about it either. I actually wanted to come talk to you about that…and ask for advice…" Robbie said to me. Now I was really confused. Who in the world would come to me for romantic advice?
"M-me? I barely got my own foot in the front door of love! I don't know anything! S-so what? Because I'm a girl and she's a girl we think alike on love and stuff?" I said, hysterically.
"Maybe…?" Robbie said timidly.
"Oh gosh! Well…umm…I guess she might…I don't know Robbie! I mean I have nothing to go on...I don't even know me and Marlow's relationship and…oh," I said as I quickly covered my mouth. Robbie tilted his head as his mouth gawked open at me.
"Oh no…wait…"
"You…and Marlow…oh I knew it! You two are so cute together! Look at you Veronica!" Robbie said smiling at me.
"Gah! Nothing is going on between us! We're just friends…! Okay?" I said, trying to hide my blushing face.
"Buuuut, you do like him don't you? It's obvious to everyone you do Veronica," Robbie said rolling his eyes at me.
"What! It is? Obvious to who?" I said, frantically.
"Umm…Mr. Michael….Miss Laurelie…me…maybe even Vivian. Basically everyone but Marlow himself who is kind of dense. I mean it's all over your face when you see him. You practically light up with a huge smile on your face every time you see him. I think you smile like that just from thinking about him!" Robbie said with a wink.
"I do not! And not everyone must think that!" I said trying to stop myself from smiling as I thought about this. Wait…why did this become about me?
"Look! Forget about me! You have no right to tease me about my love life when you can't even go talk to Vivian!" I told Robbie who I thought would fight back but instead gave in easily.
"Yeah…you're right…" Robbie sadly admitted. We both realized we been going off for a while now and wondered if Vivian disappeared.
Thankfully, she was still sitting there by herself. I then looked at Robbie and insisted that he goes over there right now. He asked me what he was supposed to do since he had no idea what to talk about. I thought about it and when I saw the book in his hands I told him to just go over there and sit down next to her and read his book. Robbie thought I was going mad but I told him this plan was going to work. All he had to go was go over there and sit with her. I would go around and get behind a tree so I could listen in to the conversation watch in case would need to jump in if I have to. Robbie really did not want to do this but I told him he had nothing to lose…besides his life. I believed in Robbie and I told him that. Robbie sighed and agreed at last to do it. He slowly walked away from me and hoped over the window frame and into the courtyard. I then moved quickly, but still quietly through the hallways to get to the entrance from the other side in which Vivian came through. I noticed Robbie eventually make his way towards Vivian as I tried to sneak up behind the both of them. I wondered if they could hear my footsteps on the grass but hoped they could not. I got to the tree at nearly the same time Robbie did and stood against a tree some distance away where I would not be spotted as I listened in to their conversation.
I saw Robbie had walked closer to Vivian who slowly looked up from her book and stared at him. She didn't look so mad but was perhaps questioning why Robbie was here.
Robbie shyly asked, "Umm…do you mind if I sit here? I want to read my own book here as well."
Of course Vivian gave him an expected response, "Yes…I do mind if you sit here. I kind of wanted to be alone and enjoy my final moments here. But…I guess you just couldn't let me have even that now could you…Robbie?"
Robbie looked dejected when she said that to him even if Robbie asked so gently. It felt like there was nothing he could do to please her. I thought that maybe I should just go in and help but at that moment Robbie asked her an unexpected question.
"Do you…hate me Vivian?" Robbie asked her. Vivian was caught off guard by his question and looked up at Robbie to see if he was serious and he was. I was surprised like Vivian was that Robbie asked her that. I expected Vivian to impulsively tell him yes but she didn't.
"…Why does it matter to you if I do or don't?" Vivian asked as she closed her book and set it in her lap. She stared at Robbie with a narrow look that went nowhere else except to look at Robbie.
Robbie replied, "Because I want to be your friend Vivian. I want to be close to you and understand you. I want…to be someone you can rely on."
Vivian for once looked away then back to Robbie with the same look as before. She then asked, "Why do you guys keep on trying? Why do you keep on trying to be my friend? Why does it matter so much to you Robbie? Why am I worth all this trouble? Why am I…so important to you?"
Robbie considered Vivian as he thought about this for himself. Did even Robbie have an honest answer of why he was doing all of this? I know he understands the consequences of loneliness but is that his sole reason? He cares for Vivian more than anyone else and I always wondered why? What was so special about Vivian to him? It was then that I saw that maybe Mr. Michael did not truly think Vivian liked Robbie. But maybe…it was the other way around.
"Vivian, I don't want you…to be alone or sad. I don't like to see you look depressed for any reason. I feel…miserable when I see that you are suffering. I only want to see Vivian's smile like the one she has when she is cooking food for everyone to enjoy. That's the girl everyone likes to see because that's the girl that truly looks happy." When Robbie said that Vivian's eyes grew wide as she stared at Robbie who said those kind words so confidently. He said then with his hand over his heart and said them without hesitation. He then without asking again took a seat right next to Vivian against the tree. He patted his book in his hand and set aside as he looked to Vivian. Vivian I noticed no longer bothered with her book and dropped her defensive manners. She just looked at Robbie and listened to him as he spoke to her.
"I understand what it must be like for you. You have to put up a wall to protect yourself…because everyone is afraid to be hurt. And you're terrified to be hurt any more than you already have…right Vivian? I won't ask who hurt you. You can tell me anytime you wish to or you don't even have to say it at all. But I want you…to trust me Vivian! To trust all of us who want nothing more than to see you smile. And to prove I mean you no harm…I will entrust you with my own pain. I will tell you what hurts me the most and you're free to even use this against me to hurt me as much as you want. But I know you won't do that….because I trust you Vivian. I trust there is a girl in there who cares about people and doesn't wish to hurt them. Because when you hit Veronica today…I know you went to the room and beat yourself up inside that you actually hurt someone. I know…because…I have been there Vivian," Robbie said as he slowly placed his hand between him and Vivian. Vivian stared at his hand and then back at Robbie speechless.
"So here it is. It's no…big secret that I'm not exactly the manliest of guys. I know a lot about women's fashion, I like girly things, and I guess I am quite feminine. And…I cannot help that. I mean…I guess what I'm trying to say is…I have struggled with my sexuality quite a bit. You already noticed that about me…and yeah I'll admit. I seem to look at boys as equally as I look at girls. And because of that…there was no place for me to fit in with others. I was labeled the 'Gay Kid' almost immediately even though I myself did not even think I was. I was bullied everyday by kids who just seemed to enjoy my pain and misery. People judged me before they even got to know me and none of them actually tried to. I would come into class with slurs written into my desk or things like 'Burn in Hell' being shouted to me by others in my school. I ended up hating myself for being born this way or maybe it was my own choice…or maybe it wasn't. I don't think it was my choice but…did it even matter? I was judged, bullied, and ended up being alone because of it. I was told it was a sin to be the way I was…even by own mother. I was so lonely….so alone with nobody there to help me or save me. So I understand the painful looks you make Vivian. You know when I look up at these stars I think how crazy it is that we actually make wishes on them. I never made a wish on a star before…but if I could have one wish for my entire life you know what it would be? I would wish that you of all people would not have to be alone. Because the pain I see in you…is far greater than anything I have ever seen. And for that…though it may not mean anything…I'm sorry Vivian. I'm so sorry."
Vivian was left astonished and wordless by Robbie's speech. I thought I would see Robbie try to grab Vivian's hand but instead he pulled away from her. He said all he had to say and stood up after grabbing his book. He even waved goodbye to her and began walking away from Vivian in my direction. I was just as shocked that Robbie had told Vivian all of that. I think he even forgot that I was here in the courtyard with the two of them. So Robbie had revealed just why he cared so much about Vivian. He recognized the pain in Vivian and compared it to its own. Loneliness to Robbie was a dagger that has been sliced into him a thousand times, carefully missing his vitals until the dagger was finally plunged into his heart the moment he became homeless. Now I watch to see how Vivian will react to all of this. Has she finally allowed herself to open up her doors even a little bit?
Robbie took a few more steps looking okay about the current outcome of things until Vivian called out to Robbie by name which I noticed she started using before.
"Hey! Robbie!" she called out to him. Robbie looked startled by Vivian's sudden cry and turned around to look at Vivian. I saw she looked more modest and honest with herself than she has ever looked to me before.
"Yeah…Vivian?" Robbie said back to her.
She took a deep breath before saying, "Thanks…for telling me your story. I won't…do anything to hurt you because of that. I promise…so do you think…that maybe you can come back to read with me sometime? While I'm still allowed to be here?"
A miracle had occurred as the unthinkable just happened. Vivian opened up to Robbie and even asked for him to come back and spend time with her. It must have been hard for Robbie to try to play it off as nothing but he looked very happy to hear Vivian say that to him.
"Of course! I will gladly come back! I mean…yeah sure…it sounds fun," Robbie said with a wave as he almost tripped as he walked backwards. An even bigger surprise was to see Vivian actually giggled at Robbie when he almost fell over. Robbie began to laugh as well before he said to Vivian, "I'll see you tomorrow then Vivian…umm…sweet dreams!"
Vivian smiled back at him and said, "Sweet dreams…to you as well Robbie. And thanks for everything…"
Then with that Robbie walked out of the courtyard and left Vivian to read in peace under the night sky. After he left I decided to join him as I exited the courtyard without hopefully being noticed. That night we made a difference and proved what I set out to prove. Today was a success even if Vivian and I was to be evicted from the shelter soon or at least that's what I thought. Mr. Michael had convinced Miss Laurelie to actually give us a second chance but we were not allowed to mention it to anyone. It was a secret between those that were there. I was so happy to hear I was given another chance to enjoy life here at the shelter. Mr. Michael even said Miss Laurelie was perhaps just trying to scare us into fixing our problems and never would have the heart to kick us out since we all have grown on her. I thought it was funny how the both of them tried to help us out in their own way, Mr. Michael and Miss Laurelie that is.
But from that day forward Vivian opened up her heart once again to us all. She acted friendlier to us all and was not so mean to others. I actually got more space in the room to actually live in. We shared the room evenly and actually became closer friends. Marlow came by more regularly and soon it was me and Vivian along with Robbie and Marlow spending time together more and more. Miss Laurelie and Mr. Michael also slowly became our new parents it seems. We slowly became what I could only assume was… a family. Every single one of us began to change in ways we would never expect and things became more fun and homely in the shelter. Who would have thought that all of this happened because a once rich girl became homeless and found something even better than a house…friends.
ACT ONE END


© 2014 RamenNoodlesX


Author's Note

RamenNoodlesX
What do you think of the first arc?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

86 Views
Added on July 21, 2014
Last Updated on July 21, 2014


Author

RamenNoodlesX
RamenNoodlesX

About
Hi! The name is RamenNoodles, and I'm a young male writer hoping to make a living out of my stories. My dream is to create stories for video games above all! I always enjoyed playing games and the sto.. more..

Writing