Soaring At Last

Soaring At Last

A Chapter by RamenNoodlesX

The first month of January has reached its end as the day on the calendar marks January 31st. It has officially been thirty one days including today since the day I have become homeless. One long and eventful month has gone by as fast as it came. Looking back, I am surprised I was able to make it this far by myself in this world. But to say I made it this far by myself wouldn't be exactly right to say either. I have my new friends by my side to take care of me. I have Miss Laurelie, Mr. Michael, Robbie, Marlow, and…Vivian actually.
Miss Laurelie has given us another chance to stay at the shelter after me and Vivian literally went to her and bowed to her, asking for forgiveness. Mr. Michael spoke to her as our representative of sorts with Robbie and Marlow watching quietly. He spoke on our behalf well enough to get Miss Laurelie to listen and even convince her to give us another chance. She found it within herself to allow us to stay but Vivian and I had to get long from now on. We were overjoyed of course and I had no doubt in my mind Vivian and I could do that.
Ever since the day I and Vivian got into a fight she has finally been warming up to people. The room that was completely dictated by her is now split evenly between us. She gets the left side and I get the right side. I was finally able to put my clothes and essentials in drawers and tuck them away in better places besides keeping them in their bags in the corner. Vivian became someone I actually didn't mind living with since she is becoming the very first girl I could call my friend. I don't really count Miss Laurelie since there is an age gap even though technically Miss Laurelie is the first female I befriended.
Nonetheless, Vivian and I began talking together when we were alone in the room. We never had deep or fleshed out conversations but more like idle chat if anything. We would discuss small things that happen around the shelter and town along with talking about whatever we were doing at the moment. For example, Vivian would come by and ask what I was drawing when I was working at her desk which she allowed me to use gracefully. I would also come by and ask what she was reading which almost always was about cook books and recipes. She really loves cooking I learned and she even revealed to me that she wished to become a chef. I was envious she had a dream she wanted to pursue and it was already something she was good at. I wasn't sure if I would end up being an artist but it was a good idea I had.
Vivian enjoyed cooking ever since Miss Laurelie first put a knife in her hands and vegetables in front of her to cut up. Miss Laurelie told Vivian when she came here if she wanted to eat here then she has to learn to cook for herself. Ever since then Vivian fell in love with cooking and did everything she could to learn bout different culinary techniques and dishes from around the world. She is especially fascinated with French cuisine and admires famous French chefs like Thomas Keller and Alain Ducasse. She admires their contributions to the culinary world and wishes to one day contribute something of her own and leave her mark on the world. It was amazing to actually see Vivian open up so quickly on her dreams and talk about them so happily. It was like Robbie said, the girl Vivian becomes when she talks about her dreams is the one people will surely begin to love. She is always smiling when she goes off and talks about how badly she wants to not just cook, but invent, to create something that people will fall in love with. She one time went on talking for about two hours before she realized I had not even said anything back. But Vivian wasn't one to normally become embarrassed over such things and only slightly turned shy as she apologized. But I was just happy that for the first time she spoke to me for more than a minute without an insult or being hostile.
I enjoyed my time with Vivian and I hoped we could become close enough to talk about other things in our lives. Vivian was the only girl I could relate to that was around my age and I kind of yearned to talk about things only two girls could talk about. I used to dream of having best friends but I think I wanted a female best friend more than anything. I don't know why but I think we can just simply relate more than say me and Robbie could on most things. Which reminded me that Robbie was also beginning to show improvements to himself, or at least what he wanted to say was him trying to improve himself. And I would bet anything it was because of Vivian.
Every day at either noon or night Robbie and Vivian sit together at the tree in the courtyard and read a book separately. They don't really say much to each other besides the normal greeting and idle chat before going into their books. But they never looked so peaceful and happy until they are close to the other and reading side by side. I one time caught them at that tree reading as usual and noticed Vivian dozing off from a long day of work and her head slowly descending onto Robbie's shoulder. Robbie was shocked when he felt her head lie on his shoulder but the look in his eyes when he saw Vivian there seemed like something magical. His eyes stared down at the peacefully sleeping Vivian with her eyes closed, blonde strands of hair that were reminiscent of strings on a harp that his fingers would gently strum. His eyes would stare deeply at her as if he is looking at the most beautiful girl in the world. I naturally reached for my sketch pad and made a rough drawing of the sight before me so I wouldn't even forget such a serene sight.
The magic ended when Vivian's eyes opened and saw Robbie's sapphire eyes staring into her own azure treasures. They stared into the other for only a single mystifying moment before Vivian punched Robbie in the arm to get Robbie off of her. She didn't look quite happy to wake up and see Robbie's face as the first thing she saw. She angrily went back to her book as Robbie rubbed his surely now bruised arm with before a small smirk appeared on his face. Their relationship was definitely going to be rough-for Robbie at least, but it's kind of sweet to see these two together. I think it must be really strange to say I ship these two? I haven't asked the either straight up about their feelings about the other because I rather let them work it out themselves. I know people back from my school would always try to put people who they thought were cute or would fit well with the other together in a relationship. But they might make things worse in trying to rush things between people. Even as friends or potential lovers I think that personally it is better to let people work it out themselves because friendship and love works at its own pace sometimes. It's like a flower I think, a flower that needs to be attended to and care for each day in order for it grow from a seed to what it is destined to be.
However, it seems my philosophy is not shared with Robbie who came to me today as I was getting changed in my room. He had knocked on the door and asked to come in as I was dressing myself in some casual and relaxing clothes. After I was fully dressed I went to the door to let him in and Robbie greeted me and let himself in.
"Hey Robbie, how are you?" I asked him, closing the door behind him as he took a seat on the bed. He looked back at me and told me he was doing just fine. He then said that he wanted to talk to me about something. My instantly thought this may be about Vivian and wondered if he was going to ask me for advice. "What about?"
"Well, I haven't got the chance to thank you properly for helping me finally befriend Vivian. We're getting along great….err….well we're getting along better….umm….we're doing more adequate than before," Robbie said nodding his head.
"Oh Robbie, you don't need to thank me. It was as much for me as it was for everyone. Also, I did not do much. I only came up with a lucky idea in the end and I don't really think that was the sole reason for Vivian's change. I honestly think it was the fight that caused it all. Who would have thought violence solved all our problems?" I joked with Robbie laughing. But Robbie wasn't going to give up on thanking me.
"Well, I still want to thank you somehow. And for that I'm going to help you out with a certain someone," Robbie said, speaking in riddles as I was confused on who he meant. He then got up from the bed and walked over to me as I asked who he was talking about. "Marlow of course! Come on Veronica, it's been a whole month and you still haven't made a move on him!"
I was ruffled by Robbie's words as I quickly folded my arms and tried not to reveal any of my hidden emotions on my face. "What are you talking about Robbie? I told you countless times before…we're just friends!"
"Oh? And do friends usually do things like ahem… 'I stare at him with loving eyes that shine like stars in the night! My gaze captures him in a full picture of reality that is so real yet still makes me question if this is a dream?' Robbie said, as I realized he was quoting a random poem I wrote in my sketchbook!
"Oh my God! Robbie you looked in my sketchbook?" I said, as I raised my tone of voice at him.
"I might have taken a peek when you left in my room once before! But who's to say I did or didn't? A poem in a sketchbook is misplaced anyway isn't it? Oh like how 'misplaced these feelings of love I believe I may have as my dreams only consist of him and I…"
"I get it! Just stop! Good Heavens Robbie, you are evil. B-but the poem might be about Marlow or it might not! It was just something random I decided to write anyway! Now stay out of my personal stuff!" I roared to him as Robbie just laughed at me. Robbie said it would not happen again and he only intended to look at my drawings which he mentioned were very good.
"I do love your drawings though. Especially the houses you make which are quite detailed. You always liked art?" Robbie asked me as I walked to my desk where I had a few drawing set on the top of it that were incomplete creations of more houses
When Robbie asked me that it had dawned on me that I don't recall any specific event that triggered my love for art. All I remember is that I grew up admiring art for some reason. Maybe it was because I was trying to find something to express myself with or find something to pass the time as a hobby before it came something of a passion of mine.
"Umm…I'm not sure what made me like art actually. It just stuck on me somehow," I said to Robbie. "I only recently got back into it when Marlow asked me to draw something for him…"
When I said that I hit myself on the head for blurting out something about Marlow to Robbie. I slowly turned around and saw a very keen look on Robbie's face.
"Oh is that the reason? So it's all for Marlow," Robbie said, as he began his teasing again. Oh please tell me he wasn't just waiting for me to spill something? Robbie couldn't be that manipulative could he? I wasn't going to let him continue to mock me and I quickly called him out on Vivian.
"Maybe, how you helping out more in the kitchen is to impress Vivian? Or how you conveniently help her carry dishes and bags around whenever she needs it. Which by the way is very convenient that you just happen to know her routines so you can be there when she may need it!" I said, getting the upper hand over Robbie who shut up. Feeling good about winning Robbie realized I am not so easily trifled with.
"Hmph!" I let out as I organized my drawings back into my sketchbook. This was the big one I used for larger projects and had the "Marlow" poem within it. I had no other paper so I simply used my sketchbook for it. Robbie came over to me and looked at the sketchbook with me. It was a simply green sketch book that was quite old but was still kind of decent to use. It was opened up to its aged s that thankfully would not turn yellow and on the page was where I was drawing the flower vase that was set on the drawer beside the desk. I was trying to draw still life. I don't remember where I got this but I believe it was given to me by someone but I couldn't remember who. It was in this sketchbook I planned to create Marlow's gift.
Robbie then leaned over my shoulder and said, "Well look. I just wanted to give you some advice just like you gave me some advice. And I think I know how a guy and a girl's mind works quite well. So let me just say this, I think it would be a good idea if you were to ask Marlow out on a date."
I turned around quickly to face Robbie and glanced over to him. I saw the confident look in his face and in a moment I was reverted to a timid girl from just thinking about d-dating Marlow! I got up from my seat immediately and slowly paced around the room.
"O-oh… R-Robbie how could you even suggest…or even say such a thing? Me and M-Marlow's relationship is strictly….friends! Just…f-friends of course! Nothing more…nothing less!" I sputtered, as I stood in front of the desk and twiddles my fingers around one another nervously. I knew I was not putting on a good performance to deceive Robbie one bit. And I began to see Robbie's cunningness shine in moments like these.
He spoke in a taunting and teasing tone of voice, "But Veronica, I think Marlow might like you…"
"Really?" I reacted back instinctively as I accidentally swatted Vivian's vase against the wall beside me with the excited movement of my arm. The vase shattered against the wall into scattered pieces on the floor. My body tensed up from the sound of the crash as I slowly eyed the broken vase on the floor. "Well, there goes my friendship with Vivian…"
I quickly went to the closet to grab a spare broom and dustpan and swept the glass pieces into the dustpan. I was sweeping anxiously as I swept the broom back and forth rapidly. My mind was so focused on what Robbie had said that I barely noticed the growing grin on Robbie's face that looked so mischievous.
"Veronica. I think you should go ahead and ask him. I say this because Marlow is kind of dense. He won't know you like him unless you tell him to his face!" Robbie said.
"B-but…I don't know for sure if I like him Robbie! I've never had…a crush on anyone before…Heavens! I don't even know if this is a crush…entirely…what is liking someone supposed to feel like? What am I supposed to be thinking? My parents never allowed any man to get too close to me…not like they even did at school. But…bachelor candidates would continue to come to visit…" I said to Robbie. He was confused by what I meant by that.
"Bachelor candidates? What do you mean? Guys would come to your front door to see if they were worthy to marry you? Your family still living in like 1789? I have never heard of people still practicing arranged marriage, your parents were really old fashioned…or considered themselves really high class," Robbie joked. I tried to laugh too and avoid looking at him directly and not make myself look too suspicious as to not let off or hint at my previous wealthy life style.
I replied to Robbie nervously, "W-well….my parents kind of are old fashioned. But you see, candidates would come to visit once in a while and most of them didn't even look within my age range for me to even date them. I mean early twenties…or I at least I hope. But my parents never thought any of them were any good even if they looked really nice and were around my age they would all be turned away. Honestly, I would have liked it to just speak to one of them that appeared good so I could at least talk to someone else."
"You didn't even get to speak to them directly?" Robbie asked.
"No…my parents wouldn't allow it. But…I don't know if that was for the best or not. Regardless, my experiences with love are slim if not…none! I know as much about love as you do!" I said to Robbie.
"Oh thanks!" Robbie said sarcastically as he approached me. "Look, Veronica. Trust me on this. Despite your really odd family life which actually explains a few things…"
"Hey…!" I responded back with quickly.
Robbie continued, "I believe what you're feeling now for Marlow is the beginning of something new. Every time you see him you can't help but smile Veronica. You even wrote a poem for him and you want to draw something for him. And when I looked through that sketchbook…all I saw was your art improving and improving carefully…for him. He's the first person to be so kind to you right? He was the first to be your friend. I think you know what you're feeling Veronica. You're just too afraid to do anything about it."
I was silent for a moment as my mind went through the process of thinking this all through. I grabbed my arm and grasped it slightly as I wondered if I truly am just afraid. It's all because of Marlow that I'm here in the first place and I know I definitely look up to him. He is so kind, and compassionate to others. I can't help but think about amazing he is and when I do…I feel happy. I feel kind of giddy and girly as I start having…sweet thoughts about him. Perhaps this is what Robbie is talking about. But do I truly want to pursue…a relationship with Marlow? What am I to gain from it that I can't have with him as a friend? Or am I expected to chase after Marlow in love for the sake of experiencing love itself…? I do want to know what it is like to be in love and date someone. But…why should I want it?
After a moment I finally said, "O-okay….say I do want to give this a try and I might like Marlow. What makes you think he likes me too?"
"Just a guess!" Robbie quickly said back to me.
"That doesn't make me feel more confident at all…" I replied, sulking as I went over to the bed.
Robbie then said, "But…Marlow must think of you as someone close to him. He's done a lot for you and even invited you to help him out with his work constantly. He has never asked anyone else to help from what I know. And he comes to check up on more often than anyone else has guided to the shelter. To top it all off…Marlow seems different when he is with you. It's hard to explain since he's so…well he's more open with you Veronica."
"More…open…?" I said as I thought about it. I had no idea how seriously I should take Robbie's words but I also felt I should take them into consideration. I mean Robbie seems to be better at this than me…I think. I mean he's been stalking Vivian for a while and all his hard work finally paid off! "Okay…well. I guess…I can give it a whirl. What am I supposed to do?"
"Well, I can't say I was prepared so this might sound a bit rough…" Robbie said timidly. He then reached in his pocket and pulled out a piece of paper that folded out onto the floor and stretched out to the wall! "But I did make this short list!"
"…Holy! Short list? Did you go to the North Pole and rob Santa Clause?" I exclaimed as I looked up and down the list. "This must have taken forever to write out!"
"What are you talking about? I wrote this on my way here!" Robbie said, waving me off with his hand like I was just being silly. I stared at Robbie intensely as I could just feel his aura of superior work skills that I could never have achieved. "Now! Let's see…first things first. We are going to make you look like a lovely princess! Ah, you are going to look so dazzling that Marlow will have to just whisk you off your feet and carry you off somewhere!"
The image of being carried princess style by Marlow made me feel even more embarrassed about the whole thing. This was such a crazy idea! Marlow would never do that for me…or would he?
"W-well…I don't think I have anything that is so princess like in my outfits," I said as I looked over to the drawers with my clothes in them. Robbie was about to go check for himself but I knew if he saw the clothes I had tucked away under the more "normal people" clothing he might find out about how wealthy I was. I didn't know why I was trying so hard to cover my past life as a secret so deeply, but I simply do not know how they would react to me being a rich girl…let alone a Sinclair. I went swiftly over and guarded the drawers from Robbie who looked at me confused.
"What's wrong?" Robbie asked me.
"W-what's wrong? What….is wrong? Well…isn't it obvious? You're trying to look through a maiden's clothing which is her business and her business alone! Besides…you don't want to see anything 'personal' right Robbie?" I said, eyeing him carefully.
"O-oh! Right…well hmm if you don't have anything that will wow him. I believe I will simply have to pull something out for you," Robbie said as he rubbed his chin.
I thought about that for a second before saying, "Oh Robbie, please do not tell me you just 'happen' to have women's clothing with you!" I really didn't want to lose all my faith in Robbie and label him as a creepy stalker.
"No! But…I know a woman here at the shelter who works as a seamstress. She's an elderly woman who is quite skilled in her work. She had a daughter who she would make dresses for or so I heard once before by chance. The dresses she would make are quite lovely so I'll ask her for one. We got to make you look your best!" Robbie said.
"My best," I thought? Was that even possible for me to look my best….what even was my best? I just thought back to how my mom would always make insults about my physical appearance. She would call all me all sorts of things that just made my pain grow more and more. I remember it got to a point that her words were able to make me break down and cry and I would run back to my room in my tears as a child. My mom was quite obsessed with her physical appearance now that I think about it. She would always say that a woman's beauty was all she truly had in this world. That if a woman was beautiful then she could obtain anything she wanted. It was her greatest strength if not her only true strength.
She said only women could be beautiful in this world and men could not. Oh they could be quite handsome and even gorgeous! But not beautiful. Beautiful was a word for the women who has obtained power over other women and was recognized for it. Women do not dress up for men she explained to me, we dress and look our best to impress other women first then for men. But men are all too stupid to even notice anyway in the end. But if other women recognizes a woman as beautiful then they are the lucky ones in this world. "They will find love. They will obtain what they want and if they can't then they can simply get something else in this world! Our beauty is all we have Veronica for this is an ugly world for women," she said to me.
Ugly. She used to describe this world. Ugly. She used to describe me who apparently in her eyes was not beautiful. I was a failure of a woman and inadequate in comparison to her. My mother was revered as a truly beautiful woman by everyone. Believe it or not she makes the cover of fashion magazines quite often and her job as a model lands her many gigs due to the high demand for her. Other people have told me that I was beautiful…but not once has my mother said it to me. She's never even called me pretty, cute, or even just nice. And because of that words from others only mean so much to me even though they should! I always wanted to be complimented on my appearance as any girl or any person would. But their words…they just don't seem to have the same weight as they would for my mother. I want to hear it from her…but I would never get that woman to say that about a plain looking girl like me.
"I see, are you sure it's okay for us to simply ask for one?" I asked.
"It's fine. She's a very kind woman and would be happy to let those dresses she keeps locked up be put some good use. But moving on from the outfit, the next step would be…" Robbie went through his long list of things to do. I didn't really pay attention and just decided to let Robbie do what he wants since he seems to have it all planned out. My mind was focused on other things or I should be honest and say it was thinking about Marlow. Ever since this whole conversation started it felt as if my heart began to flutter. I understand the saying that there were butterflies in one stomach now clearly. I was nervous and anxious, it felt like my hands would keep fluttering themselves. I am restless now and I never felt this way before. Robbie says it I who is opening Marlow up but I think it is Marlow who is opening up to all of these feelings that were long since suppressed in my home. What will happen…if my feelings just broke free?
It took us a while to get ready as during this time Robbie went to ask the old lady he spoke of who just happened to be the woman that spoke to me before in the courtyard. Her name as Robbie told me was Ms. Enda and she is one of the oldest people to join the shelter and has been here the longest, around the time it was founded by Miss Laurelie actually. She was happy to offer me a dress and asked for me to personally come to pick one I liked. I went to her room near the Southern corridors with Robbie guiding me and went into the room that smelled of peppermint or some scent similar to it. Ms. Enda sat in a chair knitting quietly as her roommate and close friend Ms. Aya watched television on a small TV in the corner of their small room. Ms. Aya looked similar to Ms. Enda almost like they were related but was of a wider build and looked more intimidating. Ms. Enda roomed with her friend Ms. Aya for years, who was quite the snooty and vicious old lady. When me and Robbie greeted both ladies as kindly and polite as we could she just told us to get out.
Ms. Enda got onto her friend for her rude behavior but Ms. Aya growled back at Ms. Enda. She said, "Oh don't give me any of that hoot and toot of yours Enda! I am trying to watch my shows and you're going to have guests of all times? And children no less! Look at them! You invite the blonde stalker and a streetwalker!"
Ms. Enda snapped at her, "Now you hush up you! These children are our guests and their names are Robbie and Veronica. They are Laurelie's stay in workers and they have done much for their elders and this shelter! Now you just watch your show!"
"Ah blah, blah, blah!" Ms. Aya said, distastefully.
Ms. Enda shook her head at her friend before reinventing her expression and looking at us. She then said cheerfully, "You would like a dress of mine is what Robbie has told me, is that correct? Well I have plenty of those!"
"Yeah! It's taking up closet space you old hoarder!" Ms. Aya cowed to Ms. Enda who glared at her. Ms. Enda then tried her best to smile and refocus on me and Robbie. We just tried our best to be polite and not get on Ms. Aya's bad side.
Ms. Enda then said, "Well…I used to be a seamstress you know! I made my little girl plenty of dresses. I would embroider them with such lovely patterns and she would shine so beautifully with the letters! I had a lot more color back in my hair and she was a lot younger then. Was she about to get married…? Or was that later? Ah, look at little old me. Rambling on!"
"Like usual?" Ms. Aya added in.
"Quiet you old hag!" Ms. Enda said back to her and went on. "But unfortunately my daughter was an adult when I started making dresses for her again. I started when she as a child but she didn't like dresses so much in her teen years! She liked jeans and what not…and other clothing…"
Ms. Aya spoke again, "She was a hoochie girl! Every time I saw her the girl's shorts shrunk in size as if she put it in the washer too long!"
"I thought you were watching TV Aya!" Ms Enda said to Ms. Aya. Ms. Aya grew quiet but was still rambling on under her breath. I was surprised these two were apparently close friends. I kind of felt like me and Vivian could end up like these two old ladies somehow. "I'm sorry about her. The old bird has quite the beak on her!"
Ms. Aya ignored Me. Edna as Ms. Edna looked me up and down. "Ah, now we are taking up your time. But I don't have any dresses you could wear that you could fit sweetie. I apologize. What's the occasion anyway?"
I nervously replied, "Oh…well…I was planning on asking a guy…I umm like on a date. Robbie suggested I should wear a dress to wow him and go on a date with."
"Marlow?" Ms. Enda and Ms. Aya asked at once.
"How did you two know?" I asked in shock.
"Honey, we're old. What do you think we do with our time?" Ms. Aya said bluntly. "The problems of the youth are what interests us!"
Ms. Enda for once did not snap back at her friend. Now I was completely embarrassed that even the adults and elders know who I like! Is it truly that obvious? I'm terrible at keeping things under wrap…
"Hmm…Marlow huh? Well then Ms. Aya and I must help you with this!" Ms. Edna proclaimed as she got up from her chair slowly and a bit of struggle and went to the closet to her side. She began taking out some of her sewing equipment and setting it down on a chair. She took out boxes with needles and threads, cutting equipment, snappers and zippers, buttons, fabrics, and other sewing supplies.
I quickly said, "Oh…you don't have to do this for me!"
"Oh shut your pie hole!" Ms. Aya said to me as she already had a foldable table taken out from the side of her chair. She stood up easily and placed the table in the middle of the room that took up all the center space so Robbie and I had to move into a corner to get out of their way. "I've been waiting for you to say something Enda! The needle is calling my name!"
"Oh I know it was Aya! Nothing can keep you away from the seams!" Ms. Enda replied as she took out more equipment and set it in her chair. She began handing something to Ms. Aya to put in her chair and the women quickly got in to their work zone. Nothing Robbie and I could say would stop these two now.
Robbie then said, "Wait…are you two going to make Veronica a dress of her own? Won't that a long time to do?"
"Oh boy that wouldn't us take too long!" Ms. Edna said with a scowl. "It would take us about ten…no twelve hours to make a dress! Including a certain some's nitpicking!"
Ms. Enda replied, "Oh you never complain about my nitpicking when I find your mistakes! Now I am thinking we shall turn this girl into a beautiful swan! I have just the pattern in mind, ah and perhaps some diamonds, oh Aya we haven't got the chance to make a dress like this in years! How long has it been for us?"
"Fifteen years for me! And perhaps thirteen for you? Who's keeping track anyway?" Ms. Aya joked as she grabbed a sewing machine next to her chair and set it out on the table. The two ladies looked to me like they were having a lot of fun already. I couldn't possibly stop them now but they were going to make me a dress. They told us my dress would be ready by tomorrow and it would be an Aya and Edna special! Robbie looked excited for me as he said their dresses were the best he has seen. He had saw one of their dresses when he helped Ms. Edna carry a box full of them to her room. I believed Robbie but I still was nervous about the whole thing.
Robbie and I left them to their work and Robbie went over his list of things to do. Now I have Robbie and Ms. Edna and Aya working to help me out with this! And Robbie was just getting started with his list. Robbie had us visiting different people in the shelter to help me do different things. Two stylists who were Ms. Shanae her cousin Jasmine would do my hair and nails. Mr. Edward used to work with jewelry and would provide me with some of his finest works. Ms. Faulkner would even help me with makeup! I couldn't believe that I was literally getting my own small dream team of people to help me with this. They were all people I have spoken with and have listened to their stories. None of them wanted anything from me but my own happiness. It was odd, but at the same time I felt so happy that I had so many people willing to help me. I never could have dreamed of something like this happening for me before with any of the staff at the mansion. I didn't know them, they were strangers. But I knew these people and they knew me. We had a bond and it was because of that bond that do these acts of kindness for me so easily.
Now that the perfect team was assembled for me all that was left was for me to ask Marlow out. The hard part apparently. Everyone was rooting for me and Ms. Edna and Ms. Aya are already making the dress! I don't really have much choice but to go out with him now do I? And of course Marlow shows up today of all days to come talk with me. What are the odds? Is life shining on me now of all days? It seems everything in the world just enjoys watching my love story!
Marlow found me in the courtyard where I was waiting for him. Robbie had spotted him when he entered the foyer and ran to tell me. He ordered me to go to the courtyard as he tells Robbie where I am. I did as my fairy godmother told me to and went to the courtyard. Now Marlow approaches me, completely unaware of the expectations that are on him and me! Of course only a Robbie and my elders working on the dress actually know it's Marlow…I hope. My heart was thumping in my chest like fireworks and my chest rose and fell with each deep and quick breath I took. The back of my neck had an uneasy feeling within it as I went over what I was supposed to do constantly in my mind. I never felt like this with Marlow before but now that everyone has put all these thoughts in my head…I feel like I truly do like Marlow.
"Hey Veronica! How are you today?" Marlow said as he stood in front of me. His cheery smile that was bright enough to lit up a room now brightened the smile on my face.
"H-hey Marlow, I'm doing…great! How about you?" I asked Marlow.
"I'm doing well enough, Marlow replied. "Robbie said you had to ask me something?"
Oh come on Robbie! You didn't trust in me enough to ask him on my own? Now I have to go for it…
"Oh…yeah I do. Umm…I wanted to ask you something alright!" I said to Marlow as enthusiastically as I could with an even bigger smile. I just stared at Marow with what I assumed was a Cheshire grin at this point.
Marlow looked at me abnormally and asked, "So…what did you have to ask me?"
"Huh…? Oh! Right! I have to ask you…what I wanted to ask you so you can know what I wanted to ask so I have to ask and that way neither of us gets confused! Isn't it weird how things work that way? Man! Oh, I know! We should instead ask why people have to ask questions in the first place! Like what is up with that…you know?" I said, nodding my head with my arms folded. Oh. My. God. What in the world am I talking about? I sounded like such a royal dummy!
Marlow laughed at me like I just put on a comedy routine for him. "Okay then…is this like a joke of yours Veronica? Well you have the rest of the day off right? Want to go for a walk?"
No. No. No! He's asking me out somewhere! I am so happy that he asked me but he's asking me…in the wrong way! For a different purpose! I have to ask him…I got to just say it! Come on you coward! Ask him!
"Umm…no….well I mean we can but…I wanted to…" I struggled to get the words out and it pained me that I couldn't say it. I was so scared of what would happen if he would say no. That one little word is all it takes to bring me down so low! Just the thought of rejection was terrifying but I had to ask myself. Would I rather deal with being a coward or being rejected? And I have so many people supporting me…of all people. I just have to do it!
"Veronica?" Marlow said to me, concerned about me.
I took a deep breath and looked at Marlow directly in the eyes. I exhaled and took another breath before finally asking Marlow. "Do you…like…want to go out with me tomorrow?"
I said it! I said it! I can't believe I said it!
"Go out with you tomorrow? Oh, sure why not. It's surprising to have you ask me somewhere so it sounds like fun! I'm always taking you to places I want to go anyway. I guess I never really asked what you wanted to do…sorry," Marlow said, as he felt bad for me. The mood changed and gave me a sense of relief that I desperately needed.
"Oh no! It's fine Marlow! I don't really know of any places in town anyway, so why don't you pick a place for us to go tomorrow as well!" I said to him.
"Huh? You want me to pick? I thought you had a place in mind?" Marlow responded to me.
I realized that I couldn't exactly say something like a fancy restaurant or anything like that with Marlow. We're both homeless after all! We can't exactly afford to go to any really nice places. So where should we go for a date? I then saw in the background Robbie holding up a sign. I couldn't believe just how dedicated Robbie is to this but he is perhaps the best wingman I could ever ask for. The sign said to ask for a romantic place.
"What are you looking at Veronica?" Marlow said as he was about to turn his head around but I quickly grabbed his face with my hands as Robbie ducked down to hide. Marlow then looked into my eyes as I looked into his at that moment. It almost looked I was preparing myself to kiss him on tip toes. I shied away from the moment and took my hands off of him.
"U-umm! Nothing! So how about a uhh…romantic place?" I asked him quickly.
"Romantic…?" Marlow asked me blankly.
"I mean…! A really nice place…but not like expensive nice! Like…uhh…serene nice! A place you would take a special person…?" I said. Okay what in the world am I saying? Am I just throwing anything out there at this point?
Marlow didn't seem to mind as a thought came to him. "Okay…romantic right? I got a place in mind then. It's kind of far away from here but I think I can call in a few favors. Besides we do need to celebrate don't we?"
I stopped and asked what Marlow meant by celebrate but he told me not to worry about it for now. He then said he would handle everything for me tomorrow and he would come by around noon to pick me up. Marlow then told me goodbye as he was going to prepare for tomorrow as he quickly rushed out the shelter. I was surprised by how enthusiastic he was about going out with me. I wondered if he was actually looking forward to this. I was so giddy and cheerful that a smile was practically engraved into my face as I nearly skipped over to Robbie to tell him the good news. The mission was a success and we would be ready for the perfect date. Though Robbie told me I messed up the question as he tried to explain that there is a difference in the meaning "going out" with someone. I meant a place but Robbie wanted me to use the term as asking Marlow to make me his girlfriend! I don't think I was ready for that and was just glad to go on a date with him…but now I asked if Marlow thought of this as a date.
I then had to use the restroom and left Robbie for a moment. I wouldn't find out until much later that Vivian noticed me and Robbie going around and acting suspicious. She waited for me to leave Robbie alone so she could interrogate him personally.
She grabbed Robbie by his shirt forcefully and asked him, "What are you and Veronica up to?"
"Huh? Oh…nothing Vivian! You don't have to worry about it!" Robbie told her, and was quite frankly afraid of her.
"Don't play games with me Robbie! My aim with a knife is getting a lot better…and oh…are these ears of yours for decoration…?" Vivian taunted Robbie. His heart skipped a beat and he spilled everything in a moment to Vivian. Vivian was shocked when she found out about my crush but wasn't surprised. She said she would keep a secret thankfully but when Vivian turned around she saw Miss Laurelie and Mr. Michael standing there. They both wanted to know what was going on as they overheard a part of Robbie and Vivian's conversation.
"Opps…" Vivian mumbled to Robbie who face palmed himself. They both had no choice but to tell Miss Laurelie and Mr. Michael as well without me knowing.
When I came back I saw Robbie looking defeated for some reason. He wouldn't tell me so I just thought he was worried about the date. Oh how wrong I was and how foolish I was to think anybody else would find out. But the day went by as normal and I found myself in the morning getting ready for the date with my team of personal experts.
It was amazing how truly rich I felt in that moment and not in the terms of money but just life. My hair was styled to be curly in a ponytail in the back as if I was getting it ready for prom. My fingernails and even my toenails were painted a sky blue and I apparently got my nails done in a professional matter. That felt so therapeutic to actually get my nails done and I didn't want to admit but I felt kind of spoiled. I felt like a princess actually, a genuine and beautiful princess.
And I truly felt like a princess when I saw Ms. Enda and Ms. Aya's finished dress. I was completely blown away by when I went to try it on. It was a light blue funeral dress with white satin bows on each row on the skirt, sleeves and middle of neckline for twelve bows in total. The bows were hot cut so they will never fray. The dress was mostly cotton with 2" of stretch. Polyester lace. The sleeves are elasticized with a zipper in back for entry. And the zipper was so cute as it was in the shape of a bird.
"Well Veronica, what do you think of it? Does it fit well everywhere? Not too roomy or too tight?" Ms. Edna asked me as I had put the dress on. It fit me perfectly as if it was a second skin!
"Too tight? She just barely has breasts Enda! They haven't grown fully enough for her to complain about this dress being tight!" Ms. Aya said to me. I didn't even want to comment on this in my head but my eyes couldn't help but look down and feel a little bad.
Ms. Enda told me not to worry with things like that and asked for me to turn and face her for a better look. I turned with a swirl and faced her and she mystified by my appearance. Ms. Aya seem impressed too as she eyed me with a smirk on her face. I looked in the mirror they had taken out and saw a girl in the mirror I was shocked to see could even exist in this world. I had sparkly makeup on that I never would of thought would be on me before with a dress and style I couldn't even imagine would fit me. I was…beautiful.
For the first time ever I called myself beautiful. For what felt like it has been an eternity I wasn't ashamed of the way I looked. I stepped over to the large mirror and looked at the girl in the mirror with awe. Who was she? Was this girl me? How could it have been me? This girl was good-looking and so striking to the eye! What tools were used to sculpt this girl's glimmering brown eyes I wonder? Those long eyelashes that used to carry tears on them couldn't feel so elegant could they? My skin seemed to gleam and sparkle with the light that came in from the window in the room. The dress glittered within the light as well that made me feel like I was in a dream. My delicate hands and body moves easily within its own body with no shame filling the corridors that course through it. I felt like myself and though it may sound conceited to say but I loved…me. This is what true beauty must be I realized in that moment… true beauty is to love one's self with one's own eyes.
The word simply escaped from my mouth as I slowly placed my hand on the mirror and said, "Beautiful…"
Ms. Enda came over to me and nodded as she looked in the mirror with me. "You are…you truly are Veronica."
Ms. Enda then looked surprised when she looked at my face. She saw a single tear then another flow from my eyes and slip down my cheeks. She looked at me concerned and asked me what was wrong with me. I quickly saw that I was crying but from sadness or grief like these eyes were used to. Those tears that I saw in my eyes, they too were beautiful in that they were formed from such a glorious emotion. And tears formed from happiness are never wrong nor could they ever be vile and ugly. Those tears shimmer and glow with the joy and delight that created them.
"Now missy quit crying! You're going to ruin that makeup you got on!" Ms. Aya said as she walked over to my other side from Ms. Enda. At that moment I hugged them both suddenly which brought surprise to both of the ladies.
"Thank you both so much…thank you!" I cried to them both. I heard them give a big sigh of a relief as they both must have understood something about me. Ms. Edna patted me on the back and told me everything was going to be okay. Ms. Aya rolled her eyes and said the same thing to me though she tried to hide it from me. I knew she wanted to show some compassion in this moment.
I pulled away from them both and smiled at them both. Ms. Enda then began to say, "Ah…I am so amazed with you Veronica. You are truly beginning to learn what it means to fly after all. Your wings will far more beautiful than you can ever imagine Veronica! Before you even know it…you will be soaring! You remind me so much…of my daughter…"
Ms. Enda said that and her eyes began to trail off away from me and her thoughts became preoccupied with something. Ms. Aya looked to her and seemed like she wanted to say something but stopped herself. Ms. Aya closed her eyes and then said, "Enda…don't do this to yourself…"
I was confused by what was happening as Ms. Enda seemed like she was prepared to start crying. But she forced herself to smile and tell me that I should be going since Marlow will be here soon. I listened and thanked them once more before taking my leave out the door. Outside Robbie was standing there and I was not even surprised but I was still scared! He's just so unexpected!
"Well then, shall I escort you milady?" Robbie asked me as he held his hand out to me. I noticed he was dressed in a fine dress outfit with a white cotton shirt with a collar paired with black dress pants and shoes tied by the waist with a belt.
"What are you doing Robbie…?" I asked him, laughing at him. Robbie was trying to act high class but stopped and sighed.
"Oh come on Veronica. Play along! Marlow himself asked me to do this for you! And a few others," Robbie said smiling as Vivian came up from behind him wearing a light green mini dress of her own. It was held up with a single flowery designed strap on her shoulder. She put her hair in a stylized pony tail and did some cleaning up of her own. She did not look too happy about this.
"Oh my gosh Vivian! You look so lovely! You actually remind me of Tinker Bell," I said to her, giggling. Vivian looked like she prepared to take my heart out and eat it in front of me by the look in her eyes.
"You….owe me BIG time," Vivian said, glaring at me. She folded her arms and stood there looking mad.
"She's just mad she had to put on a dress and look pretty for once!" Robbie said to me. His ear got quickly (and viciously) pinched by Vivian.
"Oh, so I don't look pretty unless I'm in a dress?" Vivian roared at Robbie who begged for mercy.
"But Vivian? You too? What is going on here? Don't tell me the whole shelter is in on this too!" I said to them both. Vivian let go of Robbie and the two looked at each other.
Robbie then spoke up and said, "It would seem Marlow is also taking today as a way to celebrate you coming to the shelter. Today is your celebration day Veronica." Robbie then pointed behind me.
I looked at them both before I looked behind me to see two rows of the people from the shelter standing on the side in the best clothes they had with them. They all stood there smiling at me and at the end of the hallway I saw Marlow dressed in a tuxedo and had cleaned himself up very nicely. Miss Laurelie and Mr. Michael were there next to him dressed up as well with Mr. Michael wearing a tuxedo and Miss Laurelie wearing a purple cocktail dress. Marlow winked at me and yelled, "Okay everyone! All together now on three….one…"
Then all at once the people around me including Vivian and Robbie chanted with Marlow. "Two…THREE…!"
"WELCOME TO MISS LAURELIE'S HOME FOR THOSE IN NEED VERONICA ÉCLAIR! THANKS FOR EVERYTHING!" They all shouted before they began clapping for me. I couldn't believe what I was witnessing as I felt time slow down in front of me. I saw the faces of all the people I knew here with me. People that even though I have only known them for a month I have gotten to know them and they have got the chance to know me. And behind all of this was Marlow who took this beyond what I could have possibly imagined. He got me. He surprised me and it was official for me at that very moment.
"Come on Robin Hood," Vivian said to Robbie as she stood next to me. "You too princess! It's your special day…might as well enjoy it!" Vivian then smirked at me as Robbie stood on my other side.
It almost felt like my wedding day by the way I was escorted by both Vivian and Robbie down the hallway. The clapping I heard all around me as I thanked as many of them as I could for…anything! I didn't think I could make as much as an impact from coming here. But to these people even if it was a small impact, it was an impression all the same. These people were celebrating me…and it felt so good. I felt so happy and in truly inside and out I felt…
"You look beautiful Veronica," Marlow said to me when I got down the hallway to him. I couldn't help but hug him and thank him for doing this for me.
"I can't believe you did all of this for me! You even got Miss Laurelie to help!" I said as I looked to Miss Laurelie.
Miss Laurelie looked over to me and responded, "You best appreciate I allowed this to happen! I swear us spoiling you like this, you better be working twice as hard from now on! And this dress…? Girl you better take a picture because I ain't wearing this again!"
"Oh I'm going to take plenty of pictures," Mr. Michael said with a wink. Miss Laurelie couldn't hold herself back as she punched Mr. Michael in the arm angrily. Mr. Michael grabbed his arm and nonchalantly called out ow.
Marlow then said, "Well I wanted everyone to look good for your special day! It's the first celebration party we have had for anyone! And everyone agreed that you should be the first we celebrate."
"Really?" I said in shock. "Me? But…I've only been here for a month. I don't deserve…"
Miss Laurelie quickly stopped me from speaking when she said, "Oh girl don't you start with that woe is me nonsense! Just enjoy today! You go and have fun on your date with Marlow and when you get back we'll have a nice dinner! But after this we're done for the whole month ya'll hear me? You better enjoy today!"
Mr. Michael then said, "Don't worry about Laury here. The shelter has received numerous donations of late and all because of you Veronica…and Marlow."
"Donations?" I asked.
"Yeah," Robbie began. "The shelter had stopped receiving a large portion of our funds from donations some time ago. But you and Marlow's increased efforts have brought more attention to the shelter and people have begun donating more to the shelter!"
"And…to commemorate that and you coming here Marlow thought we should have a celebration day," Mr. Michael said as he bowed to me.
"I can't believe it….are you serious?" I said as I looked to Marlow who shrugged his shoulders. "How long have you been planning this?"
"Not too long….but hey! Enough about that! We got to celebrate your good deeds! Ahem, Veronica my fair 'maiden' as you would say. Your chariot awaits!" Marlow said as he lent me his arm to take. I smiled and took his arm as he escorted me out the shelter's front doors to see an actual chariot led by a man riding his horse.
I shook my head and said, "No way. You have got to be kidding me! Is that a horse?"
"Good afternoon ma'am! The names Roger. I will be your guide for you and your date today, milady," the driver said with a tip of his hat. Every step I take I find myself just being amazed by what Marlow has pulled together for me. He told me had called in a favor from Mr. Roger from when he helped him out with his horses before. He also called in a few other favors that I will have to wait and see. I then realized that this whole event Marlow and I were helped by people whom both I and he have helped before. And now it has come full circle and I feel like I am walking on air itself. Marlow helped me onto the chariot before he got on himself and he kindly asked the driver to take off. I looked back and waved to the people from the shelter that came outside including my personal friends.
I wondered at that moment when was the last time I thought about going back home to the mansion. I then thought…that maybe I don't ever want to return to that place. Because life will surely take you to places you never thought you would go before as my date begins with Marlow. And I thought when I saw him look at me…that I don't just care for him. I think what I am feeling…is love.


© 2014 RamenNoodlesX


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
Added on July 21, 2014
Last Updated on July 21, 2014


Author

RamenNoodlesX
RamenNoodlesX

About
Hi! The name is RamenNoodles, and I'm a young male writer hoping to make a living out of my stories. My dream is to create stories for video games above all! I always enjoyed playing games and the sto.. more..

Writing