The Shelter

The Shelter

A Chapter by RamenNoodlesX

Marlow led me downtown somewhere an hour away from where we were or at least that is what it felt like. I have never been to this part of town before in my entire life. In matter of fact I don't think I have ever experienced any part of the town besides the path to and from school and my house along with the path to the fitness center close by. Actually being out here in the real world was an exhilarating and strange new experience to me! I was simply blown away by the new world which allowed me to walk through its doors. My eyes feasted on the new sights that were painted on a beautiful portrait before me. It was as if a master painter must have skillfully demonstrated his or her abilities by crafting the world before me. Each piece of the world before my eyes seemed to be specifically designed to be a work of art. The paint was chipped off the buildings making them look weary and old beyond their prime years. There were plenty of dark alleys where the sun would barely shed even a fraction of a light on them. They looked like dark tunnels which lead to voids unknown to me. I wondered if new worlds lied at the end of each of them just waiting to be discovered by someone. As I looked down at my feet I saw there were junk and trash littered about in random spots all across the ground. In truth this area to most people would be considered unpleasing and not worth living in. One look at this place would make people think twice about stepping foot here. Yet, strangely to me, I thought it would be interesting to live life here despite its appearance. It simply does not matter how it looks to me for whatever reason. Even if a home looks bad all it takes is some love to make it truly feel like a home right? Appearance should not entirely matter as long as the home has…love…I think. I would like to believe that would be the case.

Perhaps I can only say this because the only life I have ever known is the one I had within a prestigious mansion. But do people not wonder what life is like for others? What life would be like if one was born elsewhere? Anywhere else in the world? I wondered for a long portion of my life if there would ever be people who could understand what I feel.

Now I found those people who possibly may understand this yearning for something…I can't even describe the feeling in words for what I desire. This odd feeling of freedom which surrounds me since I was kicked out of my house will surely take some getting used to I thought as I took a closer look at my surroundings. We had arrived in a shady part of town where there were a lot of homeless people on the street. It was harder more than it ever could have been to see these people without homes. Our town has a severe homeless problem which has become social norm for this town. Everyone knew about the homeless that filled the town's streets and the homeless were a growing issue ever since the crash of the housing market in recent years. A lot of people lost their homes when it happened and our town was hit perhaps the hardest in the nation. However, the housing market crash was not the sole reason for people to be were kids who had been abandoned with some being no older than five years old or were still toddlers. Young teens who ran away from their tough and abusing life styles. Adults who couldn't afford a home and even families as a whole with no place to call their own. It was heart wrenching to see someone living in this lifestyle and now…and now I will be joining them.

To think one will never know what will happen to when tomorrow, the next hour, or even the next minute comes. One day one can be looking down on these people and perhaps somewhere in that person's heart is a desire wish to help those who need it. I think how "hard" it is for people to stop their oh so busy life and lend these people aid. I mean even the smallest amounts of change in one's pocket could help. But I feel like no one ever stops their car in front of the people with signs that are begging for help. All we have to do is stop…and give them the smallest chance. But there's some proverb about giving to another once and you must deal with them always coming back for more. But that would mean there is a strong sense of selfishness on both sides. Too selfish to give and take responsibility for one side, and the other side is selfish enough to take and want more and more. Or perhaps it would be better to say that there is such a dark…greed in us all. But is greed always such a bad thing? Is it wrong to want something…badly? I am feeling quite greedy now I suppose. I greedily want to take anything Marlow is willing to offer to me. I hope that is not a bad thought to have.

I followed behind Marlow as I carried my possessions at my sides. I wondered where he was taking me exactly. He mentioned he would take me to a place where I could spend the night. I thought that by that he must be referring to the homeless shelters that were built to give a home or shelter to those without a place to call their own. The homeless shelters in this town are a lot more plentiful than one may think. I never would have noticed until I became one of them myself. It makes me wonder if that will be me on the side of the street forced to beg and beseech of even just coin to survive. Forced to stay on the streets all throughout the day and all throughout the night where anything could happen to me. Out here…exposed, unprotected, and quite frankly unwanted. I fear my condition may be even worse as a lone female girl with all sorts of sickos and nutjobs on the loose. Just the thought of what could happen to me frightened me.

I then noticed the hardships the homeless were going through as me and Marlow walked by. I noticed many of them were sickly beyond measures I have seen before. Some were terribly pale from sickness and a lack of nutrition, awfully thin due to starvation, and possibly freezing to death by the lack of proper clothing on some of them. It was so hard to watch as my fear grew of my own conditions. Would I have to rely on this…Marlow to take care of me? Could I rely on him? Well, I really don't have much of a choice do I? I have no idea what I'm doing or what I'm supposed to do. My thoughts trailed off into the future where I thought that I should get a job. However, I'm not sixteen yet so I am not able to get any job around here. I was also expelled from school and I cannot enter one on my own can I? There is also the matter of food, water, and just keeping myself with clothes that will fit me. Oh how I begin to feel a slight connection with myself and these people. Our lives are burdensome and are filled with grief and adversity. Then again…whose life is not filled with trouble? Even someone like me who was raised with silver spoons and clean mirrors still find trouble to pick up the utensil and see myself clearly in the mirror's reflection.

I guess I must have become too heavy with the weight of my thoughts as my pace slowed me down. Marlow noticed this and turned around to check up on me.

"Umm…ma'am? Are you all right? Do you not feel well? Should we stop and take a rest?" Marlow asked me with a sincere interest in my wellbeing.

"No," I said as I looked up to him and shook my head, "I am quite all right. I am just feeling…a bit weary is all. I guess you could say there is a lot on my mind right now…and it's hard to take it all in…" I said as I walked past Marlow and kept on going straight. I didn't even know if I should keep going straight or if I should go left or right, whether to cut the corner of Roseberry or go across the street to Mayside as the signs read. I was just walking aimlessly with no real goal in mind now. I had no idea what to do now besides walk forward at least. My goal was just to walk down this road that someone else has set out before me to walk upon. It's truly a shame really, that such a road must be walked by someone like me. Someone who couldn't even tell if this is the road less traveled by or not.

I approached the end of the path to an intersection that went two ways. Marlow then walked up beside me and I then asked him which way to go. He looked both ways with his hands on hip and stared off in the left direction and then he looked off into the right direction. Afterwards, he began rubbing his chin as if this situation was hard to comprehend.

"Well…does it really matter which way we go Veronica?" Marlow said as he scratched the back of his head. My eyes widened as I stared at him in bewilderment.

"What do you mean? Of course it matters! You're leading me somewhere so which way do we go?" I pressed Marlow to know. But he just laughed…and I swear to God if he keeps laughing at me like this so help me I will strike him so hard across the face! He looked at me and saw my angered expression that was drawn clearly on my face as I wanted him to feel my anger darting at him! I wanted him to feel it so hard that he felt like he was punched!

"Well, it seems you changed your expression quickly. Mopey Veronica doesn't seem so fun. I didn't think I would get a smile out of ya but angry Veronica is better than anything," he said with a lopsided smile. I then put a hand to my face and felt the angry expression from my cheeks. It made me feel even more muddled that he is able to easily sway my emotions.

"Angry Veronica is going to hit you if you continue to mock me! Now can you please just guide me Marlow?" I said without giving him a second look. I admit; I was being pretty upset about being upset with him, but what does he mean an angry Veronica is better than anything? What does he know?

But I guess he felt somewhat bad about my attitude. He sighed and told me that either way we go will take us to where we want to go since both paths goes around to where we need to go.

"We can go anyway we want Veronica, so you can go ahead and choose the path you want to go the most! So are we going to do eenie meenie miney moe?" Marlow said with a smile as he readied himself to actually do that children's rhyme. I couldn't believe this guy who is older than me is so ready to do such childish things. But ignoring him for a moment, I wondered why I haven't decided where to go yet? It's as simple as going left or right and here I am getting stumped. Both paths look pretty much the same, and it truly doesn't matter where we go…but…I can't make a choice for myself as sad it seems.. So I let Marlow finish doing the rhyme to pick a path and he chose the left one for us.

Feeling quite foolish about that small ordeal I just kept silent as he once again led us both. We walked across the street when the light turned green for pedestrians and went to the other side of the street where we passed a few small stores on our way. When we once again reached another intersection we headed north and then headed east to make a circle like Marlow said we would. We were on Sanctuary Rd. and of course we were at what I could only assume was a homeless shelter.

We stood in front of what looked to almost be an abandoned church. It was not very large in height but was exceptionally wide and stretched out for a good portion of the street. It was an old and worn out building made of concrete and brown to orange bricks. The front of it was supported with pillars and behind them were windows on the wall. It looked to be about a two story building with windows that I assumed were connected to other rooms in the building. But what struck out to me the most was the single rose colored glass window in the center of the building outside the second floor's wall. There was a yellow cross that had lost its color over time as one could tell but it was still a beautiful and colorful window that was a sight to see. Then right under that was a sign that read, "Laurelie's Home For Those In Need,"and the sign was adorned with different colored handprints of various sizes.

I then felt Marlow nudge me gently in my side with his elbow which made me look up to him. He had a big grin on his face as he stepped in front of me and placed his arms out wide and into the air as if he was unveiling something.

"Welcome Veronica! This is the place to go when you have nowhere else to go! No matter what your past is, no matter who you are, no matter if you're black, white, Hispanic, homosexual, transsexual, or whatever! At Laurelie's Home For Those In Need…there will always be a home for you and me!" Marlow said out loud, he practically yelled it to me. Then there was an awkward silence as I just stared at him blankly. He then stopped and stared back at me with a stiff expression.

"Look…I was told I have to say that if I ever bring people here. Give me some slack okay?" Marlow said to me as he dropped his arms and walked back over to me.

"Ah…it wasn't bad or anything. Was that supposed to be the slogan?" I asked him.

"Oh, yeah. The owner told me I have to start saying that to people. I told her it's a little…I don't know how to put it. Perhaps too optimistic or specific? But then again that's not a bad a thing at all for people. It's better than nothing right?" Marlow said while smiling. Hearing the slogan, it did make me feel a bit better and definitely a little more hopeful about coming here. I liked the slogan; it shows no discrimination against any kind of people. To feel accepted, now that's a feeling I didn't think I would feel in my lifetime.

"Ah," I said as I then felt curious. "Is this where you live Marlow?"

"Hmm? No I don't stay here. Oh, well, I occasionally I stop by Miss Laurelie's to stay for the night or just come by to help around the shelter. Which reminds me! You are just going to love the people here Veronica! They are all so kind and interesting folks! Especially Miss Laurelie! She is the owner and founder of this place and it's because of her that this side of the community gets so much help. I think you will like her a lot," Marlow said to me. However, when he said that he rolled his eyes and acted quite suspicious.

"I see, well I am kind of nervous to actually go inside. I have never been inside one of these before and it's not like I don't trust your word for it…but I am worried about being here. I have a lot to worry about and I don't know if I should stay here yet," I said back to Marlow, speaking in a worried tone of voice. Nonetheless, he looked at me with a reassuring smile and told me that I don't have to worry one bit. He was going to be right there with me to make sure I get settled in okay. That made me feel better and I hope I didn't blush from his comment. He was making me feel more and more like a girl by the way he is acting.

He walked me to the front doors and before we went in I took a deep breath as I began to feel anxious about this place. I worried if it would have a morbid appearance and bring my spirits down or if I wouldn't fit in with the people staying here. I know only so much about the Homeless which is mentioned in school and sometimes my parents talk about them but only to look down on them. I seriously questioned if I would be safe here? I didn't know all the answers but it seemed Marlow knew them very well. For each time I looked at him, he would simply smile at me and I felt I could do this…but only if he was by my side. It is crazy to believe how fast I am trusting him but that is most likely because I have no one else to depend on right now. I have to put my faith in Marlow and trust that he won't betray my trust…and will take care of me because I surely can't do it alone. So he pushed the doors open and there was a ding sound that came from a bell that hung on top of the door that rang each time it was opened I assumed. Then when I entered the shelter it was nothing like I expected it to be.

I was greeted by a warm wall of air as I entered the heated room. It appeared to be a recreational area of sorts or a lobby where I saw plenty of homeless people in the room. There were beds all lied out in the back of the room consisting of nothing more than small mattresses, multi colored and patterned blankets, and a single pillow per bed. There were couches lined up on the sides of the white-gray walls with a few wooden tables and vases on each of them with beautiful Iris flowers. But what surprised me the most was the mood of the entire room. There wasn't a single sad person in the room from what I can tell. No one was brooding over their living conditions or worrying about anything by the expressions and attitudes they carried. They were all laughing and enjoying the other's company in a joyous harmony. They were nothing like the people outside who were staying on the streets. These people appeared to be a lot happier and have less of a burden on their shoulders for sure. I was amazed by the joyful atmosphere of the entire room as I stepped cross the carpeted floor.

Another surprising thing to note was that when they noticed Marlow and me or I should say just Marlow they all became even more blissful than they were before and greeted him just as warmly as he greeted them. Some men rose from their table where they were playing a game of poker to come shake Marlow's hand. Then children came up and greeted Marlow before asking if he wanted to play another game with them. Marlow got to eye level with the children and told them he would play another time when he wasn't so busy and he also asked them if they were being good little children. They all giggled and laughed and told him very nicely they were trying their best to be and Marlow responded to them by saying that was good to hear and patted each of them on the head before they ran off to play elsewhere. It was simply amazing to see how kind everyone was treating Marlow and more so to see Marlow treat everybody so nicely. It was truly a sight to see…

Then some girls walked over to him and became obviously engrossed with Marlow. Three of them, all perhaps older than me. It slightly put me off that they were getting so friendly with Marlow. Not that…I claimed him like my own property or anything. Marlow treated them like fair young women and spoke to them carefully yet humbly. He had a way with words and seemed to be swooning those girls with his kindness but Marlow did not even notice from what I could tell.

However, as the girls were flaunting over Marlow who I assumed forgot about me for the moment. I did notice there was a girl who looked about my age in a corner on the opposite side of me I picked her out easily among all the people in the room by her clear isolation from the rest. She was sitting in the corner of the room with her knees brought up to her chest and arms holding her legs. She had light blonde curly hair with a pony tail in the back of her head. Her skin was a warm rosy color that stood out to me because of the noticeable scars one could see on her neck and her bruised hand that seemed to taint the beauty of her skin. She had ice cold blue eyes that felt like they had lost some light in them and made them appear more azure than anything. Almost as if her eyes were like deep pools of water that sunk into deep crevices. She was wearing a blue hoodie that had big and bold white letters that read "Smile" on the front along with a pair of worn white tennis shoes, and blue jeans that had patches on both of her knees where I assumed holes were before but got fixed.

She stood out as someone alluring to me and I don't quite understand why. It was like seeing somebody you already knew even though you know never met before. There was a feeling of nostalgia inside the contents of a box wrapped around with mystery that encased her. I wasn't sure how much I believed in destiny at this point in my day but seeing this girl and meeting Marlow. Why not? There was an instant connection between the both of us. At least I felt there was something between the both of us. She glanced over at me for a moment and when I looked back at her I felt something between us. I couldn't stop wondering if I should go over there and speak to the girl or just stand around and wait for Marlow. But as I saw he was still busy greeting people I felt perhaps going to speak to her wouldn't be a problem then. So I decided why not and carried myself and my packaging together and began walking over to her.

Then as destiny had a sense of humor I ran into as soon I walked towards the middle of the floor. Someone had run into me and crashed us both onto the ground. Luckily my backpack broke my fall but I hoped there was nothing valuable of mine put in there otherwise this person owes me big time! But from the force of the impact I felt it must have been an accident as it didn't hurt so much. The people in the room for the most part were either too focused on Marlow or something else to notice me on the floor. So I picked myself up and saw some papers scattered around me. I then looked ahead to see the most beautiful pair of green eyes I have ever seen mixed with Gardenia Elizabeth Taylor perfume from what I smelled. This person was wearing some very nice smelling women's perfume. This person was so beautiful and looked so pretty! There was a wall of womanhood with this person that I could not climb! A tower of feminism that surpassed anything I could even dream of. This person wore a thin white sweater and had tight velvet colored skinny jeans with bronze colored shoes. But when I took a moment to look closer I saw this person was a boy.

Yes, the person I just described was a boy despite my former description arguing that. If it wasn't for the fact that I noticed the clear differences between our bodies I fear I may have said sorry ma'am. The sad part is this guy was obviously much more appealing as a woman than I was and I didn't deny it in the slightest for some reason. I looked upon this blond boy with great interest in him. He had a small and girlish body frame and demeanor about him. He also seemed quite timid as I saw the boy scramble to the floor to pick up the paper he dropped without giving me even a second look. He groaned slightly and winced back from me when he saw me look at him.

Well, I wasn't going to just sit here on my butt and not help him out so I began picking up some papers that I tried not to read but the bold letters at the top brought my attention to them. They seemed had to do something with finances and economics I would believe. I wouldn't take this boy to be interested in economics but he could be studying for something? When we had picked up all the papers we had got up from the floor I then handed him the set of papers I picked up. He took them all up into his arms and held the papers close to his chest. He then finally looked me in the eyes and spoke to me. And lord this boy spoke so softly that it was almost hard to hear him say a single word.

"I'm…s-so sorry ma'am. I wasn't looking…w-where I was going. I was in a rush when I shouldn't be. Are you okay? Are you hurt?" he asked me so sincerely that I felt like I was being spoiled.

"No, I'm fine. You didn't really hit me that hard," I said back to him. I wouldn't doubt it if a butterfly could beat this guy up. He's looks so weak and innocent at the same time.

He took a sigh of relief and said, "Oh that's good. I wouldn't want to hear that I hurt you somehow…oh! Where is my manners, umm my name is Robbie. I stay here at the shelter, and who might you be?"

"Oh…umm my name is Veronica. I…am visiting this place I suppose. Or maybe I'm staying here, I'm not quite so sure yet," I said with a meek smile and shrug. That surely caught his attention but he didn't need to ask it seems as he looked behind me and saw Marlow walking up to us. Marlow had even picked up the brief cases I let go of when I was hit by Robbie and held them in his hands. When he saw Robbie he greeted him with a smile and Robbie timidly put one on his expression in return.

"Hey Robbie, is that the papers for Miss Laurelie?" Marlow asked Robbie who nodded his head. Marlow then thought about that for a quick second before asking if Miss Laurelie was close by. He said, "I got to talk to her about helping Veronica here out. She's a new friend of mine that I want to help. I was hoping Miss Laureli might be willing to maybe let her stay here and perhaps do some work here with you and Vivian so she can be a stay in. Where is Vivian anyway? I thought I just saw her?" Marlow asked as he looked over to the corner where that girl I was going to see was. Robbie and I looked over to and saw that she was no longer there and had went somewhere else. I was disappointed I didn't get to talk to her but at least I know her name.

"Oh you know Vivian. She isn't too fond of crowds of people or anything. She likes to be left alone so she probably went up to her room to stay in," Robbie told us. Marlow nodded his head and then looked to face me.

"So what do you think of the place so far? Definitely a lot of people staying in this shelter right?" Marlow said with a brimming smile. I wondered if the amount of people was supposed to make me feel better. Not that I fully bothered by having lots of people here, but I was not exactly a social butterfly or anything.

"It's not so bad…definitely lively to say the least. I am surprised at the warm homely feeling I get from here. Is it always like this?" I asked Marlow.

"Mmhmm," he responded back to me, "Miss Laurelie keeps it that way. Makes sure it feels like a home more than anything else. It's like we're all her children or just her family in general. She keeps us all in line but also takes good care of us all. Ain't that right Robbie?" Marlow said as he elbowed Robbie in his shoulder. And I swear Robbie took it more to heart than it actually was. He began crying out repeated ows while holding his shoulder. Was this boy made out of straw? It seemed kind of pathetic but at the same time really shows how gentle he is.

At that moment I thought about just who this Miss Laurelie was like. I been wondering who she was ever since I saw the sign and my curiosity about her grew as Marlow keeps mentioning her. If she can truly manage all these people then she must be a strong figure to the shelter.

Then suddenly the sound of a whistle sounded through the air loudly from outside. It was high pitched and loud like one a coach or referee uses during sports. I covered my right ear slightly due to the bother of the sound I heard but I noticed everyone else in the room didn't. They must have been used to hearing this sound and knew what came with the sound of the whistle. A lot of them left the room in a hurry to do "chores" and other things they were supposed to doing as I heard them say when they left. Their happy atmosphere turned to a more fearful one but not that of complete horror. It felt almost like me when I didn't clean my room and Niles would scold me for it. The anticipation of being punished was the feeling to describe the room. Sure enough their strong symbol of strict discipline walked through the door with a powerful aura of strength that silenced the room.

At first sight I knew instantly who this woman had to be from what I have heard and seen. An African woman who was none other than Miss Laurelie, the owner of this shelter. She carried herself like a warrior that held her scars and wounds from battle within her chest. These wounds were open for all to see but none dared strike at them again or even mention the traumas upon her. It made her feel more powerful and strong willed than anyone I have seen before. She had long dark hair that flowed like little streams until they reached the bridge of her shoulders. Her skin tone was a light brown that was glazed with a light cinnamon. She wore a dignified and refined black sheath dress with long leather black heels coupled with a black leather purse. She carried herself stronger than any man while holding onto a beauty only a woman could hold. There was an ornate purple whistle hanging from around her neck and she looked through the room with her brown iron eyes until they met with Marlow's.

Then her cold stone expression quickly became lighter as she smiled and took loud steps through the silent room. It was incredible how easily she is able to create a force that could battle a hurricane with a single blow by silencing the room. I couldn't imagine how it was possible this woman would appear to me with such a soft smile on her hardened face. She walked up to the three of us, and smiled at Marlow while tilting her head. Marlow returned with a small smile and before he could even say thing Marlow got punched by Miss Laurelie at the back of his head. Her punch made Marlow double over in pain with his hands over his head.

"Boy! Where the Hell do you think you've been for the past few days? I told you to be back here by Friday and you come back to me on a Sunday? That's two days more than it should have been boy! I should hit ya twice but your knuckle head would just laugh it off like an idiot! Did you even do the job you were supposed to for Ms. Peter's?" she asked him loudly, in a tone that reminded me of my father. She spoke strictly, harshly, and yet at the same time left room for ease so the other person can speak. I felt bad for Marlow who looked like a puppy that upset their master. He practically whimpered as he looked up to her.

"Y-yeah, I mean yes ma'am!" Marlow said to her with a quick response but she wasn't buying it one bit. She glared at him intensely and Marlow swallowed the excuse that was going to come out of his mouth. "Well…I planned on helping her tomorrow…"

Clunk, clunk, flick! Two more hits to the head with a flick of her finger to his forehead and Marlow was wailing in pain. She shook her head and began scolding him again for not doing as she told him to. Some of the people in the room began laughing along with Robbie at the scene. Miss Laurelie then turned her attention to them with a fearsome glance.

"What ya'll fools laughing at? Keep it up, I dare ya'll! Ya'll gonna be cleaning the gutters and the floors for two weeks if you keep up that laughing. In matter of fact didn't ya'll hear the whistle I done blew? Get back to work! I have been here for only five minutes past five after getting off early from work just to come back here to check on you guys and I don't see no chores done nor do I see any meals made! It's Sunday, so that means family dinner! Now let's get to work!" she yelled before she blew on her whistle again. The rest of the people in the room began to scatter and go off to places. I was blown away by how this woman was able to make even grown men and women follow her orders like children.

When a majority of the people had left she gave an accepting look with a nod and then looked back to us three. That's when she noticed me and gave me a gentle look upon seeing me. She smiled and looked at me like a welcomed new guest.

"Oh, and I see you brought a friend of yours Marlow?" Miss Laurelie said to Marlow who looked up to her and nodded.

"Yes ma'am! This is Veronica, and I just met her today on the streets. She was looking for a place to stay and…"

"Oh boy, don't say no more. I already know where that sentence is going to lead as I heard it too many times before," Miss Laurelie said as she shook her head and walked past and between Marlow and Robbie. I thought for sure she just flat out rejected the idea of me staying here by her response and Marlow and Robbie's look of disappointment on their face. I was surprised Robbie even felt for me even though we just met and surprised me further when he spoke on my behalf.

"But…Misses Laurelie, she is a nice girl and she has agreed to work with us. She can work with me and Vivian here in the shelter so she won't be staying for free," Robbie said. Wait, hold up. I never said I was going to work here, but I mean I don't really mind working. It is only fair that I do that for a place to say. It's just that I rather it came from my mouth than this boy I just met!

Marlow supported Robbie by saying, "Yeah ma'am! Plus she said she would work especially hard to help out around the shelter. She can cook, clean, and wash everything that needs washing!"

Okay seriously when did any of those words come from my mouth! Once again, I don't entirely mind but it irks me that they can say all of this so easily! Wait; did he just say cooking and cleaning? I can't even make oatmeal correctly let alone cook a meal! And washing? I hope that's as simple as throwing clothes into a washer as I have seen on the internet. I have never worked a day in my life but I tried not to think about that right now.

Miss Laurelie had went over to a counter and set her purse down on the counter. She then leaned on the counter with her elbow and looked back to us with a hard look that felt like it was looking into my soul. Was she judging me with her steel eyes? Seeing if I was fit to live here? I hoped I looked okay enough to live here if that was the case.

"Now Marlow, Robbie. You both know that we have a lot of people staying here in this home of mine. We already got enough to deal with as it is with maintaining the shelter each year, paying the bills each month, and making sure there is food on the table each day with happy people. It's too hard for me to keep taking in person after person when I'm already working two jobs along with other good people here who may even be working three," Miss Laurelie said to us strictly.

The three of us looked at one another with disappointment and thought that was it. Marlow looked to me with an apologetic face and appeared as if he wanted to say something but didn't know what. Neither did Robbie as one would expect from somebody I just met but he stilled looked sorry for me. I felt sorry for me as well as I was beginning to like this place and thought how nice it was.

"Now, if that's all. I am going to set my things down and get started on dinner. I want the three of you to help around today as it is Sunday. Marlow now that you're here I want you to go with Robbie and get them meats I got in the refrigerator and bring them to the kitchen. Veronica go fetch Vivian, she's in her room in the living quarters in the very back of the house behind the courtyard in the third room on the left. Then I want you both to help make some dinner, we got a big meal to make for everyone and we are losing daylight so get to it," she said as she began to make her way out the doorway to the left.

The three of us all looked at each other in confusion before I called out to the woman and she stopped and looked back at me.

I said, "Wait! I thought…you weren't going to let me stay here. You said…"

"Girl, don't go telling me what I said. I know the words that came out my mouth well since I just spoke them! And I ain't tell you that you can't stay here. I only told you three that it's a hard life being in this shelter. It ain't a five star hotel but thank God it's at least a home for people. And didn't Marlow tell you? This is a home that accepts anyone that needs it. I could never deny someone in need, but don't expect to live an easy life ya hear? We all got work to do and work that needs doing. People can't have an easy life around here, but at least they can have one. Now stop standing around here looking a fool. Get!" She told us as the three of us looked at each other with smiles and thanked her together at the same time. She gave us a nod with a small smile before she entered the other room.

An air of relief filled the room and set our hearts at ease. I guess I'm not just staying here for the night anymore. I didn't think I would actually be able to get in like that with Miss Laurelie seeming to be an obstacle for a moment there. Though I wasn't so worried about it, I felt there was a deep kindness in her that reached out and grabbed me. I wasn't worried but I was definitely scared I admit. Though Marlow on the other hand…

"Oh phew! For a moment there I thought Veronica was going to have to leave and I would have to wait longer for a meal to be cooked," Marlow said, while wiping his forehead with relief.

"THAT was your biggest concern? My alleged cooking skills you assume I have?" I said while glaring at him intensely. I mean intensely. I wanted to be just like Miss Laurelie and make him feel my glare! Feel it Marlow! Feel it!

"You're going to strain yourself if you keep making silly faces like that," Robbie said to me which Marlow agreed to. Once again, another blow to my moral. Is it impossible for me to seem tough at all? I really did need those fitness classes after all.

Marlow then stretched his arms out wide as he said he was tired from going around town today. Robbie had asked him if he was going to stay for a few days but Marlow simply replied he doesn't know yet. He's working on a new "case" he noted as he gave me a look. I looked around for a second as I realized that I am his new "case" as he referred to me. So what I'm some sort of weird case? A case of what? A case of nut job? Lonely Internet Obsessed Girl? I hope that's not a serious case otherwise I would be in quite the predicament. Regardless it would seem Marlow's next objective on his mental to do list seem to involve me. But I wondered why he is so keen on helping me in the first place? How far does he plan to help me before he moves on with his life? I pondered it as I felt I would like it if he stayed around for a while and I did not even realize there was a smile on my face.

Marlow and Robbie then told me they would see me in a bit as the both of them went to go get the food as requested by Miss Laurelie which left me on my first job ever! I had to go find that girl who I already wanted to speak to anyway. If work is this easy then I must be overworking myself already I though. But I was alone and I have no idea exactly where to go. Plus…none of them told me where to put my stuff…

So I decided to follow the directions Miss Laurelie did give me and head to the back of the house and beyond the courtyard. I went out the right hallway opposite the one the others took and past more people with rooms on each side. Some one of them said hello to me in a friendly manner while the others didn't pay me much mind. I realized this shelter is an awfully big place that is about as big as my school or perhaps even larger in scale. Looking around I see pieces reminiscent of the church this place used to be. The church seemed to be of Christian faith from the sight of its murals and statues. I also noticed benches that had been moved to provide for the people that had testaments engraved on the planks of benches. I wasn't sure what to think of them since I never went to a church before or really followed any religion per say. I always thought I was a Christian since I believed in God but I never read the bible or anything. So I don't really know what exactly my beliefs are on that matter. I suppose a lot of the people here must be religious or believe in something. Believing in a high power must give them some hope that their prayers could help them somehow. It was a nice thought to have I believed.

Walking around aimlessly I got a mental layout of what I assumed the shelter was like. In the middle was a huge courtyard one could see from windows and glass doors all around the shelter which formed a square layout. Surrounding the courtyard was the outside perimeter of the shelter. As I walked around in a square to the back of the shelter where what I assumed were the main living quarters. I walked past a corner where some stairs were that led up to the second floor and walked past them to be in a long hallway with multiple doors on the left and right side. There were some people here but very little outside of their rooms. I wasn't sure which room was Vivian's but it didn't seem to matter as I saw her come out of a room down the hall from me.

When I saw her I called out her name despite not being formally introduced to the other yet. I saw her turn her head and look back at me with an uncaring and seemingly emotionless look. She stood there and looked at me for a moment without saying anything. I then grew quickly nervous as her lack of response made me shudder a bit. What was I supposed to say now I wondered? And what was with this cold attitude she was giving me? I didn't expect her to be this cold and distant.

I called out again to test my luck, "Vivian! Vivian! That's you right? I was told to come looking for you!"

She continued to look at me coldly for a moment before she sighed and turned her back to me. She then moved on as she walked down the hallway again and completely ignored my call. What the heck was that? I began getting just a little bit mad from her attitude. What did I do to her? I wanted to be friends! But saying that made me remember I didn't have any friends, and this is the only girl here who is around my age. Robbie was perhaps a bit younger than I was but he was not…a girl I think. I thought she might have thought the same way and wanted a friend who is close in age to her. Heck I'm even a girl and that alone should be a bonus to her! I'm cute and spunk! I have a lot of great qualities of a friend! I have been working on myself in preparation for the day I would need to make friends if it ever came and now that's all gone out the window! I was taught on how to properly communicate by staff at my house so I am not nervous with speaking with people completely. But I suppose I still have a lot to learn

So I walked quickly to catch up with her and called out to her in her ear. Vivian turned around abruptly and glared at me with an angry expression.

"What the Hell do you want you brat?" she said loudly in my face. Those words resounded in my head a billion times like bells were going off. The bells rang so loudly as words like that reminded me of my own parents. For some reason those words forced words of my own out of me to speak back to her.

"I just wanted to talk to you! What's your problem and why are you ignoring me?" I asked her. I knew I must have looked slightly agitated and I felt a strong sensation on the back of my hand that made me trust my hand could fit perfectly on this girl's face.

"I don't give a damn if you wanted to speak to me. Here's a hint princess. Not everyone will want to speak to you and when they ignore you. That means: They. Don't. Want. To. Talk. To. You. Did you get all that? Or would you want me to write it down?" Vivian said to me in a babying tone like I was senile.

This…female dog! How dare she speak to me in such a tone of voice and use such foul language and rhetoric! Blast her wicked tongue! I would wash it out with a bar of soap with a good beating if I had the confidence in myself to do so! I was even angrier at the fact my thoughts began to sound like my father. But I tried to keep my cool as I took a deep breath and tried to remember what I came here for.

"Look Vivian. Miss Laurelie wanted me to come get you. Now I don't care if you do so or not but I just wanted to pass that message on to you!" I told her in a more calm voice. She folded her arms and had the nerve to roll her eyes to me.

She sighed, "Fine. Where is she?" she asked with that offset attitude of hers.

"In the kitchen," I plainly replied, "She wants you to help cook today I believe."

"All right. Thanks I guess…for letting me know," she said as she walked past me while bumping into my shoulders. I turned around angrily and was going to give her a piece of my mind until she said this.

"I guess even the most preppy of dogs are good at playing fetch," she said without even looking at me as she walked with her hands in her jacket's pocket and walked off down the hallway before went around the corner at the end of the hall of the shelter to where I assume the kitchen was.

Okay, I'll say it! She annoys me! She irks me! She's…she's…ugh! How could anyone be so harsh like her? And the nerve, calling me a preppy dog! And princess! However, hearing her say that makes me worry a bit. Can she tell just by looking at me that I am from an upper class? I guess I'm dressed more nicely than a lot of the people here with my fine coats and attire but I didn't think I stand out so much. So what makes her call me that? Now she has y insecurities about my appearance building up and it took me a second to calm myself down. Well who cares, I did my job. But I still didn't know where I should put my things at. I was getting tired of carrying them around with me. Thankfully I saw Robbie come by who was apparently looking for me by his calls of my name. When he saw me he quickly, and gracefully I might add, walked up to me with a smile.

"Oh, Veronica right? I'm glad I found you as soon as I did. It would seem we were all too careless in allowing you to walk around this place alone when you have no idea where you're going. But it seems you found your way just fine in the end," Robbie said to me with a smile.

YES! Yes! Thank the Heavens there are actual human beings with souls in this world! People like Robbie and Marlow are saints! While people like Vivian should've been born during the witch hunts!

Happily I said, "Yeah. I got a great knack for direction after all!"

"Really? Marlow said you're the kind of girl who would get lost in her own home," Robbie said with a laugh.

I stopped and looked at him hard for a moment with no expression on my face. There was just silence in the hallway as I looked at him. I had lost all my joy. All my reason to carry on. Those words alone broke me. Robbie began waving his hand in my face to see if I was still there. I wasn't.

It took me a moment to come to from that and respond to Robbie. "Sorry…I got lost in my thoughts," I said with a big fake smile that must have scared Robbie slightly.

"O-okay…well umm let's see. I guess we should get you a room to stay in then. And perhaps a place that's easy to find…" Robbie suggested. He then mentioned that Miss Laurelie had rooming codes that varied from person to person. But it was pretty standard rules that seemed understandable and fair such as girls with girls and boys with boys. A boy may room with a girl if they're family or married of course. There were other rules but Robbie only mentioned that one to me for now. He looked around for a bit until he saw the door that Vivian came out of earlier.

"I guess this is the only room you can take. It's Vivian's you know…did you find her all ready?" Robbie asked me.

"Unfortunately…" I murmured back to him. He sighed while looking down. He seemed like talking about Vivian brought him down.

"Yeah, I'm sorry about Vivian. She can be kind of cold to people," Robbie said.

"I got that. However, does she have to act in such a way to everybody?" I asked Robbie who shrugged.

"No, I suppose she doesn't. But we all got our histories don't we? A reason that we are that we are? Beneath that cold exterior of hers, I'm sure there is a warm hearted girl somewhere. She's been here for about three years, and I've been here for two. But I still haven't been able to get along with her despite being the only other stay in worker besides Marlow. But he's always here and there with his work for others. So it's really just us two, that is until you arrived," Robbie told me as he walked me to Vivian's door. I thought about his words for a moment and found them to be true. I have my own dark reasons for being here so maybe she does too. Our pasts have the strongest effects on our presents after all.

Robbie then took the suitcases from my hands like a gentleman (Which I was surprised he could do though he did struggle a bit with their weight) and put them in her room before walking out and closing the door. I didn't even get to have a peek in her room which I was kind of curious about. I wanted to see if there was any evidence of a crime or something I could use to frame her.

Robbie then told me that he would take me to the kitchen. He escorted me all the way past the living quarters, another flight of stairs by the corner, and some other rooms I knew what they were for. Walking down the hallway I discovered the big doors that were reminiscent of ones you see in a cafeteria of a school like the ones form my private school. Robbie pushed them open for me of course and led me inside where I was greeted by the smell of something very good that was being cooked! I also had a strong feeling of nostalgia from the kitchen in my own home which very much resembled this one! There were many women dressed with aprons covering their bodies with their arms elbow deep in their dishes and were up to their noses with work to do. Men helped the women too just as equally and handled jobs for the other women when there were things they could not do. It was a very clean kitchen and was practically a spotless serene white kitchen. Cabinets were on the walls and below the skinks and counters. There were counters in rows with chefs working at different parts of it and working on different foods such as meats and vegetables while frying, grilling, and of course washing the dishes.

It was like looking at a professional kitchen you would see in a fine restaurant. And at the center of it all was Miss Laurelie who was leading them in getting their work done. She was practically the female chef Ramsey of the kitchen as she gave orders to the others. She didn't let down her voice unless she herself became too engrossed in what she was cooking to give a command. But as soon as she thought of something else to do she was back to yelling at the others. But it was nowhere near an angry or extremely intense environment though there was some obvious tension from having to cook for I would assume around the hundreds of people living here. She was impressive as always and still living up to that powerful image I had of her. But what surprised me the most was the girl who was exceling far beyond the other homeless men and women with some knowledge in cooking.

It was Vivian of all people who was cooking with such skill and finesse that she could easily be called a prodigy. I saw her working a station all on her own, cooking up a dish of various meats that Robbie said he and Marlow brought in. She was wearing white clothes like a chef unlike all the other people who wore their normal attire with aprons. She was doing so well by herself that the others were praising her. Someone mentioned that she always manages to outdo them when it comes to the kitchen.

As much as I hate, and I mean hate to admit it. She could really cook with which was far more than I could say for myself. I hope I don't actually have to cook something.

"Hey! New girl, Veronica!" I heard Miss Laurelie call out to me. She beckoned me with a pull of her finger and as if she caught me on a rope and she pulled me towards her. Robbie had gone to go prepare the seats for the family dinner which Marlow was apparently also doing in a different room.

"Yes ma'am!" I said with a salute. Miss Laurelie just gave me a confused look with her arms folded.

"Girl, what you saluting for? Do I look like I'm in the military to you?" she asked me.

"No ma'am!" I said quickly with hand still saluting until I realized to take it down. Miss Laurelie looked at me for a moment before saying Marlow brought in a weird one whom I was wondering who she meant by that. She then looked around the kitchen for what I assumed was for something for me to do. And oh how I hoped she would tell me that there was nothing here for me or I could maybe just wash dishes!

But of course, lady luck that wench has it out for me. Miss Laurelie told me to go assist Vivian in any way she needs. I literally wanted to ball my eyes out, get on my knees, and beg her to make me do anything but that! But there was no way I was going to do that in front of this Amazonian warrior. So I simply complied with my new boss and walked sluggishly towards Vivian. I didn't notice Miss Laurelie giving me a look while being in deep thought. She was wondering what a girl like me was doing in a place like this perhaps? Or maybe she saw something about me that interested her. Either way, I'm surprised how quickly she put me to work and how quickly she paired me up with this she-devil.

Of course when I went over there she glared at me for a moment and I assumed she did hear Miss Laurelie tell me to assist her. But she paid me no mind to me except to tell me stay out of her way. I've only been here for not even two hours and I already made an enemy. I didn't feel like putting up with her so I stayed out of her way and let her do as she pleases. I simply set myself up against the counter and watched as all these hardworking people cooked together. I wondered if the chefs in my house were like this too. I never spoke with any of them or even knew their names. Maybe if I made the effort to get to know the staff…they might have backed me up. But I isolated myself in my room everyday so how could they support me? Why would they? And it's not like I ever helped them do anything. I guess that was simply karma, or a consequence of my own cowardice. I wonder how they were all doing back at my house. The staff, Mr. Niles, and…even my parents. Did they miss me? Did they even want me back? I doubt they even had a search party looking for me now. That is simply a pocket dream for me it seems.

Sigh, my mind keeps returning to my home no matter how hard I try to forget it. It's impossible for me to move on it seems, and I somehow expect myself to move on from it the day it happened to me. I was kicked out, disowned, and abandoned but was lucky enough to be saved by Marlow. Marlow, what a kind guy he is. A smiled touched the edges of my cheek as I thought about Marlow and wondered if I will get the chance to speak with him again. He's the first guy I met to seem very decent unlike those from my school and my own father. Ah somehow if I think about him my mind isn't worried about my troubles anymore. Perhaps he has become a symbol in my mind for peace from the turmoil that I am holding within me. I know it's there, a storm of trauma and disarray that is being held back by thin nets. Its raging winds are escape through the net's poor defense and filling me up slowly. I wonder when I will finally break and crumble like a house of cards, an illusion.

After helping in the kitchen and finishing up the amazing amount of food for everyone in the shelter. Miss Laurelie called for the cooks to begin delivering the meals to the people in the shelter starting from elderly to youngest which meant children and teenagers and then to the adults. One by one they walked out with huge pots and pans which I realized was stew. They had made large amounts of stew to feed the people and that's when I realized this is more of a soup kitchen than anything else. I asked myself how their finances were for the shelter. Thinking back to it Robbie had those papers so maybe I should ask him about it since I'm curious how this place runs exactly. It couldn't be Miss Laurelie working alone to pay the bills for this place that would be absurd to even think. She did say other homeless work jobs so perhaps they help fund the shelter. Maybe this is a government funded shelter. That would make more sense…and do I always drift off to think about random things?

Without even realizing it I noticed Vivian wash off her hands and take off her chef's outfit. She hung it on a rack which had the aprons the other kitchen staff were using before. It was odd to me that she was the only one who actually looked like the chef in the kitchen but I wasn't going to ask her why.

We were the only two left in the kitchen after everyone left to deliver the pots of stew to those in the shelter. But when she was cooking she seemed like a natural at what she was doing. Like she was in an element all on her own. I noticed so carefully from having nothing to do but watch her. She must have really enjoyed cooking otherwise she would not look so calm. I saw then saw Vivian stretch her arms out and give me a quick glance. I didn't know how to react besides looking at her from the short distance between us. There seemed to be a thick tension between us that felt like we were from two different worlds now. What happened to the feeling of that strange bond we had before? I thought now that it was all just in my head. Perhaps this is the reality between us and we're just too different to be friends. Thankfully Marlow walked in and broke the tension.

We both looked at the cheery Marlow who came in and said hello to me. He waved and said, "Hey Veronica! Been a while! So how was your first day of work? If you could really call it I guess."

Honestly? Quite easy since I didn't do much but I didn't want Marlow to think I'm lazy or anything. But before I could even speak Vivian opened her fiery mouth.

"Don't bother asking her what she did. All she did was play the good dog and fetch me to do all the work," Vivian said, looking away from me.

"Hey! I was going to help you out but you told me to stay out of your way!" I yelled at her.

"Oh? Is that so? You are a really well trained doggy aren't you? Can you roll over on your back and beg someone will rub your wittle tummy?" she said, babying me again while rubbing her own belly to act out the action. Oh it was so on! But I guess Marlow saw my intentions in my eyes and got in front of me quickly. He put his arm to block me but I didn't give up! I was clawing my way to get past him but he stopped me easily with his strength and stature.

"Calm down Veronica! You too Vivian! You know better than to behave like this to newcomers!" Marlow told her. Vivian simply whisked her hair and didn't even bat an eyelash to Marlow.

"I am quite calm Marlow. It's that mutt over there that needs to be kept on a leash. How easy is it to rile her up with a few words? If she's so thin skinned to let this much get to her then she won't last long in this world. She will end up on the road somewhere by the gutters dying a poor dog's death. A dog without a master, a home, or anyone to care for her," Vivian told me while standing against a pillar in the room. I had nothing to say despite the fury I had in me from her continuously referring to me as a dog. But I couldn't say anything back because I knew I couldn't win a verbal or physical fight with her. I simply did not have it in me to fight back, I never fought back with anyone before.

However, Marlow stood up for me and told her to watch her mouth. "Stop calling Veronica some muttor dogVivian. If you really want to put things in that perspective then all of us are measly animals that have all been taken in to this shelter. But we were lucky enough to be born human, to be able to be shown compassion by another and taken care of! So we don't just die a meaningless death. I don't know how you get off saying stuff like that to her when you two are no more different than anyone else here and I don't know what your deal is with her or anyone else but you're better than this. I know you are," Marlow said to her.

"Oh? You know I am? Just because you're Miss Laurelie's favorite doesn't mean you are anything special Marlow. You can't speak about me as if you know me. You don't understand me even if you are everyone's favorite pet. You can cuddle up to me as much as you want but your little eyes won't woe me into being close to you. So don't ever speak like you know me again, because no matter how much you try. You can't understand anyone until you lived their lives," Vivian said as she pointed to Marlow. At that moment Robbie came in the kitchen. He didn't understand what was going on between us but he must have figured it out from seeing us. He then quickly told us to meet in Miss Laurelie's room to eat dinner with her. Apparently the stay in workers eats with her personally in her room as part of the family dinner. It was a tradition Miss Laurelie had set for the stay in workers Marlow mentioned to me.

Vivian didn't say anything but instead walked around Robbie and out the door to be the first to leave. Marlow finally let his arm down that guarded me and then faced me.

"I'm sorry about her Veronica…she's harder to deal with than the rest. She's always been like that to people. I tried before to befriend her but…" Marlow trailed off into his thoughts and I saw how disappointed he was. Robbie then walked up to us and told us to come on. I noticed Robbie especially was disappointed by the turn of events.

"No point in keeping Miss Laurelie waiting on a Sunday," Robbie told us. We all agreed and followed him out the kitchen into the hallway. I saw many people sitting down eating from plain white bowls with regular forks and spoons and some were plastic. The food smelled and looked really good which brought up my monstrous hunger. I was so embarrassed when it kept growling on the way there. Marlow and Robbie just laughed at me and oh how I wished food wasn't such a necessity. I fear I will give up my feminine charms and manners to feast on whatever I can…but then again I know I can't now that I'm homeless. Not like you can simply ask for seconds if you want it. You get what you get, when you can get it, and that's it. So I am just going to have to put up with it I suppose. This is the life of the homeless…

We didn't walk too far away from the kitchen until we were in front of a mahogany door with floral patterns on it. Marlow opened the door for us and we walked into a room that smelled of cinnamon. I saw Vivian and Miss Laurelie sitting at a long wooden table with seats for all of us. I did not even bother to examine my surroundings because of the sight I saw on the table. The table had bowls of stew on it at each seat except one and oddly it had a full out meal! A plate with corn, pork chops, red beans, mash potatoes, and a cup of a red juice of Kool-Aid. I wondered whose seat that was for as I approached the table.

"Hello there Veronica, Marlow, Robbie. Thanks for another day here, now join us so we can say grace before eating. I got to eat and head out again to return to work," Miss Laurelie said to us. I nodded and walked towards the table being careful to avoid Vivian who was already sitting in her own chair and the seat with the meal. But strangely enough I saw Marlow and Robbie take their seats away from the spot I saw with the good looking meal. Robbie was even brave enough to take a sit next to Vivian! I was curious now whose seat that was set out for at the end of the table opposite from Miss Laurelie and what kind of special person it was going to be to sit there. Maybe it was for the person who helps to keep this place standing and gets special treatment because of it.

Well of course I was going to take the seat next to Marlow and away from Vivian. I rather not get stabbed with a fork or something from breathing the air in her space. I'm thankful Robbie being the nice he is took that seat next to her and I half expected Vivian to say something to him but she was oddly silent with Robbie and didn't do anything to him. Is Robbie such a gentle little lamb that not even the big bad wolf herself will attack it? Robbie has a gift for sure. However, when I was going to take a seat next to Marlow and join them Miss Laurelie stopped me.

"Veronica, don't you know how things work here? Ain't nobody inform her of anything here?" she asked while looking around the table. Marlow instantly turned his head and began whistling innocently. I guess he was supposed to tell me whatever it is I am supposed to know which worried me deeply.

Miss Laurelie then put on a slightly stern look and pointed to the chair at the end of the table. "That is your seat dear, newcomers enjoy a good meal their first day at this shelter. It's a tradition I set for anyone that walks through those doors and calls this place their home for as long as it needs to be. Now sit down and let us hold hands so we pray," Miss Laurelie said to us. I was surprised when I saw everyone hold hands together and closed their eyes. Marlow and Robbie's hands were stretched out to my seat and I was hesitant in sitting down. A good meal? Prayers? This is all so strange and…somewhat unsettling. Why…are we doing this? What…is this?

"I have never…done this before so I'm not sure if this is okay for me or not," I said to them. They all did not seem to mind me saying that. Miss Laurelie looked at me and it almost appeared like she laughed to herself.

"Child, it is perfectly fine if you never prayed before. God accepts all his children and you don't need any experience to be make a prayer to him. All you have to do is join hands and I will say the prayer. I am sorry to force this on you so I understand if you don't want to. I haven't known you long enough child, is this not a part of your beliefs?" Miss Laurelie asked me.

"Ah, well, I am not entirely sure. But it's fine! I'll join in," I said to her.

I didn't want to offend them so I joined them at the table. Taking a seat in this chair that felt like it was better fit for a queen than I. I then slowly reached out my hands and grabbed Marlow and Robbie's hands. This was a strange feeling to hold hands with another; I wondered what sort of tradition is this? She said it was a prayer so I assume it's something people do together at dinners. Though it's religious based? This is all so strange to me yet it didn't feel bad. It felt comforting, and Marlow's hand was warm and a bit rough. But Robbie's was soft and so gentle that I was afraid I was going to break it. Nonetheless to hold another's hand beside my own was a new feeling. I never held someone else's hand before and it felt so nice. It was like I was connecting with people physically for the first time. Why don't people hold hands all the time? Miss Laurelie checked to see if everyone was holding hands and was about to begin the prayer when Marlow stopped her to ask a question.

"We're not going to wait for Michael?" Marlow asked and something strange happened when he asked that question. I swear I saw Miss Laurelie's eye twitch when she heard that name. Even stranger was her reply!

"Nope. Moving on," she said very quickly.

"Miss Laurelie, must you treat Mr. Michael like that? He isn't so bad. Why not wait a bit?" Robbie asked gently but Miss Laurelie looked at him like ready to chew his head off!

"We are not waiting for that man! I want to finish my meal before he shows up and ruins the food!" Miss Laurelie said but it seems luck doesn't have it out for just me anymore. There was a knock that lasted half a second at the door before a tall man opened the door and came through. He was a Hispanic man who looked like a fine gentleman. He wore a black fedora with white pin stripes on it with a matching black shirt, black dress pants, and black dress shoes. I will say first and foremost he was the most finely dressed person I have ever seen. His tanned skin, brown eyes, and perfect smile were all charming…yet…for some reason…I felt a chill in the back of my neck. I felt it strongly as if my body feared this man! This was a fear that my female body was sensing and apparently the other females in the room was as well. I looked around and saw to my horror that even Vivian and Laurelie feared him too. Miss Laurelie had a sickened look on her face with her upper lip twitching and shaking her head in pure disgust. Vivian looked shockingly somewhat scared and pulled away in her seat. Heck, even Robbie was shaking in his chair...wait.

"What the Heck Robbie? Why are you shaking too?" I whispered and asked him.

"Well because Mr. Michael is kind of scary…I always sort of naturally kept a safe distance. You feel it too right Veronica? I'm the only guy who reacts this way with Mr. Michael," he whispered back to me. Oh Robbie, you really shouldn't be feeling that way at all. But when I looked back to this man who was named Michael I truly felt like the girl in me tell me to watch myself around this man. And I guess in Robbie and the others as well…except Marlow who felt nothing being the only true man here besides Mr. Michael.

Mr. Michael looked around with a smile and took his fedora off to reveal his combed, short brown hair. "Why hello there friends, and what a wonderful day this is! I'm glad I'm not late for dinner!" he said with his arms out wide as he then took a seat next to Marlow. He then reached out to shake Marlow's hand who didn't hesitate to shake his.

"Hello Mr. Michael. Out late working again?" Marlow asked him.

"Oh you know how it is Marlow. I'm out there working, that's for sure, but it's the girls that are workingme Marlow!" he said with a laugh. I understood right away what kind of a guy he was. He was a perverted man that's for sure. Perhaps that's why Miss Laurelie felt so disgusted by him by the look on her face.

Thankfully Marlow has this strange naivety to him and simply slapped Michael on the back and said, "An honest pay for an honest day of work right sir?"

Marlow! He clearly made a joke with explicit sexual innuendo! It was so obscene that I felt myself wanting to get away at once. I then saw Micheal gaze out to the table and greeted Vivian and Robbie before he saw me. He was then taken back a bit when he noticed I was here, a stranger.

"Oh hello there madam, where are my manners? I didn't expect to see a newcomer to the shelter! My name is Michael, Michael Mendez. But everyone around here called me Mr. Michael and you may do the same," he said as he reached his hand out to me.

I honestly thought I would get pregnant instantly if I shook this man's hand. I wasn't willing to take the risk but I was just being rude right? So I was going to reach out and shake his hand but Miss Laurelie made a comment first.

"Don't touch his hand Veronica, you don't know where he's been," she said coldly as she glared him from across the table. I felt close his hand and pull it back to him before he looked at Miss Laurelie with a growing smile.

"Oh…hi Laury. I almost forgot to say hello to you. How are you my gorgeous little star?" he asked in a slightly arrogant tone.

"Good until you asked me," she said with a quick clack of her tongue.

"Awhhh, Laury had a bad day? Maybe you want me to take care of that for you?" Michael said with a wink to Miss Laurelie who looked like she was about to jump on the table and kick the right side of his face with her left foot!

"You about to have a bad day when you leave here without dinner in a damn body bag!" Miss Laurelie shouted.

"Well I guess I could settle for some desert instead then? What do you say Laury?" Michael said as he blew her kiss. This made Miss Laurelie even madder which was honestly kind of cute to see. I didn't even think she could get like this or show such emotions! She almost reminded me of a teenage girl…like…like myself!

"Oh here they go again," Robbie said with a low nervous smile.

"This is a reoccurring thing?" I asked.

"Unfortunately," Vivian replied.

"Happens just about every day these two see each other," Marlow added in. We just watched as the two went back and forth with the other in a really childish argument over nothing. I was surprised to see these two adults act like such children. I then saw everyone else skipped grace and just began eating their dinner. I guess I might as well join them since they have the food made for me. I didn't think I deserved it, but then I would be disrespecting them if I didn't eat. Plus I noticed these were the meats Vivian had cooked. I wondered if she knew it was for me. Maybe if she did then she would have spat in it or something. But I honestly would take even that since I was so hungry and when I took that first bite of pork chop. I was in Heaven and everybody saw that I was by that happy look on my face. Even my happy expression seemed to stop Miss Laurelie and Michael from bickering. They apparently held a cease fire and just went back to their food without saying anything to the other.

We all ate peacefully and I conversed with Marlow and Robbie some including Miss Laurelie. Vivian stayed quiet and Michael wasn't there for long. He ate his dinner faster than anyone else and was gone in a flash. I felt kind of relieved but at the same time I wondered what kind of person he was that he had to be in such a hurry. Was he also a homeless person? Someone dressed like and acts like that? I was also curious of his relationship to Miss Laurelie. Maybe they were lovers in the past? I mean that might explain why he has a seat at the table in Miss Laurelie's room. He was an interesting person and today I got to meet some interesting people. Miss Laurelie, Robbie, Mr. Michael and even someone I didn't want to meet like Vivian. But I suppose I could get used to her if I'm staying here.

Which reminded me, we were also roommates now since Vivian is the only girl whose room I could be in. Now that was a drag, she barely even gave me living space! I got a corner of the room to set my things down! Ugh, I don't know if I can deal with her! But I should count myself lucky to even have a room. Though we did have to share a double decker bed as well. I slipped into some pajamas the same time she did and I was kind of embarrassed we actually have to change in the same room together. Before this we had to share the bathroom together as well when we bathe but that's a different story. When I got into bed I thought back to how this day went. It started off so terrible and now…? I have no idea. This is a strange new world and I'm kind of scared of it. I don't know what to expect or what's going to happen next. To be honest, the only goal I had in mind now was to get to know Marlow. I wondered why that was. Why am I so interested in him? I really hope this isn't just some puppy feelings I'm going through. I just had to get to know him better…I just had to. There was something about him that made me want to feel closer to him.

Though that night I didn't know Marlow had left and gone out when we were all sleep. He left without even saying goodbye to me or anyone else. He was here and gone…just like that.


© 2014 RamenNoodlesX


Author's Note

RamenNoodlesX
Ignore grammar please!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

83 Views
Added on July 20, 2014
Last Updated on July 20, 2014


Author

RamenNoodlesX
RamenNoodlesX

About
Hi! The name is RamenNoodles, and I'm a young male writer hoping to make a living out of my stories. My dream is to create stories for video games above all! I always enjoyed playing games and the sto.. more..

Writing