Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Kikai

c h a p t e r .1
I don't know how much more stressful this can get. School hasn't even started yet, and I've already got homework assignments. I guess that's what you get when your mom is friends with the school's secretary; getting assignments early, does that count as VIP treatment? I'm pretty sure favoritism isn't allowed in public schools...
6:30pm and I'm working on algebra packets. I could be at the mall, playing the claw machine game with Johnny and Mikayla, or practicing my violin (I haven't picked that thing up in months ever since my parents bought that grand piano), but nope... I'm inside finishing up homework I could be getting weeks from now.

Finally after 2 hours, I've finished all the homework my mom got for me, and I really hope it's the last. I have one week left before school starts, and I just want to enjoy the rest of my summer. 
I slip the packets into my binder then put it under my bed. Then I head over to the stereo on my work desk and switch it to my favorite hip hop music station, making sure to keep the volume on low so I don't disturb my parents.
"Man," I say with a sigh and plop onto my bed, "I know my parents just want me to succeed, but I haven't failed them yet. What's with all this work? It's not like I'm going to change..." But then I remembered, I was.
Yes, I realized at the end of 8th grade year, I needed to change. I wanted to change, and it was all thanks to Raina, the girl whom I used to call my best friend. 
I never really stood up to anyone before, but Raina was just making me so mad. Controlling everything I said and did, and other people too, I'm pretty sure her own boyfriend was scared of her. So finally I talked back to her. I had always been a follower, but I felt like my voice had to be heard, but instead I just got hurt. Slapped and pushed to the floor. And she still won.
After that, I knew I had to become a stronger person. Raina turned the rest of my friends against me, except for a few: Mikayla, Johnny, and Michael. They had become my true friends, and I had only met them a year ago. Well, except Johnny, we had been friends since 5th grade. And I guess the truth is, I talk more around my close friends, but only my close friends. When it comes to a crowd or new people or, my parents even, I back into a shell, and lock away my voice. But I wish I did have the courage to speak out, because I know I have important things to say. That's why I'm glad I have people to support me though, and I'm not talking about my parents..
I can't be racist if I say this, but the stereotype is "Asians have strict parents"... In my case, it's true. They're the typical "Get-good-grades-don't-worry-about-relationships-just-focus-on-school-or-you're-going-to-get-a-2-hour-lecture" Asian parents, and even though I love them very much, they do get on my nerves. If I had the guts, I would have stood up to them a long time ago. I mean, they've raised me in a respectful, Chinese household for 15 years, I'm not a bad person! Yet they feel like I'm still not ready to face the world, even though I'm starting to go into high school... People say they baby me, and up until now I always denied it... But it's true.
Riiiiiiiiing! The phone on my bed-side table starts ringing, ruining my internal monologue. 
I hop off my bed and reach for the phone. The caller ID reads "Reese Residence". Johnny! I get excited in my head, then answer the phone.
"Hello?"
"Hey hey!" Johnny's voice booms through the speaker.
"Man, John," I shake my head a little. "No need to scream into the phone, I hear you loud and clear!" I laugh.
"Just making sure!" I can tell he's got that goofy look on his face that he always has that makes me laugh. "Did I kill your eardrum Jaz? My bad.."
"No, it's okay. My eardrums are perfectly in tact!"
"Nice.."
After going on for 7 minutes about what's better, anime or cartoons, I finally got down to the real reason for his call..
"Hey Johnny, what's up with the call? I have a cell phone you know. And you're always texting me anyways."
"Oh, yeah I know it's just... I had a question. And it's kinda something I can't do over text." 
Oh my God. "You're not going to ask me out, are you?"
"What, no! You've turned me down 3 times already, I'm over it." He chuckled.
"Haha, right, I'm sorry..." I just had a feeling it might have been that, but what could it be? His tone seems so serious. "So what is it, what's up?"
"Right, well... Don't laugh at me when I ask this, okay?"
"I promise."
"Do you think I'll find someone in high school?"
"What, like a soul-mate?"
"No, nothing that serious, but you know... That special someone?"
Ah, I see... I have also wondered about that myself. I'm a sucker for chick-flicks and romantic comedy movies or books, so when it came to my first boyfriend, I always imagined finding that perfect someone in high school.
"Jaz, still there?" Johnny asked.
"Oh, yeah. Sorry, I just dazed a little."
"Yeah, so what do you think?"
"Of course you will, Johnny! You're funny, social, and easy to talk to, I don't see why a girl wouldn't want to go out with you!"
"Ha, really Jaz?"
"Of course." He probably couldn't tell, but I was smiling. I was sure of it!
"But I'm not even attractive..."
"Man, if someone here isn't a attractive, it's me Johnny." I hated my uneven skin tone. My overall complexion actually. And I look like a boy; that's what I get for taking traits from my dad's side of the family. It's so embarrassing. I'm a girl, I'm suppose to look like one!
"Jasmine Young!"
"What Mr. Reese?"
"Well, don't take it the wrong way, but believe me, you are attractive! You're really cute!"
I couldn't help but blush. "Well thanks. But no guy I like ever looks at me. So I don't think I'll be finding that 'special someone' this year."
"That's such a lie, you'll find him within the first 2 months, because everyone likes you!"
"Thanks again, but really Johnny, you will find that special girl. I know it." And I smiled again.
"Jasmine, you are the best."
"I try."
Suddenly a knock on my door captures my attention. "Jasmine!" Mom calls from the hallway outside. "Dinner is ready, come eat!"
I placed my had over the phone. "Yes, mom, I'm coming." I responded back, then went back to my conversation with Johnny.
"Sorry Johnnyboy, I have to go eat now."
"Nah, it's cool, you helped me enough. Thanks!"
"Sure, no problem!" 
We said our goodbyes then hung up the phone. 
I placed the phone back on my bedside table then got up to shut the stereo off, and it sucks because my favorite Bruno Mars song just came on. Oh well, there's always time for that later.
I still don't understand why Johnny has to worry. He's a social songbird and will blend in perfectly in high school, especially the one we're going to: Black River. It's one of the worse high schools in Seattle, which is one more reason to why I will never find my perfect match now. I don't go for the drug-dealing, gang-banging, delinquent boys. I go for the funny and artistic boys, the one's that know how to have a good time but can be serious too. And cute. And there's no one in the world like that, at least, not at Black River. I know one boy, though. Cute and funny and social. He matches all those traits, but, I know I can never have him.
Man this is depressing me! I can think about this all later, but in the mean-time, I've got chicken stir fry waiting for me downstairs! I hope it's not take-out because my mom makes the best homemade stir fry. But then again, if it is homemade, my younger brother Aaron might end up taking it all! Hm, maybe I do hope it's take-out after all..


© 2012 Kikai


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
Added on May 22, 2011
Last Updated on August 15, 2012


Author

Kikai
Kikai

Portland, OR



About
Hi colleagues! My name is Kikai, and I'm an aspiring novelist. I just love to write. Nothing fancy, just a good read for teens and young adults (I'm still one myself, after all). Please feel free to .. more..

Writing
The Doctor and I The Doctor and I

A Story by Kikai


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Kikai


Transparent Transparent

A Book by Kikai