Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Kikai

c h a p t e r .2
Why am I so tired? I think to myself as I walk back into the house after 2 hours of playing basketball. Usually I can go on for 4 hours, especially when I'm with my friends. Maybe it's only 'cause Nick and Mike showed up today; It's not really fun trying to play a serious game of basketball when there's only 3 people... And when Mike has to be so pro at it!
"Jesus, man!" Nick shouted as he followed me into my house. "Mike killed us today!"
"What are you talking about? He's always killin'!" I grab a Coke out of the fridge then walk over to the couch in the living room.
"Calvin, you okay?" Nick asked, taking a seat next to me on the couch. "It's like you didn't put your all into today's game."
I wasn't. "I dunno, man... I think, maybe it's 'cause I know summer is coming to an end." Is that really it? It seemed to make the most sense at the moment.
Nick scratched the back of his head. "Huh, yeah... I can see how thinking of going back to school can really take the fun out of a good game. Damn it, I got pre-calculus this year!" 
"Hah, good luck man. Ms. Jameson is a killer." Really, that woman should never had got a teaching career in math.
"Dude, Calvin, tutor me!"
"Say what?"
"Come on, you got a B in that class, you need to help a brotha out!"
I always found it funny when white people tried to speak ghetto. I couldn't help but laugh when he said that.
"Really, Calvin, come on!"
"Dude, I'm not good at tutoring. The only reason I passed that class is 'cause I worked my a*s off on the final. Throughout the year I was barely pulling through with C's! Maybe a few B's, even!"
Right then, Nick's eyes grew huge, as if he couldn't possibly be believing what I was saying. "That's a lie!"
"That's the truth," I took a sip of my Coke, then flipped the T.V. on to the Discovery Channel.
"But you're Asian!" He chuckled out.
"Wow, really? Gonna get racist now?" I grabbed a pillow that was behind me and shoved it in his face. I think he almost choked on it. 
"Man, if I was being racist then I'd ask Mike for help, he's Asian too."
"He's half Asian."
"Ah, whatever, I give up. I know you're not gonna tutor me."
He's got that right. "I love you man, like a brother, but I'm not the teacher type."
"You helped me tune my guitar in music class?"
"That was helping, not tutoring. Why don't you just sign up for tutoring instead?"
"Yeah, I guess that helps too..."
Yes, and that's how it's always been..
Most of my friends tell me I'm quite a different person. I mean, everyone is different, but I guess I'm just.. More different? I know the stereotype is that all the Asians are smart and have strict-a*s parents. I'm not really like that.
People always ask me for help on homework or what-not, but really I don't want to. I don't know everything in the world. I mean, I guess I consider myself somewhat smart, but I don't think I'm the smartest kid in school, and my school, Black River High School, is rated as one of the worst high schools in Washington. There's only 2 people in the entire of school of 200 (yes, we are a small school) that have perfect 4.0 GPAs, and I'm not one of those people. I've got a solid 3.6, which has been shifting up and down lately. Honestly, I'm just doing my best enough to get into a good college, most preferably a community college. So the whole "all Asians are smart" concept doesn't really apply to me.
As for the "strict Asian parents", I guess that applies somewhat. I mean, they're not overly protective, but they are pretty strict on my curfews and who I hang out with. They obviously care about me, and don't want me hanging out with the wrong crowd, and they really support me through school, but they don't really yell at me for having an A- in a class, or restrict me on relationships. All that matter to them is that I'm a good and successful kid with good and successful grades.
Where I live in Seattle, Washington, it's hard to find a boy like me (apparently). I'll admit I have been pretty shy growing up. The only reason I'm known by so much people now is through my friends. And since I'm growing up I have lifted my shell a little more and more over the years. I mean, I had some times in 6th and 7th grade when I actually opened up and talked on my own, but most of the time I kept my distance.. Especially from girls.
Yes, there was one girl I really liked in the 7th grade, but I just couldn't get the guts to ask her out. I kept saying to myself "I'll do it. I will. I can do this!", but really, I couldn't. I never talked to a girl before, never really had a girlfriend, hell, I couldn't even flirt correctly. I still remember Mike and my other friend Caleb giving me lessons on flirting. I just looked like a big idiot. 
I had crushed on her for 2 years, and when I finally decided to tell her how I felt, I blew it. And it totally broke me. And I guess the sight of seeing me so down all the time gt to her, because she ended up switching schools. She told me I should move on, and that was it. 
So I missed my chance on getting the girl of my dreams. She was so cute, with long, black, straight hair, it shined in the sun. She has this laugh that made my heart sink whenever I heard it and a smile that brightened my day... I missed it. I lost it. And I never found anyone after her ever again.
Well, whatever, the past was the past, and this is the now. Oh hell, what am I talking about? I'm going to be a junior in high school this year, I'm 16, and I've never even had a girlfriend before! And I'm still a little uncomfortable talking to other girls (besides my friends)! But that's probably just due to the fact that I haven't really found that one person I want to be with. And I don't think she even exists. At least, not in my world, not in my school. 
"Hey Calvin!" Nick's voice blasted out, interrupting my soliloquy.
"What man? Was I dazing out? I'm sorry, I was just thinking.."
"Ha, you've always done that huh?" He chuckled, then started walking towards the front door. "I'm gonna head out it's almost 8:00, my dad will kill me if I get home late again."
"Oh, alright dude, see you later!"
"Yeah, enjoy your last week of summer! Oh, and tell Mike I'm picking up my skateboard at his house tomorrow."
"Will do." I waved to him. He waved back, and headed out the door. 
Ah, 1 more week left, then back to school. I closed my eyes and laid my head back. Life's moving so fast.


© 2012 Kikai


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
Added on May 23, 2011
Last Updated on August 15, 2012


Author

Kikai
Kikai

Portland, OR



About
Hi colleagues! My name is Kikai, and I'm an aspiring novelist. I just love to write. Nothing fancy, just a good read for teens and young adults (I'm still one myself, after all). Please feel free to .. more..

Writing
The Doctor and I The Doctor and I

A Story by Kikai


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Kikai


Transparent Transparent

A Book by Kikai