A Tiger Adrift, a reading

A Tiger Adrift, a reading

A Poem by Pryde Foltz
"

Turn on your speakers the audio is in the author note.

"
A Tiger Adrift



A Tiger Adrift is published in Strays and available at the link below or through your local bookstores and libraries.


Strays is a collection of two extended narratives and more than forty love-themed poems, exploring the meaning of romantic love while we have it and attempting to find the healing after its loss. Found within these pages is the short story Gutter Dog, the novelette Ginni, and the poems False Skin, the Boy Who Wore Clothes, and the Black-Wit Reveller.

© 2014 Pryde Foltz


Author's Note

Pryde Foltz

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I really liked this. I think your use of typeface and point changes was integrated seamlessly and intensified the tension. This made me think of "The Life of Pi" and the helplessness the tiger sometimes suffered. I like the cadence of this; it seems to roll like the waves, billow up and down like the swells of the ocean. It does not appear there will be a happy ending for the kitten/tiger. Is that your intention? Or is this a metaphor? Like a fish out of water? Like anyone thrown into a completely alien environment and madly trying to survive? So the happy ending is not a duty of the poem, but the duty of he who struggles. Am I close?

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pryde Foltz

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Minichinz, as always your reviews are spot on. Really, I look forward to them.

read more
Pryde Foltz

10 Years Ago

Perhaps those icy shores will thaw.



Reviews

Oh I love this!... it shows her relentless pursuit for survival... no matter the odds, she will make it!!

Awesome write, Pryde!...very inspiring. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Robbie. Meow to you.
I'm reminded of the old adage "sink or swim" it applies even to the King of the Jungle. Sometimes we have to put on foot in front of the other and keep going. I like your metaphor of the lion/kitten. We may feel ferocious yet tender at the same time. It's that whole concept of being angry but never hurting a flea. Great words at use here could be used for a fantastic children story :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Kristen.
this is so well written!! enjoyed :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much, Leandro.
"so icy for you, and so all that's left to do is swim little kitten, swim"

"Meow until you can roar again, and swim little kitten, swim."

Loved this, Pryde :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Anand Sehgal

10 Years Ago

;-) code language creativity :D ha ha
Pryde Foltz

10 Years Ago

Afraid not, just some silly sentimentality.
ANTO

10 Years Ago

I actually thought that it was a reference to MGM - and the cat that is used instead of the lion som.. read more
Oh, I love this! The imagery is beautiful.

Also, cute voice in that video!

Posted 10 Years Ago


I really love cats so the line "swim like kitten, swim" I found it sooo cute! ^^

Posted 10 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

10 Years Ago

Cute, yes, and perhaps a little ironic, because this kitten is a tiger. Thanks for the review, Ellie.. read more
Ellie EM

10 Years Ago

Oh okay no prob! ^^
⊰ℛℛ⊱
"Swim little kitten, swim." There is quite a bit that is interesting here. First off, cats hate water, but the fact this kitten is swimming shows two things, the Mother is not there, and she is fighting for her life.

I could definitely see a small forlorn little kitten hanging onto a piece of driftwood and kicking with it's back legs down an unforgiving river. Very nicely worded and imagined, if a little sad and depressing, anyone would want to jump in and rescue her ... :)


Posted 10 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

10 Years Ago

Oh, DW if only. The problem: not everyone has it in them to rescue a tiger. Thanks you, for you lov.. read more
dw817

10 Years Ago

Tiger ... ? Oh, the title, I totally missed that. If it is a tiger versus a shark, I would feel badl.. read more
Pryde Foltz

10 Years Ago

:)..........
The moment when Pi is in the lifeboat and he rescues the Richard Parker is really compelling. I think you brought that feeling of that to us in another way with those first ten lines or so in this poem. I like your second to last line in this a lot. It really speaks of fining identity and a true voice in a very difficult situation. Thank you for sharing this one with me.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

10 Years Ago

Thanks Clockwork. Yes, the themes are very similar to Martel, but Richard Parker and Pi are one. My .. read more
This piece leaves my cat stuff in the shade, Pryde. The whole wonderful metaphor has an encompassing parallel both in life and, I suspect more pertinently for you, in creativity. You describe the struggles, threats, temporary havens, and the overall necessity of persistence. This, for me, is a major poem. P.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Pryde Foltz

10 Years Ago

Wow, Pete. Tell me what you really think ... over and over again. lol. I am humbled by your praise. .. read more
The style and form remind me of someone but I can't put my finger on who...Cummings maybe? Or Oscar Wilde even...it's an intense composition...the urgency in the kitten's spite really comes through in the pace of the poem and just jump off the screen...great piece.

Posted 10 Years Ago


kublakhan27

10 Years Ago

plight, not spite haha
Pryde Foltz

10 Years Ago

Honestly, I've never read much poetry before this. Really. Theatre and prose girl, here. Someone els.. read more
kublakhan27

10 Years Ago

I was eager to read this one in light of how prolific you are with other genres...I'm a Shakespeare .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1168 Views
44 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 20, 2013
Last Updated on November 17, 2014
Tags: tiger, kitten, pryde foltz

Author

Pryde Foltz
Pryde Foltz

Vancouver, Canada



About
My written work can be found on amazon.com https://goo.gl/o8sLUi Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/prydefoltzwriter/ twitter: @Pryde Foltz Facebook: pryde foltz Youtubehttps:/http://goo.gl/Eqx.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..





Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)