5. Poetic Love

5. Poetic Love

A Chapter by Avangeline Lightwood
"

Jace finds a poem Alec was writing about Magnus, so Jace decides to pay Magnus Bane an unfriendly visit.

"

   Alec sat at his desk the next morning, writing on a piece of paper with a feather quill. The words flowed onto the paper, they came from Alec's heart not his mind.


He was charismatic,


Magnetic,


Electric.


And everybody knew it.


When he would walk in every head would turn.


Everyone would want to talk to him

  Alec's heart raced as he wrote the words.

He was like this hybrid,


this mix


A man who wouldnt contain himself


I always got the sense that he came torn between ebing a good person


and...


Missing out on all of the things that life could offer a man as magnificent as him.


And in that way I understood him

  Alec's hand froze and was shaking the slightest bit as he tried to write the next line. But something was constricting him from writing the next three words. He pushed the tip of the quill onto the paper and forcefully wrote more.

That I loved him, yes, I LOVED him...

  The ink was thicker and messier than Alec had intended and it seeped through the paper onto the desk. Alec stared at the paper, at the words. Loved. He had never " loved " before. A loud knock at the door is what brought Alec back from his day dreams. He jumps out of his chair and messes the papers on his desk up, trying to cover the poem up. The door opens with a click and Jace walks in.

  " Jace!" Alec says startled, " What are you doing here?"

  " Well, Maryse said she wanted to see you. So I came to get you." Jace replies

  Alec nods and rushes towards the door. " Alright, thanks Jace."

  Jace just stands in Alec's doorway, watching him run down the hallway. He had noticed Alec was acting weird, and that's a big statement for someone like Alec. Jace turns around and walks towards Alec's desk, looking at the papers. Nothing special, just random drawings of Shadowhunter's and the Institute. But one stands out to Jace, he pulls it from the bottom of the pile and realizes it's a drawing of the demon in Brooklyn that required a large group of Shadowhunters to kill. The Institute had gotten word that the demon was somehow killed and that there were no traces of who it was. Jace puts the drawing down and see's something on the floor. He bends down and picks it up. It was the poem Alec has been writing. He glances around to make sure no one was there and begins to read it.

  " He was charismatic, magnetic, electric..." Jace's voice trails off, " I love him..."

  The paper quivers in Jace's hand and he tosses it onto the desk but picks it back up and shoves it into his pocket, storming out of the room. Heads turn as Jace walks by, they could tell he was angered, and no one gets in his way when he is. He leaves the Institute and hales a taxi to Brooklyn. When he gets there and stands in front of the round door. There's a sign that reads " Bane " in bold letters. Jace walks up the stairs and knocks loudly on the door.

  " WHO DARE'S DISTURB THE HIGH WARLOCK OF BROOKLYN!?" A voice shouts through a speaker

  Jace rolls his eyes. " Jace Wayland does."

  The door clicks and Magnus Bane appears in the door way.

  " And what do I owe the... Pleasure?" Magnus says coldly

  Jace glares and shoves the paper in front of Magnus' face. The Warlock doesn't flinch and takes the paper to read it. His eyes flicker as he reads the poem. His heart raced slightly when he read the last sentence of the poem. Once he finished reading he looked up at Jace who had his arms crossed, waiting very impatiently. They stared at each other for awhile before Magnus spoke first.

  " Did Alec write this?" Magnus asks, already knowing the answer

  " Well of course he did." Jace snaps, " But I want to know why he wrote it!" 

  Magnus shakes the paper a little, " Why didn't you just ask Alec yourself instead of coming all the way to Brooklyn?"

 Jace shakes his head. " Alec would just deny it."

  Magnus leans against the door, " Still, I don't know why you decided to ask me of all people."

  " I just want to know the truth. Did you do something to Alec? Like put a love spell on him or something?"

  Magnus' eyes widen a little, " I would never in a hundred years give someone false love. Let alone put a love charm on Alec Lightwood."

  Jace taps his foot, annoyed. " Magnus Bane, what does Alec feel for you? Or more importantly, what do you feel for him?"

  Magnus stands there silently for awhile, staring at the piece of paper. What did he feel for Alec Lightwood? They had almost kissed twice, he'd saved Alec's life. Every time he saw Alec his heart would pound and he thought of him all day long, wondering when he would see Alec again. Then it struck him, he was in love with Alexander Lightwood.

  " Well Bane? What do you feel for my parabatai?" Jace repeats

  " I..." Magnus looks up and looks Jace square in the eyes, " I'm in love with him."

  Jace shakes his head again, " That's what I thought. But save yourself and get over him. Alec isn't gay. He wouldn't go against the Clave."

  Magnus scoffs, " Then maybe you don't really know you're parabatai."

  Jace's eyes flicker with anger at Magnus and he turns around, walking down the stairs. He knew getting into fight with a Warlock wasn't the best idea. It would break the treaty if he killed Magnus or if Magnus killed him. The door shuts and Magnus returns to his living room. The words of the poem burned into his memory. Alec loved him... That is, if the poem was about him. After all, Alec had very well been in love with Jace before Magnus knew him. Now Magnus was worried, he wanted to see Alec as soon as possible, but with Jace now in the way, he knew he wouldn't be able to simply flash into the Institute anymore. Magnus sits on the pink couch and jiggles his leg in anticipation. Just then Chairman Meow jumps up beside Magnus and purrs, rubbing against his side. The Warlock smiles and picks the cat up and cuddles him, his worried momentarily forgotten.

  Back at the Institute, Jace finds Alec in the living room all alone. He takes the poem out of his pocket and walks over to Alec. He just had to know what was going on with Alec and Magnus before it drove him crazy. Alec wasn't gay. Was he? Is all Jace could think about. He takes a deep breath and sits next to Alec. Alec glances at Jace then looks back at the fire place.

  " I found this." Jace says as he slips the paper over to Alec.

  Alec looks at Jace then to the paper, he takes it and tucks it in his pocket, " Thanks. I was looking for this."

  The fact that Alec didn't make a big deal about it sort of shocked Jace. Maybe it wasn't a big deal after all, perhaps the poem was written just because Alec wanted too. So Jace decided not to talk about it. If Alec was gay he would tell Jace, so since he wasn't saying anything, he couldn't be. Jace stands up and looks down at Alec.

  " If you ever need to talk to me, I'm here for you." Jace tells Alec before leaving the room

  Alec fiddles with the unfinished poem in his pocket. Should he tell Jace about his feelings for Magnus? Alec stops, feelings... There was no doubt about it now... Alec was in love with Magnus Bane. All these years of thinking he was in love with Jace, they were fake feelings to try not to feel lonely. But now Alec had Magnus in his life. What one person could do to change your life in less than three months. Alec lays on his back and stares at the ceiling with a stupid grin on his face. Tomorrow he was going to go see Magnus and ask him out on a date.



© 2014 Avangeline Lightwood


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Last chapter had romance. And this one had conflict. The first half was little (as in teeny weeny) disconnected but the action, anger that just wrapped it all up. And of course, the very last paragraph was thought provoking, I could infact relate to it. The story is turning out really good. Well done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Another dramatic and very well written chapter.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
2 Reviews
Added on February 8, 2014
Last Updated on February 9, 2014


Author

Avangeline Lightwood
Avangeline Lightwood

The Institute of New York



About
My name is Avangeline Delarosa I love writing, drawing manga, and reading. I usually get my inspirations for stories from music. If you ever need help coming up with a story title or plot you can ask .. more..

Writing