11. Baking Catastrophe

11. Baking Catastrophe

A Chapter by Avangeline Lightwood
"

Alec and Isabelle bake coffee cake. (Alec's POV)

"

 

    " You want to do what!?" I said a little to loudly


    Isabella huffed and put her hands on her hips, " I AM a girl Alec! Sometimes a girl likes to bake!"


   I stared at her for a moment. Isabelle wanted to bake? Isabelle couldn't heat up rice if her life depended on it! Her eyes pierced into my soul until I gave in.


   " FINE! We'll bake." I say throwing my arms up


~~~


   " Alriiiight!" Isabelle exclaims, " Let's get going!" She picks up the coffee cake recipe and scans it, " OH this will be EA-SY!"


  She looks over at me and smiles, " Alec, can you measure the flour? I'll get the other ingredients ready." Isabelle asks


  " Yeah sure." I replied boredly.


  Baking wasn't my ideal way to spend a Saturday night. I'd rather be in my room or out hunting demons. Like any other Shadowhunter would. But no, I was stuck here baking cookies with my little sister. I carefully measured the right amount of flour and put it in a bowl. I'd never baked before, but I was positive I knew more than Isabelle did. She'd tried to make mother a birthday cake once and I had a feeling we might have the same problems from then, tonight. I watched Isabelle add the shortening, baking powder, and salt. And then...


  " Aleeec? How much coffee am I supposed to add to the coffee cake?" She asked


  My eyes widened in dismay. Was she serious!? I sighed and shook my head, " Izzy, you don't put coffee in coffee cake..."


 She tilted her head in confusion, " Then why do they call it coffee cake?"


  I shrugged, " I have no clue Izzy..."


  Izzy looked at me a bit longer before turning back to the recipe. she started to add the rest of the ingredients, but I noticed something most disturbing, she wasn't even measuring anything. She was estimating and just tossing everything into the bowl.  


  " Half a teaspoon of cinnamon? That doesn't seem like enough..." She grumbled, " Let's add a little bit more..."


  I tapped my fingertips on the kitchen counter and watched her, I wanted desperately to say something, but when Izzy starts something, you don't want to interfere. Once she poured the mixture into the pan and slipped into the oven, she smiled widely.


  " This is going to be awesome!"


  I laughed nervously, " Y-Yeah."


~~~


  Twenty minutes later we came back and she took the pan out of the oven. They looked right, but didn't smell right. Clearly Isabelle didn't notice that. She was beaming as she cut the cake and put two pieces on plates.


  " Dig in!" Izzy said


  I looked at the cake and slowly took a small bite. I had to try so hard not to gag and spit it out. It was horrible. How could someone be so terrible at baking!? Or right, ISABELLE could! I forced myself to swallow the cake then set the plate on the counter. Isabelle must not have a sense of flavour, because she devoured her piece.


  " It's good." She told me


  I shrugged and slowly backed out of the kitchen without her noticing. Pulling my phone out, I called Magnus. After that baking catastrophe, I needed to see him.


~~~


  Awhile later I appeared on Magnus' door step, he was already there waiting to let me in.


  " Good evening darling." He purred


  I felt my cheeks grow hot and glares at him. " D-Don't call me that." I stepped inside and he closed the door.


  " Why not? I think it's cute, just like you."


  I held my arm in my other hand, " No I'm not..." I mumbled


  Magnus smiled softly and kissed my forehead, " No, you're not." He said, " You're gorgeous."


 The blush reached my ears and I ducked away from him, " If anyone here is gorgeous, it's you." I whispered


  Magnus sighed and wrapped his arms around me, " So why the sudden wanting to come here?" He ask


  I look at the floor, " Isabelle and I baked a coffee cake."


  His arms fell to his sides and he stared at me, " Isabelle Lightwood baked a cake!?"


  I laughed and shook my head, " Hardly! She added way too much of each ingredient and over baked it. It looked right but smelled and tasted awful." I made a gagging face and Magnus laughed with me.


  He sat on the couch and shrugged, " She never did seem the type to be able to bake anything."


  I sat down next to him and smiled, " She can't even heat up food without over-heating it or making it explode."


  We both laughed for awhile then just sat together, my head resting on Magnus' shoulder. I closed my eyes and relaxed. I could feel Magnus' arm snake around my waist and hold me close. I liked his touch, it was gentle and loving. But I couldn't help but think about how many other's he had been with, who he had said, " I love you," to before. How many had kissed his lips? How many had sat on this couch with him? How many did he.... I couldn't think about it. I just needed to enjoy my time with him while I had it.


  " Magnus?" I said smally


  " Yes darling?"


  I blushed, " Can we go to an... amusement park tomorrow...?"


  He chuckled a bit, " An amusement park huh? Sure, why not."


 



© 2014 Avangeline Lightwood


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very nice. An entertaining chapter. Now for certain reasons I am starting to like this love story even more *blush*. I can sense action is not far away though. Curious to read more. Keep writing

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
1 Review
Added on February 21, 2014
Last Updated on March 2, 2014


Author

Avangeline Lightwood
Avangeline Lightwood

The Institute of New York



About
My name is Avangeline Delarosa I love writing, drawing manga, and reading. I usually get my inspirations for stories from music. If you ever need help coming up with a story title or plot you can ask .. more..

Writing