Sunlighters

Sunlighters

A Chapter by TinaSummer

Sunlighters

                                      The night. It’s disgusting. I can’t bear to look at it,

“Kyong- Wook.” My mother called. I turned to face her. “Yes mother.” I replied. “Be sure to board up your window. The battle is to start soon.” She said. I nodded. My mother left as I picked up my hammer. I quickly, but carefully boarded my window shut.

I could hear the footsteps of the warriors. I knew one day I was to fight among the sunlight warriors. Tomorrow I must go out for my mother. We are running low on food and we must supply ourselves before the next battle. Sun goddess’s orders. Yet none of the markets are opened in the early morning. So I must wait for dawn to shop.

                   That’s the hard part. Dawn is neither night nor day. It’s the only time when sunlighters and moonlighters are out together. Although we never interact, it’s not hard to know who’s a moonlighter. My mother gave me a book about moonlighters. Although I’ve never read it my mother told me that our tattoos our different. The tattoo on my wrist is of the sun.

       Now I know what you maybe thinking. What the heck am I talking about? Well I’m a Sunlighter. I didn’t believe it the first time I heard it either, but it’s true. There’s a world beyond yours. Before all this happened, I was just another human kid. But then I started getting sick and having these weird dreams. So I told my mother and she said I was different. That I had a different destiny. She told me about Sunlighters and moonlighters and this world that I was supposed to belong in. So I came here and started my new life. As a sunlighter.

 

 


                                  Kyong-Wook quietly shut the door to his house. Dawn was disappearing quickly. He had to hurry if he didn’t want to get caught in nightfall. Kyong-Wook ran through the woods. Carefully trying to not trip. He reached the market as it was about to close. The owner scowled at Kyong-Wook and told him he had 3 minutes before he closed his shop. Kyong-Wook thank the owner and hurriedly went to get his supplies.  

 Kyong-Wook paid for his supplies and headed back towards the woods. Nightfall would be here any minute.

 

        The sound of crunching leaves awoke the sleeping Soo-young. She looked out from the bush she was behind. She saw a boy. About the same age as her, brown hair, brown eyes, walking through the woods.  She narrowed her eyes. These were her woods, what was he doing in them? Every moonlighter knew that these woods were hers. ‘Except’ Soo-young thought. “What if he’s a sunlighter?” She voice quietly.

Soo-young moved silently behind the bushes and shrubs. If she caught a sunlighter, she’d move up in her family. Smirking she rushed out from behind the bushes and tackled the man. Kyong-Wook was startled by the impact. He struggled out of his attackers grasp. Kyong-Wook turned to see his attacker. It was a girl. ‘A girl?’ Kyung-Wook thought.

                 “Who are you?” Kyung-Wook asked. Soo-young dusted herself off and turned to Kyong-Wook.  “Kim Soo-young.” Soo-young introduced herself and stuck out her hand. Kyong-Wook cautiously took her hand. Soo-young smirked and flipped Kyong-Wook to the ground.

 

              Kyong-Wook groaned as his back hit the ground. “You really should’ve saw that coming.” Soo-young said and pulled up Kyong-wook’s sleeve. She smile as she recognized the sun shaped tattoo on his wrist.  “You’re coming with me.” She said to Kyong-Wook. It took Kyong-Wook a minute to register what had happened. He quickly pulled out of Soo-young’s grasp.

“You’re a moonlighter!” Kyong-Wook spat. “And you’re a sunlighter.  What are you doing on my turf?” Soo-young asked. “I don’t have to answer to you. A disgusting piece of filth.” Kyong-Wook replied, grabbing his supplies and running through the woods.



© 2015 TinaSummer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

63 Views
Added on September 16, 2015
Last Updated on November 15, 2015