Alaska 2013/07/10

Alaska 2013/07/10

A Chapter by TravelinAlaskan
"

Journal entry 2013/07/10

"
2013/07/10
Went fishing in the kayak this evening and it started out a bit like yesterday but with bigger seas. The rollers where about twice my height in the kayak with the occasional white cap. Wanting to try some new spots I patuled out to the back side of one of the Village Islands on the edge of the sound where the seas depths plunge from 42 to 450 ft. The edge of this shelf is where I won't to be, the big deep water rock fish should be there. Once I made it there I checked my drift and batted my hook and began fishing. After a few minuets of chasing the bottom and getting my drift write so that the waves wouldn't brake into the kayak, but down the kayak (the kayak cutting through the waves). With everything wright I was able to get a bit more sierras about fishing, and having seen a few nibbles all ready I new I was in a good spot. A nibble or two latter I got a good hit and was able to real in a nice Yellow Eye it must have bin 50 year old fish given its size and the flacked that Yellow Eye are a long lived fish (130 years). After drifting for a wile and out of the fishing hole I decided to try a new spot. After about thirty minutes of paddling I figured this should be as good as any  and if not I may drift throw one and wouldn't you know it, as soon as the bate hit the bottom it was one hit and bump after another un tell wam! A good solid strike, O this is a good one, I seed to my self will setting the hook which was responded to with a quick run and the removal of line from the real. Once a bit of give and take was dun and it quite taking line and I was able to real the fish to the kayak and there it was, a Halibut, about two thirds my size (3’) and not happy. What to do now, no gaf no club no gun just a line and hook and a peace of rope. After wrestling for a bit and becoming socking whet from the thrashing of this fish I was able to thread the rope through its mouth and gils. I could now call it cot, time to row home.


© 2015 TravelinAlaskan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

67 Views
Added on December 3, 2015
Last Updated on December 3, 2015


Author

TravelinAlaskan
TravelinAlaskan

I don't live in a city, or even the town, there aren't even roads where I live, my car is a boat., AK



About
I've never been any good at this part but here it goes. I was born on an island in Southeast Alaska with a population of 15,000 and an airport that wasn't even on the same Island. While I was growi.. more..

Writing