Chapter 22

Chapter 22

A Chapter by Victoria Kaer

Snaf looked around, studying the surroundings. “There’s a crapload of cars here man. I don’t like this.”

Kirk nodded as he followed his brother’s gaze around the parking lot. He reached out and stuck the keycard into the slot beside the door, waited for the beep and the light to turn green, before he pushed the door open. “Let’s go.”

Together they moved inside the building. Neither one of them had any clue where they were going or how they were going to find Tre and Chloe, but they were determined to find them and get the hell out of here in one piece. No one was guarding the front security desk, which seemed odd, they moved past it and began to head down the hallway beyond it.

“Wait, hold up big brother.” Snaf stopped and lifted a piece of paper from the surface of the desk, frowning as he read it. “Aw s**t. We got a problem Kirk.”

Kirk moved beside Snaf and read over his shoulder. “What is that?”

“Looks like a copy of a guest list and invite for some sort of party and it’s happening tonight. Now.” He looked at Kirk.

Cursing he snatched the paper from his brother. “Back lawn. Some stupid thing to show off something they’re calling “the newest innovation in weapons technology”. Right I bet I know what it is, or rather who it is.” He tossed the paper back on top of the desk.

Snaf jerked around and raced after his brother as Kirk headed back out the front door. “Kirk, where are you going?”

His brother didn’t answer, just kept walking as he headed around the side of the building. Snaf jogged up next to his brother, grabbed his arm, and jerked him to a stop. “Let go Snaf. We need to find them.”

“Right, I got that part. The question is: How?”

Kirk jerked his chin at the back of the building. “The party. It’s not gonna be inside. Too stark and military like. They’ll probably set up some sort of tent or something out back.”

“Fine. You could have told me that instead of running off.” Snaf shoved past his older brother and stalked toward the backside of the military compound. He slowed as they reached the corner of the building and looked around the corner. Kirk had been correct. There was a big tent set up out back and music drifted from it. Beside him, Kirk let out a snort as the strains of classical music drifted toward them.

“Tre will probably be happy to get away from that crap. Let’s get closer and get a look at how many people we’re dealing with.”

As they neared the tent, they both froze. Screams issued from the tent and people began pouring from inside, running as if their lives depended on it.

“S**t!” Kirk shrugged his rifle from his back and began pushing through the crowd. Snaf right on his tail.

***

Leveler folded his arms over his chest and glared silently down at General Maitland. The general glared right back.

Chloe rolled her eyes. “We’ve already told you General, he isn’t going back into the pyramid.”

“Fine then. Brooks shoot the girl.”

Brooks grinned and pulled his gun, leveling it at Chloe’s face. “Want to rethink that decision big guy?”

Leveler gave a low growl. “Put away the gun little man.”

Brooks arched an eyebrow at him. It was obvious he didn’t scare easily, even if Leveler was larger than life and his purpose was to destroy. “This is your choice, not mine.”

Everything happened quickly. For such a big man Leveler could move in the blink of an eye. His hand flashed out, wrapping around the agent’s wrist. With a quick yank, he dragged Brooks forward and smashed the fist of his other hand into the man’s face, dropping him to the ground. General Maitland screamed for the guards.

Chloe was trying to calm Leveler, while he wrapped a massive hand around the general’s throat and squeezed. Trevor pulled in vain on Leveler’s arm, trying to get him to drop the general. Thinking it was one of the guards, he flung Trevor back. He was dislodged from Leveler’s arm and tossed across the room, where he landed hard on a table and didn’t move.

Chloe let out a scream and tried to dart around Leveler to get to Trevor. Her sudden movement seemed to startle him and he swung around, his fist connected with her chest. She gasped and dropped to her knees, her fists pressed to her chest as she fought for air.

Leveler let out a pained roar and dropped down beside her. Chloe clutched at his arms as she fought for air. He’d crushed her chest when his arm had hit her. Over his shoulder, she suddenly saw Brooks looming like a dark cloud. Pain clouded her world and prevented her from warning him, but it didn’t matter he seemed to sense the agent looming behind him, and in a flash, he set her on the ground and turned on the FBI agent.

“This is your fault!” he snarled down at Brooks.

Brooks gave a strangled laugh. “My fault? You are the one made for destruction. This is your fault. You’re the monster. Not me.”

“You brought her here! You brought them both here! If you had not I would still be locked away! None of this would have ever happened!” With a snarl, he tossed Agent Brooks aside.

“Don’t move or I swear to God I’ll put a bullet in your head.”

Leveler turned slowly to face the man across the tent. “You do not need to threaten me.” He ignored the man and moved to lift Chloe in his arms as he whistled over his shoulder. Durn pushed through a gap in the tent flap and grimaced at the destruction inside.

“S**t, did you have to make such a f*****g mess?” He moved past Leveler and dropped down beside Brooks. He checked the agent’s pulse. “Shoot, the b*****d is still alive. Well, can’t have it all can we now?” He checked on the general as well, dead. “Hey, one out of two. Not bad buddy. Let’s get out of here before Brooks wakes up.”

Kirk glared at the FBI agent. “What in the hell is going on here?”

Durn ignored the question and moved over to check on Trevor. He bent over and pressed his fingers to the pulse at Trevor’s throat. “Tre’s good.” As soon as he spoke, Trevor let out a groan and rolled to his side, pushing his body upright.

Kirk had enough at that point. He still held the rifle pointed at Leveler. “What the f**k is going on here?”

“I suggest you calm your tits,” Leveler said deadpan. “All will be explained as soon as we are away from here.”

Snaf burst out laughing. “Yeah big brother, calm your tits.”

“Oh shut up Snaf.”

“Agent Phillip Durn, we must leave before the guards rally themselves and return.”

Durn gave Leveler a nod. “Of course. How is Chloe?”

Leveler gave her a worried look. “I am not certain. I think I may have hit her just a might too hard. She does not look well.”

Trevor moved to stand beside them; carefully he reached out and placed a hand on her cheek. “Chloe, sweetheart come on you have to be all right.”

Leveler cocked his head to the side and stared down at them. “How do you do that?”

Trevor didn’t look up. “Do what?”

“I can feel you�"both of you. Your energy as it flows between the two of you. You are connected.”

At his words, Trevor looked up. “Yes. We are. All three of us.” He gave Leveler a small smile.

The smile Leveler returned to him was huge and filled with joy. He was overwhelmed to be included in their bond.

“We need to go.”

Trevor gave Durn a nod. “Yeah. Let’s move. Where are we going?”

“Home Tre. We’re taking you home,” Kirk answered.

“It will be the first place Brooks looks for us.”

Kirk shrugged. “Do I care? I’ll shoot the f****r if he tries to take you from us again. You’re family Tre. Now let’s move it. Mom wants you home.”

Trevor couldn’t hide the smile at Kirk’s words. It felt damn good to have family who cared so much about them. One that would fight for them. For their safety.



© 2014 Victoria Kaer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
Added on February 3, 2014
Last Updated on February 3, 2014


Author

Victoria Kaer
Victoria Kaer

Las Vegas, NV



About
Always looking for constructive criticism on my writing if you read, please leave a comment. I'd appreciate anything helpful. (Things like, "It needs editing" don't help. Please tell me what you saw t.. more..

Writing