Epilogue

Epilogue

A Chapter by Victoria Kaer

“Did Leveler call?”

Chloe looked up at Trevor as he shut the front door of the cabin. “Yes, he called a little while ago. He’ll be home in a little bit; he was going to leave after he hung up.”

“I’m glad he’s enjoying the job.” Trevor took off his tool belt and dropped it on the coffee table, before sitting on the couch beside Chloe.

“Actually, he is. More than I thought he would. Who would have thought a man several centuries old would enjoy working as a bounty hunter. He told me that today; he brought in some deadbeat who hasn’t paid his back child support in about twelve years. He was quite happy about that.”

“I think it’s truly helping him to feel better about himself by doing this job. He feels like he’s doing good, instead of destroying things. I believe he and Durn are rather enjoying working together, as well.” Trevor pulled her close and kissed her on the cheek.

“I wish that the answer to freeing him hadn’t been so depressing,” Chloe said as she leaned her head against his shoulder.

Trevor kissed the top of her head. He had to agree with her. They’d found the answer to freeing Leveler, unfortunately it wasn’t one any of them would have expected. In order for him to be free of the pyramid, he would have to trap someone else inside the thing. It was something he would never do. So instead, he kept the thing hidden safely away and concentrated on living his new life.

Just as Chloe and Trevor were doing. As they were all doing, with the hope that Agent Brooks wasn’t going to show up and haul one of them off on some phony charges so that he could lock them away again.

The only damper on the whole thing was Kirk. He’d withdrawn slightly from everyone. He’d tried to go back to the Marines, but Leveler had stood over him and threatened to lock him away somewhere if he even dared try to do such a thing. Leveler had seen the look on Ava’s face when Kirk had announced his intention to reenlist. Leveler was all about protecting now and he intended to protect the Maher family. Because, they were now his family.

They knew that this was probably not the end of things, not by a long shot. Somehow, Agent Brooks would return to their lives. It was just a matter of time. For now, they would live each day to the fullest and pretend the man didn’t exist.



© 2014 Victoria Kaer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on February 3, 2014
Last Updated on February 3, 2014


Author

Victoria Kaer
Victoria Kaer

Las Vegas, NV



About
Always looking for constructive criticism on my writing if you read, please leave a comment. I'd appreciate anything helpful. (Things like, "It needs editing" don't help. Please tell me what you saw t.. more..

Writing