Chapter 23

Chapter 23

A Chapter by Victoria Kaer

Brooks rode in the SUV the led the procession toward the Maher’s little mountain resort in Utah. If Trevor Madison thought he could hide in those goddamned mountains, he was sadly mistaken.

“Turn here,” he barked out at the agent behind the wheel. As soon as the SUV came to a stop in front of the building marked office, he threw open the door and jumped out. Marching up to the door, he shoved it open, and stomped inside.

Ava Maher stood in the center of the room, arms folded beneath her breasts looking as if she’d expected him to come marching through that door and she was prepared to battle him to her last breath to protect Madison and the girl. “Agent Brooks,” she greeted him.

“Hello Mrs. Maher. Where are they?”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about, Agent.” She turned away and headed past the reception desk and beck into her office.

Brooks scowled after her and followed her as if she’d invited him to do so. “Mrs. Maher, I’m not playing games here. Where are they?”

“I’m quite certain that I have no clue what you’re talking about at all.” She sat behind her desk.

“Trevor Madison and Chloe. Where are they?” He stood before her desk, palms flat on the surface as he stared at her. While she sat calmly, her hands folded together in front of her, smiling up at him brightly.

“Just as I told you the first time you were here, Agent Brooks, I have no idea who Trevor Madison is. If you wish to speak to Treacy once more I would be glad to fetch him for you.”

He snarled a few curse words.

“I would appreciate it if you wouldn’t curse.”

“There is no Treacy Maher! You made him up! Now get Madison in here or I’ll tear this place apart until I find him!”

“I don’t think you want to do that, Agent Brooks.”

Brooks turned slowly to face the men standing behind him. Brooks didn’t scare easily, but his blood ran slightly colder as he stared at the men ranged out behind him across the doorway. Kirk Maher, his brother, father, Trevor Madison, Phillip Durn, and the beast from the pyramid.

“Planning on killing me and burying the body in the woods are you?” He was glad his voice sounded steady and calm when he spoke.

Kirk laughed. “That would be a little cliché. Don’t you agree?”

“I wouldn’t put anything past you. I’ve read your files sniper boy,” Brooks commented. His gaze flickered briefly over to Durn, the other man simply stood there, his gaze steady, and by all appearances, he was completely calm. Brooks would like to haul the b*****d back with him, but Durn had left the FBI, resigned, there wasn’t a damn thing he could do about it, either. Though he could make his life hell, just as he could make the Maher family’s lives a little less bright and sunny. He knew things about Durn, about his family; he wouldn’t get off lightly, no way in hell.

Leveler had been standing casually back with his shoulders propped against the wall. At Brooks’ words, he shoved away from the wall and strode forward. “You will be leaving here and you will do it now. You will also not return.”

Brooks sent him an incredulous look. “What makes you believe I’ll do anything of the sort?”

Leveler leaned in close to him so they were nose to nose. “Because if you do not do this, I will snap your neck and burn your body until your bones are nothing but ash for the winds to scatter. Is this understood little man?”

Brooks scowled when he heard Madison chuckle from where he stood. “Fine. I’ll leave, but the lot of you can’t hide up here forever. You can bet your a*s I’ll find a way to return. And mark my words; none of you will remain free forever. I’ll find some way to haul you in.” As he stalked out the door, he sent Madison a death glare.

Kirk slapped Leveler on the back. “Nice job big guy.”

Leveler gave him a small nod. “I will make certain he and his men leave the premises.”

Trevor blew out a breath. “Brooks won’t let this go. He’ll be back just like he said.”

There were nods all around. Snaf sighed. “It’s just a matter of when and what excuse he’ll use to come back and who he’ll come back for when he returns.”

“So we’re going to spend a long while looking over our shoulders,” Trevor said quietly. It was something he’d hoped he wouldn’t have to do once this was over. Still, he felt freer than he ever had in his life.

Kirk scowled over his statement. “My contacts will keep their ears open. If Brooks wants a fight, we’ll give him one, and there’s no way in Hell that we’ll give up without one, either. This family doesn’t go down easily. Now, we’ve got work to do. No more standing around.”

They laughed as he stomped out the door.



© 2014 Victoria Kaer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
Added on February 3, 2014
Last Updated on February 3, 2014


Author

Victoria Kaer
Victoria Kaer

Las Vegas, NV



About
Always looking for constructive criticism on my writing if you read, please leave a comment. I'd appreciate anything helpful. (Things like, "It needs editing" don't help. Please tell me what you saw t.. more..

Writing