Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Dewella~Vintella
"

To die, is an awfully big adventure.

"
I stared up at the night sky, watched as the velvet blackness of space was brightened with a million stars, twinkling like diamonds. It was beautiful, just as it always was here at night. The air was fresh and carried the scent of sage brush, filling me with a calm I did not know was possible on a night like this.

I had been crying since the sun had set, too much had happened in the day for my mind to take in, and so here I was, sitting at the bottom of the drive staring up at the sky. I always came out here on nights like this, my house was too full of people, and I didn’t like them to see me cry, especially the kids.

My tears had stopped for the moment, and I listened to the peaceful sounds of the night. Owls and crickets made a sweet symphony of nature as I listened, flowing with offbeat melody. I sighed laying back in the dirt, not caring about the rocks digging into my back, swatting away the occasional mosquito.

A dog barked nearby, but that was usual, deer and antelope often roamed out here at night, and always seemed to rile up the dogs that were chained outside. I heard the shuffle of feet over the rocky road, I sat up and looked around, and wondering who else would be up and outside this time of night. There was no one to see though, and I thought maybe it was a rabbit or some other rodent.

A cloud of dust surrounded me seconds before I was assaulted, arms of steel wrapping around me and trapping my arms at my sides. I struggled, the body starting to bruise against the hold one me. One of the arms moved, grabbing a handful of my hair and yanking my head to the side as I hissed in pain.

“Stay calm” A velvety male voice spoke behind me moments before my neck was priced by his teeth, white hot pain consuming my body. I tried to get away, tried to scream for help, but my body got weak within seconds I felt as if the energy was being sapped out of my body, leaving my weak and limp.

I crumpled against his chest, straining to keep myself upright as my eyes got heavy and my mind went dead.

I woke up in a small bed in what looked like a run down abandoned apartment. My head was dizzy and my body was aching, stiff and resistant to my moving about. I sat up and took deep breaths as my stomach knotted, the muscles constricting. I felt as if I was going to vomit, wither that or pass out.

I tried to remember what happened, how I got here, or where I was for that matter. I remembered going outside, clearing my mind and getting away from the family. I remember laying down in the drive and listening to the sounds of the night. Had I fallen asleep out there? If so, where was I now, and how did I get here? It felt as if I was forgetting something, I tried to file through my thoughts but it was all a blurry mess, most of it bits and pieces of a bad dream.

“Ah, you’re awake.” I jumped a foot off the old bed as a male voice came from the shadows.

My heart was " Wait, I was scared out of my mind, yet my body felt calm, my heart was not pounding in my chest, my breath was not catching in my throat.. What was wrong with me?

I looked to the corner of the room, where the shadows were dense, but I could see the outline on a lith figure.

“Who are you and what am I doing here?” I asked politely, though I was scared. I still thought maybe I had fallen asleep in the drive, and someone had come along and picked me up, sheltering me from the cold.

He stepped out of the shadows then, a handsome man in his late twenties maybe. He looked sad, maybe guilty, though I couldn’t figure out why. And when he spoke, his voice sounded familiar, like a distant dream.

“I am sorry, I am so sorry.” He apologized, and then rambled on, “I didn’t mean to, I am so sorry. You were not supposed to be there, it was not supposed to be you. But you smelled so good, and no one was there to see me take you. I am sorry, it was not supposed to happen like that, I just wanted to talk to you. You looked so sad, but I was so hungry. God I am so sorry.”

I was about to ask him to explain, when all the memories came rushing back to me. Sitting out in the drive relaxing, then being attacked the next moment. Strong arms holding me captive and the piercing pain at my neck. I thought I had died, thought he had murdered me, I remember being so weak and falling to the ground only to have him scoop me into his arms and carry me off. I was passed out then; I had lost so much blood.

I stared down at my body and saw blood stains trailing down the right side of my body. I reached my hand to my neck and felt the dried blood peel away at my touch. My neck was whole though, I did not feel any wounds or scars, as if it never happened. Only the blood was evidence enough.

I leapt from the bed and to the other side of the room, as far away from his as possible with a speed I did not know I had. I glared at him, my hands balling into fists as I screamed at him.

“What the hell did you do to me you b*****d!?”

Tears filled my eyes, and I faintly smelled something sweet and metallic. My body was shaking with anger and fear, anger at what he had done to me, fear that my assumptions might be true.

He fell to his knees, his own tears staining his pale face with thin rivers with a pink wetness. “I am so sorry, I did not mean to. But I was so hungry, so hungry.”

I fall back against the wall as he repeated his earlier words, only adding to my fear. I could have walked away and forgotten about it, could have left with no truth. But I had to know, I had to know what happened to me.

“What are you, what did you do to me?” My voice was only a whisper, wavering with my tears.

“I turned you,” He sobbed, then lifting his head his eyes pleading, “I am so sorry, please understand. Please forgive me.”

I hung my head low, my own sobs racking my body, my hair hiding my face from him. I hated crying, I hated it more when others saw me cry.

“Forgive you? Your b*****d, I am dead.”

He continued to cry, continued to plead with me and apologize. I walked to the door, disgusted and scared. The stenches of his bloody tears making my stomach tighten with a dreadful hunger. I felt without a word, contemplating my next moves. Wondering where I would go and what I would do now, I had no place in the world, I was dead. I laughed to myself; I was the walking dead, what a b***h.

I stood outside my house, outside the window of the bedroom I had once shared with my younger cousin. I looked back to the ranch that was on the other side of our yard, wondering if the rancher would miss the cow I had fed off of. I could still taste the sickly sweetness of its blood, coating the back of my throat.

I could hear Sara, my little cousin, inside the room. She was playing on my laptop, her fingers slowly tapping the keys. I could hear her crying; smell the salt in her tears. She was crying because of me, I had passed a house on my way here, the TV going as the man inside slept soundly on the couch. It had been the news, telling of my death. I had passed the spot in my drive where the dirt had absorbed my blood.

They all thought I was dead, it had been broadcasted all over the news, and the whole town was probably talking about it. Considering how small our town was, and the way gossip spread, I would not be surprised if the entire county new every little bit of information, about me and my death.

I sat outside the window and thought of what to do; she was one of the only people I trusted to tell. But what would that do to her? Would it break her down and tear her apart, seeing the rest of her family grieve for me and she the only who knew the truth? Would she even believe me? Would she tell anyone if she did?

I was lost and I was alone, I wanted to tell her, but I didn’t want to burden her with it. The only reason why I was fighting to decide was because there were things I need in my room, or at least wanted. I had no money, no clothes, nowhere to sleep or shower, nothing. I took a deep breath, standing up and facing the window; my fist inches away from the glass as I thought it over one last time.

I knocked on the glass; I heard her typing pause and her tears freeze in her eyes. She was quiet inside, and for a moment it was like she was not even there, the only indication I had was the pounding of her heart in my ears.

The she moved, racing to the window, stumbling over dirty clothes that littered the floor. I saw the curtain waver as she moved it aside. Stared up at her and saw her eyes widen with surprise, her mouth hanging open, I almost smiled at the sight. If it had been any other time I would have laughed at her and told her she looked like an idiot. God I missed her.

She paused, looking at me from top to toe, turning to look behind her and then back at me. She moved to open the window, moving back so I could climb inside. We didn’t speak for minuets, just sat there and started at one another in silence. I saw her look over my body, noting the paleness of my skin, realizing how gracefully I had climbed in through the window. Finally I have a soft smile, and I heard her gasp as her eyes fell on my small fangs.

“You’re dead. Dead. You are dead Sarah…..Sara, she is dead.” I laughed as she babbled on, speaking to me and then to herself, saying the same words over and over again. All the while the word dead echoing in my ears and stabbing my dead heart with pain.

“Your dead!” She threw her arms around me, saying dead like it meant that I was really alive, and in a way, it did.

I hugged her back for a second then pulled away slowly to look at her.

“Not a word.” Was all I said and she only nodded, giving me a look that shunned me for even thinking she would tell someone.

I cont stay long, I just need to get a few things. I will come visit, I cant stay here anymore.” She still did not say anything, just nodded and helped me gather my things into a bag. Once I had everything together I swung the bag over my shoulder and went to the window. I was not going to say goodbye, I could not bare to tell her good bye. I would visit like I said I would, but it felt as if I was leaving my entire behind. I laughed to myself, tears coming to my eyes; My life, I didn’t have one, not anymore.

I swung my legs out the window and prepared to jump out, only to be stopped by her hand on my shoulder. I turned back to look at her, waiting for her to speak.

“Are you going to see…” Her words trailed off, not completing the question. She didn’t need to, I already knew what she was going to ask.

I shook my head and looked away, “No, I don’t think I could handle what I might find there.”

I left without another word, jumping out the window and sprinting from the house. I ended up back in the small room I had woken up in. I flung myself down on the bed and cried till the sun rose.



© 2011 Dewella~Vintella


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

So poignant, so emotional. I had nearly forgotten this one. It's been a long time. I've been quietly working on the story we started together, the continuation of the contest. A snails pace really, as I haven't had anyone to bounce ideas off of, to read and comment about what they thought.

I wonder, as this was written so long ago, how do think it would go this time? With circumstances changed, if tonight is when you died and arose, how would things turn out? Would you do the same things, speak to the same people, feel the same emotions? I know it would be very much different for myself.

I would love to see you return and spruce this up a bit. You're a good writer. You just have problems with spelling sometimes. Although someone I know would be jealous, you were a good friend and I miss talking to you.

Perhaps we'll speak again.

-Caradoc

Posted 11 Years Ago


Dewella~Vintella

11 Years Ago

I can tell you without a doubt that things would go very different in this situation; I dont even ha.. read more
Caradoc

11 Years Ago

I just missed you by half an hour...damn my human body and the need to eat food...Lol.
Dewella~Vintella

11 Years Ago

Terrible timing you :P

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

274 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 8, 2011
Last Updated on August 8, 2011


Author

Dewella~Vintella
Dewella~Vintella

Gillette, WY



About
As time has changed, so have I. For a long time I thought I knew who I was and where I belonged, and for a long time I constructed myself to fit inside that mold; But it seems that much like the w.. more..

Writing
Landon Landon

A Chapter by Dewella~Vintella


Dante Dante

A Chapter by Dewella~Vintella