Bound By Blood Chapter Sixteen

Bound By Blood Chapter Sixteen

A Chapter by

Chapter Sixteen
 
Lara glided down the stone steps holding her head up high. She walked gracefully into the large kitchen, casting a glance towards Darius as he sat down at the large oak table. He averted his eyes and took a bite out of his muffin. Lara snatched a muffin off the still warm pan on the stovetop and took a seat two seats away from Darius. She smiled warmly at him when she took a small bite out of the muffin. Darius shifted uncomfortably in his seat under Lara’s warm smile.
“You ok, Darius? You look a little tired. Were you up late last night?” Lara asked sweetly at him, her eyes failing to hide the glint of wicked behind them. Darius’ eyes shot up to look at Lara in the face, silently asking her if she was serious. He sat there in his chair, wondering why Lara was acting this way. She remembers what happened last night, he thought bitterly to himself. He savagely took a bite out of his muffin, gnashing his teeth together with emotional rage.
“I’m quite fine, no thanks to you last night,” Darius said harshly. Lara looked at him with amusement shining all around her face. She smiled thoughtfully at him and sipped some coffee down.
“No thanks to me? Did I do something wrong?” Lara mustered up the best sweet voice she could produce when she spoke to him. Anger flashed in Darius’ features as his ears listened to her voice angelically asking if she did something wrong.
“Oh, so you do not remember last night?” he asked sarcastically. Amusement replaced the wicked in Lara’s eyes and she smiled.
“I dare say I don’t,” her silver tongue clashed against her teeth while she spoke. A muscle ticked along Darius’ jaw and he carefully set his muffin down.
“Well, then let me enlighten you. Last night, in your room, your hand, my…ahem…well my southern region as you liked to call it. Ring any bells?” Darius said stiffly. A smiled curved on Lara’s lips.
“Oh-h-h, now I remember. Yes, it’s coming back very clearly now. I didn’t hurt you did I?” Laughter danced in Lara’s voice as she spoke. Darius’ lips quivered as he tried to suppress his lips to curl into a sneer.
“I’ll be in my study if you need me,” he finally said, scooting back from the table, snatching his muffin. Lara watched him walk away and out of sight before she burst into fits of laughter. Her laughter did not go unnoticed. The young maid who tended to Lara walked into the kitchen with a smile lighting up her worn face.
“My, my Miss Lara, it has been too long since these lonely walls have heard your sweet laughter,” the maid said softly. Lara jumped in surprise.
“I’m sorry, Lily, I didn’t realize you were here,” Lara giggled.
“Don’t fret, ma’am. I enjoy hearing your laughter. It makes my day all the jollier,” Lily said with sincerity in her voice. Lara smiled warmly at her, and took another bite out of her muffin.
“Well, then, just for you I will laugh five times a day to make your day jollier,” Lara said, gazing at her only friend encased in these stonewalls. Lily smiled sweetly at her and continued on her way, humming to herself a lively tune. Lara watched Lily leave the kitchen, still humming to herself. Lara smiled sweetly at her departing friend, and turned back to her unfinished muffin.
“Prepare to meet your doom, muffin who I now dub thee Darius!” Lara cackled, before taking a large menacing bite out of the innocent muffin. She chugged the last of her coffee, setting the mug down with a resounding clang on the table. Lara scooted out of her chair and grabbed her cloak, proceeding towards the doors that led to the courtyard. Warm sunlight greeted her face, along with a gentle cold breeze. Fresh fallen snow littered the stone walks, coating them in a frozen wonder. The water in the fountains was frozen; some of the water that spurted out of the angel’s mouth was suspended in the chilly air.
Lara chose to walk on the frozen grass, hoping she wouldn’t slip so much as she probably would on the frozen walkways. The frozen blades of grass crunched under her weight, bowing down to her every footstep. A large deer stepped from the shadows of the tree, its ears perking up at the sight of the vampire. The deer stood rigid as it watched Lara watching it. A young fawn stumbled from the trees and stood alongside its mother. A small smile spread across Lara’s lips as she watched mother and baby graze on the little vegetation the manor had to offer. Lara continued on her way, walking around the perimeter of the property. She stopped on occasion to marvel at the natural beauty before her. Her breath would hitch in her throat and tears would well up in her eyes. Maybe this was the reason she chose to stay at this haunting manor. She could leave anytime she wanted to, but she chooses to stay, just for the priceless moments like these. The snow glittered in the sun light, casting sunrays along the wet hem of Lara’s cloak.
Lara continued to trudge through the frozen sea, laughing on occasion when a small field mouse would shoot through the snow, leaving behind a small gap between the ice crystals. A pair of gleaming violet stared at Lara from the shadows of the evergreen trees. The owner of the eyes curled its lips into a snarl, its white teeth gleaming in the sunlight. The creature slithered into the center of the deceiving shadows. A feeling of unease fluttered through Lara’s chest, causing her heart to miss a beat. Lara turned around, looking for something, or someone. All right, where is he? Lara looked around, trying to spot Darius among all the whiteness. She continued on her long journey, keeping a wary out for hide or hair or even both of Darius. The violet eyes watched Lara walk cautiously through the snow, a sneer curving its lips. The creature stepped into the sunlight, keeping low to the ground, its feet silently breaking through the snow’s weak barrier. It crept stealthily towards the retreating figure of Lara, attempting to stay low and silent. It came within a few feet of Lara before pouncing on her, tackling her to her stomach on the snow-covered ground. It leaned its head forward, its snout coming close to Lara’s ear.
“Listen good, and listen well, young vampire,” the raspy voice snarled, “if you value your life, you will kill the one the vampires call Damien. He is neither man nor monster, but a demon. If you value your life and the life of your sister, you will pierce his black heart with my fang,” the creature spoke, its voice crackling in her ear. Lara rolled herself over, looking into the violet eyes of a large black wolf. Her breath hitched in her throat and she tried to shuffle backwards from the wolf. The violet eyes watched her with amusement in their depths.
“Who are you?” Lara cried, fear causing her voice to crack with emotion. The wolf watched for a moment before sitting back on its haunches.
“The vampires call me a cootelay, but my betrothed name is Kamoux,” the wolf snarled, baring his fangs at Lara. Lara sneered at wolf and protruded her own fangs.
“You dare to bare your fangs at me? Do you know who I am?” Lara snapped at Kamoux. Kamoux lifted his lips in a sorry attempt of a smile.
“Yes. I know perfectly well who you are,” he got to his feet and started to circle Lara, who was still on her butt, “you’re Lara Goodrich, second most powerful vampire in America, behind Darius and in front of Damien and Lauren, who are equal in power and strength, but not experience,” Kamoux said in a harsh voice, the sour tone of sarcasm floating in his words. Lara arched an eyebrow, keeping a keen eye on Kamoux as he circled her.
“Damien and Lauren are equal? That’s not possible, Damien is the Fusion; he possesses two powers. Lauren doesn’t even have her power yet. At least she didn’t in August. But that was four months ago, so she may or may not have discovered her power yet,” Lara said in a low voice, cautiously moving to her feet. Kamoux continued to stalk around her ankles, nipping at her cloak on occasion.
“Ever use that brain of yours? Think about it, who was forged from Darius’ venom? Who retaliated his command and who defied him, not once or twice, but countless times?” Kamoux asked, his eyes lighting up with hope. Lara scanned the heavens, trying to put the pieces together. Her eyes opened wide with the answer.
“There are two Fusions? But that cannot be possible! There can only be one who is in absolute control! Legend says that if two Fusions were to meet, a bloody battle will ensue, wreaking havoc among the vampire race, destroying all but one, and that would be the victor of the battle. If Lauren is the other Fusion, then she has a fifty percent chance of dying,”
“It also means she had a fifty percent chance of being victorious,” Kamoux stated, eyeing Lara as she paced nervously through the snow, carving a small passage into the frozen crystals.
“What are her powers?” Lara asked abruptly. Kamoux looked at Lara, studying her hard features, sighing with defeat.
“She has the power to blend in with her surroundings and also to destroy anything in her path,” Kamoux replied, contradicting Lara’s conclusion. Lara fell down into the snow, waving her arms high above her head and bringing them down to make the upper part of a snow angel. Kamoux watched with intent eyes, his face relaxing under the warmth of the sun.
“So,” Lara asked, pausing from her angel making, “what are you exactly?” Kamoux lifted his large head up; his violet eyes melting with Lara’s silver ones.
“I used to be a vampire, but then Darius over threw Lateesh and crushed all of his aides, including me. I was Lateesh’s most trusted advisor, friend, and brother,” Kamoux spoke in a solemn voice, his eyes venturing downwards, staring intently at the snow.
“Darius corrupted every system and every structure that we had. Our country was the wealthiest of all the vampire empires, but Darius used our hard earn money to spend all on himself. He bought all the furnishings that are now present in the manor and he bought himself slaves. One of those slaves could perform black magic, which Darius used to his advantage. He ordered my mutation because of my ‘incompetence to serve under him,’”
 Lara watched Kamoux with intent eyes, deciphering his words, searching for sentimental meaning to them.
“I’m sorry; I didn’t realize he was so cruel. Well scratch that, I did know, do know,” Lara smiled warmly at Kamoux, noticing a small twinkle in his eyes. She placed a soft hand on his furry paw and she could feel his muscle tighten under her touch but then they slowly relaxed, allowing her hand to stay where it was.
“But you must make me a promise; you must kill Damien, at all cost,” Kamoux whispered softly, his voice cracking with emotion. Lara swore she could see a tear sliding down through his fur.
 
Roxanne watched the sun rise slowly from the east, casting long shadows all around the woods. Sunrays penetrated through the thick foliage of the trees, the fog becoming more visible in the light. She hugged her knees close to her body noting how comforting this position was for her. How she enjoyed the feeling of security and closeness. Something she would hope to share with a companion, a mate. A small wind slipped through the gaps of the trees, picking up leaves that littered the forest floor, taking them on a small but exciting ride. The wind swept along the floor, tumbling leaves and circling around Roxanne’s ankles.
A cold chill crawled up Roxanne’s spine. She hugged herself tighter, relishing in the warmth. Roxanne released her hold on her knees and stood up, rustling the dead twigs from their eternal slumber. She walked back towards the smoldering fire, stepping over Lauren and Damien on her way to the belly of the dark woods. Maybe Lauren and Damien are meant to be together, they’re both Fusions. They can make lots of Fusion babies, Roxanne thought grimly to herself. She grinded her teeth and stormed through the forest, upsetting stones and creatures. This isn’t right; she thought to herself, I need to be in control of my emotions. I need to be happy for Lauren, instead of tearing her down. It’s not her fault Damien is drawn to her. I just wish a guy would look at me like that, just once. Roxanne stepped over tree roots; small boulders and once or twice what appeared to be sleeping deer.
She ventured through the forest, taking her time to memorize every stone and every curvature the earth provided. She stumbled upon a secluded stream, frozen in its path down the mountain. Roxanne dropped to her knees and placed a hand on the frozen water, marveling at the lack of temperature difference between her cold hand and the frozen element. A sigh of despair managed to slip past Roxanne’s parted lips. Grudgingly, she stood to her feet and started back up the overgrown path. A boulder rested precariously on a ledge and with little effort on her part, Roxanne sent the boulder toppling down the face of the cliff. All it took was a small flick of her small wrist. It was unnatural. It was a freak show. I shouldn’t even exist…I shouldn’t be…
Roxanne found the clearing to the campsite and nearly chocked on her own tongue.
“Laur─,” Roxanne cut herself off, gaping at the scene before. Damien stood behind Lauren, his hands clutching her waist, snarling in her ear. A gag was tied around Lauren’s mouth, her hands tied behind her back. Roxanne jumped back into the undergrowth, hoping Damien didn’t hear her. She knew Lauren did though when she began to struggle against him and her restraints. Small whimpers escaped her concealed lips and tears dripped from her eyes. Damien looked around, wondering why Lauren had started to strain against him, but he saw nothing. He untied the gag that was bound around her mouth and lifted a fatal looking blade close to her throat. Lauren’s eyes never left Roxanne as she continued to struggle against her captive. She was pleading silently with Roxanne to help her, but Roxanne stood rooted to the spot.
“Any last words, Fusion?” Damien hissed in her ear, digging the blade deep into her throat, making Lauren cry out.
“ROXANNE!”
Roxanne jolted from her nightmare; sweat dripping from her hair. She could detect her heartbeat thundering deafeningly in her ears. Her chest was heaving like it did in her dream, her lungs screaming for air. Sweat trailed down the contours of her face, the salt stinging her eyes. Lauren mumbled in her sleep to Roxanne’s immediate right. Roxanne yelped and scrambled backwards until her back was flushed with a large boulder.
“Morning, Roxanne,” Damien said cheerfully, coming out of the trees with a bundle of sticks tucked away under his arm. Roxanne screamed again, surprise slapping her hard across the face.
“S-sorry,” she said breathlessly, “you scared me,” her eyes watched him carefully, deciphering his body language. He was very happy about something; he had a spring in his step and glow about him.
“No worries. Hungry?” Damien asked, holding a tin full of what appeared to rabbit parts out to her. Roxanne shook her head and encircled her knees, hugging them to her chest.
“I’m not really hungry,” Roxanne mumbled into her knee. Damien looked up from his rabbit.
“You ok, love? You sound a bit down,”
“Nah, I’m good,” Roxanne answered.
 
 
 


© 2008


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
Added on March 30, 2008


Author


Writing
Chapter One & Two Chapter One & Two

A Chapter by


Fate's Design Fate's Design

A Book by