The Dream

The Dream

A Chapter by Zoey Balderston
"

Chapter 1 of Love from Above

"

Twigs and rocks crunched under our feet as we ran, trying desperately to get away from our pursuers. The creatures were gaining on us as we bolted through the caves. My lungs burned hotter than the pits of lava we were continually dodging. Why won’t my wings work?! I thought as we ran headlong through the narrow tunnels, gasping for air. Goodness knew I could fly faster than I could run. Suddenly I spotted a way out up ahead, a slight lightening of the gloom. I dared a glance back to see the demons barreling through the dust not far behind. We poured on one last burst of energy and sprinted for the shred of light coming from the opening. Legs trembling, chest heaving, I reached the passage to freedom. Just when I thought we were in the clear, we were tackled, sending us sprawling into the dirt.

 

Suddenly, my alarm clock goes off, waking me from the dream with a pounding heart.

 

I roll over groggily to silence the annoying ringing, but end up rolling off the bed with a yelp. I disentangle myself from the blankets and look at the clock. 6 AM?! Why am I getting up at 6 AM on a Saturday? I look over at the sticky note on my clock, having to remind myself why I need to get my butt out of bed on early mornings, or I might be tempted to go back to sleep.

 

Training Day is written on it in my messy handwriting. Right, today is the start of the final phase in my Guardian Angel training. I groan but start getting ready anyway.

 

“Hey, Janie, Libby. Get up,” I say, chucking pillows at their heads. Janie grumbles something disparaging I choose to ignore but sits up anyway, her messy brown curls making it look as though a tumbleweed had rolled onto her head while she slept. Libby squeals and falls out of her bed, arms flailing.

 

I guess I should introduce myself. I’m Kelsey. I live in a dorm type situation with my best friends Janie and Libby; we are angels. We were born angels, and we will stay angels for eternity. Libby and I are in training to become Guardian Angels. The final phase of our training is to go live on Earth and study the behavior of the Humans. Janie already completed her training and is tagging along for support and as our tutor. In order to earn the right to be a Guardian, we must learn their ways, and do a mega good deed for the human we choose to guard.

 

I make my way to my vanity mirror and start methodically working the tangles out of my raven’s wing black hair. Libby stumbles, eyes still closed, into the bathroom to shower.

“You better not hog the bathroom for too long!” Janie hollers through the closed door, neatly making her bed. Libby emerges ten minutes later, her long light brown hair still damp.

“All yours, your majesty,” Libby sketches a bow and gestures to the bathroom. Janie rolls her eyes and pushes Libby onto the bed as she walks past. I stifle my laughter, thinking that this is exactly why I shower at night. Three girls sharing one bathroom was not the best call on whoever designed the living situations up here.

 

Once Janie, Libby, and I are all dressed and ready, we fly up to the launch site to meet Maggie, the woman who runs the gateway to Earth, where we will receive our location assignment. Our wings sort of poof in and out of existence when we wish to use them. Every angel has different wings depending on their personality. Mine are black and shine in the sun like an oil slick with a rainbow of colors. Libby has ginger and gold-streaked wings. Janie's are white with chocolate brown freckles that match her hair and eyes. 

 

“Hey Maggie,” Janie says as we approach.

 

“Hey Janie, what are you doing here? You’ve finished your training, haven’t you?” Maggie inquires, her short blonde curls bouncing as she c***s her head to the side in confusion.

 

“I have,” Janie responds. “These two, however, have not.” She jabs a thumb in our direction. Libby and I wave at Maggie.

 

“Oh I see. Kelsey and Libby, right?” Maggie pecks away at her computer keyboard to find out what region of the world we have been assigned.

 

“So where are we headed Maggs?” Libby asks.

 

“Looks like you ladies are headed to Big Sur, California,” Maggie responds, reading off her monitor.

 

“Sweet! Bring on the ocean!” I respond excitedly, having never seen the ocean up close.

 

“Thanks Maggie,” Janie says smiling.

 

“Good luck!” Maggie pulls the large lever beside her desk and the tall pearly gates swing open smoothly.

 

We step up to the gate and look down at the world below. Wings outstretched, we rocket down toward California.



© 2024 Zoey Balderston


Author's Note

Zoey Balderston
I'm just going to warn you guys now, I started writing this book years ago. My writing has gotten better since then. I know these first chapters are really short and kinda awkward, I promise it gets better. Just bear with me through this first little bit, and I promise I won't let you down :3

Update: Now its been over a decade since I started writing this book and I've decided to give a go at rewriting the first book and adding to the second book. I will be updating chapters as I go so bear with me as some changes are made.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like it so far. Very unique. I like that banter back and forth. Its easy to read this. Cool idea too for the story.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sounds awesome. This is definitely a story I would want to read.

Great details.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

396 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 28, 2014
Last Updated on January 29, 2024


Author

Zoey Balderston
Zoey Balderston

AZ



About
I'm a girl who absolutely loves to read, I often got yelled at to put the book away by my teachers. I am a huge art geek. Anything to do with art I'm all for! I write and draw whenever life allows tim.. more..

Writing