Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Preparation

Preparation

A Chapter by Zoey Balderston
"

Chapter 3 of Love from Above

"

The rest of the house is unpacked and clean in record time.

 

“Wow, I think that’s the fastest I have ever seen you clean anything Kelsey.” Janie says, glancing around at the house, looking impressed.

 

“Gee! I wonder why!” Libby calls sarcastically from the top of the stairs. I stick my tongue out at her.

 

“Before we go over to Jeremy’s house, there is one more thing we have to do.” Janie says.

 

“What?” Libby asks as she slides down the stair rail. Janie and I roll our eyes, but laugh in spite of ourselves.

 

“We have to go into town to pick up a few cell phones so we can easily keep in touch. We’ll have to drive there though so we don’t get caught flying.” Janie says.

 

“Oh! I want to drive! Those simulations they give upstairs are lame, I want to try for real!” I say as I grab the keys to my red Mini Cooper.

 

***

 

We drive into the town of Big Sur, California that is not too far from our house. Driving in real life is very different from the simulations the angels gave us, and I hear Janie grit her teeth as I make yet another hairpin turn. We make our way to a strip mall and pull into a parking space near the cell phone store jerking forward as I underestimate the power of the brakes for the millionth time. As soon as we walk in a girl comes over to stand in front of us.  

 

“Hello, I am Cheyenne. Can I help you find something?” The girl has brown and blonde streaked hair that falls down to the middle of her back. She has a friendly grin on her face, and the smile is vaguely familiar though I can't quite put my finger on why. “Hey wait a second, are you Janie, Kelsey, and Libby?” She asks, scrutinizing us.

 

“Yes, why?” Libby asks cautiously.

 

“My brother went over to meet you earlier. I went home for my lunch break and all he talked about was you three.”

 

“Oh, you’re Jeremy’s sister? Well, it’s nice to meet you. I’m Kelsey,” I say, extending a hand to shake, recognizing that they do indeed share many similar features.

 

“So, you are the famous Kelsey. He talked about you the most,” Cheyenne grasps my hand firmly, giving me a knowing smile and a wink. I feel my cheeks heat.

 

“Well, it’s very nice to meet you,” Janie says, trying to deflect for my sake. “We just need three phones.”

 

“Of course, it’s very nice to meet you too. Do you have a style of phone in mind?” Cheyenne asks, walking over to a long row of displays.

 

“I like this one,” Libby says, holding up the latest iPhone, according to the tag next to it.

 

“Three of the same?” Cheyenne asks.

 

“Sounds good to me,” Janie says, pulling out a credit card the Angels had given us to use for any expenses during our training. Cheyenne has our phones set up in no time and we thank her and head out the door.

 

On the drive home, my mind drifts, daydreaming about Jeremy. Were the things he said about me bad, or is he as intrigued by me as I am by him? Who made those awesome cookies?

 

“Kelsey! Watch out!” Libby’s scream brings my attention back to the road in time to see I had drifted into oncoming traffic. We all scream as I swerve back into my own lane.

 

“Have you completely lost your mind?!” Janie screams from the back seat.

 

“Sorry, I just got, distracted. That’s all.” I mutter.

 

***

 

When we get home, I go straight up to my room to make sure I am ready to go see Jeremy. I stand in front of the full-length mirror hung behind by door. I smooth out my hair and clothes and make sure my eyeliner isn’t horribly smudged. Satisfied that I look cute enough, I head out into the hall. “Ready to head over to Jeremy’s house?” I call out to Janie and Libby.

 

Libby smirks at me as I take the stairs down two at a time. “In a rush to see your love again, are you?” She says fluttering her eyes at me tauntingly.

 

I resist the urge to elbow her, but just barely. Janie comes running down the stairs and we walk out the door toward Jeremy’s house.



© 2023 Zoey Balderston


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

ok. My car question was just answered. I'm a romantic at heart so I hope things work out between them. I'm at this point wondering what the sister at the store has to do with the story. But I'm sure ill find out.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

183 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 28, 2014
Last Updated on October 24, 2023


Author

Zoey Balderston
Zoey Balderston

AZ



About
I'm a girl who absolutely loves to read, I often got yelled at to put the book away by my teachers. I am a huge art geek. Anything to do with art I'm all for! I write and draw whenever life allows tim.. more..

Writing
The Dream The Dream

A Chapter by Zoey Balderston