End of the Day

End of the Day

A Chapter by Zoey Balderston
"

Chapter 27 of Love from Above

"

Being the first day, my 5th hour graphic design class is pretty boring. We aren’t allowed onto the computers yet, so all there is to do is listen to Ms. Arch go over the syllabus and student handbook... again. The hour moves by sluggishly as I doodle on my notebook cover.

 

At the end of class, I walk out to find Jeremy waiting for me against a wall. As we walk to the last class of the day hand in hand, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and I feel daggers being stared into my back. I glance over my shoulder to see Brittney standing in the middle of the hall, looking furious. I send her a triumphant, slightly mocking grin before turning away.

 

The desks of Ms. Karlton’s science class are arranged in groups of four. Janie and Libby are already staking one out for us in the back of the room. I can already tell I’m going to like Ms. Karlton. Not only is science my favorite academic subject, but she also gets us working on a lab the very first day. Beakers of various chemical substances are set out on the blacktop lab tables.

 

“Okay everyone, your procedures are on the tables. Get started properly mixing your substances and recording the effects of the different mixtures. Be sure the safety glasses are on your face at all times,” Ms. Karlton says in a very upbeat tone.

 

I get nervous when I recognize the combination of yeast and hydrogen peroxide as being a bit explosive. Jeremy starts adding these two chemicals to a small plastic tube with a lid.

 

“You may want to stay a safe distance away from that when you start shaking the tube. And you look very adorkable in those glasses,” I say with a goofy smile.

 

“If anyone looks adorkable it’s you. I’m loving this nerdy side,” he smiles back just as goofily.

 

"Get a room you two," Libby says, making gagging gestures. I kick her leg under the table.

 

Sure enough, after a few seconds of Jeremy vigorously shaking the capped tube, there is a loud popping sound and soggy yeast jets up toward the ceiling.

 

 “Ew!” Libby squeals as the mixture sprays onto her.

 

“I told you so,” I say with a smirk. Libby wipes a glob from her cheek and flicks it at me with a scowl. I laugh and block with the back of my composition notebook.

 

Jeremy got hit worst with the smelly goop. With a very grossed out expression, he grabs a paper towel and starts wiping it from his hair and clothes. Janie and I, still clean, stand back and snicker at Libby and Jeremy.

 

“You missed a spot,” I tell Jeremy as I brush my thumb just below his jaw. He shivers slightly at the touch.

 

“Thanks for the warning. You didn’t say it was going to literally blow up in my face,” he says sourly.

 

“Well, what would be the fun in that?” I retort with a giggle.

 

The rest of the students take the hint from us and keep a fair distance from the tube as they hesitantly shake it. Everyone else’s build up enough pressure to pop, but not enough to explode on anyone. The other substances mix without vengeance. Each mixture does a different cool thing; one makes a colorful convection current, another completely solidifies as soon as the chemicals incorporate together, and one is wet and goopy if you slowly poke your finger into it, but solid and rubbery if you quickly tap it. I am almost sad when the bell rings, signaling the end of school.

 

“You still up for showing me some of your art?” Jeremy asks as we mosey on down to the student parking lot.

 

“Of course,” I reply. “Meet me back at the house.” I give him a peck on the lips before getting in my car with Janie and Libby and speeding home.



© 2023 Zoey Balderston


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

131 Views
Added on March 31, 2014
Last Updated on October 24, 2023


Author

Zoey Balderston
Zoey Balderston

AZ



About
I'm a girl who absolutely loves to read, I often got yelled at to put the book away by my teachers. I am a huge art geek. Anything to do with art I'm all for! I write and draw whenever life allows tim.. more..

Writing
The Dream The Dream

A Chapter by Zoey Balderston