Date with the Devil

Date with the Devil

A Chapter by Zoey Balderston
"

Chapter 32 of Love from Above

"

You know, being slung roughly over a shoulder and carried off into oblivion is not as fun as you may think. Almost immediately after being taken, the swaying motion of the demon’s steps have me ready to hurl all over the procession of small red men tailing us.

 

I am slammed into a stone chair in what appears to be a throne room. With all this being tossed about, I’m bound to be covered in bruises by morning. I look in front of me to see an ornate throne carved from lava rock surrounded by liquid hot magma (Anyone else say that in Dr. Evil’s voice?). A man, human looking enough, lounges about the chair. He seems to be about my age and very attractive. Though I know better than to fall for it, what with the Devil’s ability to change form and all.

 

“Welcome Kelsey,” he says in a voice smoother than butter and more compelling than the sweetest lullaby. It’s no wonder Adam and Eve fell into his trap so easily. I pull Jeremy to the front of my mind, his face, his voice, his touch, so that I am not taken into Satan’s well laid trap. I take a deep centering breath and meet his gaze defiantly.

 

“So, I’m sure you already know why I’ve brought you here,” he says, eyes like butterscotch boring into my own.

 

“You mean why you lured me here,” I reply with a hint of acid on my tongue.

 

He clucks his tongue, “Yes, well I’m sorry we had to do that, but it was the only way I could have this chat with you. We both know you wouldn’t have visited me on your own terms. You were so dismissive to my messengers.”

 

“And for good reason,” I interrupt, glaring.

 

He purses his flawless lips. “Yes, well, our views differ slightly on that matter. I am only thinking of your happiness. Even you have to admit, joining me is a far better option than falling.” He smiles crookedly at me, trying to break my resolve, “So what will it be? Will you join us and keep your human pet, or will you refuse and I get to keep him?” His eyes flash wickedly and his grin grows to show a sharp set of fangs.

 

“Sorry, but no. I can’t join you,” I reply, according to plan.

 

Satan circles me like a vulture. I squirm slightly in the chair as he winds up behind me, out of my line of sight. Suddenly, his face is inches from my neck, inhaling, breathing me in with his hands braced on either armrest. I flinch in spite of myself, shuddering as his soft chuckle skitters across my skin like a startled cockroach.

“That’s really too bad,” he says, snapping his fingers and stepping away. Two of the demons who carried me in twist my arms painfully behind my back, pulling me up from the chair.

 

“What’s going on? Let me go!” I say, beginning to panic.

 

“Well, you see, your little escape plan didn’t work.” His boyish features melt away as Satan reverts to his true form, a skeletal, soulless monster.

 

Didn’t work? But everyone left when I was caught.

 

“You don’t really think we would have left our only leverage unprotected, did you?” he says with a wicked sneer. Somewhere in my gut, I was afraid something like this was unavoidable. “So, since you tried to deceive me, I’ve decided that now you get to watch him die. It seems like a perfectly reasonable punishment, wouldn’t you agree? And now I have your little angel friends too, what ever shall I do with them?” Satan taps his chin contemplatively with a claw tipped finger.

 

As the guards begin to drag me away, I pull forward with all my strength. Falling to my knees, I cry out, “Please, no! I’ll join you! I’ll do whatever you want, just let them go free!”

 

“I don’t think so. Actions have consequences, my dear. You’ve taken advantage of my good will in offering you a deal and tried to deceive me. You've lost your chance to save him. Throw her back in the cages.” He flicks a hand at me dismissively and the guards carry me back to spend my last few moments with the one I love.




© 2023 Zoey Balderston


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

135 Views
Added on March 31, 2014
Last Updated on October 24, 2023


Author

Zoey Balderston
Zoey Balderston

AZ



About
I'm a girl who absolutely loves to read, I often got yelled at to put the book away by my teachers. I am a huge art geek. Anything to do with art I'm all for! I write and draw whenever life allows tim.. more..

Writing
The Dream The Dream

A Chapter by Zoey Balderston