Torek and the Yellow Eyed Visitor

Torek and the Yellow Eyed Visitor

A Chapter by Adam L Sinclair

He had struggled tirelessly all through the night, his ankles and wrists left raw and bloodied from the tight chains holding him to the ground. His head was a mess of pounding pains and a loud ringing, he kept falling in and out of darkness. He could not place the time of day, light shone through the panelled slits of the barn he was being held in, morning or midday he did not know. Torek could hear Brillo scratching at the barn doors, he found comfort in that.
Torek had not expected a trap, he had underestimated the villagers as well as the situation. He could not help but laugh at the fact that he had wandered into the village without the slightest of apprehensions. He did not know what was to become of him, his fate was entirely in the hands of the villagers. He held little hope for himself, the villagers had bested him. He was exhausted, Torek fell back into darkness.
Brillo's barking woke Torek, he did not know how long he had been asleep for. Light still shone through the barn walls, but it had shifted, A few hours maybe. He wondered who the mutt was barking at, at least he knew that someone was coming. He was prepared to explain himself if need be, if he even got the chance. The barn doors opened, Brillo charged in and jumped up onto him, the mutt was expecting a playful tumble and looked confused as to why Torek did not satisfy his desire. The mutt walked over his chest and sniffed around the giants head, he was happy to feel the mutts lively breathe on his face. He could not lift his head to see who had opened the door, so far they had stayed silent. All he could see was the roof of the barn, his head like the rest of him was chained down. He decided he had best speak now. “ Is anybody there? Please, there has been some misunderstanding. I do not wish to hurt anyone I just--” he was cut off by a mans voice.
“Quiet now! You will get your chance to talk beast, besides your mutt you have another visitor it seems, be quick about it.” the barn doors closed.
Torek could hear slow footsteps and the crisp clanking of chainmail as the visitor approached. This was another thing Torek had not been expecting, Visitor? Who? What do they want? Before he could speak his visitor gave him a soft kick to his side.
“What is your name Giant?” he did not sound to be from the village, he spoke clear but with authority.
“Torek, my name is Torek”
“And? Is it true what they say, that you attacked this poor trader and stole his caravan?” he asked as if he already knew the answer, but did not believe it himself. He seemed to not really care.
“No, I did not mean to frighten him. I was looking for my brother Brillo, he ran off in the night. The trader left his caravan, I was trying to bring it back to him.” he tried to be brief, he sensed his visitor had little patience for rambling.
“Mmmh....”, grunted the visitor. Torek was desperate for a reply, he wanted to know if this visitor believed him, if he could maybe help him. He could not actually see this visitor, but Torek could feel himself being examined as the man slowly circled him. The man spoke, “It makes no difference to me whether or not you stole from this trader, despite this I do not believe you are even capable of committing such an act. A giant that can speak is a giant smart enough to know what is right and what is wrong.” Torek did not know what to make of this, he remained silent. “These villagers wish to burn you, they will give you fair trial, but they will burn you. They do not see your value, I however do. Do you understand what I am trying to tell you?” The man moved his face in view above Torek’s head. The man had a scarred face, dark olive skin, a mess of short dirty blonde hair, and yellow eyes. He did not know what to make of his eyes, he had never seen yellow eyes on a man before. “Do you follow? Or should I--”
“No, I understand. You wish to help me, but why?”
“A clever giant too no doubt. Alas, no matter how much information I choose to share with you regarding why I would rather see you live than perish should make no difference to you. I am offering you life, will you not take it?” he could sense the man's tone of bewilderment. Torek had no other choice.
“Yes.” he was flushed with relief, but he was nervous for what this agreement might have bought him.
“Good. The trial will begin soon, we must leave now.”
“Leave?! Ha! Can you break through chains tiny man?” Torek began to laugh to himself, he knew it had to be a jape. How could this tiny man help him escape from this mass of chains keeping him pressed to the ground.
“If you are to travel with me Torek you will have to learn that pure force as an arsenal is limited. This world is full of wonders.” Torek then realised he would also have to learn how to make sense of what this man was saying, he spoke much different than the villagers. He could hear the man cluttering through a pack of some sort, he could hear glass clinking. Then he heard a quiet pop, like the pulling of a cork. He could smell a strange smell he could not quite place, all he knew is that he would rather not smell it.
“Now lay still and quiet.” said the visitor, Torek could barely hear his voice but he decided to obey.
All was quiet, then he began to hear a slight hiss and his nostrils started to sting, he knew something was burning and he started to panic. “What are you doing?! What's that smell?!?”
“Lay still giant! Or your skin will be burning next.” It had been a while since Torek had been talked to in such a manner, but he did not mind it. His visitor seemed to be of an authority, but he could sense a kindness.
He could hear the hissing moving around him as the yellow eyed man moved around, stopping at every chain that had held him down. The chains did not feel any looser, but he dare not try and break free just yet, not until his visitor told him to do so. He waited to be told what to do next.
“Try and pull free from the chains, they should give.” he was now leaning over Torek's head. “Pull, now!” Torek knew he had to move fast.
He pulled at the chains, tensing his body and pushing his chest and arms up towards the ceiling, he could feel the chains slowly tearing apart, the links stretching. He pulled until one of them finally broke. Once one was broken each chain became easier and easier to free himself from. Torek was finally able to sit up, he could see his visitor standing by the barn doors. “What did you use to--”
“Shhh! Quiet” he had his ear to the barn door.
 He saw that this yellow eyed man wasn't dressed like any of the villagers he had seen. He looked well traveled, he had a small pack on his back from which hung ropes, hooks, several daggers as well as a bow with a bundle of arrows. He wore loose chainmail, beneath it his clothes were a mismatch of different colours and fabrics and even from a distance Torek could see he was wearing supple leather boots and gloves. His belt was lined with pouches and hung loosely around his waist, an ornate short silver sword pulling one side down. His visitor slowly creaked the barn doors open and peered outside, he then walked back over to Torek.
“The villagers have gathered for the trial, we will not be able to leave unnoticed. We will only be able to catch them off guard, by creating chaos.” he was whispering now.
“What must we do?” Torek had completely forgotten about Brillo, he looked around and saw him asleep on the hay covered floor.
“We must burn it down, the tree line is just behind the back wall of this barn. We shall burn this barn down and break through the wall and out into the forest before it collapses.” Torek could see a dangerous flame in his visitors yellow eyes, it made him uneasy.
“Burn it? With us still inside?”
“That is what the villagers had planned for you, but you would have still been chained to the ground, and covered with lamp oil. This is the only way to cover our tracks and not be followed. Can you break through that wall?”
“Yes.” Torek was more than skeptical, he wasn't sure he could break through it.
“Good, now get back against that wall and keep a hold of that mutt.” He walked towards the barn doors, barred them shut and began to pile hay bundles and scrap wood in front of them. He laid his pack on the ground and produced a metal tin that had been wrapped in leather, he placed the tin below the pile and pried it open with a dagger. Smoke poured out of the tin and a glowing hot orange and black ball rolled into the pile igniting it instantly. Torek had never seen anything like it. The fire roared, his new yellow eyed companion darted towards him and Brillo at the back of the barn.
“When shall we break through?” ask Torek.
“When the flames reach the middle of the barn, it will not take long” The flames were spreading quick.
“I do not know your name friend.” he had only just realized.
“For now my name is Quick Finger, it has been known to change from time to time.” He smiled, it had been the first smile Torek had seen in a long time. “Are you ready?”, He gave a nod. “Now!” Torek threw his body repeatedly against the wall, the walls were weaker than he had imagined. He thrust through on his fifth lunge and fell out onto the other side, he scrambled clumsily towards the tree line. Quick Finger was close behind, they made their way deep into the forest leaving behind nothing but flames and smoke.









© 2013 Adam L Sinclair


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on March 19, 2013
Last Updated on March 19, 2013


Author

Adam L Sinclair
Adam L Sinclair

Stirling, Stirlingshire, United Kingdom



Writing