Quick Finger and Torek

Quick Finger and Torek

A Chapter by Adam L Sinclair

The Giant lumbered in front of him, he did not look back, he did not flee, and he did not speak. He thought Torek might be afraid of him, How could a creature of that size fear the likes of me? Even though this Giant could turn around at any moment and tear him limb from limb with the utmost ease, Quick Finger was not fearful.
   
They had been fleeing for three days now, they had barely slept. Quick Finger had made sure they were not being pursued by the villagers of Stump. He back tracked several times and saw no trace of villagers, he had spent more time looking for traces of that of the Rider. The thought had never left his mind, he felt somewhat safer in the company of Torek, but never had he been so aware of his surroundings.
   He had made the decision that he needed to make for Right Harbour, there was no hope for him whilst he was being hunted. The only path before him was the path of the sea, the Vanishing Sea. Many had ventured out into the mist of the sea to find what lies beyond, and those who returned were said to be cursed with madness. Right Harbour had been home to Quick Finger for a number of years and  he had always been tempted to join one of the many crews who spoke of what could lie beyond the mist,
Endless possibilities or a watery grave, is what would go through his mind when he heard the mad sailors persuasions. He had been happy though, and thought no reason to leave, but now things were different.  The rivers would lead him through Wet Valley and to the bay, but he knew he would have to first travel to River Gate. The only way for safe passage through the valley river would be to buy his way onto a heavy hull, and the only place to do that would be River Gate.

   River Gate had been a prominent trading dock before the War of Industry. Left in ruin, bandits quickly moved in and began to charge trader hulls for safe passage. Their illegal pursuits proved extremely profitable and River Gate is now again a highly active port, but with toll prices ever increasing. The one thing this toll could guarantee is safe passage, one thing land routes can scarcely offer, and if Quick Finger needed  anything it would be the thought of being safe.
    However the road to River Gate is one Quick Finger would rather not take, they would have to pass directly through Branch Bridge. Even with his new found companion he feared the endless tangled labyrinth that is Branch Bridge, despite being plagued with grotesque poison wielding tree goblins the forest is said to play tricks on the mind. He had made the mistake of travelling through it when joined his first company, him and 2 others were the only to survive out of a company of 30. Most were claimed by crazed delusions of evil that infected their minds and drove them to the depths of the river. Others were claimed by the tree goblin's poison tipped arrows,
The lucky ones, reflected Quick Finger.  If it were not for the circumstances he would have ventured north to Lemon, but the less time spent travelling the better.
     
    They had stayed off the trader route since leaving Stump but had only now just met with where it reached the river, this is where it ended. Some traders would cross the river into Branch Bridge, others would travel along the river and north into Wet Valley, most continued north. The river was white, loud and roaring, it spoke to what might be across the bridge that laid before him. He almost had a mind to head north, but he knew it was best to be in the thick of it rather than out naked in the open, where the Rider could so easily pluck him from this world. He thought it time to let his companion know of what laid ahead, “You know what lies across that bridge Giant?”
  “Yes, but also no. I have only heard.”Torek did not meet eyes with Quick Finger, he just gazed across the river. He could see that the Giant knew enough to be frightened.
   “You have stayed with me this long. You could have fled, even killed me. Yet you have stayed, I ask for you to stay with me now, but there is nothing I can do to stop you leaving.” his words were genuine. The Giant still gazed.
   “Do you know of any places Giants live among men?”
  He was about to answer with a jape, but he had to answer carefully. He had never heard of such a place, and he doubted if such a place existed, but if he wished for Torek to continue on with him he would have to tell him what he wanted to hear. “River Gate is know to be accepting of many different kinds. I
have not seen giants there, but you are not like most giants are you. I am sure they will see your worth, as did I.” he hoped he would not need the Giant any further than River Gate. The Giant broke from his long gaze and looked down onto Quick Finger, his eyes sodden.
   “You would not lie to me, Quick Finger. I do not wish to be cast out again. Too long have I dwelt in the forest. I would like to be part of a town, I wish to help people, I have but only kindness for those that would receive it.” He could see that the  Giant was a creature of good intentions, he could only hope that something waited for him at River Gate.
   “I will do my best to help you find what you seek, but there are conditions.” the Giant held a strong stare, Quick finger could see the deep set distress within this alienated creatures giant eyes. It was obvious that Torek yearned for a more fulfilling life, that made it all the harder for him to flip this desire on itself and make it work to his advantage.
Who am I to say this Giant cannot find what he is looking for elsewhere, with me behind him he might find acceptance, I will not see it through to River Gate without his assistance.
    “
I will go on with you, there is nothing for me here. Whether there is nothing or something for me beyond, at least this brief encounter has brought me some excitement.” Torek pulled his stare from his and crossed the stone arch into Branch Bridge.
   He watched the Giant lumber over and soon followed, halfway across he stopped for a moment. The white water blew a cool mist on his face, he was brought back to that moment of clearness he experienced back at the lake, all before the rider. The thundering hooves were pounding in the distance, he had almost stood for too long “Torek! Into the wood, quick!” he spoke with a clear authority. The giant moved with swift abidance, Quick Finger was right behind him. He could see Torek heading deeper into Branch Bridge, but he waited to see the approacher. The rivers fog was heavy, but he did not need to linger long before the Rider's dark black robes broke through the white mist. He watched as the Rider dismounted and began studying the ground. He knew he had best be away, but he needed to know if was travelling in a chase, the Rider could cross the river, or continue north. He watched the Rider with extreme intent, the robed rider took a few steps onto the
stone arch, Quick Finger stood frozen. His eyes permanently fixed. The Rider stood and stared, he did not know if he had seen him lurking in the brush, any closer and he knew he would not be able to escape. His mind fell blank, he was about to collapse into an abyss from which he knew he would not return, but the Rider turned his back, mounted his horse, and rode north up the river.
  Quick Finger gasped for air, he had not realised he had been holding his breath in fear. He took a moment to sit in relief, although he had evaded the Rider yet again, he would now have to face the mind bending branches and torturous tree goblins within Branch Bridge. He made his way to Torek who was not too far ahead, he waited before a thick, shaded wall of entwined trees and overgrowth. He knew he could not go back, his only salvation laid beyond this perilous product of nature and magic. He did not say anything to the Giant, he simply laughed and plunged into wilderness.


© 2013 Adam L Sinclair


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on March 19, 2013
Last Updated on March 19, 2013


Author

Adam L Sinclair
Adam L Sinclair

Stirling, Stirlingshire, United Kingdom



Writing