putting it away -- for now

putting it away -- for now

A Chapter by Lyn Anderson
"

Kara looks back and closes the book for now

"
She honestly never knew she was abused. She just dealt. She did not have any black eyes, or any scars you could see. There are scars only on the inside. She needs to know now she did the best she could with the tools she had at the time. She was not stupid or weak. She functioned because she had to, and now she needs to find a way to grieve the part of herself she lost, forgive her and move on. She talks to a friend, her mom, and she tells some of it to her counsellor. She opens a box. She puts the worst of it away. She writes a poem. She closes the book for now. Until she is strong enough again.

I need to go back and tell her
everything is going to be all right.
I need to let her know it won't be
like this forever
and in a few thousand days there
will never be another night
like the few thousand before.
I need to go back and tell her
it's going to be okay.
I need to hug her
forgive her
and let her go.
she isn't now and never was
a c**t b***h lying fat cow stupid ugly w***e
she isn't now and never was
and won't be any more.




© 2016 Lyn Anderson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Words are like toothpaste; once you squeeze them out the tube, you can't put them back in. The results are devastating. Great write!
Claire

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your kind review.
You poem tells a truth few want to hear. Our words are able to literally abuse our children and friends more so than if we hit them or cut them with knives.
I hear mothers and fathers treat their children like scum... They would kill anyone else for speaking this way to their children, but they can speak these word s without a thought... odd.
There is a manipulation with these insults as well. There is a bargaining of love and affection. There is a manipulation of control and power. There is a "yanking of the chain" to keep the child collared and leashed by their very hearts.
I wish more teens were taught to use their words carefully and lovingly. Instead, we see our children practicing this abuse with their friends and with the weaker children around them. Oh, I know we are all civilized and kind in front of people when they are watching, but behind the scenes, at home for parents, or when the adults are gone for children, we become savage far too often.
Well, I am ranting now... ha. You told a story well in this short poem and you prick the conscience of the reader with a sharp reminder.
Great write.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thanks for your "rant" and I think the most annoying question is "did he hit you?" Implying that as .. read more
 David Scott

9 Years Ago

Ah... Yes. Husbands and wives too. We tend to think we deserve an award if we don't abuse each ot.. read more
Powerful piece on a subject matter that is just heartbreaking... abuse in any shape or form is not acceptable.. though this piece you have constructed is....

Brilliantly penned....

YB

Posted 9 Years Ago


Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)
Beautiful author websites
Stop wasting time and money on Wix & Wordpress. Authors are creating beautiful websites with Myauthor.space FREE!
Word abuse is the worst. Can leave permanent scars. The story was intense in the poem. The closing lines bought the poem to a sad ending. I believe after the words are said. It is too late for take backs or forgiveness. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

yes, sometimes, some words just cannot be taken back. Those of us who love our words and chose not t.. read more
Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

My wise Grandfather taught me."Nothing good to say. Say nothing. Negative words and actions can caus.. read more
she isn't now and never was
and won't be any more.

An amazing poem - strong and powerful - and the ending seriously gave me goosebumps.

:) Julie

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Wow. Thanks, I appreciate that very much.
I think I enjoyed this one most of all your writes that I've read so far. There is a strong language here that accompanies strong feelings, and a feeling of realization and forgiveness, we say things in our heads that we would and should never say out loud because once we say them they become weapons.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Ahh yes, thank you. I know why you like it. You like words that are clear and emotional, and true to.. read more
she isn't now and never was
and won't be any more.

I understand this seemingly ironic phrase... more paradoxical perhaps than ironic, and only those with a particular mindset will understand why this makes sense. It truly does. The mind is such a sponge for lies and evil can make one believe that lies about ourselves are true.... lies that we can believe. Fed poison soup long enough, we'll come to depend on it. "You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness", is how the song goes (I believe).

You capture a great torture and the deliverance from. The final punch of hope at the end of the piece is a powerful one.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Spot on and right back at you.:) paradoxical truth. I like that. And I think a poem is inside there,.. read more
Oh if only we could go back in time and forge ourselves for the self abuse we shelled out from outside influences. If only…

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Yes, well, back in time is not an option, and not one I would want at this point. Thank you for the .. read more
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

9 Years Ago

Tis my pleasure.
We grow and wish we could tell our former selves it will all work out. Your poem carries the extreme weight of abuse. If only she knew there would be a light shining out of the darkness. This truly touched me.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much. I am glad it is reaching more people than my writing usually does. It is kind of .. read more
Hard to respond to this one, KL...but it's very well done, and I can feel the genuine emotions and experience you're expressing here. I hope that the poetry is helping you work through your pain.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thank you. That is the idea.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1688 Views
30 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on May 13, 2014
Last Updated on September 8, 2016
Tags: abuse, divorce, fear, anger, loss, angst


Author

Lyn Anderson
Lyn Anderson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada



About
I write under a pseudonym. I don't do Read Requests, but you can PM me if you want me to read something specific. I make friends with people who I read and interact with. I won't accept random reque.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..