Fallen(part 2)

Fallen(part 2)

A Chapter by Armanis
"

The homeless elves

"

It was but a few days into the march. Men, children, women and elves marched alongside a single dwarf and single orc. The Kuai named Kridrik. After almost a full year, Cardur the captain of the guard deemed it lost. Though it survived several sieges over the year, damages were made to the walls, and the houses were no longer repairable. No one felt safe, it was in the murmurs and silent whispers of the commoners. Commoners of both the men, and of the elves. Kac, Yara, Yun, and Lorana were at the front.

Cardur and Kridruk right behind them and by the dwarf's side was a young man, as a boy he could no longer be called. His name was Geff. He was one of the few who came back from the scouting trip to Felldur that fell. He can still recall the events that lead to Galad’s demise. He remembered Galad screaming as one of these spider creatures wrapped him up in his web. It still haunts him. He was no longer a boy for he grew up on that day, when he entered Felldur to confirm its demise.

The fortress was covered in white web. The gate was shattered, and where there was iron remained eight slashes. Galad went in first, cautiously ripping the web out of his way. They were on a quest to persuade others on this side of the world to come to Malitu and leave with them. It was obvious when they entered the city that the quest is impossible. They saw soldiers, men, women and children on the ground. One such victim was a beautiful woman who was sitting against what was at one point a stone wall. There was no light in her eyes, but that did not shock the scout troup.  There was a cavity in her chest. Inside the cavity were broken ribs, and red web.

Geff squinted his eyelids as he felt a strong arm against his back. He quickly turned to see Kridruk, who pushed him forward. “I know mourning iz common among humanz, but know that there iz light. Unverduz allowed uz the time to ezcape. We will zee thoze rezponsible brought to juztice. You can be zure of that!” the kuai said.

“If Unverdus is so good why do these atrocities continue to occur!?” he argued. “My family, theirs,” he pointed to those who only grabbed a sack for travel. These were men women and children who lost their homes. Unverdus was to be their shelter. They lost their families. Unverdus would care for them unlike any other parent. They lost their precious belongings. Just like their dead families, they were to bring nothing but what was necessary.

“Well_” Lorana began before she was cut of by Kac.

“Unverdus is testing those He created. Now I understand you are human and demand answers and I believe like us you deserve them. He wants to see if we are willing to go through this grand trial and are still willing to believe in Him. I witnessed Unverdus himself. I have seen many miracles in my life. I should be dead. Yun can attest to this. I will tell you that no one knows what Unverdus is planning, I certainly hope the prophet will answer our questions when we get to Paxis.” he sighed and looked to the heavens which darkened in the sun set. The stars nor the moon shone tonight. “Things normally have a way of coming back together in the end, The attack of the serpent, due to one’s actions there was some peace amongst the nations. During the reign of Decrepantaur Kora whom you have seen destroyed his body, and for the last four thousand years we have lived in relative peace. A temporary solution however, you have seen the result of Decrepantaur’s return.”

“What is the will of God?” Geff replied.

“Considering that it is the dawn of a new age, which we know little about it might be safe to say judgment. He may be weeding out those who wish to stay in his Hell and take those who have lived long enough. He may be creating something different. It is an assumption but maybe He has deemed it necessary to destroy everything and everyone to restore peace but I do not really know. Perhaps it is for the prophet to say.” he said grimly. “Perhaps it would be a good time to sing.”

Unverdus will set us free

Like the shepherd to his flock

We to be laid down

By the green pastures


To listen to the waters

To listen the the seabreeze

That is to be ours

Our wind and our drink


Forgetting the past is best

The fallen need not water

Nor do they need grass

No longer are they


The breath of life is no more

not in the dead but us

We who are accursed

Hold that breath of life


No gem nor stone can replace

Those who were and now deceased

Nor blossoming buds

Can replace the void


Empty it seems to the end

The hour glass shatters now

The sun sets on us

We who are accursed


Unverdus will set us free

Unverdus is with us now

He carries our dead

To the gates of home


Death ascended upon here

Dead ascended to their rest

Their heavenly rest

Dead in pain no more


The elves remained quiet, except a few who placed their musical mouths on their flutes as they walked. The elves listened the first time through before joining in. It was a sad marching song, one of their few songs of death. The men listened, and cried. Behind them all were Kora, and Yana. The two most powerful beings...or so Kac thinks humbled themselves at the back of the line. For protection only. Though Yana spent the most time away from home, she cried the most. Wishing upon wishes that she spent more time in the land of Kinasa, before the evil of the drow took it over just days ago.

The elves began singing to the sound of flutes. In their tongue of course, and in unison. It brought life to the trees of the spring, helping them bloom. Unverdus is with us! Kac thought. He put his bow away as he joined in the singing.

Cardur put away his ax, and pulled out a small drum with deerskin. He played that as he marched. He did not sing, nor did Kridruk who pulled out a trumpet. The trumpet played, through his loud and deep voice, made it sound much more like a tuba. It was of orc make, which would explain its different sounds.

Most men did not play instruments, but those that did had flutes, small drums and trumpets. Many of the rest sang along with the elves, joining in their sorrow, for they are not the only ones who lost homes. All were loud, and their songs echoed through the once magnificent forest, reaching the ears of the dead, and reaching down the ruins of Sterilus, blowing again through one of the seven trumpets.




© 2015 Armanis


Author's Note

Armanis
criticism appreciated

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

171 Views
Added on December 15, 2015
Last Updated on December 15, 2015
Tags: elves, dungeons and dragons, God


Author

Armanis
Armanis

Revere, MA



About
I am a fantasy author. I do some writing of poetry and short stories under a different name. My writing takes place in the dungeons and dragon world but in an alternate universe since my story doesn't.. more..

Writing
Prologue: Gamble Prologue: Gamble

A Chapter by Armanis


Royal Brood Royal Brood

A Chapter by Armanis


The Unholy Tree The Unholy Tree

A Chapter by Armanis