Fallen (part4)

Fallen (part4)

A Chapter by Armanis
"

Finwe, Assassin Siblings

"

Finwe, Gilrein and their sister Maranwe went off the road after promising to Maya Truva they would search out Irenue in Zabiobad. First they would have to go through Felldur, one of the guarded cities, but they could easily sneak through as travelers, but first...stay off the road!

Finwe lead his siblings through the brush of the woods north of the Glenwood road. They had been going straight on through the week, with little or even no sleep some nights. They passed Malitu, one of the villages occupied by large numbers of elves and men. When he saw it he did not realize what they were doing, but it seemed like mass exodus. Still not risking the road, for the assassins were after them as well. Not just the forces of good...because they could not kill Kac, they are wanted in all corners of the earth. He knew that, and he intended to keep his siblings safe, even if it means embracing this new dangerous ally...Irenue.

One night...Maranwe collapsed just as the sun set. Everyone knows the assassins move at night. Gilrein went to see if she was okay as Finwe ran behind a bush, glancing at what is behind. Maranwe fell from exhaustion, and her sister saw to her aid. Finwe was less concerned with her well being as he watched the wind move the leaves. They were no longer in the cover of winter.

“Finwe.” Gilrein grabbed his shoulder, startling him to a gasp. He did not take being hunted so well. “Maranwe collapsed, we need to take rest! If we move another step she will die.”

Finwe glanced over his sister's shoulder to see Maranwe, breathing heavily. She really will die...but so won't she if the assassins catch us. “We must keep going.” he said, still looking at his frail sister. “Sipus will send his people to us. We cannot stop. In the morning when they do not travel will we rest!”

“Damn you Finwe!” she said, grabbing him by the collar of his armor. “She is going to die if we move another step. I do not have the tools for this...and there is no spell for what she has. The body needs to rest, her body is at her limit. She moves...she dies!”

“If we do not move...we all die.” he sighed.

“Watch over us as we sleep then brother” she offered. “But I tell you...it will take more than a day for us to get our strength up, and you brother, are no good exhausted. If by some instance we meet them on the road...in our condition, we might as well as let them bring us to the chopping block! We cannot hope to stand against a single man, let alone an entire band of killers. Let us rest!”

“N...no!” he said, pushing her off of him. “I will not! We must go!”

“Then go if you must! But I am staying 


here with my sister. You Finwe, can go and die in the wilderness, and let them think the rest of us are dead.” she said, glaring into his eyes. “Be gone you filth! You traitor!” she pushed him over the brush, making a little noise.  

“Without me, you will surely die.” he said, standing up. “You will not last the night when they come.” he turned his back on his siblings, and walked away from them.

He walked further away from the road, until sudden wind pushed him on the ground. He grunted and stood back up.

“Fool! What do you think you are doing!?” said a voice.

Finwe looked all around him to see what was speaking. He saw nothing but the wind blowing all around him. He continued walking...as if this strong wind was normal. “Go back! Back! Now!” said the voice. “You fool! He needs all three of you!”

“Who are you...Maya?” he asked in the air. “Where are you? Did Kac kill you?”

“No...it was something...more.” she replied in her ghostly voice. “I am dead, but Irenue can still use you. He needs all three of you for the plan to work. “

“Can you promise our safety...the three of us?” he asked her. “Will we stop being hunted?”

“You will never stop being hunted.” she said to him. He could scarcely see her ghostly body leaning up against a tree. “But I assure you...you will live longer with Irenue. Who else will take you? The assassins hunt you...and can you take refuge from those who you once hunted? No. And the world will hate you, therefore, the guards of their cities  will arrest you and bring you to the chopping block. The only protection are those of Irenue's. Only he can give you total protection...but at a price.”

“Why do you speak now of this price?” he asked of her. “Where is your mask?”

“I wear no mask Finwe.” she said to him. “The price is not of mine, but of his. What he will ask of you I do not know, for he is greater than I and I do not know of all of his plans.” she paused a moment, to study his face. “Vircona will also hunt you for she hunts all elves, and will burn them. She commands the drow, the entire drow army is at her fingertips, and she will not hesitate to kill the three of you. Out of everyone, she alone is whom you should be afraid of. Not Irenue.”

Finwe leaned up against a tree behind him, studying the faint image of Maya, the ghostly adulteress of deception. The immediate threat...the assassins have the hammer, and are close behind. The Rangers of whom were hunted by him will shoot him down before he got near to speak of peace. The guards of the cities will bring him in only to introduce him and his sisters to the chopping block. The drow will burn them until there was nothing left, like they did to all of the other elves who refused to accept their ways. The only choice was with Irenue of which offered something but the consequences were unknown. He was the only way. “I will turn back. Get my sisters, they are adamant about resting but I feel differently.”

“Go and rest with your sisters, travel tomorrow night.” she said to him as the wind took away her form.

He took out a pipe from his pack and began to blow smoke into the air before he turned back. He went over to his sisters, one of which was still sleeping and the other crying, her face buried in her hands. He placed his hand over her shoulder. “I am here to stay, and we will rest. I will stand watch tonight. We rest till dusk tomorrow.” he said to her.

She looked up from her hands to see the sorrow and fatigue in his face. “Thank you Finwe.” she said, pulling his arm down, leaning on it like a pillow. “I lay myself to sleep now. Like mother used to do to us.”

Mother. Sipus...you deserve to die! He thought to himself. Their last parent was murdered by Sipus, and that was what threw him and his sisters in a life of murder! He created them. Who he be much different now if Sipus had not killed his mother? Probably. “Good night Gilrein. Sleep well, may the stars give you peace.” He watched his sister cradle herself to sleep, resting in the dust of the ground. He took a seat with his back against a tree. He wiped his eyes of tears as he remembered the blood spilled in his family.

The sun set into a rainy night. His father away on a scouting trip, and his mother just putting his sisters into bed. In his youth...nearly half a century ago he still remembers her smile...how he only wished he could see it in front of his face...feel her soft skin and warm presence. Mother.

Then it was his turn...off to bed after a late night snack. He threw on his green pajamas and headed into bed. He knew his mother would stay up late as she always would...reading the Good Book as she always did. He lay himself to sleep...letting his mind occupy him with dreams.

He woke with a start, below there was a ruckus, like the throwing and flipping over table tops. He rushed down stairs, and ran into the living room which looked like a tornado made its way through with everything ripped open smashed and splintered. He looked on the ground to see a trail of blood leading into the kitchen. He followed it to see his mother being tossed on the eating table by a cloaked man. He watched the large man dip his forefinger into his mother’s blood and draw a five pointed star around her. He pulled out a dagger and cut through his mothers chest, allowing the blood and insides to pour out. She did not scream for she was already dead.

“To Decrepantaur...I gave you what you asked for. Give me what I ask for! Please!” the man cried out. He cleaned the blood off with his cloak.

Finwe looked from beyond the door, hoping he would not be seen.

“Drink from the blood of the elf.” said a powerful voice. A voice so strong it shook the room “Then you will have what you seek.”

The man cupped his hands and dipped it into the hole in the mother's chest. He brought up the blood to drink it without hesitation before he collapsed onto the floor. Finwe approached to see the blood flowing through the cracks of the hardwood floor and the flesh of her mother decaying, leaving nothing but bones.. He gave a sob before going to the knife rack in the kitchen. He quietly approached the man, the knife quivering in his hand. The man did not move.

So Finwe took the bread knife and brought it to the man, thrusting it through his chest and  ran upstairs to wake his sisters. He pulled Maranwe, who was small enough to carry. Gilrein had to be shaken. “Up up!” he demanded.

“Why Finwe?” Gilrein rubbed her eyes and looked out the window.”It is dark out. Mother will beat us if we leave before the sun rises?”

“Mother is dead.” he whispered in her ear, softly enough so the younger one wouldn't hear. Gilrein gasped and nodded her head.

The three went down the stairs to see the man with a knife through his chest. His eyes were red, and not with anger but of pure evil. A man evil enough...he would gain demonic characteristics. The knife was still in his chest when he smiled.

“Which one of ye three do I need to thank for this...mark?” he said, pulling the knife from his chest. The wound healed itself  at once. There was no blood on the blade. “Speak now...or I will kill all three of you...starting with the youngest!” He pointed the bread knife to Maranwe.

Finwe gave Maranwe to Gilrein before stepping up. “I did it.” he replied. “I thought you should be dead...for killing our mother.”

“No. You see child, Decrepantaur gave me the greatest gift of all through your mother's blood. Immortality. I cannot die now, and will live forever. None can kill me.” he tossed the knife to Finwe who caught it in his hand, The edges cut through his palm letting some bleed out. “Now...you can hide from the law...or you can hide from the law with me...join the Assassin's Guild young ones and you will be safe there...one thing for certain...the law will never stop hunting you.”

He turned to walk out the door, but stopped before closing it.

He remembered his last words. The law will never stop hunting you. The words stung to his heart. He knew it was true. The Assassin's Guild protected him...and now they have forsaken him. The only hope is to seek refuge with this Irenue, whoever that is.”Maya, your spirit had better not trick me...or I will do the unthinkable.”




© 2015 Armanis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

230 Views
Added on December 15, 2015
Last Updated on December 15, 2015
Tags: Assassin, Wraith, Demon, pain, immortality, Adventure


Author

Armanis
Armanis

Revere, MA



About
I am a fantasy author. I do some writing of poetry and short stories under a different name. My writing takes place in the dungeons and dragon world but in an alternate universe since my story doesn't.. more..

Writing
Prologue: Gamble Prologue: Gamble

A Chapter by Armanis


Royal Brood Royal Brood

A Chapter by Armanis


The Unholy Tree The Unholy Tree

A Chapter by Armanis