Fallen (Part 4)

Fallen (Part 4)

A Chapter by Armanis
"

Constable, the city of Kenderhell

"

The sun rose red, and the burning of bodies stopped. Constable looked at the hill of the burnt corpses. The many dead, and the many that will be to come. When will this madness stop? It has been long since he has been of peace of mind. Too long. When will this be over. Parts of him believed it would not be over while he was still alive...and longer till when Grento decides to make its fall. Over to his side was Leryk, his adopted warrior to be.

Leryk also looked at the destruction from the earlier week, feeling of completeness followed him as he placed his hand on the hilt of his sword, short by man standards but of good size since he was barely old enough to even hold a weapon. Young, but of sense of oneness. He could feel the sense of pride from his master, Constable as he placed his hand on his pupil.

“Boy, you will be a great warrior. Do not forget that the sword you wield is no more than an extension of yer arm. Be prepared to strike at anything. Who knows what lies from beyond the beyond.” Constable told him as he sighed. The veteran pulled out his weapon and brought it to the boy's chest. “Defend yerself!”

Leryk jumped back and parried the Large sword with his puny stick of iron. Constable's overwhelming strength kept pushing the iron blade down into the ground and swiftly pulled the blade up to the neck of the boy.

“Keep your stick off the ground boy!” he shouted. “Already...I would have killed ye ten times over ten!”

“You are too strong for me commander!” the boy complained as he was pushed on the ground.

“Strength does not matter. I have killed Kuai who have ten times ten my own strength. It is not strength!” he shouted again.

“But what is there but courage.” Leryk stared at Constable who was speaking but no sound came out.

“Strength is not the answer nor of brute force. I tell you...there are other ways to beat an opponent.” said a soft voice in his head. “Truly I say unto you...believe in me and there is nothing you cannot do!”

“Who are you?” he asked.

Constable stumbled backwards as he was asked this. “What do you mean boy! I am Constable! You know who I am!”

“I was not speaking to you master...not to be rude.” Leryk replied as he looked up at the sky.

“I am Unverdus! The God of your father...and the God of the elves...what is left of them.” his voice shook the earth. “Believe in me Leryk, and everything will be alright. Lean on me and you will do the impossible. Be my tool...be my weapon.”

Constable looked at the sky and threw his sword at it, screaming. Leryk nodded.

“Your strength will develop over time my son.” Unverdus replied. “Trust in me in the coming years my son, and you will fair far better than your sister.”

My sister? “Where is my sister Lord? Where is Artaiya?” he asked.

There was a crack of lightning as the storm clouds rolled over. It began to pour. “She...she has made her choice.” Unverdus sobbed.

The iron of Leryk's sword began to rust as Constable went over to Leryk.

“Constable!” Unverdus said.

“Show yourself! Show me something real!” he shouted. “Show me Lord! If that is who you are! Show me!” he cried out to the heavens as if continued to weep.

“Constable,” Unverdus answered. “If I show you...will you believe me? Or will I become the knife in the drawer, something as important as everything else. Constable...I created you. I molded you while you were in your mother's womb. I had you in mind before you were conceived. Will you believe?”

“I can only believe in what I see.” Contable answered softly.

A light came out of the storm clouds as it continued to weep. The light was bright and yellow like the sun as it came to the unbeliever. It began to mold itself into a humanoid shape with pointed ears. “I created the Heavens and the Earth. I put every star in the sky and know them by name. Constable...I chose you to come here when you did. You are my commander...the one I placed in charge. Will you lead the armies to fight against the Darkness?”

Constable wept. Why have I kept my heart cold these years?! “Yes Lord.” he answered.

“Will you call my name when things are bleak? When the darkness surrounds you and nothing seems to go right...will you call my name? Will you call my name as you fall?” These are the words of the Lord.

“Yes Lord.” he cried.

“Will I be the one to welcome you into my kingdom?” Unverdus opened his arms.

“Yes Lord.” he answered as he hugged the bright light.

“Lead my armies Constable. Your life will no longer be lived in vain. You will know what it means to be fulfilled!” Saith the Lord. “You will be complete my warrior. You are the human I choose to fight. Through you many great things will be done in my name. Amen. Farewell warriors of the light. You were never forsaken.”

The light disappeared, and Unverdus went up to his heavenly realm for further work in the kingdom. Constable knelt on the ground, burying his face in the mud to pray. Leryk did the same.

Lord, thank you for answering the prayers of the lost. Keep us safe Lord. The boy prayed.

“Go into the barracks Leryk. You trained hard enough today.” Constable said to him. The boy listened, and did not say a word. He simply nodded his head and left. “Let the past stay in the past. This world does not own me...Decrepantaur...why have you become the prince of the earth?” His speech was mumbled as mud filled his mouth. He clenched his fist as he took his head out of the mud. “Decrepantaur...as long as I live...and as long as there is an elf in existence, let this be my blessing to the earth...this kingdom you have built will not last.” He stood up from his kneeling position and went to the barracks to rest. “Jurea...I need you now more than ever. Be safe...I cannot do this alone.”


Jurea leaned on her staff in front of the council. Ahead of her was another elf wearing a white cloak, with a staff, white as the snow and a thick edge used for a mace...so it would seem. “Ladies and gentlemen of the Council, I urge you to act now!” the elf replied. “If we do not seek help from the other nation Core Crest_”

“No Luthien! We are more than capable of handling our own. It is time for Kinasa to fall!” the chief mage said. “elves...in all your agelessness you know not the enemies you created. Luthien...you're elf kind will fall. We have seen it. Decrepantaur...the one we have feared is coming again. More powerful than ever before. With allies more stronger and in greater number.”

“What are you saying Dendur?” the elf replied. “When the last kingdom of men fell...who was there to pick them up? None other than the elves of Kinasa. When the dwarves blew their horn for aid...who were the first to answer their call? None other than the elves of Kinasa. Our Rangers_”

“The elves can help all...but you fail to help yourselves. You can demand no help from us wizard. I tell you this now...the last of the wood elves have fallen.” Dendur said to her. “The men of Grento are hardy people...and we with the power of the orc will stand against Decrepantaur.”

“Dendur...you foolish man. I have seen in my visions a group of men traveling with the surviving members of the Ranger's Guild. I also see children, men and women travelers with the pointed ears. Elves. They are stronger than ever before. Lead by Kac Xaizan...who has received his status as Guild Master once again.” Luthien retorted. “Truly I say unto you...if you do not move past your selfish ways...and lend a hand...not only will the elves fail at their job as caretakers of the nations...but Grento will fall. The enemy I have seen is at the doorstep, Grento will be the next to fall. Your capital...will be nothing left.”

“The men of Grento and the orcs here will hold against Decrepantaur.” Dendur replied. “Besides...you have nothing to say. You will not have my help here Luthien. Leave us.”

“Dendur. I will leave here today. But you say you can hold against Decrepantaur...he will put dams in your reservoirs...and flush you out in the open. When the time comes...this nation will have an army...whereas Decrepantaur will have hundreds of armies at your door step. You may fight off an army or two...but you cannot hold against them all. GRENTO AND EVERYTHING IN IT WILL FALL TO THE POWER OF THE DARK LORD! Including everyone in this council!” The elf turned around and left. Jurea could feel an elbow to the chest as the elf walked passed her.

Jurea walked forward as the council members who sat on large ebony chairs. Each cloak was covered in tassels...some for their accomplishments...others for the place of which they are from. And one large one located in the chest with the emblem of the Wizard's Guild, commonly called the Wizard's Council.

“What is your name? What is your purpose?” the wizard named Dendur said. His beard was graying, and grew to the middle of his chest. It was split in half with two bands to reveal the emblem on his chest.

“My name is Jurea...she replied grimly. “I have two things to report. One of which is the attack on Kenderhell. Kenderhell_”

“Has fallen. This we know wizard. How dare you bother us with such petty matters...we have wars on top of wars we are fighting. We do not need news from places we know not exist.” he said in a hostile way, ice in his voice.

“But_” Jurea tried to get her word in but to no avail.

“But nothing!” he said coldly. “Now if you have nothing else to report leave! This is a busy council and it can not be bothered! Leave!”

“I have yet another.”

She felt a force push her backwards. “Young fool...think you can play with fire can you...well ye shall be burned! Leave Jurea...such a child like yerself has no place among us.”

“I tell you...Kenderhell still stands.” she turned and walked away slowly hoping Dendur would stop her. He didn't. She walked outside the guild hall and into the city of Jerto. The Capital. People chattering, mumbling distorting the peace that was. The clip clop of horse shoes hid the squeaking of wheels that carried passengers.

She looked down at the bottom of the steps leading to the street. She beheld the elf wizard sitting down with her staff crossing her lap, her hands buried in her face. She stepped down to her.

“Sit down young one.” the elf said to her as if she knew what she was thinking. “Tell me...do you see a future for you? Do you see any?”

“How do you mean?” Jurea asked, taking a seat next to her, who lifted her head up revealing eyes red from crying. “We have heard rumors...Kinasa fell. Malitu the Traders town was left in ruins. The city of Sheris, Capital of Shiro fell in under a night. They are just rumors...are they not?” she questioned her own wisdom. Her own luck.

“Those rumors...are true.” she replied. “I was there when the city of Sheris fell. I was there when Kinasa was doing things she should not have...under the instruction of King Gergo...who now lives in constant nightmares. Inside Kinasa...are not elves...not anymore. They have been corrupted by the evil spirits from underneath. Inside an Amulet...they are no longer themselves...though some of them have embraced Decrepantaur, some of them now blindly follow him, and do not know whom it is they now serve.” she sighed. “Malitu was attacked by some records by wraiths...servants at the right and left hands of the Dark Lord himself. It lies in ruins. We live in a very dark time. Kinasa is gone...and most of their inhabitants. Zinasa now lies to the south...the next target of the Dark Lord. Do you see a future for you?”

Jurea put her hands to her mouth in shock. “I...I can...I cannot believe that. The elves...in every story they come out to bring hope into the world.” she sobbed. “Does this mean...”

“I do not know...but because the elves always bring light back into the world...it would make sense to corrupt us...to destroy us first. Then...when the only source of good and light in this world...he will destroy the inhabitants of the world. Starting with the men. Dwarves care only for their mountains. He knows they will not put down their shovels and pick up the ax to help when you are gone.” she said. “If only we had a warning could we hope to stop it...but we cannot. It is all up to Unverdus now. Let him hear us. Let him hear our prayers...we are all going to die.”

Jurea could not help but feel pain with this women. “Elf...who are you?”

“My name...is Luthien Luinwe. Former Priestess of Unverdus.” she sobbed.

The priestess...who is supposed to have the greatest faith...below to the prophet despaired. Her spirits were at an all time low...she became depressed and it was obvious. “What can we do...” her voice trailed off as if to say something else.

“Something seems to trouble you child.” Luthien said. “What is it?

“It is just...a few nights ago, during the siege of Kenderhell, there was a man. His name was Constable, and lead the rest of the town to victory. Only he and I felt some...bond to each other. He seemed to be full of energy and much stronger than before. I have never in my life seen a man cut down as many orcs and undead things with ease as before.” she said.

Luthien raised her hand but kept silent for a moment. “Did you notice a change in yourself?”

“Yes...and no. I felt as if I was connected to him in some way.” she replied. “I feel it more being here, and he there. I feel incomplete here, as if he is my other half.”

“I have read about such thing...one of those obscure lessons in history, dating so far back not all of the books describing it are whole.” Luthien answered. “It was...what was it called. I cannot remember, but it was a concept of placing a wizard into a warrior. The wizards who have gone through this transformation...which has not happened since the first war do not experience any known benefits, but the warriors attached to them do. They get stronger, faster, and far more durable than any man...” she paused as she studied the ground. “YES! THANK YOU UNVERDUS!” she cried out into the air. “I prayed...and he has answered. It will not be the elves who will bring light back into the world...but it is the men. Yes...you and your friend...Constable I recall you naming him are the answer to the fight against the dark forces. The best part...is they do not know you exist!”

“There is hope?” Jurea replied. “Unverdus, the great God above have called me and he to bring a stop to this madness?”

“Yes child. You are the answer. We are not fallen anymore.” it began to rain. The rain filled puddles and flowed into the streams. Luthien put her hand in one of those puddles. “What be your name?”

“I am Jurea.” she answered, looking down at the puddles.

“Bow your head.” Luthien requested and she did so. Luthien brought the hand of water and poured it over the young woman's head. “I, Luthien Luinwe announce you...Honorary Elf-friend. Fight against the darkness.”

Jurea felt an amazing force flow through her veins and into her heart. Her arteries tingled with excitement. Her heart was beating harder than she ever remembered, and beating faster. She clasped her heart with her hands and bent over coughing. She held herself up after her symptoms subsided. “What happened to me?”

“You have an angel with you now. With you...and Constable. He has chosen you.”

“But I, and he are not without sin. We are not perfect.” she objected. “Why would Unverdus want to use people such as us?”

She laughed. “Child...” she said. “Unverdus does not choose the strong or the brave, he picks the weak and the fearful. A strong man can do any task...but he likes to see the incapable do amazing things!” she said in a happy tone. “Please...let us be off. We will go and find this...Constable.”



© 2015 Armanis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

237 Views
Added on December 15, 2015
Last Updated on December 15, 2015
Tags: constable, evil, fallen city, dungeons and dragons, Wraith, orc, humans, wizards


Author

Armanis
Armanis

Revere, MA



About
I am a fantasy author. I do some writing of poetry and short stories under a different name. My writing takes place in the dungeons and dragon world but in an alternate universe since my story doesn't.. more..

Writing
Prologue: Gamble Prologue: Gamble

A Chapter by Armanis


Royal Brood Royal Brood

A Chapter by Armanis


The Unholy Tree The Unholy Tree

A Chapter by Armanis