Mysterious help

Mysterious help

A Chapter by Armanis
"

Kenderhell is under attack and when all hope is lost, prisoners escape, the guards have all been murdered by the orcs. One person arrives, and saves them all. No one knows what this person is.

"

Chapter 17  Mysterious Help

Jurea and Luthien were walking the long route, it was early morning, with the sun barely rising. Many of the clouds thinned out over time, but the sky was still dark. The sun did not reveal its bright yellow light, but it was more...red. The skies were lightly tinted red, with a shade of blue in the distance, and even farther than that, the sky was gray. Luthien looked at the sky, feeling uncomfortable she said, “Let us take off the road.”

And so they did, not wanting undesired attention. Walking on the uneven wilderness, she could smell the blossoming of flowers, hear the bees buzz until they landed on the flowers, to suck their nectar. She and Luthien took their time, walking very slowly, despite the need to hurry. Jurea was oblivious to the change in the manner of natural order.

Every passing bush, she put her hand over it to feel its realness, feel its real touch, to appreciate it. To appreciate the natural beauty fully, one must touch. That is why only so few wizards can claim the status of druid, and those that manage are elevated to beyond that. She did not desire the status, but merely to appreciate it. She knew she would either die, or the natural order would cease to exist amidst the coming wars, this world’s landscape is destined to change.

Every pine tree she passed, she touched its rough skin. She admired its ability to change and grow. The strength of a tree is stronger than all that come before it. It can break rocks and boulders, and remain unchanged...if a scratch is to be had upon its armor.

Butterflies danced around them, blowing their sweet little kisses. Squirrels would scurry up the tree, gnawing at their acorns, stopping only to observe the peaceful intruders. Birds would swoop to and from branch to branch, keeping watch over the wood, making sure these new things would not disturb their nests.

Jurea paid close attention to where her staff was touching. She desired that the natural order be left as untouched by her flawed hands as much as possible. She felt it fitting than an elf would be able to touch it, she was too close to the original form from what all mortal beings were supposed to be. It seemed fitting that she should be allowed to touch it.

“I touch it because it is home to me.” Luthien said to her, suspecting why she did not allow her staff be used as a third leg. “I assume you do not mess with the natural order for it is the only thing close enough to the perfect entity that exists in this world. Though I am part of it, if you refrain from touching it then so shall I, but you are as much part of this world as I am. You can use that stick to walk, than uncomfortably hold it over your shoulder.”

She was right, the staff did bear a much more uncomfortable feeling as she held it. One hand holding it in place, while the other was feeling around nature. It presented an undesirable challenge, an unnecessary one.

“Besides, you are likely to lose control and hit me with it. I would not appreciate that.” Luthien said, turning her head sharply to the younger wizard. Her pony tail flipped on the other side of her shoulder. “Be patient. We will be there soon enough.”

Jurea was growing impatient, despite the minor distraction the calls of the wild were giving her. Why oh why had it not distracted her more. The call of duty was calling louder like a whistle in her ear. She began to walk briskly…

“Stop JUREA!” Luthien yelled. Jurea stopped, turning to the elf who was briskly walking to catch up to her. “Unverdus has control over everything there. Do not disturb the wild. Speed is important, but preservation cannot be done overnight.” she pointed to the flower bed in front of her. It was a flower bed of lilies, dandelions, and tulips. She almost trampled them. “This bed would have been destroyed had you taken another step. This one thing seems so small to you but this area of the wood depends on it. If you had destroyed these flowers, where would the bees go to drink their nectar? Elsewhere, which starts a spiral effect of the world. Without this nectar, the forest itself would begin to unravel itself. It makes a difference Jurea. This small thing...keeps this large picture in check and stable. You almost single handedly destroyed this ecosystem. A small thing...a powerful thing...yet more fragile than peace.”

“I...I am sorry Luthien.” Jurea looked down, blaming herself for her actions. By herself, in such a fragile existence, she would never suspect that she could be responsible. Yet the natural order she knew to be fragile...just not easier to shatter than glass. The natural order indeed is such a frail thing, yet very beautiful and very powerful. Roots of trees can easily snake its way through the paved roads, the bricks, and inside houses very easily, claiming man’s territory. Of course only men would think to pave roads, and leave nature unchecked; those that did would see how powerful and treacherous the natural order can be...and now it is unraveling. “Such a frail thing. Surely the effects of the nature can be easily thrown off its course.”

“Such a fragile entity...nature. However, if one starts to take nature off its wheel, it is not as noticeable as looking at the ripples as you toss a pebble in the lake. Observe the ripples, Jurea. What do those ripples do?” They continued to walk together, Jurea thinking on the analogy of ripples.

“They disturb the water…” she said with great uncertainty.

“And…?” Luthien pushed her further, as they came out the other end of the wood, standing atop a plateau. At the bottom was another plain, sands, the marsh and floods of rain.

“The ripples…” she said, observing the phenomenon of so many different climates at her disposal. “Flow to the edges of the body of water it inhabits?”

“Yes!” Luthien said, slowly descending from the plateau. “The pebble represents the implant of chaos. The ripples are the chaos you see, and what does it do? It reaches everything around it. I will tell you this, yet everyone should know this but they do not think they know. Nature is everywhere...in the air you breath, the water you drink, the food you eat. It touches everything, therefore it is inevitable that all things will feel its downfall.”

Jurea followed her. She knew, yet she was not aware she knew until Luthien pointed it out.

They observed smoke in the distance. It had to be from Kenderhell. It had to be. This was also where the sky separated from red to gray. “Luthien!” she exclaimed. “Kenderhell...we have to hurry.”

“Yes… I know.” Luthien’s face went blank. She was staring off into the distance. “So it really is true…” her eyes gaped open wide as she stared into something. “The dead rise yet again, alas the sea of rain, flows into our bane, this quest will be in vain.”

“What do you see?” Jurea turned to her, as they began sliding down the plateau, running through the heavy winds and rain. They put up their woods and began at the bottom. “LUTHIEN! WHAT DID YOU SEE!?”

“Nothing that you can handle.” Luthien said grimly. “For I doubt I alone can. Go into the city, find your friends and help them. They will need it, and I will see what I can do to prevent...more from entering the city. “I will collapse those tunnels...or should I merely block them...and offer a buffer?” The last statement was to herself obviously, until she turned to Jurea. “What are you still doing here? Get going! Your friends need you!”

Jurea ran through the rain and the sludge towards Kenderhell, only looking at Luthien once more, as she was heading in a different direction: North East. Clearly going towards the epicenter from where it all began, Glutua, there was no doubt in her mind that is where she was heading, and the cause of all of this.


Corplus, Studly,Kreftic, Arien and Valiet were leading families away from their homes, and rushing them in the barracks. The armory was pulled out by Arien, who always stood proudly, despite any doubts he had of his nobility. He was much like Knitly in that manner, proud, but never boasting. Kreftic on the other hand always complained about Corplus, who was depressed, yet held some sort of humor in his tone. Always sarcastic. Studly was the only one who seemingly stayed silent to himself.

“There is not enough room here, Valiet.” Arien commented, looking out the window, seeing orcs, and kuai raging through the city. After the moon was hidden late last night, the orcs stopped focused on Constable, who was still struggling to keep the orcs at bay, no one knew if he was alive or not. “What do we do?”

“Of course, I have a solution!” Corplus said, raising a finger in the air, pointing to the ceiling. “Give weapons to the men, and children old enough to wield.” Studly looked at him with a look of horror on his face, and Kreftic had a look of disgust, as he brushed his silver hair to the side. “They are all going to die anyway, better sooner than late.”

“You disgusting fool!” Kreftic said. “How dare ye, they are children, they cannot be expected to go in and fight, they will cower like lambs to the lion!”

“Ye cannot say that!” Arien replied, punching him in the face. He was knocked to the ground, as Valiet was ushering the older men in a corner. “Put the women and children, lock them up. Keep them hidden.”

The few soldiers there did just that. They put them in cells, these cells were not meant for long term storage. And clearly they could be seen, however, orcs were stupid. Kreftic and Studly pushed desks over the cells as the cell door was locked, and the key tossed through the cell. Another desk, and Corplus began grabbing some wood, normally meant for campfires, and hammered them to the desks, not meant to keep them in place, but meant to hide the children.

“Have you thought ahead as to what we are to do after we lock ‘em up?” Arien asked, keeping his voice to a whisper so none could here. “I understand we are to lead orcs out, but what of Constable? There is little hope here. What about Leryk? He is a strong boy, could we not free him from his prison?”

“That is no possible.” Valiet replied, solemnly. “I can only hope that Unverdus will forgive him of his sins, and then release him of his chains, allowing him to escape. If I went down there with a key, I am sure I would not come back, that prison is going to collapse, thanks be to Glutua and his balls of fire. That prison is likely to collapse with him in it.”

“We cannot leave him for dead!” he replied.

“I fear we have no choi_” he was interrupted by Kreftic’s yelp of pain. Apparently, Corplus had dropped a desk, landing on his foot.

“Damn you Corplus! I am going to peel the skin off yer skull and shove it down yer throat hole, making ye choke on yer own face!” he yelled as Corplus backed away from the desk he dropped.

“Please Kreftic, if ye are going to swear, please make sure the children cannot hear you. Also, if you are going to threaten the man’s life in such a graphic manner, please by all means necessary, refrain from doing it in front of the children. They have enough to worry about.” Arien commented.

Kreftic grumbled, as Studly had a look of amusement on his face. “Please keep your voice down.” Valiet said silently, peeking out the window, seeing orcs roaming through the city in greater numbers than before. So he is dead then...but I do not see that Kuai. He turned to see the structure, keeping the women and children hidden, yet futile as it seems. He knew all too well the smell of an orc was all too great to keep hidden from them, but perhaps that the barrier would provide a few moments for them all to make their peace with Unverdus as they ascend from one world into the next. “Just a few more moments.” He turned with sorrow and despair in his heart. “You men, who have had nothing to live for, nor love for your wives nor your own existence, today I am giving you a purpose. Should we fail outside, and orcs make their way in, you must fight to the death, to protect your wives and children. If none are left to live, they will live. If none are left to die, they will die. You have not had a purpose until today, and now I have given you one. A man with a purpose, will be able to withstand almost any how.” He let out a sigh, as the orcs went roaming through the city, hearing distant screams. He could hear the thuds of hammers and clubs, splatter and clatter. The mind of those suffering were of those things. “It is time. Studly, make sure to close the door on yer way out.”

The five exited the barracks, Studly closed the door upon hearing the whimpering of children, women, and even worse...the men. Their whimpers were far louder than their children, and their wives. The strong men of society were the weakest of them all, and the strong already left to fight, and themselves will find the courage to pick up that sword, while the veterans lived, fought and died for them.

Valiet, lead the other four, who were lightly armored, or silent killing, and to escape unnoticed. Valiet already knew it was too late to prevent Kenderhell from being taken, the ceasing fireballs confirmed that to be true. Glutua would soon enter the city himself. These five brave souls, were willing to risk their lives that afternoon, to face an army within their home, and a dangerous servant of the enemy.

“Take to the shadows, but be aware.” Valiet said, looking to the smoke that was at the gate. “Arien, take to the roof tops, and provide cover for them, make signs, no verbal commands at all. Silence is key!”

“And what of you?” Arien replied, looking at the wavering faces of the other three.

“I will go to the front lines and find Constable. If he is alive, I must find him.”

Arien climbed windows under the cover of the light, with his bow, scouted the regions. He could see the slain men. Men with half eaten faces littered the streets below,  Blood smeared all over the walls, and women laid on the ground, holding their newborn child. They looked peaceful enough, if it was not for the blood stained cloths, and the pools of blood, which turned into rivers flowing through the alleys between buildings and houses. He wept.

Corplus lead with Kreftic behind him, and Studly in the back of him, walking through the rivers of blood. It would not be long before all that was left, was the remnant they kept in the barracks. It would be all that is left.

They followed a group of orcs down, into the center of the city, where many orcs were still crawling out of the sewers, covered in sludge. Arien could see numbers piling up faster, and faster. There was no army they had to match it, nor was he going to test his luck by shooting an arrow in the cloud. They would immediately know where he was, and no doubt know where the other three were, and they would be doomed, and have a hoard of orcs swarm over them like bees on honey.He sighed very softly and made a sign towards the other three, who backed away from the sewers. They met in an already ransacked tavern, which already had its share in bloodshed.

Arien sat behind the bar, pulled out a tankard and chugged one of ale. The others followed suit, and Corplus raised his tankard, “A toast...to the end of existence.” They all silently agreed, with the exception of Arien who was still thinking.

“Are we to sit ‘ere and drink us to death!?” Kreftic said rudely. “What kind of mission is this! Constable would have us_”

“He is dead. Likely. And so is Valiet. They are both dead if they wound up at the front of the gates. It is only a matter of time until Glutua walks into the city, and we are all dead anyways. Why did we even let those children, women, and men into the barracks, who are defenseless anyways. Those sewer systems, were our weakness, and we didn’t even know how to defend against it. We had no idea that there was a way into the city at all, outside those gates. Now that they are all open…”

An orc came crashing through the door of the inn. The four of them continued to drink paying little attention to the lonely orc, swinging his warhammer. Kreftic looked and sighed. “Come on you scum from the dark, send me into the abyss you call home!”

The hammer hit him in the side, cracking his ribs, but he wasn’t dead. He did receive a blow, and Arien walked over to him to help him to his feet, he pulled out his sword and parried a blow from the brutish orc. Corplus, and Studly did not make a move, but poured another tankard of ale. “Givin’ up already?” said a soft voice. Thwang! An arrow pierced the orc’s head, knocking him on top of the two men.

They all looked at the door, and there stood a woman, a ranger. Her hair was as brown as the dirt she walked on, her eyes blue, and a face full of adventure, They all gazed at her in astonishment, as if someone from the great depths and beyond came to free them of their despair. “Surely the hearts of men will never falter, why has yours!?”

She turned around to look outside, seeing if there was any attention to be gained from her entrance. Satisfied, she looked back to the injured man. “Take him upstairs will ye, I will join you in a minute.” The three men carried the injured Kreftic up the stairs of the tavern, and sat him on a bed, which stunk with blood, as it was earlier someone’s deathbed. He grunted as Corplus took off his armor.

The woman joined them in a minute, after hearing some ruckus downstairs. Her face was covered in sweat, and her quiver was full. On her side was a sword with a reddened hilt. “He got hit with the warhammer did he not?” she laughed as Studly nodded. She walked over to him, and put pressure on his wound. He grunted in pain, and almost screamed but she put her hand over his mouth, and spoke in a language they did not understand. “Give it a few moments. No harm will come to you.”

The pain in Kreftic’s left side receded. He sat up, and the other three watched in awe, though Studly was still suspicious. “Who are you? Where do you come from?”

“Such questions will have to wait, but I come from the eastern lands if you must know that much. I normally would have held my ground until I saw a rather large force of orcs coming out of Cadrasar. I followed the hoard as I was deemed to by my master, and so I did. Found myself in Bristole and Topuka, and followed them here, where I sat on a hill, silently observing. It would seem you need to fix your sewer systems after tonight.” she replied.

“I do not think there will be an after.” Corplus explained to her, the irony of the heart of men, bearing almost any how. “There are only four of us left.”

“Yes, about that. Why would you give false hope to those inside the barracks when you have none? Hmm?” she replied to him. “Also, do you not have an entire prison filled with capable people?”

“Did that not collapse?” Arien asked.

“No it is still stable, I would not run down the halls if I were you but still, there are many there who can still fight! and fight they will.” she said, peeking out the window again.

“It is no army to match hardened orcs!” Kreftic replied. “They are not murderers in there!”

“You do not arrest murderers? What is wrong with you?” she said in condemnation. “Why do I bother helping you people!?”

“Well, there is at least one person in there that can fight. He was recently arrested. Shortly before the siege began actually.” Kreftic said.

“Who is that? and can we trust someone who is in prison. They are there for a reason!” Corplus replied harshly.

“Leryk.” Arien answered for him. “He can be trusted, he is a but a boy with a stained heart.”

“Now that is something. Off to this prison we go.” the woman said.

“No! We must wait for cover of darkness.” Studly said, thinking of the suspicious woman. He was unsure if he should trust her, despite her saving their lives. He was a paranoid man.

She immediately slapped him. “Are you mad? The clouds may be thickening upon us, however, we can only hide in the light from these creatures. They can see you as plain as day when the dark reaches us, when not a torch light flares, no candle light is flamed. They can see in the dark, without light, you however cannot.” She glanced out the window, then pointed to Arien. “You, take me to that prison, and if the rest of you are too frightened, you are welcome to stay here.”

Arien nodded and went to the door, opening it for the new, even flamboyant addition to their party. “You are welcomed to join us,” she said looking back to them, the frightened soldiers. “Unless you would rather your scent and whimpering attract those flesh eating creatures to you, and have to fight that up here, be my guest.”

Kreftic was the first one up, following her to the door, despite a minor pain in his side. Corplus sighed as he went behind him, and Studly hesitated, keeping both eyes fixed upon the woman who still did not give them her name, neither did they give her theirs.

They walked silently down the stairs, and beheld a sight that was not there when they went up stairs. Limbs were scattered over tables, internal organs strewn across chairs and the bar. Unless it was too be clean thoroughly, no one would drink from there again. However, what some of them noticed, outside the newly red painted walls, was that the limbs did not belong to men, but orcs. Studly counted each orc head he found when they approached the door.

Twenty! Twenty heads of twenty orcs were splattered over the tavern. In such a short amount of time, this woman killed them all, and still had time to rip them apart? Even with that sword, it would be almost impossible. She was not that large a person either. How is this possible!

“Please do not mind the mess.” She said passing through the doorway.

Sure, now she tells us! Arien thought to himself. He looked out the window, and a similar drawing was drawn. He saw bodies of orcs, bleeding out, rivers of their blood was spilled over the paved streets. She did this? So were some of them frightened that they ran for cover, that the orc roaming into the tavern was not by chance, but an accident. He did not find us by chance, but he found us because he was running from something.

Many bodies were laid against each other, over one another. Some wielding swords, others dropped their shields for it was a weight they did not need. It impeded their speedy get away from this ranger. Parts of the roads were fully covered in the dead, lost souls crept underneath, those of the evil heart, and...those of the children.

“The path is clear with the dead.” the woman said, smiling as she stepped over the bodies of the dead, taking no notice if it was human or orc.

“Clear with the dead,” Kreftic repeated. “Did she leave anyone alive in the city?”

Corplus opened his mouth to speak but no words could escape his mouth as they began climbing over a large hill of orcs. Many orcs had indeed entered the city, which would explain why so many piled up. This woman was made into a weapon against the enemy, a powerful one.

“There are still more entering the city last I checked. I did not have time to eradicate them all, nor seal all their entrances.” she commented. “Many are dead, that much is true, however, the sins of this city has created a monster. The sewers which I cannot handle alone.”

“What?” Arien said, as he jumped down from the hill of the dead, and taking the turn down the street which had the prison on it. The prison door was opened, not broken open, but ajar, as if someone forgot to unlock the door.

“The beast inside, from you feces and urine. You do not leave your insides unchecked! especially when so much of it is unholy as it is. “You must never let your insides get the best of you!” She said aloud as she entered the prison. Many of the prisoners cowered in the corner, knowing what happened outside, hoping that no orcs would come to them. It was ironic that they did not try to escape, because the cell doors were open. Very peculiar.

They went down the second flight, and to the other end of the hall. Here they noticed the walls on the side were lightly cracked, not too severely, however the creaking grew louder with each step they took. The prisoners cowered in their cells, trembling in trepidation.

They walked to the third level underground. The cells were bent out of shape, and impeded the travel from one side to the other end. The walls are greatly cracked, and the floor was broken up, with shards of rock sticking up.

“Watch yer step.” Arien said, keeping his hands on the bars as he navigated his way to the other side. He saw Leryk who buried his face in his hands, and his shackles were released, not broken. “Leryk, open your eyes.”

Leryk did, he saw Arien, one of the few adults who always appreciated his company, more like a loving uncle than a the disappointed father Constable was to him. Elgath his father was a good man, as a father even. He only wished he saw him more than he did. Father. He took the hand of Arien and was safely lead out, and onto the staircase. He noticed Kreftic with his hand on his side, Corplus with a look of relief, and Studly who was staring at this woman, a young and fair woman by the looks of it, besides the smudge of dirt on her face.

“So this is the man whom you arrested?” she asked in irate. “Who is responsible for this! He is merely twelve! What is wrong with the people in this city! You do not arrest murderers but you have no problem locking away a boy?” She slapped Arien.

“It was Constable’s command.” he answered.

“The fool who challenged a kuai by himself? Is he the one?” she asked.

“Yes.” he replied. “That sounds like him, is he alive? You did see him?”

“Last I knew, the others were hopeless when flanked. Their armor ripped to shreds, much like the flesh of Constable, the righteous soldiers.” she said, making for the stairs. “Stupid humans.”

“You speak as if ye are not one?” Arien followed right behind her.

“I am not.” she answered, leading them out of the prisons, and back into the city, charging towards the gateway from whence they all came, towards where Constable was last scene alive.


“Glutua told me about you. Conztable the great! Conztable Conztable Conztable!” Hruthpar said, bearing his flail right on top of the soldier. His armor was dented in many places, the plate caved in, restricting his breath. Constable had not taken any real physical injuries...yet. “Conztable must die!”

Constable fell on his knees. He fought many men before today, many of which were physically larger, and man orcs who could overpower him. Never before had he the misfortune before today to come face to face with a Kuai, whose strength is considered legendary. If there were more like this Hruthpar, which he thought there were, an small army of them could walk through Kenderhell, right to Jerto and destroy the world of Grento in a single night. A kuai captain, now that is something new altogether.

His shield crushed his arm, and his sword arm was already too battered to lift anymore. He stared up at the Kuai, observing the mayhem behind. Corpses being picked at by the crows and vultures from the sky. They moved the armor, and picked at the fresh, pulling the delicious goodness that was living flesh. He could see pieces of flesh dangling down from their beaks.

The club came down, and he heard a cry. He observed an older man push the kuai away from his killing blow. Constable saw it, it was Valiet. He fell backwards, using the corpse behind him as a pillow for he could do no more fighting tonight. His body was breaking.

I will not leave you sir. You came for us when we were in the most dire need. You came when no one else did. You could have left us after the first siege but you remained faithful to us till the very end. Now it is our turn to remain faithful to you!” Valiet said to him, turning to the Kuai, who looked at him with bloodlust. “I will not let you kill him. Not like this.”

“You are a feeble old man! How can you ztop me!” he roared. “You are but one, and only one!”

An arrow flew through the air, striking the kuai in the leg. He reacted very slowly, but it was a reaction nonetheless. Both turned to the gate and saw a man, more heavily armored than Valiet, but less so than the rest that had fallen. He was worn with fatigue. “Well, I leave to find help, no help is coming and this happened! Valiet, where is my wife and children?”

“Your wife was murdered when she worked one evening. Your son Leryk, is in prison, I have my doubts as to whether or not he is standing. Your daughter, sir was never found.” he answered.

“A sad day indeed.” The man with a full brown beard said. “Very well, I am tired, yet work there is to be done, and I will not rest until that work is finished.”

“Then, Elgath, let us be rid of this kuai together. The rest of the orcs are in the center of the city destroying everything that lives. There will be no distractions.” Valiet said to the man, who got on the opposite side of the kuai, bringing out his large battleaxe.

“Aye, let it be so. Then together we will fight to the end, till the time of masters is over.” Elgath replied, raising his weapon for the first strike, and it began.

The axe was swung, only to be parried by the kuai’s flail, who parried the older man’s sword with his club. Again and again they swung, staying on both sides of him, they never allowed the kuai the chance to strike. They moved on the battlefield, the two men always careful to stay on either side of the kuai. If it was allowed to strike, it might prove fatal.

The kuai, jumped away, getting himself out of the flank, and brought his club towards Valiet, striking his leg. There was a large snap as Elgath swung his axe at the kuai, impaling its back. The kuai screamed and swung his club, hitting the man in the face, sending him backwards.

The great orc placed his hand on its wound, as close as it could, and cried. Its cries turned into a great roar as he dropped his flail, and took his club in both hands and swung it at Valiet, who was on the ground, crushing his skull. Valiet is dead.

Hruthpar took both hands, wrapping it tightly around his club and charged at Elgath, who braced himself. The ground shook with his tremendous weight, and the strength of his pushing on the ground. It was almost impossible for the fatigued man to stay stable when he was run through by the kuai.

Elgath was knocked on the ground, and his axe flew out of his hands. He crawled for a nearby weapon, a dagger. He managed to pull the hilt from a fallen soldier before his collar was grabbed with such tremendous force, and slammed back on the ground. His armor dented, and with one free hand, he began to loosen the leather straps until his metal plates fell off. He was pulled again, and the kuai swung the club, hitting him in the ribs.

In the distance, though his vision blurred, he could see six humanoids running towards him, and the orc. Four adult men, one child, wearing rags and a sword on his side, and one woman, who had her bow fixed upon them. That is my little boy! Leryk! You can tell me everything that has transpired here since I left. I should have stayed longer, and perhaps this would not have happened. I will....I will finish it here! He took the dagger and stabbed the forearm of the Kuai, who dropped him.

He could hear buzzing of arrows fly by him, and he used the opportunity to take the dagger and impale it in the orc’s chest, to compliment the six five arrows already piering its chest. The dagger struck home, but it could not go deep enough. It roared, and pulled it out, and began crawling away. Elgath used the opportunity to grab a larger weapon, a warhammer. He swung the warhammer on the giant kuai, but a series of arms covered in decay grabbed him.

“ARGH! he cried, slamming the arms instead. He beheld, the dead that littered Kenderhell rising once again. Men, women, children, and the orc. “DAMN YOU!” he cried as the other six arrived. Leryk, his son went right to Constable.

“It is too late for me.” Constable coughed. “It seems, it is for you as well.”

Behind Leryk, the fighting already began. The woman took out her blade and swung it faster than his eyes could keep track of. Arien screaming with utter hatred in his heart, “Begone ye servants of the darkness! The fires from the abyss awaits!” Corplus sided with Studly, and both said nothing as they focused on the fight, and Kreftic kept his eyes fixed upon the dead returning back to life. “They all came back to life at once! Leave them at peace you decaying souls! I will find ye Glutua, and I will put yer head on a pike ye blasphemous scum!”

“No, no, no!” Leryk cried, his tears raining down on his crushed armor. “You cannot die! You have brought this city out of darkness and into the light. Even if your heart was dark, it is full of joy and love, and the light! What are we to do without you?”

“Do not let the plague prevail against the light. The dark must reset itself and despair come morning. Even those dark clouds above us are only temporary.” he coughed up more blood. “Keep fighting Leryk. Nothing more can I teach thee. I lay myself to sleep.”

“NO! Stay with us please!” he cried, but he heard the last breath of Constable sigh itself out. He wept a little more, and his father only looked to him once, before returning his attention to the dead, who tried to bite him.

“There will be time to mourn Leryk, my son.” he said, crushing the skull of a man he probably once knew. “Not now.”

Leryk stood over the body of Constable, clenching his fist while his tears came soaring down like comets on his teacher. He tossed one hand in the air in despair, and pulled out his sword, and screamed. Despite the distraction of the enemies around them, they noticed that the streets were completely congested in the dead, who were walking. Behind them, was the army of orcs who were not dead, for their faces still bore the expression of bloodlust, not the blank expressions of the undead.

“Well, Ha! It has been fun serving with you all.” Corplus said, slicing the head off of a former comrade.

“We are not dead yet you pessimistic prick!” Kreftic said to him. “I...am not...dead yet!”

“We are but mortal men, doomed to die.” Elgath said, crushing another skull, his tunic was covered red with blood and internal fluids as well as the physical organs of creatures he killed, whether they were intestines or brains, it would not matter, it all looked the same.

There was a blinding light, shot at them from the distance. It moved slowly, but dazzled many of the undead, especially those around the party of seven. The seven were relieved when that light blew, because all of the undead within a thirty foot radius was burnt to ash, and then there came a cloaked wizard. A friendly face, a familiar one. It was Jurea. “Mainly the dead I now see, this much I can handle.” she walked over to Constable as the undead approached, she penetrated the ground with her staff, and they were covered in a bright light, in a dome. The undead who touched it burned, and were no more.

The undead ran, and were pushed into the light, burning before their very eyes. With the fired of the burning dead came the hope that was filled within them. The spell could last only so long, but it did. It gave them just enough time to kill the undead, and refocus on the living orcs that were behind them. The strange woman, ran right into the chaos killing with her speed and strength as if it were a roaring river.

Leryk and his father, Elgath charged right in again, killing many that turned on the woman, and the four remaining men joined in, preventing a total flood of the enemy upon their hopelessly outnumbered comrades.

Jurea knelt beside Constable, and put her hand on his chest. She dropped her staff and let it fall. With her free hand, she began to undo the straps of his armor, and pulled it off. She could feel the crushed ribs underneath his skin, but could also feel breath from underneath. She let out a sigh of relief as she knew he was just tired. “Such a relief you are not dead. That would not bode well for me, or for you for that matter. Rest now Constable. You will need it.” Her hand glowed over his chest, the white glow transferred into his body like veins.

She glanced over to the fight, realizing it was going well, she rested. She felt satisfied, that coming here at such an opportune time was very fortunate. Any sooner and she might have joined the dead with Constable, and they would not have had this advantage, truly this was a gift from Unverdus, though not having this cup altogether would be much more preferable.

The last orc was slain with Elgath’s warhammer, and the six of them regrouped with Jurea, Leryk still read with tears. He was still weeping over the fallen. His father had his arm around him, to comfort, of course hw did not know Constable, but knew he was someone who was well respected here, the people showed it.

“What is to happen to him?” Leryk said to the wizard. “Jurea? What can we do for him?”

“Well for one thing, he needs his rest. He is laid down right now, but we must remain alert. Glutua did not plan on the original siege failing, which is why this second siege of the undead happened. Though, if I were not here, the siege would have been successful. How bad were our losses?” she asked.

“We are all the soldiers that remain.” Arien said grimly. “Most of the inhabitants within are also dead. There is a remnant within the barracks, if there is anything left that is. I am assuming they are still there. The prisoners are still in their cages, though they are unlocked now. We too would be dead if it was not for…” he pointed to the woman.

“And who are you?” Jurea asked. “Where do you come from?”

“It is probably best you not know where I come from.” she said, bowing. “I am Arcwa, at your service...until such time I see fit, or your needs no longer require my attention.”

Constable coughed and woke with great pain in his chest. Jurea hit him in the head with her staff. “What were you thinking?! One man cannot simply confront a kuai and live to tell of it. They are stronger than most, and a nasty one at that. I am surprised actually you were able to last until the morning! Do not do something ill minded such as that again!”

He grunted as another cry was heard from among the dead. An orc was hiding underneath the dead, cowardice in its finest. Orcs are not known for their cowardice, and it would appear it planned on making amends by grabbing a club, charging towards Arcwa, and swinging it towards her head. When it hit, the club splintered, with shards of wood flying all over the place.

Arcwa smiled at the orc, and her eyes filled with bloodlust, one that none did see before now. The orc, immediately realizing he attacked the wrong person made a break for the gate, however, Arcwa had other plans for it. She grabbed its collar bone and threw him to the ground, and immediately started to undo its armor. Its cries became squeals and incoherent babbling as she pulled out a knife and continued to make incisions over various parts of its chest. Once she finished, of course with much more convulsions from the orc she inserted her hands into the cuts and pulled on the wound so that she could open a door into its very heart, literally!

The blood inside was relaxed, and the intestines and stomach still churned from an earlier meal, while the heart was pumping faster than it should have been. The orc stopped squealing, as if in that moment it accepted its cruel fate, and this fate is far more cruel a punishment than any orcs have ever given man. No orc has ever opened a door into the inside of a man before. “Sh.” she said to it as her mouth neared its neck and took a large bite out of it. The squealing started yet again and Arcwa was filled with ecstasy.

The orc squirmed as the woman of unknown origin was finally revealing herself as to what she was. Studly trained an arrow upon her, as the squirming and squealing ceased. Jurea’s eyes were opened in horror, Constable still had not noticed; Leryk also did nothing as his eyes was not filled in horror but satisfaction, the last of the orc scum had been ridden of this city, and the next step would be to restore order.

“Frightened little man,” Arcwa said, turning. Her eyes were still red with bloodlust, and her jaw was covered in blood. In her left hand she held the orc’s heart. “Release that arrow, it will affect me not. Do not tempt me, little man for I am the one who released you from the savagery of the orc.” She walked to him, and touched the arrow as it trembled. He observed the heart explode in her hand and she reached for his cheek, lightly patting it with her blood covered hand. “Just remember, I am doing this at the kindness of my heart...or rather the kindness of this orc’s heart.” She laughed. “Kindly remember that now youngling!”

“What are you?” Jurea asked, wondering what the origin of Arcwa was. “Where do you come from?”

“I will tell you what I told the rest of you people, it is best you did not know that information.” She answered irritably. “If you are meant to know, it will reveal itself in time.”

Elgath stumbled over to Leryk, hugging him. The warmth of his love exceeded the boundaries of his embrace of his son. The son and the father united yet again, after months, the two come to the realization that they are the only family they have left. There is no known knowledge of Artaiya, Leryk hardly remembers the trap door where she left him to die.

Leryk resisted at first, as many do; yet after a brief moment, the bond which was broken with distance was mended. Jurea turned her gaze over to the two as she soon found Constable standing at her side. She was comforted by it.

“So...what news of the council?” he asked, remembering why she disappeared in the first place.

“The council!” Said an unknown voice. “The council is merely a symbol! Symbols can do nothing!” They all turned, and while most everyone did not recognize her, Jurea did. Luthien survived, though very jaded. Her face was stained brownish red, and her left hand was covered in the redness of wrath. She is missing a finger, the ring finger,

“What happened?” Jurea asked running to Luthien before she collapsed on the ground, dropping her staff, which was splintered in many places. She caught her, and brought her slowly to the ground.

“Coming face to face with a cannibal, I am sure he will return again, and perhaps another finger will be lost, but it is necessary.” She said, her voice trailing off. “Alas, where there is life there can be hope. Just remember Jurea, you and that man whom you spoke to me about are more important than you realize.” She fell asleep.

Jurea shook her frantically. “No! We need you! Do not go yet!”

“She is not dead yet, Jurea.” Constable placed his hand on her shoulder. “Let her rest.”

“But if he comes again what happens? We cannot all be expected to defeat an army by ourselves!” She took his hand in hers,

“No.” he replied solemnly. “But we have the rangers on our side now. Yes, I have enlisted the help of the Ranger’s Guild, though I do not know when they will be coming, but they will be coming nonetheless. Time and time again, I have faced Glutua, and have proven him a fool, though today his forces nearly killed me, and all of the human race within Kenderhell. This next time, though I do not know how to kill him, I know of someone who does know how to kill him.”

“No one has been able to kill him yet!” Kreftic said, limping towards them. Leryk and Elgath were not paying attention. “What have you done? You have tossed your sword through his abdomen, a blow that should sever him in half, yet it did not.”

“As much as I would like to see a light, there is none.” Arien replied. “Who is it you say knows how to kill Glutua? It is a task that only Kora, who is long gone has ever accomplished such a feat.”

“It is an elf, just like her. I sure hope he will come on this day, when the rest of them do.” Constable answered. “It is the Ranger’s Guild after all, with what they have all been through, they are fierce warriors. They can repopulate, and rearm us. They can also lead us better, to the path I am trying to lead you to. They know the law of Unverdus, and we can fix everything!”

“Unverdus you say.” Arcwa said to him. “So you are religious men?”

“It is only a religion if it is myth. It is fact, Unverdus is real, I have heard Him speak to me before. Before all of this happened!” Constable replied, staring up into the skies, and slowly shut his eyes, his mind reaching out into the stars.

Jurea slipped her fingers through his hand, and tightly squeezed as she also gazed into the heavens. Indeed, they would need Unverdus now more than ever, with little soldiers left. The little party they had left to fight could not even be called a squad, it was too small. A single squad was not meant to hold down a fort or a city, but a squad this small, makes it hopeless. The Rangers needed to come, and soon. Who knows when Glutua plans to strike next?



© 2015 Armanis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

182 Views
Added on December 18, 2015
Last Updated on December 18, 2015
Tags: vampire, orcs, undead, soldiers, despair, hope lost


Author

Armanis
Armanis

Revere, MA



About
I am a fantasy author. I do some writing of poetry and short stories under a different name. My writing takes place in the dungeons and dragon world but in an alternate universe since my story doesn't.. more..

Writing
Prologue: Gamble Prologue: Gamble

A Chapter by Armanis


Royal Brood Royal Brood

A Chapter by Armanis


The Unholy Tree The Unholy Tree

A Chapter by Armanis