Killing Giants

Killing Giants

A Chapter by Armanis
"

The death of Legion and Glutua

"






Chapter 24 Killing Giants

“Look! Kenderhell burns!” a man said from behind.

Cardur could see it. Rubble appeared to be coming up from the ground of Kenderhell. Geff was right next to him, the poor boy who saw Galad die, who respected him and still traumatized. This boy has been through alot, and not all of us are ready to fight a war. He shouldn’t have to put up with the things I have been putting him through. He let out a sigh before patting the poor boy on the shoulder. I certainly hope Kac will come back in time. The numbers of these creatures...it is disconcerting. “Geff, be responsible will you boy? Keep these citizens safe. They need you here.” He hopped off one of the caravans he was sitting from. He pulled out his axe with one hand, holding it steadily with the others as he looked on the armies down the hill which apparently paid little attention to him.

The sounds of thuds told him he was not alone. Many of the adult soldiers hopped off, and the younger recruits were behind him, except for Geff. “Today will be a dark day, and I do not know if anyone will get out ‘ere tonight, but we will die for Unverdus this night if that be the case. It took seasons three to believe, but believe we do!” He wept. “Decrepantaur, today will be the day you realize that God cannot be killed so easily. We will rekindle the fire in their hearts, for ours will burn eternally with holy fire!”

Geff witnessed the speech, a beautiful speech which was short and too the point. In just a few words, he spoke about the faith for the remaining men that inhabited Shiro. The last few free men of Shiro had little intention on living. All bore hardened faces not of hate, nor of anger but of determination. They were not there to win the fight.


“So this is Kenderhell...and who be it to the west of us?” King Americos observed, donned in noble armor, with a green cape. His army of the nameless are behind him, and who better to provide spiritual leadership than Geremy, the Priest who held up high the symbol for Unverdus, one of the many symbols, which was a six pointed star, perfectly proportional atop a large pole. On the bottom of that pole, was a spearhead.

“I know not my King. Americos, they are human...perhaps surviving members of Shiro? The few that escaped from the darkness?” the priest turned to Arcwa and Jeritus. Both of them shared a horse. “What say you?”

“I say, what do you think you are doing let the remaining survivors of that land face that army of armies alone. There are...by the Gods there are children behind them!” She raised her arms in the air. “What imbecile would send children into battle!?”

“Grento.” Jeritus said sarcastically.

“Shut up Bard. We must ride, and ride now we must!” She said frustratedly.

“No more waiting. Ride to the end! To light that candle, we will end this darkness. Decrepantaur has no place in our hearts! He has no place in our world! Let us restore order and light to Kenderhell!”

The horses galloped. Their feet strolled down the hill as countless horseman rode into the daylight. Americos noticed the other group shifting towards the gates of Kenderhell. “This is good.” Americos replied. He noticed the kuai shifting their attention towards them, but it was too late.

The horses galloped over, landing on the kuai as they ran them over. The horses headbutt their foes as swords were swinging. Heads were sliced and with their heads streams of blood stained the horse's hide, and the clothes and armor of the men that rode upon them. Shrieks of terror came from the kuai as they were disorientated for the time.

Behind, Americos could hear the speaking of Geremy, “Our Lord, who art in heaven, hallowed by thy name, thy kingdom come, they will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one, for thine is the kingdom, the power, and thy glory forever! Amen!”

Trumpets were sounding as the kuai turned on the horses, biting, grabbing, and striking where they could. They were not going to let a single charge defeat them all, as chaos swirled around Americos, he was protected by Corm, the strong peasant, and of course Feltus, trusted friends who spent many trials and errors together.


“Glutua! You gluttonous pig!” Fastatru was enraged as he got off his ghost horse, marching through the ranks of kuai, who hurried to attack the force of horses. “What is happening? I thought you said we had nothing to worry about? Your lies! Lies you have given me! Do you so easily betray Decrepantaur?”

“I do not know.” he answered, pushing the man back, who drew his sword.

“You said there would be no elves, least of all the Ranger’s Guild! The Protector’s of the forest! They are here! And what now? We have a small army being lead by a single dwarf! Two separate forces, with the force inside fighting against Legion!” His sword came very close to the amulet around Glutua’s neck. “These circumstances are unpredictable, without this information we will lose this siege! How did you not know? Why did you not tell me these things Glutua? Why?”

“These events were unseen in my eyes.” he answered, his eyes gazing at the knife. “If you kill me, you will have no help, in the final person who will arrive.”

“And who will that unfortunate soul be?!” he said in ire.

“Kac Xaizan, if memory serves. He has slain both Fakino, and Maya Truva. He is dangerous, and you will need me to put him down. To put him out of his misery.” he replied, ignoring the sword.

“You will live for now, but as soon as I kill this elf you say will come, I will kill you and send you into that fiery inferno!”


Legion had several arrows in his legs, but no blood came out. It was the thick armor of flesh that protected him as he slew several men, and quite a few elves that were left. Luthien and Jurea summoned great balls of lightning and water on the creature, and that seemed to harm, if only a little the God-like demon. Never before have they seen anything like this, fighting throughout the night, fighting something they couldn’t manifest even in their wildest nightmares.

Yara had attached a large, sturdy rope to an arrow she had left. It was the final arrow. “Legion! Face me! It is almost midday as I have seen!”

Legion turned, all of his weapons were to one side of his body. His demon face still bore that smile created only after centuries of being twisted by the Abyss of Chaos. The spear in his hand was now the home for the dead of many, elves and men alike, Kreftic was one of the unlucky few. The flail was covered in so much blood and debris that every time it swung, blood was sent everywhere. As it lay still, a waterfall of blood poured down from the weapon. The sword itself was also crimson in the blood of the victims. Those that were left, such as even Constable thought they were already defeated. Only death needed to take its course.

She whispered to the arrow, something inaudible. It is so silent even the wind could not hear it. Legion roared as the arrow was released, and with it, the rope. Legion laughed as he brought his shield to block the arrow, but much to his dismay, this was no ordinary arrow.

As it flew to the air, the arrow lost its color. The steal was not silver, nor was the stem brown, or the feathers white. It did not make a sound as it soared through the air. Yara could see the arrow reaching for the shield, and was unsure if her arrow would pierce through the demon’s hide.

It did.

It soared right through, with the rope, and pierced the demon. This was the one arrow that marked Legion, and he knew it. It hurt him more than the arrows before, and even the spells Luthien and Jurea cast. The elves hurried, grabbing any arrows from the kuai, and began firing for the head of the beast. Elgath and Corplus picked up their swords and struck at the heels of this giant, as its toes severed, screams, agonizing screams that pierced the ears, guttural screams.

Legion tried to escape the rope, but Yara planted it in the wall, and stepped on it. “Unverdus is with us!” To the corner of her eye, she witnessed the kuai returning. “Rangers! Protect this city! Kill the Kuai! Leave this demon to me!”

The rangers returned to their ranks, followed shortly by Leryk, who trusted them all, despite never seeing their faces, nor the face of any elf before Luthien’s. The kuai charged, knocking some on their feet, but their tolerance for pain was legendary. They were fragile, unlike the kuai, but knew how to take a serious hit. The wall of elves was pushed back, and Leryk with them as he strived to cut below the waist if he could, for he was too short to hit anything vital.

Yara ran up the rope, as fast as she could, as Elgath and Corplus continued hacking at its toes. Both swords were in her hand as the giant spear was thrust towards her. Despite its enormous size, she parried it. She screamed a great war cry as the sword swung for her with the other hand. She jumped over it. She smiled as the sadistic smile from the demon face, turned into a worried frown. With the final arm, it swung the flail, right on the rope, but to no avail, for he missed.

Yara slid on the rope, grabbing the handle, not the barbed chain of the flail. She used the leverage to throw herself up in the air, and descended upon the face of the demon, where both her swords pierced his eyes. Soon she was covered in the demon’s blood as she hopped back on the rope, sliding towards the wall. One shield and flail fell from his grasp as he covered his eyes, screaming.

“Constable! Get your read up! Up up up!” Jurea pulled him up. “Can you not see, the sun is shining and yet we will to see another day! Pick up your sword and help fight!”

“For the elves! For Unverdus!” Called out a much deeper voice.

Constable turned, and saw the lines of elves, fall backwards, leading many kuai in. The kuai swarmed around the Rangers, who bore only great smiles on their faces. He saw it clear as day, they were surrounded, and exhausted but still smiled. It was not until a few moments after, did he understand why.

A dwarf, an aged dwarf with red hair, with white streaks. He lead modest army of heavily armored men, many of which were significantly shorter than others, but the shorter ones were much stronger. They rushed behind the kuai, hacking away with great strength and passion, ignoring the demon for the time being.  

The demon called Legion wiped the blood from his eyes, and his head turned. It was the face of the bull, and the arms with the mace receded into the body of itself. It looked with extreme hate and prejudice, but it laughed. “Never before has a mortal struck a blow to me, even with such great numbers against me, but now, you no longer have the numbers!” This voice was deep, and the subtle speaking of the second face was high pitched, but it made the sound more full.  

“It is not numbers we need, Demon!” Yara replied. “Unverdus Himself has blessed that arrow that pierces you. Even now, I can see your blood dripping from the wound. I can see your pain, and it is only beginning.” She turned to Cardur. “Master Dwarf,be a dear, and take your men outside will you not? This city is not safe to be fighting in here.”

Cardur nodded as he lopped off the head of a Kuai. “Out of the City! All who are under me! We strive to fight! We will move these kuai out!” Cardur yelled, raising his ax as the last of the kuai was felled.

The rest followed him out the door, to meet another wave of Kuai trying to rush in, but none prevailed as the swords from the men came crashing down. They were not afraid, for all all of them faced far worse. The wraiths were far worse than than any number of orcs, kuai or otherwise that they could face. This small group of men, pushed back the army of kuai, down the field, and into the battlefield, which was made by the marsh.


“Legion is screaming again.” Fastatru put his hands over his face in irritation. “These men, they are from Core Crest. The men on the horses are. Those other men...are from Shiro. These men are all strong, and no, we were not prepared for this. Glutua, I cannot risk being here right now. I will be in Bristole. Come find me when it is done.”

“And when Kac arrives?” the fat wizard replied.

“Kill him.”

Fastatru walked through the battle field, heading west, slaying any men, and unfortunate kuai who happened to be in his way with his silver sword. Glutua watched him move slowly in his irritation. Truly, today a blow has been struck to his pride.

“Damn that man.” Glutua looked passed the hills to the south. His eyes watered with tears of fear and pain. “Today is not the day when the Hells are empty. There will be that day, but not this day.”


Americos was knocked off his horse by a Kuai. He turned around to see his steed devoured by the massive creatures. He swiftly cut down one before they took attention to him. He grew tired as he slew the next, and then the next, then the final one who devoured his horse. He could hear the neighs of the horses that passed by him, running through, and knocking the great kuai off their feets. Some other men, the ones he recognized from Shiro joined him in slaughtering the downed kuai.

The kuai were running in another direction, leaving Americos surrounded by a few men, including Corm and Feltus. “What are they running from?” Feltus acknowledged the unusual behavior.

Corm looked, jumping off his steed. He scratched in confusion as a dwarf made his way to them. “Aye, strange indeed.” Americos replied.

“I wonder_” Feltus began.

“Trust each other!” The dwarf called out with his axe. “Do not falter, stay together! The worse is yet to come!”

“Who are ye?” Feltus called, hopping off his horse. “What do ye know?”

“I am Cardur, former Captain of the Guard of Malitu.” Corm and Feltus gasped. They knew how strong is guards were. Not pushovers, they all knew it. So the rumors are certainly true. “Trust me, you do not want to know what is coming next, but I fear you should. I thank you and your men for their courage, but this is where it all ends.” The sun began setting, the red light still shimmering. “The servants of Decrepantaur are returning, and far more dangerous than before. With hosts at their backs, and a brief immortality about them. I know not who is here, but Fakino, and Maya Truva…” Americos heard the tales of that one. She destroyed part of Core Crest in her day. “It is one of them.”

“Damn everything!” Feltus replied. “Is it all pointless?”

“Nothing is pointless. We came here to rekindle the fire,” Americos replied, looking to the city of Kenderhell in all its hope. It was seemingly free, except what lay behind those darkened walls, littered with corpses, the corpses of countless kuai. Truly, today there was much sacrifice and much more to come. It was only the beginning. “Make the city safe! Bring the wounded inside, and help the elves with their trial! I will stand against anything that comes this way!”

The rest of the men from Core Crest turned from slaughtering the kuai, and ran for the city.

“Will you stand, or will you fall.” said a voice. They turned to see a wizard with decaying flesh as his robe turned ethereal white. “Fall you will, as will I rise, and your bodies will sell themselves to me as I devour your souls!”

“Is this it? Is this one of the Seven?” Corm asked in his deep voice,

“Glutua be my name. Eternal slavery is your fate. Here we are to the Abyss I send thee of late, and your destiny will be the same.” he answered.

“Glutua, the servant of gluttony. He was the one sadistic enough to eat his victims.” Americos replied. “I know that legend all too well.”

“And how about that terrible rhyme scheme? No meter whatsoever! You failed miserably!” Feltus said, raising his hand with his sword.

Cardur looked carefully at the wraith. “Who leads you?” He asked. The question was not directed towards Glutua, but of the men he was with.

“That person is I. King of Core Crest.” he answered.

“I strongly suggest you leave. It would be unfortunate for your end to be here. Not just for you, but for your kingdom. Core Crest is the only nation not scarred, and it will receive a scar that will not heal if you die here.” Cardur replied. “If you are so adamant about staying to see it done, return to Kenderhell. You will be of plenty of use there.”

“Very well.” He sighed. “Corm, Feltus, you will look after the dwarf will thee not? I expect you two to report to me once it is done.”

“Aye.” the two men said in unison as the king turned, hopping one one of the horses left by his two trusted friends. He rode off, charging towards Kenderhell.

“Our last report has already passed.” Cardur said grimly.

“Your words are grim just as your thoughts. They should be.” Glutua answered. One hand rose and bolts of lightning struck out, zapping Corm. He was pushed away, feeling such strength and power being sapped from him.

Cardur charged at the wizard as Feltus moved to flank on the otherside. Cardur’s fiery axe swung through the air, but was parried with the seemingly frail wooden staff. It seemed to be rotting in the middle of it. Corm grabbed his sword and likewise swung. It was parried by the staff, and with the other end of the staff he jabbed Feltus.

Glutua swung the staff around his body, twisting and twirling it like some sort of festival show before slamming it to the ground. Three different energies began to wrap up from the earth. One was of fire, the second energy was lightning, and the third and final weave of energy was water.

Cardur was struck with the lightning, such electrical power surged through his body until he was wrapped in it. The fire burned Corm, his armor peeled off and his sword melted in his hands. His corpse was unrecognizable. The legs of Feltus were frozen in place. He grunted, his breathing was uncontrolled and rapid.

Glutua took his staff and struck the ice, and it shattered the legs. Feltus screamed as the hands of the wizard reach for his head. Black lightning was summoned back and forth between his fingertips, and the face was being cut up by this mysterious force. Shortly after the screaming stopped as Cardur stood up. “He is far more dangerous than Maya or Fakino. This is not possible.”

“No. Maya was always more dangerous than me. She was the better wizard. Fakino nearly killed me once, even when she was outnumbered in that cave. The only difference is that if they lived, they would have been stronger.” Glutua laughed, before pointing his staff at the helpless dwarf. There was a purple bulb manifesting at the tip of it. “So you were there? There when they both were killed? Even in such a weak state, I am surprised a mortal could kill them.”

“None other, than Kac Xaizan.” Kac, get here as soon as possible. I can only stall him for so long...before I die this night.


Legion’s second shield was seriously dent out of shape. Parts of it was so dent it started to rip off his arm. He cried and cried as he swung his sword and flail at the very evasive elf, Yara. He could not see, but he could hear, he could smell it all. He could smell the blood of those that was on his spear, which now shattered as soon as Constable got close enough to it.

Legion could feel his blood leaving him. The one arrow that pierced him was great, and his time in this world was limited. He kicked, he stomped but to no avail was he hitting the elf. He could hear the screams of those unfortunate enough to be underneath his feet as he stepped, but this one elf would not give up.

“How does it feel! Do you feel the pain! Answer me demon! Or are your cries of anguish the only thing you know!” Yara screamed as she cut him deeply, leaving one sword piercing his neck. She purposely lodged it in all the way, so it would stay, and keep the wound from closing. The arrows from the elves stopped, for that at least he was relieved. “How does it feel to have this sun set upon your existence on this plane! This pain is just the beginning!”

A large dome appeared from below. Of course Legion could not see it, but he could feel the holy fire burning. The dome was summoned by Luthien, who better to do so than the cleric, the priestess of Unverdus. His calves began to burn, the fire set in. The shields dropped and turned into bloody mud as they hit the ground.

“Fire condemns, and water cleanses.” Yara observed the great beast. Many men hoisted themselves up on the burning mass, striking it with swords, hacking away. Luthien continued to burn the creature with holy fire as Jurea struck it with bolts of lightning. Before long, the creature stopped its screaming and returned to the form from whence it came, dark brown liquid that receded into the fountain.

“Bloody creature!” Corplus commented. “What was that?”

“His name is Legion. He is a demon destined to stay in the Abyss of Chaos until the end of time.” Luthien explained. “He is called legion because of his many forms he can take. It is clear that some Orc worshippers have followed Legion, in the form of Gruumsh. It is true. He is a powerful creature, and it is only through powerful wizard that he can be summoned from that place.”

“Like you?” Jurea asked as Yara approached them after observing the fountain.

“No…” She noticed Constable stumbling towards Yara, falling on his knees. His hands were raised. “The Seven were stronger in their mortal form than I, for reasons unknown.” Her gaze shifted towards the broken man and smiled. She let out a brief chuckle before continuing with her thought. “They were apparently weak in returning to this world, but they are strong now. If I went up to Glutua right now, I would die.”

“But you were at a standstill with him, or so it seemed not too long ago?!” Jurea said concerningly, not ignoring Constable, or Luthien’s gaze towards him.

“That was then. This is now…” she trailed off. “Where is he?”

“Perhaps he means to walk in himself.” Jurea commented.

“I doubt that very much. He is strong, but not stupid.” she answered.

Luthien, Corplus, Leryk, Elgath, Arien, Knitly who had arrived with the men from Core Crest, and Jurea surrounded Yara and Constable. Constable held the elf’s hands very firmly, looking up into the eyes as if she was the only light in this world. “What must I do to be saved? Help me see the hope in you!”

“The hope is already in you Constable. You just fail to see it.” She smiled to him. “Humbly fall on your knees, bow your head in worship and sing praise. That is my command to you Constable.” She turned her head to the massive group of soldier, smiling. She looked at all of them, as if the smile was intended for all of them, and so were her next words. “You will see changes here, changes unforeseen in the laws of Grento. We will rewrite the laws, and make sure that with all due haste, the will of Unverdus is done. Grento will be the elves, it is where our presence will be.”


Cardur was bleeding. His left eye was swollen shut, his right cheek severely bruised. One finger had been bitten off, and he was tired. He is tired of it all. Almost an entire year has passed, and he was not allowed one break. Not one.

He looked at Glutua, who paced back and force, glaring at him hungrily on the field of marsh. His eyes grew dark, and weary.

“Do you know what happened to me? Do you know what happened that created such a monster!?” Glutua asked.

“No. Nor do I care to know.” He gazed up at the starless sky, the sky veiled in black smoke. He wept. The fire on his axe was snuffed out, with the fire in his heart. “Kac, you need to...get here. Now. I can...I cannot do this anymore.”

“Is the dwarf afraid of death? Is he doubtful?” Glutua mocked in that mocking voice of his.

“I am just...I am just tired.” He pushed his axe away from him. It sunk into the marsh, but not before its steel was covered in frost. The ice on the axe, the steel was very cold, colder than the winter, colder than months of snow with no warmth. It was dead, much like Cardur’s jaded soul. “Tired. That is all. End it. End my misery.” The words were spoken with great reluctance, of course no one wants to die when it comes to it, and those pleading words left a bitter taste in his mouth..

“Are you that eager to die?” Glutua laughed. “Very well dwarf. From rock you were, to rock you will return!” Glutua touched the ground with his staff, chanting inaudibly. The earth shifted, shaking uncontrollably like an earthquake, but it was not the earth, or rather it was something from within the earth. Something that created itself.

Four stone pillars rose from the marsh. Each resembling a corner on each side of Cardur, who did nothing. He only wept, burying his face in his hands. The stones never reached over his neck. Cardur didn’t see the rocks crumbling, and forming new ones, reaching out towards him. Two pillars appeared in front of him, one of granite, the other silver. They were on either side of him, and impaled his chest from both sides, before the other four suddenly impaled him in different locations. The stones, grinding as he screamed, and the would grind faster the louder he screamed. More pillars appeared, and impaled him. One by one, his flesh was being ripped apart like cloth. The screaming stopped, and all that appeared to be left, was Cardur’s head, rolling towards the marsh, but still visible, and the rock pillars that destroyed him.

“CARDUR!” yelled a guttural voice. It was voiced with agony. Kridruk had gone ahead of the elves, who were not far behind him. The ground shook as he ran with his great sword to attack the wizard, who parried it with his fragile staff.

“Traitor. You dare betray the dark that you once loved? How dare you Kuai? How dare you fall back in line? What did the clan teach you?” Glutua said in ire.

“I have learned nothing that I can take with me into my next life!” He roared, striking for the wizard again.

“I see. Then you will die here. You alone cannot expect you defeat me in cold battle.” Glutua’s staff sparked and sent electricity soaring through the kuai’s body. Its roar was great, and shortly it stopped as what appeared to be a spear made from electricity struck Kridruk. It ripped out his heart, and he fell, dead.

“Kridrik no!” Kac screamed. He, Yun, Dorio, Lorana, and Fakino came running down from the hill. Kac could see the head of Cardur, and plain as day, Kridruk’s corpse. He looked up in extreme anger, and he pulled out his sword. Not Fakino’s sword since she had already retaken ownership of it.

“And who are you? Are you the next one to fall?” Glutua replied, he didn’t turn to Fakino yet. “And you...you are alive. I thought Kac killed you?”

“This elf did not kill me.” She replied, drawing her sword, pointing it at Glutua. “He set me free from all transgressions, and of that demon whom I was named for.”

“Well then, it appears yet again we are on the opposite side of the war. Unfortunately for you we do not have Maya to turn you from your evil ways.” The wizard replied. “Well such a sad fate to send thee to such a hot place again. It would be most unfortunate.”

“Unfortunate for me indeed.” Fakino smiled at him, encircling the wizard near the rocks. “However, I know how strong I am, and much stronger now, given everything that you took away from me. I received my blessings yet again wizard, you corrupt and ignorant fool.”

“Why do you seem so happy? You lead a stray party of elves here to me, all of which I can kill quite easily. You brought sheep to the slaughter.” the wizard replied.

She laughed. “No dear, dear Glutua. You are often blinded by the vast array of food you stuff in your mouth. “With my ethereal ears I could hear the demon, Legion is his name. I know not what possessed you to summon him, but even I know that was no easy task for you. Can you not hear? You should not be hearing him anyways. He is dead from this world, once again. The night is here, and where you are at your strongest, you are also at your weakest.”

“Why is that?” He noticed Kac, and the others shifting back and forth.

“He does not know.” Lorana whispered in Kac’s ear.

He nodded, and pointed a finger towards Yun. She followed. “I would like to keep it that way.” He turned to Yun as she was within an elf’s whisper away from him. “Take Fakino, go into Kenderhell, see if they need help of any kind whatsoever.”

Yun nodded, and rushed to Fakino. Glutua fired a bolt of lightning at her. Kac pulled out his bow, firing the arrow. When it hit, both energies disappeared, the fire and the lightning cancelled each other out.

“Impossible.” Glutua turned to the elf that fired the bow, and swiftly turned his gaze towards Fakino, which was being whispered something by Yun. He needed to know.

“Well Glutua, this reunion was fun, and it pains me that I will not be the one killing you…” She paused to let that sink in his empty skull. “However, that task is not mine given the current age. Unverdus has blessed this age with another. Behold!” She could not control her laughter. Her hand pointed to Kac, with all fingers, including her thumb. She sheathed her blade. “Kac...Xaizan will be the one to kill you!” She continued laughing as she hurried with Yun across the battlefield, jumping over corpses of horses, men, and Kuai until Glutua could see them no more.

“Damn you Fakino. Once I am done…” he couldn’t bring himself to finish the sentence. He knew he couldn’t.

“Well, that secrecy was short lived. What in the Nine Hells does she think she is doing!” Kac yelled, his sarcasm speaking for itself.

“Well, it would have been fun in the very least to see him fight, thinking he might win.” Lorana couldn’t laugh. “Oh Yurilo… Please be my guide today.”

“Let us get this done and over with.” Dorio replied, slowly taking the shield from his back and putting it out to face the wizard. He glanced over at both the dwarf’s head, and the Kuai. He remembered the cell he was forced into, primarily his own doing when he willingly attacked Malitu. He remembered the burning coals in his nostrils, and underneath his feet. “To the Abyss with you. I have lost much, and have gained much trials through your kind Glutua, I will be with Kac til the end, and will see the pieces fall...one by one!”

“Do you really think I am the only one. Fastatru is not far away, even if I die, he will be more than capable of killing you.” Glutua defended, pretending to act tougher than he was. He trembled, and Kac could see it.

“Do you not realize what I am? I am an elf, with ears keen and eyes keener. I have already scouted the area with it, and I have seen the direction where Fastatru is going. His pride was defeated today, and behold, I will use that avarice against him. Just you watch!” Kac said, taunting him. “Wait, I forgot, it would be rather difficult for you to watch from the Abyss.”

“I hate elves.”

“And I hate you.” Dorio responded rather casually.

The paladin rushed the wizard with the shield. It was parried, and before Glutua could charge his spell, Lorana cast a stream of fire his way. He abandoned his spell, and cast a war instead. It did not seem to work, since Kac came in with his sword, and struck it with an unrelenting force that shattered the invisible shield like glass.

Glutua disappeared into smoke, reappearing into his wraithlike form not more than a few feet away. He grunted and put up another shield. He charged a spell of ice, as Kac swiftly pulled out his bow and fired a swift arrow at the shield. “An evasive one eh?” Kac said as his arrow hit the shield, resounding with a deafening roar, there was fire. A vortex of orange flames. Glutua cried out as he was pushed backwards.

“You cannot be that powerful.” He cried, charging up a spell.

Glutua did not pay attention to what was happening. He was bound and determined to put off one strike against the trio of elves that stood firm. He looked up only once, and that was when Lorana was right in front of him.

His spell of lightning streams was intercepted, and dualed with Lorana’s streams of fire, but her fire was not orange, it was redder than blood. Glutua grimaced as he kept charging the spell, surely with her level of magic, her energy would soon wear out, and when it did he would be victorious.

Much to his dismay, that was not the case. He didn’t see Dorio right behind her. Dorio pushed her aside with one hand blocked the spell with his shield. The damage was great to his arm, but he bashed the staff of the wizard, sending its bolts right into the ground.

Dorio shield  bashed the wizard, which lost control over his staff, and behind the paladin, was the ranger. He was running swiftly with his sword’s tip touching the ground, and brought it up swinging vertically, as if attempting to cut apart the dark clouds. The strike went up to his head, slicing the chain, or rather the bind of the amulet around the wizard’s neck. The wraith disappeared, and the white smoke from his existence fell into the marsh.

Lorana looked up at the sky, and the clouds turned into rain. “Rain to wash away all our sins. It is indeed a great day. One more servant of the enemy is destroyed.” She commented. “Yurilo, sweet Yurilo.”

Kac was looking towards the west with a determined eye. “Fastatru, in Bristole. He is next. You enemy of my people, the enemy of my Lord Unverdus! I will send each of you into the Abyss of Chaos! That is your punishment for ripping our home away from us!”

“They will pay! Dorio replied, strapping his shield back to his back. “However, we should enter Kenderhell. We need to regroup with out friends. It has been too long for this. A little rest otherwise would also be good.”

“Maya Truva was not easy to defeat. How was he so easily defeatable?” Lorana commented.

The three started to walk towards Kenderhell, stepping over the dead, while others seemed to be dying. The men died in peace, with peaceful looks written on their faces. The kuai’s faces however were distraught with defeat. Everyone of them looked in great trepidation at their demise. Blood still poured from the large bodies, as it ceased coming from the men. Unverdus had healed their wounds, so their bodies could keep its blood as their souls ascended into Heaven.

“Because we had a plan. It worked. Unverdus guided us, and He himself is stronger than any demon we can face. He will guide us to the great halls, even unto death; he has total control.” Kac answered. He spent much time thinking on such a simple idea.

Dorio nodded as he took in the information. Lorana did nothing, only seemingly muttering to herself. Kac was grim-faced, as he pondered two great friends he had, they were now gone. Those were the only few people he knew left, that he would remember with such grave fortune.

Kac and the other two walked in the city, noticing a caravan approaching from the south. It was being lead by a small boy. It must be Geff. He knows by now where he must be going, where he needs to be.

He entered, and saw men wheeling wheel barrels with carcasses. He noticed a large pit of fire near what appeared to be a fountain. He saw men with saddened but relieved faces as the dark chapter was currently at an end. He looked to see elves from the Guild grabbing large pillars, and hammers as they started to rebuild the village.

He noticed something else, the civilians of Kenderhell, women and children were rushing out with nails, hammers, saws, and a variety of other tools they thought might have been necessary to rebuild from the onslaught of evil that corrupted their city. The people helped rebuild, as the dead were being removed from the scene, out the gate in which he entered.

As they passed him, they gave him a brief nod of thanks, for he perceived in their hearts they knew he saved them from the wrath and gluttony of Glutua. Glutua would eat no more of them this night, and Grento can sleep safer at night, knowing the darkness is further away, as they welcomed this new savior as Kenderhell could rebuild itself. This savior was named, Kac Xaizan...The Protector of the Forest!


© 2015 Armanis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

160 Views
Added on December 18, 2015
Last Updated on December 18, 2015
Tags: legion, Hope, Salvation, Return, the coming


Author

Armanis
Armanis

Revere, MA



About
I am a fantasy author. I do some writing of poetry and short stories under a different name. My writing takes place in the dungeons and dragon world but in an alternate universe since my story doesn't.. more..

Writing
Prologue: Gamble Prologue: Gamble

A Chapter by Armanis


Royal Brood Royal Brood

A Chapter by Armanis


The Unholy Tree The Unholy Tree

A Chapter by Armanis