Chapter Six

Chapter Six

A Chapter by Julia

 Jan proceeded to ask me what Mr. Lopez had and hadn’t taught me. I didn’t really know if there was much to teach about invisibility except how to control it, but then Jan started asking me about the science behind it all. I admitted to not knowing, and she went over a lesson on how we become invisible because of the reflection of light on our skin, and how our skin cells are much like a chameleon. Honestly, I didn’t really care how and why I was able to be invisible, I only cared to know if I could do it or not. Finally, when class was over, I gave her a warm, “See you tomorrow” and walked out with Nick.                                

“There’s something weird about her.” Nick blurted out when we were out of Jan’s earshot.

“What do you mean?” I asked in confusion.                      

“I just get this creepy feeling about her.” He confirmed. “Like there’s something she’s hiding.”                              “Nick, we just met her. Don’t go assuming yet.” I told him. “It could just make you look like a fool.” He nodded in response as we headed down to my second hour of Premonition Progress. As I placed my hand on the knob, I felt a jolt in my veins. A scene played out in my head and I saw the room of the class I was just about to open the door to, completely empty. No desks or the usual chairs that were regularly placed around the room. Only, there was something written on the wall. And not in paint, or ink, but in a clear bloody message that read, Juliette Enders, be prepared. Then my mind guided me forward to a folded paper that lay straight on the floor right below the scrawl with my name addressed on the top. My vision flashed back to the present, and I looked at Nick. “There’s no one in there, Nick.” I informed him. He pushed me out of the way of the door, and slowly turned the knob of the classroom. He pushed the door open, revealing the empty classroom that I saw in my premonition. “There should be a message written in blood, on the right wall.” Nick nodded and walked forward, turning his head directly to the wall. “And a piece of paper below the scrawl.” 

Sure enough, there was a folded piece of paper laying where my vision told me it would be. I reached for it, but Nick stopped me. “No. There’s no telling what kind of Morter planted this for you. It could be cursed.” Of course, there went Nick and his stupid Guarder self protecting someone who didn’t need protecting. I was perfectly strong enough myself. But I just listened, and let him pick it up. When nothing happened, he slumped his shoulders as if he were disappointed of the lack of action. I shook my head and let out a sigh of aggravation as I snatched the note from him. I read it:

Juliette Enders,

I will start by saying sorry to be of a disappointment to have not killed another one of your beloved teachers, this time, but see, there was no need in it this time. It’s not them I want. It’s you. Have fun seeing the people you care for go to waste. Such a pity. Don’t look for me. I’m coming to you.

Sincerely,

K.

My breath caught. Why was I being targeted? What had I done to offend someone so horribly, that they’d want to kill me? Fear was starting to take over me. Nick saw my hands starting to shake, and took the letter out of my hands and read it. He didn’t say anything at first. He just dropped the paper to the floor and wrapped his arms around me. I didn’t pull away. He felt warm, and I was shivering from the chills of fear running up and down my spine. He was strong, and I felt so weak. So, I just stood there, breathing in his scent. We didn’t speak. We didn’t move. We only just stood there.

After a moment, he placed his lips on my forehead, and pulled my chin up to look at him. “I won’t let anything happen to you, Li. I promise you that.” I looked into those deep brown eyes that laid themselves on his face. “I’m sorry.” I said.

He looked puzzled. “Li, what do you have to be sorry for?”

“I’m sorry that I wasn’t good enough to make you stay.” I said.

“Juliette, don’t do this. Please, don’t do this. I didn’t leave because I wanted to, I told you that. I left because I had to. I wish I could tell you everything, but if I did, my life would be gone, and I’d have no chance whatsoever at making this right.”

“I don’t understand you, Nick. If you hadn’t even been assigned to me, would you have come back on your own accord?”

“I made it to where I was assigned to you, Juliette.” Nick looked at me, his eyes penetrating mine.

“Is that possible?” I asked.

“Well, apparently. I heard Professor Jermanski talking about you. When I heard your name, I went up asked if they needed a Guarder, and they assigned me. It sounds so simple, but I don’t think you realize how happy I was that I was going to see you again. You don’t have a clue, Li. I knew you may have even had someone else, and I knew you hated me for what I did, but just to see your face again, would be worth anything.”

My lip quivered. God, I had missed him. I had missed his sweet words, and his sweet kiss. Here he was, though, standing in front of me, and I couldn’t budge or speak. I wanted to give myself over to him again, but I couldn’t. All I could mutter was:

“You promised you’d never leave me.”

At this point, it looked like he was going to cry himself. His face expressed pain that I almost couldn’t stand. “I never did. I was always right there, Li. I was right in your heart.”

“I can’t trust you, Nick. I’m sorry.” I started to walk away. “Please, don’t walk to my room until you know I’m in there, and don’t come in. I need time without you clouding my mind.” I walked out the door, but before I did, I heard him say:

“I’m not giving up, Li. You can count on that.”



© 2009 Julia


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
Added on December 12, 2009
Last Updated on December 12, 2009


Author

Julia
Julia

Columbus, GA



About
I'm Julia Aleece Watson. I'm fifteen, and I'm a hopeless romantic. I write novels and I never finish them. more..

Writing
Stars. Stars.

A Poem by Julia


Demons. Demons.

A Story by Julia