3 Leaving Sun

3 Leaving Sun

A Chapter by Kyle A. Smith

 

3 Leaving Sun

 

It’s been two days, two whole days.

Not one thing, one monument, not one soul have I seen thus. I felt no fatigue, not type of physical weakness. Still I felt vulnerable, still I felt defenseless. This land has become…mutated. Maybe even evil. Gnarled trunks and sporadic disorder was the rule of the environs.

When did the land change exactly? I didn’t notice till it happened I guess. My mind grew desolate. With no touch of a lover I am to grow cold. How could I leave things so fruitfully behind?

“Because you do this for your City, you love it. Respect and honor are your guidelines, your new King.”

I found myself saying such words at nightfall. I sat by the only tree I could find in the rolling plains. Its gnarled trunk made faces at me. The people I left behind…

I held my head at its ache. I clenched underneath my clothing at my heart. I removed the heavy army at night so I can console and sleep. Thoughts of the City pained me. I sighed and looked out at where the moon merged with the hill beyond. Its grace and light filled me with enough courage to sleep.

I awoke to the sun on the third day. After the rising of my slumber in the morning, I covered more ground then the two previous together. It was the first time I seen the sun besides when I was at City. Its warmth filled me love. I thought of Lady Serine. How beautiful in my mind I still remember her. I laughed at how foolish the thoughts of the night before were. I knew I was coming home. I knew I was coming home to her.

I laughed and rejoiced at the memories I held all day. At several intervals I had to stop with doubling over in laughter. I was happy. It felt like I had never left. The warmth of the sun had made this so.

I thought of The Path, and how I was on it. The same path my Father took. The same path my Brother took. I now travel it for them, for my honor; for their honor.

Somehow it changed once more. Vibrant greens and colorful flowers met me, and seem to create more ambience to the sun. Trees created an outskirt of forestry. The light was everywhere; I did not even notice my own shadow had gone.

It was as if all time had stopped. Just like when I was chosen…As if the sun was stuck overhead permanently. I smiled; all I need is the sun there to light my path till the end; than I shall be set.

Hours passed, and years of memories I have lived through. It felt right. It felt nice. All of the emotions I underwent were in moment’s time, and at the mere thought of one. I felt…human.

With that, my stomach snarled, as it was customary to fast for three days upon receiving the honor of Knight. Expressing my mortal behavior, I still needed sustenance at least. I looked for food in the grooves of trees that surrounded me. But all the while, it felt as if millennia had passed in my search. The sun and dropped down and was only half visible due to the trees and horizon. I seemed to have been in a heavily treed forest. I climbed a hill and seen it out in a clearing in the distance. It was some sort of fruit bearing tree from my inspection.

I practically ran to it, and on arrival I saw that it was an apple tree. I plucked the fattest (and first) one and sank my teeth into the delicious flesh of it. The ruby redness of it…I could barely make it out now since light was fading bit by bit.

Wait.

Fading?

I wheeled around with the apple more then half finished in my hand and saw the sun vanishing. And fast.

Faster then the sun ever should travel across the sky.

I ran out of the clearing and up the hill where I came, finishing my find on the way. I got there and everything went black. I grasped the one and only tree on top of the hill. No stars. No moon. No faint outline of my body, nothing but pure blackness.

I was never much of a mathematician, but a deep rumble far away quaked through the ink, and as if a torch ignited said ink, a fireball to the east set ablaze the dark sky. I counted a rough fifteen to twenty arms, if you will, of flame. And as quick as it came about, it disappeared, leaving a sort of fire cloud behind.

I remained calm and contempt through the disaster. Light and outline returned. I looked up and had seen the stars return.

Beginning to get worried I walked down the hill into the direction of the flame burst. It must have been very powerful magic to have created such a Borealis.        Unfortunately whatever made such a feat, I must face, as the artifact is said to lie far to the east.

I set out. It felt more then twelve hours and it was still dark as dark as night can be, with no sign of the sun again. The robe I wore, with symbol of White on the back…it looked black; a consequence and compliment of the night. I examined the landscape once more along with my figurine. It was a macabre of the once gentle and beautiful scene before. I trudged through the dense and the thick into a clearing of an everlasting ink. The Aurora was there still, but faint. I suspect it be brighter upon approach. Flat plains stood in my path now. I walked on.

“Welcome fellow seeker of destruction. We are pleased to welcome you to the plain of all existence. This is how we have thought it, so this is how we have created it. I am but mere scout, scouting, then found human. Shall we fair a dance, or shall I flee to find solace elsewhere? Deliberation is a key to all battle tactics. You come from City.  Wearing the Red, wearing the White, you follow god’s young one. We are god here. I once was where you were. I made it almost to power, but was struck down. I realized then and then only, that being a god is far better then being ones puppet. I brought my dancing shoes squire. And I fancy a tempo.”



© 2008 Kyle A. Smith


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
Added on February 15, 2008
Last Updated on February 15, 2008


Author

Kyle A. Smith
Kyle A. Smith

MI



About
The only thing that i truly know that drives me is my music, the rest is just all jumbled together with everything, and it all seems to be connected. What I get out of that, is trials, dreams, love, a.. more..

Writing