11 The Four

11 The Four

A Chapter by Kyle A. Smith

11 The Four

 

For the first time on this Quest, I felt scared. But not for the enemies that lay in front of me. I just knew that I was almost done; almost there. Only six more left…and then, the Artifact, and I will control Life. I was scared to advance, and that’s all.

“You know Aiden; a great man once said ‘every individual has the spark of steel to confront fear face to face.’” the soft-spoken number Two said to me. “You must continue your Journey, to fulfill your purpose as a warrior from City. To uphold the values, the honor, and courage of its people; that is you, and you must continue on. You must accomplish what we could not. We have more faith in you than you know.” He quieted and retreated back into his cell. I set down the hill ready to face my fears; after all, he was right…

There was only one tower down in the valley of the hills I was in the process of descending. That must be where the Four resided I concluded. I can’t help but think that I have something extra inside of me…

My thoughts broke when something sinister called my name from the base of the tower. It was made from a rough stone and only rose up three stories into a flat roof with four huge glowing spikes. They each had an inscription: North, East, South, and West.

The clouds reappeared from the night before. The sky painted against the tower made for a darker setting; even gothic and grotesque. It fit the angry aura that I sensed from them…

“We’ve been expecting you Aiden Scott of the City.”

“Yeah we’ve been expecting you” a big burly man said behind the leader.

“But not this early though…That traitor must have got to you. No matter, we were just preparing for your arrival…and demise.” The Four all grinned nastily in my direction at once.

“What do you mean traitor?” I asked in retaliation to their stares.

“The Wayward one, Ten; we sense that she is part of you now. Hah, yes Aiden, we know all about that sword you posses, and the guardians you have prisoner in your mind. We know lots of things. We control the Four winds of the land. We have seen the Wind from the West; it brings word to us of your deeds. The Life has granted us this power. No matter what aid you have in this fight, this is where you stop” the leader kept intimidating mockingly, as if his little speech would do me favor.

“You’re wrong,” Obtineo blurred from his hold, and flashed into my hand, “You are just another obstacle on my Path.  I know not of number Ten inside, only the Nine, and with them, I will storm this tempest.”

“Brave words indeed,” he laughed out, “they will not suffice in this. I have deemed it, you are stop here, and my word is good. As for Ten,” he chuckled this time, “she used Life for a different purpose. Instead of serving the great one who gave the Life, she turned heel and toe. She was a being of Light. Corrupted in mindlessness, she formulated a new past, since her own was lost to her. She is the Wayward, and whether or not you are aware of it, she has become one with you; making herself a prisoner…willingly.

That being than…was one of them…

It all made sense now, why I heard the slashing of my sword. She destroyed herself to become with me. I couldn’t feel it, because she held no corruption. Only Light, and it was free and nice. And that is what I felt, not pain.

I stood there, mouth agape, realizing the power I now held. Somewhere, something clicked in the back of my mind, and I snapped back to the reality unfolding in front of me; the calm before the storm.

“Ha-ha, so you didn’t notice. That is very intriguing. Light does not just come willingly into the darkness unless it’s from City, Boy! We couldn’t destroy her anyways. Even though she was the weakest of our Sixteen, she had something we didn’t, and now, thanks to you, we are free of that.

“I’m sorry to prove you wrong, but I too hold something you don’t!” I smirked at that fact.

“We shall see in the next moments, won’t we?”

The Four, the leader, the big man, a shorter man with a long beard, and a mere boy, made a circle of themselves. They said a prayer, possibly a code word, and a magnificent array of colored light filled the environs; the same colors that were on the tower. They swirled and mixed together forming a charcoal shade. When the light faded, the four bodies disappeared and was replaced with a tall man, with a matching colored armor, that of the new light.

“Are you prepared to endeavor the storm?” a mix of four voices choked.

I looked above and the sky rolled; the wind was here.

The newly formed warrior charged at me with a massive sword. How my weapon held up, I knew not, but I blocked and caused a reverb and shock to impact and numb my hand. It was only the first blow, and my hand was already crushed. I counter attacked as fast as my hand would let me. The Four blocked it with a speed so fast I didn’t even see its arm move. “I’m just toying with you Filthy Sword,” it mocking in humor. Stepping back I unleashed an onslaught of slices; all of them made spark with the lightening fast blocks. “HAHAHAHA, we told you that you will die!”

I stepped back creating some distance between my foe, as the Four circled with a deadly intent. In that instance, I remembered what Ten, the Light holder, had said; “Also, I bring a gift.” I knew what must be done. I must release the ten inside of me with the gift of the Light Mage. With it, she said I shall able to release the prisoners and fight as well, with no fear of pressure.

“THRYCE AIDEN!”

            I still expected the pain to come forth, but it didn’t. Only the feeling of being free from a heavy burden followed as ten bodies materialized from the air along side me. “What was that again Wind!?” I was now smirking devilishly when I seen that the Wind warrior was astonished when I had not fallen as the winds have told them in the past.

            The Four set out a guttural yap, and took charge at one of the nearest guardians. We, in total, outnumbered the charcoal emblazoned warrior ten to one. Two of them blocked at once, leaving the warrior open to attack; the others charged and slashed into him. The warrior felt it and swung his sword in the way of the attacker, knocking them back; one of them returned to ash.

            I didn’t know it at first, but the Light holder was the only one not fighting, as she was right next to me. “Nothing will pierce this Light Shield.” I knew it was there when she said it, but I did not see it for it was invisible.

            The guardians closed in on the Wind, slashing and hacking, but it seemed as if nothing they did penetrated his armor. Three of them retreated back, and started to cast Mage level spells, and god summons. The other five used warrior Art to attack now; Lightening blades and Earthen armor all around. 

            I did the only thing I could do, I pushed Ten away and ran towards the scene of action as the demonic Wind hurled his sword, destroying two more of my guardians. “This is my fight too” I said looking back.

            “Warrior Art! DEMONIC HELLFIRE” my hand cascaded into a blue-green flame, and I made contact to the enemy, engulfing him in a brutal flame. A barrage of Obtineo’s stormed the hull of his armor, making red sparks, and deepened the fire already in progress.

            “ENOUGH!” the charcoal warrior yelled furiously. A huge tornado surrounded the man, and all flame was quenched revealing an unscathed warrior. “I play no longer” he promised and set in for the nearest guardian, slashing her in two, making his way towards me.

            ‘My numbers are dwindling…there must be something!’ I thought. Ten’s voice still rang in my head; “Also, I bring a gift.” ‘I used that gift already, and nothing has come from it. There must be something.’ Worrying now, I became desperate, and searched my thoughts for something in my arsenal that could defeat the power in front of me; the storm.

            It than hit me like a ton of bricks. ‘She also said “But keep in mind; it may hold many more purposes than just that.” I know now what I have to do. If I can separate the beings of my soul, I can use also separate his beings.’

            “You my friend are finished” I said in God Voice over the noise of the fight and immediately everyone stopped battling. I outstretched my arm and opened my hand facing in the direction of the Wind. “BREAK” is what I said. An earthquake followed, along with an implosion of the tall, slender, charcoal armored warrior. Four men lay on the ground, two of them returning to ash.

            My eyes narrowed as I sprinted towards the two recovering from the implosion. Stabbing one in the heart and slashing outward, I jumped towards the leader; cutting him right through his head all the way down. All returned to ash, where we are made, and unmade.

 



© 2008 Kyle A. Smith


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
Added on May 9, 2008


Author

Kyle A. Smith
Kyle A. Smith

MI



About
The only thing that i truly know that drives me is my music, the rest is just all jumbled together with everything, and it all seems to be connected. What I get out of that, is trials, dreams, love, a.. more..

Writing