Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Don Massenzio
"

Frank and Jonesy meet with Travis Bullock at his law firm office to discuss his missing daughter.

"

Frank stopped by the drive through barbecue shack and picked up two pulled pork sandwiches.  It was then time to drive to Kahuna's Surf Shop and pick up Jonesy.  Jonesy's surf shop was a front for his law office.  He enjoyed modest sales, but not enough to call the business a success.  For him, it was more of a hobby, as well as a place to employ some of his more promising ex-clients while they got back on their feet. The real business was in the back in Jonesy's office where he transformed from a younger version of "The Dude" from The Big Lebowski into a sharp-minded legal scholar.

Frank pulled up in his 2004 Lexus IS 300.  He bought the car used for a great price and kept it up well despite its 120,000 miles.  As Jonesy got in the car, he smelled the savory barbecue sauce from the sandwiches.

"Pulled pork? Are you trying to kill yourself?" he asked Frank.

"Does that mean you don't want yours?" asked Frank.

"No, no.  Give it to me. You know I hate waste".

Frank maneuvered the Lexus onto A1a South toward the wealthy suburb of Ponte Vedra.  During the ride he filled Jonesy in on what he found online regarding the Bullocks and Cobb.  Jonesy and Frank theorized about the apparent split between the Bullocks and their church in 2008.  Jonesy suggested some type of event that might have caused a rift between the Bullocks and the religious institution. Perhaps a scandal or a bad business deal was to blame. If so, they needed to find out if the falling out could, in any way, be tied to the disappearance of Maggie Bullock.

Frank signaled to turn into a parking lot adjacent to a medium sized one story Spanish style building.  The signage read BB&C for Bullock, Bullock and Cobb.  Perhaps perspective clients were so familiar with the firm that full names weren't needed on the sign.  Kind of like changing Kentucky Fried Chicken to KFC. Frank parked the car and he and Jonesy entered the building.

The reception area of the firm looked like a shrine to Florida State University.  One thing to understand about Jacksonville, you are either a Gator (University of Florida), a Seminole (Florida State University), a Bulldog (University of Georgia), or from somewhere else wondering why these various camps are so passionate for college sports yet the atmosphere for pro-football is so apathetic.  Frank was definitely from somewhere else.

Frank had worn a garnet colored polo with his khaki pants as a subtle bonding tactic.  Jonesy had worn board shorts and a t-shirt with a picture of Mr. Potato Head with a dislodged eye on the ground by his feet and the slogan "Piece Out" in bright yellow letters.  Since this was a business meeting, he did add flip-flops to his ensemble.

The receptionist that greeted them was a cross between Aunt Bea from the Andy Griffith Show and Paula Dean, the troubled southern celebrity chef and purveyor of all things made with butter.

Frank told her that he and Jonesy were here to see Mr. Bullock about his missing daughter.  She responded, "Well bless your heart. Please have a seat and I'll let him know you're here". Frank had learned that "bless your heart" was the southern equivalent of "aloha" as it had multiple meanings.  It could mean, "Well that is wonderful". It could also mean, "You are beneath me and I know it, but I'm going to fake southern charm by using an empty compliment".

Frank and Jonesy took a seat on the "Gone with the Wind" style wing-back chairs in the reception area. Jonesy picked up an old copy of Southern Living and started to leaf through it. Frank took out his old style mini-tablet (spiral notebook) and started to make notes.

After about ten minutes, the receptionist announced, "Mr. Bullock will see you boys now." She then raised her ample self from her chair and escorted them to a corner office. If the receptionist area was a shrine to FSU, Travis Bullock's office was a Cathedral dedicated to the institution.  Most prominent in his office was a 3'X5' landscape portrait of a capacity football crowd at Doak S. Campbell Stadium on the FSU campus.  Only in the south are names like Doak and Dorcas viewed as normal.  Next to the monstrous photo was a picture of Travis with Bobby Bowden, the iconic former FSU football coach.  Only in the south can an 80-something year old man still be called Bobby.

Mr. Bullock sat behind his desk looking like he hadn't slept in some time.  His FSU colored tie (of course) was loosened and hung below his unfastened top shirt button.  He had a full mug of coffee that was about the size of a small bowl and two donuts in front of him that were uneaten.

"Gentlemen, I'm glad you agreed to come in today.  I must say that you were highly recommended to us by Samuel and several of his associates that are mutual acquaintances".

Frank stopped for a minute to comprehend that Samuel was the name that Fat Sam was known by to Travis Bullock.

"I suppose that we should talk about your rate and expenses before we get started", Bullock said in a raspy condescending voice.

"Actually sir, I'd rather get some information about your daughter's disappearance and determine if you need our services", Frank replied. "There is no reason to waste my time or your time and money if the police turn out to be correct about your daughter's status as a runaway."

"I assure you, Mr. Rozzani, she did not run away.  I do, however, respect your process and appreciate your honesty."

"If we do find reason to believe that the police got it wrong, we can then discuss compensation".

With the money discussion out of the way, Frank ran down a list of questions related to the Bullock clan.  As indicated on line through his Google search, the Bullocks had four children, two sons and two daughters.  The oldest son was Travis III or Trey as he was called.  He was 31 and an attorney in the state capitol of Tallahassee. Melissa, or Missy as she was known, was 29.  She was also a graduate of FSU like her parents and older sibling.  She majored in partying and minored in business and was now an interior designer/party girl in Savannah Georgia.  Her father was not particularly proud of Missy based on his tone while discussing her. Their third child, Robert Bowden Bullock was 24 and lived in parts unknown in Europe.  He spent a semester abroad in Spain and never came back except for family events and only when his parents paid for the trip.  He had abandoned his southern conservative roots for a more Bohemian lifestyle.  The missing girl, Margaret "Maggie" Bullock was 16.  The Bullocks were 40 when she entered their lives as a surprise baby.  She was a model student and private school attendee since pre-kindergarten.  For all of the trouble wrought upon Mr. and Mrs. Bullock by their other three children in terms of drinking, drugs, and carousing, Maggie appeared to be a candidate for sainthood. She had straight-A's, was popular, and was an active member in the church to which the Bullocks belonged.

"Mr. Bullock, my research tells me that you were a prominent member of the First Baptist Church here in town until about five years ago", Frank asked. "Yet your daughter disappeared from the retreat associated with another church."

"You certainly did your homework, Mr. Rozzani. You are correct. We no longer belong to First Baptist.  We made the switch to Christianity Today about five years ago", Bullock affirmed.

"What caused your family to switch churches after such a long affiliation?" Frank probed.

Bullock shifted in his seat nervously at the question. "Let's just say it was time for a change.  The reason for the change is not relevant here."

"I understand sir, I just want to be thorough in my investigation", Frank replied faking an apologetic tone.

"Pardon my evasiveness, Mr. Rozzani. It has been a difficult time and I'm just trying to bring Maggie home."

After a few more questions about the mega-church, "Christianity Today", Frank asked if Mrs. Bullock was in and would be willing to speak. Mr. Bullock rested his chin on his hands and sighed. "We are handling Maggie's disappearance quite differently.  I need the distraction of work. Peg needs to immerse herself in Maggie's memory.  She spends hours looking at photos, reading Maggie's poetry, and going to Maggie's room as if she expects her to be lying on her bed studying when she opens the door.  I feel that, if I work as if nothing happened, it will all go away".

"I'm sorry for the situation, Mr. Bullock", Frank said. "We will do our best to discover what's happened.  I would like to talk to your wife, however, if you think she is up to it."

"She is a strong woman Mr. Rozzani.  This has pushed her close to the edge, but I believe she would do anything to help.  Faith will give you my home address before you leave", Bullock said, standing up to dismiss Frank and Jonesy.

Frank and Jonesy rose from the comfortable, but not too comfortable, leather guest chairs and stopped by the receptionist's desk.  Faith, the now-identified receptionist, gave Frank a card with an address that was handwritten on the back.  The address was handwritten on the back and was in the upscale Sawgrass Village community near the PGA golf course.  Frank and Jonesy said their goodbyes to Aunt Bea/Paula Dean/Faith and headed for the parking lot.



© 2013 Don Massenzio


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

72 Views
Added on August 30, 2013
Last Updated on August 30, 2013


Author

Don Massenzio
Don Massenzio

Jacksonville, FL



About
I'm a musician, writer, dreamer, not sure what I want to be when I grow up, but writing is definitely part of my life. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Don Massenzio


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Don Massenzio


Chapter 4 Chapter 4

A Chapter by Don Massenzio