Chapter 24

Chapter 24

A Chapter by Don Massenzio
"

Frank returns to Cobb's estate.

"

Frank had a strange feeling as he approached the Cobb property. Something didn't seem right. When he pulled up to the guard shack prepared to do whatever it took to get on the property, he was almost disappointed when he found it deserted. The gate was closed, so he cautiously got out of his care and tried the door so he could flip the switch that opened it. The door was locked. Frank grabbed his Glock from the glove compartment, wrapped an old towel around it, and broke the glass on the door. He unlocked the door, opened it and flipped the switch opening the gate. He drove through and followed the driveway to the main house. Frank parked by the front door, grabbed his Glock, and tried the door. It was unlocked.

Without stopping, he went directly to Cobb's office expecting to find it empty. What he found shocked him. Cobb was slumped over his desk. An empty scotch bottle was next to him tipped over. Blood, brain matter, and bone covered the curtains, window, and wall behind the desk. Cobb had a pistol in his hands. The smell of gun powder and gore filled Frank's nostrils. This was not good. Cobb was the quickest path to finding Maggie and saving the other girls as well. Now everything Cobb new was splattered all over the office. What had caused him to take such a drastic course of action? Frank couldn't waste much time contemplating the situation. He left the office and crossed the property to the outbuilding that served as the dormitory. Last night, some of the rooms were occupied. He needed to save those girls if possible. As he entered the unlocked building, he went to one of the rooms and found Dawn Marie helping a very pregnant teen with long hair pack a small suitcase.

"Where are you taking her?” Frank asked, startling Dawn-Marie.

"I called the Clay County Women's Shelter. They're sending a van. I didn't know what else to do".

"Why the urgency?"

"Well, when you showed up asking about the clinic, I called Mr. Cobb for advice. He told me that because of one of our recent uncooperative patients, we had better shut down immediately. When I got here, I realized that he didn't tell me what to do about the girls. When I went into the house, I heard a gunshot and then I found him like that in his office. It was such a mess".

"Stop packing. The girls are going to stay here until I contact the authorities and ask them the right thing to do. Now tell me about this difficult patient".

"Her name was Maggie. She tried to run away her first night here. We had to restrain her. Mr. Cobb was afraid she would harm herself or the baby so he gave the termination order".

"Termination order. You mean murder her?”

"Of course not. The termination order means terminating the pregnancy and discharging her as a patient".

"Discharging her to where?"

"I don't know the location. I only know that Mr. Cobb has a half-way house where they are prepared for life after their pregnancy. Then, I assume, they are free to go".

"Dawn Marie, I'm going to make a call. I would suggest that you stay here and be ready to answer some questions".

"Is this going to affect Robert and our medical practice?"

"I don't know. Why do you care? You have bigger problems in store if you don't cooperate and Robert should have known better".

"Cobb forced him to do it. He threatened to reopen the malpractice case. W would lose everything".

"We?"

"Yes. Robert is my husband".

Frank shook his head in disgust and went outside to call Jonesy.

"Jones", came the response.

Frank told him what he discovered on Cobb's property.

"Well, FDLE will be there to take control. They have been instructed to take orders from you and to provide you with any evidence you think will help find Maggie".

"Good work. I guess the deputy AG didn't get mad at you".

"No. He said he would help cover my tracks and offered me a job again. He is also issuing warrants to seize Dr. Wells' records and wants to personally head up the investigation of Judge Jameson, but first and foremost, he wants us to find his sister".

"I think our best bet is to look at the evidence here at Cobb's place. Now that we can search the place in the light of day, we might find other clues that will lead us to Maggie.  Stand by with your computer".

"I have 3.6 Gigahertz of power and I'm not afraid to use it".

The first FDLE vehicles were starting to arrive as Frank hung up. FDLE stands for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement which is a statewide police force. They are more powerful than any local police force or the state troopers and are the equivalent of Florida's FBI. FDLE personnel descended on Cobb's property like a small army. They brought panel-type evidence gathering trucks and even a small bus, presumably for the girls. Frank was approached by a giant of a man wearing a dark suit and sunglasses.

"Are you Rozzani?" he asked.

"I am".

"I'm special agent in charge Hammersmith. I have orders from the top to follow your lead. You say jump, and we'll say 'how high'.

Frank briefed Hammersmith on the situation starting with Cobb's suicide and then told him what evidence they needed to look for.

"This guy was one sick character".

"Yes he was"

"I'll have the victims evacuated and we'll remove the body to start with. Then we'll secure the crime scene and start gathering evidence with a focus on Cobb's office. My team will go over everything quickly and thoroughly. You and I will man the command center and go through anything relevant".

Frank understood the FDLE process, but he really wanted to be involved in the search. A command center was quickly set up in Cobb's living room which was a short distance from his office. Long tables, computers, and telephones were also set up for their use. Frank really hoped they found something relevant. Not only did he want to save Maggie, but he was also afraid of how much taxpayer money Travis Bullock III was putting on the line.

After about 20 minutes, Cobb's body had been removed and the first files began to come out. Everything was carefully categorized before it went to Frank and Hammersmith for review. Frank knew what to expect from each of the drawers, but had to project some amount of surprise.

Finally, the ledger came out and Frank quickly showed Hammersmith the coding for the names in each entry. This had to move along.

"So we think Cobb was kidnapping these girls, keeping them until they had their babies, selling the babies and then selling the girls into human trafficking", Hammersmith concluded. "What a sick b*****d. There must be 500 girls on the list".

Frank was glad to see Hammersmith figure out the case so quickly.

"And, Maggie Bullock was his law partners' daughter. I repeat, what a sick b*****d".

Hammersmith went into Cobb's office to relay this latest information to his team so they could refocus their search for relevant evidence.

About ten minutes later, one of the FDLE team members emerged with a leather-bound notebook.

"This was in a false bottom under the pencil drawer", she told Hammersmith.

That was one place Jonesy and Anita didn't have a chance to look. Frank opened the notebook as Hammersmith watched over Frank's shoulder.

The notebook was in the same scrawling handwriting as the ledger. It had five columns. The first had numbers separated by commas. This was followed by a column containing a string of characters, then a date, another string of characters, and an amount. There were no titles over the columns. Frank tried his code deciphering technique on the first column of characters. It read CVAZJ. Frank translated it to DUBAI.

"I think you're on to something, Rozzani", Hammersmith said.

Frank moved on to the fourth column. It read ZYDMLBCSRL. It translated to AXELMAERSK.

"That doesn't make sense to me", Frank said.

"I don't recognize it either", Hammersmith agreed.

"It's a ship", a voice said from behind Hammersmith. It was the female FDLE office who had discovered the notebook.

"What's that agent?"

"It's a ship. Maersk is a shipping company. It's probably a cargo ship".

"It makes sense", Frank said. "We need to confirm it, though".

"We can check with the Port of Jacksonville office. If we can get their cargo ship manifests, we might find something", Hammersmith said.

"I might have a quicker way if I can photograph these pages".

"Normally, I would say 'no way', but Tallahassee has given you a blank check. Let's speed this up if we can".

Frank used his phone to photograph the pages and then called Jonesy.

"What have you got, Frank".

"Another task for you".

Frank explained the notebook pages.

"So the names follow the same pattern. Great. I wrote a little program to translate the names on the ledger to save time. It will work on the notebook pages as well".

"Great, we need this quickly".

"Frank, one more thing. On the ledger, do you remember that some of the entries had A's in the date column"?

"Yea. What does it mean?"

"None of the entries with An 'A' had corresponding adoption records and the amount was blank. I think the 'A' stands for babies that were aborted. Out of 562 entries, there are 47 A's".

"Great, add murder to Cobb's list of things we could have charged him with".

"I'll let you know what I find from these pages".

"Thanks"

When Frank hung up, Hammersmith gave him a curious look.

"What?"

"So, you had access to the ledger before today?"

"We may have come across it during our investigation".

"Did your investigation have anything to do with that hole we found in the fence at the back of the property? You could have saved us some time".

"Agent Hammersmith, you and I both know that evidence discovered without going through the proper channels is not usable in court. I knew that your fine team would find it quickly. The notebook, however, is new. The agent here found that on her own and knew that the second character string was a ship. That saved us a lot of time and possibly some lives".

"Yes. Good job agent... What is your name?” Hammersmith asked.

"Agent Shurr, sir".

"Nice work Shurr. When this is over, let's be sure to talk about your future with FDLE".

Just then, Frank's cell phone came to life. It was Jonesy.

"Did you run into a problem, Jonesy?"

"No. I'm done. They are all cargo ships. The dates associated with each one are the date that they set sail from Jacksonville and the cities were their destinations. I don't even want to think about the dollar amounts. If our analysis is right, Cobb sold those girls into human trafficking rings for less than he sold each of their babies. Why?"

"We may never know, Jonesy. What about the numbers in the first column?"

"As I compared the notebook to the ledger, the numbers of the entries on the ledger are all associated with dates that are before the date the ship sailed from Jacksonville. The girls must have been grouped and shipped to each destination".

"That means they were kept somewhere while waiting to be shipped. Where?”

"I don't know, but here is the kicker; the last date in the notebook is tomorrow and the ship associated with it is bound for Qatar".

"Maggie could be designated for that ship"

"That's what I was thinking"

"Jonesy, I need you to brainstorm and figure out where Cobb holds the girls before they are sent overseas. I want to get to Maggie before she is loaded onto that ship".

"I'm already on it", Jonesy said as he hung up.


© 2013 Don Massenzio


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
Added on September 1, 2013
Last Updated on September 1, 2013


Author

Don Massenzio
Don Massenzio

Jacksonville, FL



About
I'm a musician, writer, dreamer, not sure what I want to be when I grow up, but writing is definitely part of my life. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Don Massenzio


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Don Massenzio


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Don Massenzio