Chapter 9

Chapter 9

A Chapter by Don Massenzio
"

Frank and Jonesy play at the Sun Dog; We meet Anita

"

Frank took another shower to wash off the day's events and any remaining snake residue.  He pulled on a fresh pair of shorts and a Newport Jazz Festival t-shirt and headed to the Sun Dog for dinner and a couple of hours of therapeutic jazz piano playing.  He decided to walk the two blocks and enjoy the atmosphere while collecting his thoughts.

Frank found Jonesy already sitting at their usual table.  He was sipping tea and enjoying a Cobb salad.  Frank took a seat and received a bowl of jambalaya with Mayport shrimp as soon as he settled in.  He looked at Jonesy and shook his head.

"What is it", Jonesy asked.

"This has been an action packed first day on this case", Frank said with a definite tone of understatement.

While they ate, they caught each other up on the events of the day.  When Frank filled Jonesy in on the contents of the discovered fifth notebook and Maggie Bullock's apparent pregnancy, Jonesy began to stroke his chin as he often did while formulating an idea.

"What is it?" Frank asked.

"Something about that church made me feel like there was more going on related to this case than I was being told. My digging into the background of their superstar pastor has hit a dead end that I think we need to get around. I think we might find some leads that the police either overlooked or are covering up", Jonesy said.

"I think we're on the same page", agreed Frank. "But we've already seen some retaliation for even considering this case.  If you want out, I understand."

"Hey, that window they broke at my shop was dirty.  They actually did me a favor.  I don't have to clean it and it will get replaced with a shiny new one", Jonesy said with a mischievous smile.

"OK, then. It's settled", Frank said as he got up. "But right now, we've got some music to play".

Frank and Jonesy headed inside and mounted the small stage in the corner across from the bar in the Sun Dog.  Jonesy kept a small drum kit on the stage that was used by whoever was playing. Frank sat down at the ancient looking Steinway upright. The cabinet was, indeed, ancient, but the guts and keys on the piano were brand new. It was a beautiful instrument with a great sound.  Already on the stage was Armand Bigtree. Never was a name so appropriate. Armand, at 6'5" dwarfed his full-sized upright acoustic bass. He was busy tuning it up and practicing some new bass lines with his massive, but quite nimble fingers.

With a quick nod, Frank indicated it was time to start and Jonesy counted them off into a speedy rendition of "On Green Dolphin Street". As the music started, the stress of the day melted away. The first hour set of their two hour gig went by quickly. After a fun arrangement of Dizzy Gillespie's "A Night in Tunisia", they took a break.

As Frank and Jonesy grabbed a Land Shark beer and a club soda respectively from the bar, Frank saw a familiar face that he was hoping to see, Anita Velasquez. Anita was a detective with the JPD. She and Frank had become friends based on their common interests. They both liked jazz, both had police backgrounds, and both were attracted to women. Velasquez had to keep this third interest secret. As the country had progressed in many ways, the southern United States were still not 100% tolerant of some aspects of modern society. Frank knew that Velasquez dealt with being hassled by Lieutenant Drake as well. Drake resented her intellect, talent, and gender. Frank was hoping that she could help them with the Bullock case by circumventing some of the barriers and dead ends they had encountered.

"Hey piano boy. You guys are sounding inspired tonight", Anita said as Frank approached her.

"We are just trying to measure up to Fat Sam's 'special guest', whoever that is", Frank replied.

"Heard you had some fun with Bubba today", Anita said with a subtle smile. Bubba was the name she called Drake because it fit him so well.

"How did you know?" Frank asked.

"He told me right before he ordered me not to help you and Jonesy with the Bullock case", she said. "So, what can I do to help you?"

"I was hoping you would say that", Frank said. He then filled her in on what he and Jonesy had found thus far.

"It's nice to know Bubba and his Bubbettes are consistently bad at their job. How did they miss that notebook?" she asked when Frank was done. "So are you thinking that CT and Pastor Rick have more to do with this than they are saying?"

"I think that we are on the right path based on my reptilian visitor and Jonesy's broken window. Someone doesn't want us continuing down the current path. That means that we will, of course", Frank said.

"What can I do?" Anita asked.

"We've hit a dead end with researching Pastor Rick before he came to Jacksonville. We can't find much on him during his days in Tulsa. If you could reach out to the authorities there, that would be a great start", Frank said.

"That shouldn't be a problem. You know, however, that Bubba's going to be pissed if he finds out that you found new evidence, specifically that notebook. You could argue, however, that Maggie Bullock's pregnancy gave her a reason to run away", Anita said.

"I suppose that would be correct if there weren't people that obviously don't want us looking into the case", Frank countered.

"That's true", she conceded. "I'll follow up with looking into the good pastor and let you know what I find out".

"Thanks. I owe you one", Frank said.

"You can pay me back by playing 'My Funny Valentine' when you guys go back up there", Anita said with a sad smile.

"No problem", Frank said. "It's one of my favorites".

Frank, Jonesy and Armand came back with a lively rendition of "Take the A Train", before honoring Anita's request and then finishing out their second set.  After their last tune, Fat Sam mounted the stage and took the microphone. He announced his "special guest" in his raspy Cajun voice. "Ladies and gentlemen. I found this gentleman playing his accordion at the beach walk for tips. He wasn't half bad so I asked him to bring a couple of friends over to play a bit for you. Please let me introduce to you Mr. Alfalfa Polka". As soon as he took the stage, all of the jazz aficionados immediately recognized him as the New Orleans legend Buckwheat Zydeco. He was between tour stops in Miami and Atlanta. It was the start of another special night at the Sun Dog.



© 2013 Don Massenzio


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

72 Views
Added on August 30, 2013
Last Updated on August 30, 2013


Author

Don Massenzio
Don Massenzio

Jacksonville, FL



About
I'm a musician, writer, dreamer, not sure what I want to be when I grow up, but writing is definitely part of my life. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Don Massenzio


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Don Massenzio


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Don Massenzio