Chapter 16

Chapter 16

A Chapter by Don Massenzio
"

Lucy is back home with Frank. Maggi'e parents receive an unexpected phone call.

"

There was other information in the file related to where Worthington was during his "missing years". As part of an elaborate plea bargain process, he was sent to a Christian "boot camp" for lack of a better term, instead of being tried as an adult, branded a sex offender, and potentially spending 30 years in prison.

Jonesy, Frank and Travis felt a new aggressive posture toward the pastor. He would now be a central figure in the investigation. They finished their pie and coffee and got up to leave. Bullock had agreed to email them the file. As they walked to their cars, Travis asked Frank to wait for a minute.

"I hope you weren't offended by the reference to your past, Frank. I had to do my homework", Bullock said.

"As little as I know you", Frank said "I would have been surprised if you hadn't checked up on me".

"For what it's worth, I'm sorry for your loss", Bullock said. "I appreciate you helping us deal with ours".

"It helps me cope", Frank said.

They shared a warm handshake as Bullock and Frank walked to their cars.

"Jonesy", Bullock said "If you ever want to apply your talents at a higher level, I will make room for you in Tallahassee".

"I'm at a good level right now", Jonesy said. "Besides, I don't want to invest in long pants and shirts with collars. Thanks anyway".

They all got back on I-10. Bullock headed west to Tallahassee and Frank and Jonesy headed east back to Jacksonville.

"Well, that was worth the trip", Jonesy said. "Now I get to visit my buddy Pastor Worthington once again".

It's going to be hard to get to him, especially now that he knows who you are", Frank said.

"Oh, I'm sure I'll find a way", Jonesy said.

"I'll follow up on Cobb", Frank said. I feel like he has something significant to do with this case".

"Sounds like the right approach", Jonesy said.

They traveled silently for about 15 minutes and Frank's cell phone rang. It was Nancy Rafferty.

"Hey doc. How's my favorite furry patient", Frank said answering the phone.

"She has bounced back remarkably well. She is ready to come home", Nancy said.

"Great. Why don't I pick up some dinner and you can make some of that great iced tea", Frank said.

"This is getting to be a habit", Nancy said. "It sounds great though".

As they said goodbye, Jonesy gave Frank a look.

"What?" Frank asked.

"Are you starting to live again", Jonesy asked.

"Maybe. I don't know. I haven't scared her away", Frank said.

He explained to Jonesy how he had opened up to Nancy.

"That's a big step. Next thing you know you'll be getting free vet care and you and Lucy will settle in with the doc. You could do worse, although I'm not sure she could", Jonesy joked.

"Let's not jump to conclusions here", Frank said. "She is fun to hang out with and Lucy likes her".

"Whatever you say", Jonesy said.

Frank dropped Jonesy off and headed for his trailer. He needed to do a little digging and Cobb and then he had a dog to pick up. He missed her more than he could admit.

Cobb was not in the office or in his Ponte Vedra home according to the Bullocks. Frank had a hunch that there might be other properties that Cobb could retreat to. Frank sat down at his computer and began to research. The immediate Jacksonville area consisted of several counties. The city of Jacksonville is in Duval County. The borders of the county and the city limits are the same making Jacksonville the second largest city, in terms of square mileage, in the world. Shanghai China is the largest. To the south of Jacksonville is St. John's County. To the east is the Atlantic Ocean. To the West is Clay County and to the north is Georgia. Each county offered a searchable "Clerk of the Courts" web site which contained property records that were publicly available. Frank started with Duval and St. Johns counties and only found Stanton Cobb's $1.8 million home in Ponte Vedra. When he searched the Clay County web site, he found several Cobbs and Drakes. He did find a 10 acre property in the name of Stanton Cobb in Green Cove Springs which was just over the border of St. Johns County into Clay County.  The property had been under a Cobb name for over 150 years dating back to Civil War times. Stanton Cobb took ownership of the property when his father died in 1970. Frank thought a trip to Clay County was just what he needed tomorrow. In the meantime, he had food to pick up and a dog to bring home. Another evening with Nancy without the burden of his hidden past would be a bonus.

His phone rang again as he was pulling into the Loop restaurant to pick up some burgers and some of their great French fries. It was Velasquez.

"Hey Anita", Frank answered.

"Hey piano boy", she said. "I just wanted to give you a quick update. Bubba stopped in here today to pick up some things and he looked awful. When I asked him what was wrong, he was very evasive and mumbled something about a family emergency and that he was going to be out for a couple of weeks. When I offered him help, he just shook his head and said 'no thanks'. I almost felt sorry for the b*****d and then I remember who he is".

"Interesting", Frank said.

He then told her about the property in Green Cove Springs and about the other details of the case.

"Hey, I'm off tomorrow. How about if I join you on your little road trip?" Anita asked.

"Sounds good, but I don't want you to get in trouble with Drake", Frank said.

"We're just two friends taking a ride. He has no reason to get mad. Unless, of course, he's doing something wrong", Anita said.

"It's a date. We'll head out around ten", Frank agreed.

"Ten is good, but it's not a date, though. You're not exactly my type. Now your friend, the vet, she's more my speed", Anita joked.

"Too much information", Frank said. "See you at my trailer at ten".

Frank went in and got the food. He then made the short drive to Nancy's. This time, when he pulled in, Lucy jumped up to greet him. She walked up to him looking pitiful with her shaved and stitched up hip, but basically looked to be back to normal. Frank patted her head, but her attention was on the Loop burgers and fries. She was definitely back to normal. Nancy was sitting on the porch with a large pitcher of iced tea, two glasses, and a dog dish.

"Lucy seems to be good as new", Frank said.

"She's about 90%. I wouldn't take her on a full run tomorrow", Nancy said. "Take a couple of days to work up to it. Here stitches will dissolve and her fur will grow back before you know it".

They sat down on the porch and ate their burgers and fries in silence. Frank broke the silence saying, "This tea is great. I need the recipe".

Nancy laughed. "Just drive to Publix Super Market and buy a gallon with some lemons and you're done", she said.

"OK", Frank said, ever the smooth talker. "Um, I wanted to thank you for listening last night. It was good to get it off of my chest".

"I'm always here to listen", Nancy said taking Frank's hand.

Frank felt nervous, but warm from her touch. He didn't pull away, but just sat holding hands with Nancy for a while. He felt better than he had in a very long time.

"Well, I have a big day tomorrow", Frank said after a while. "Anita and I are following up on a lead and have a short road trip".

"Anita, huh", Nancy said with a smile. I'd say I'm jealous, but I think I know better".

"Anita is the sister I never wanted", Frank said. "She's a great cop and that's what matters".

They sat for a while longer and then Frank got up to leave. Lucy jumped up to go with him.

"Thanks for dinner", Nancy said.

"It's the least I can do", Frank answered. "You've healed Lucy and you've started healing me too".

Nancy moved in and kissed him on the cheek and hugged him. Frank hugged her back enjoying the smell of her hair and the feel of her body against his. He forced himself to pull away and awkwardly said good night. He and Lucy walked to the car and got in for the short ride home.

When they got to the trailer, Lucy jumped out of the car with a little whimper forgetting the stitches in her hip. She tentatively walked to the dog door, sniffing every inch along the way, and cautiously entered the trailer. Frank unlocked the door and went in. He found Lucy searching the kitchen where the snake had been. Once she was satisfied it was gone, she hopped on the bed and was out like a light. Frank felt that life was somewhat in balance. He was going to sit at the computer and read through the Worthington file. Just then, his phone rang. It was Travis Senior.

"Hello Mr. Bullock", Frank answered.

"Mr. Rozzani. I'm sorry to call you so late, but I wanted to let you know that Maggie just called us", Bullock said. "She called to tell us that she ran away and that she is OK".



© 2013 Don Massenzio


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

79 Views
Added on September 1, 2013
Last Updated on September 1, 2013


Author

Don Massenzio
Don Massenzio

Jacksonville, FL



About
I'm a musician, writer, dreamer, not sure what I want to be when I grow up, but writing is definitely part of my life. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Don Massenzio


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Don Massenzio


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Don Massenzio