Chapter Two: Chicago

Chapter Two: Chicago

A Chapter by The old me

        

            I bought a one way ticket here, mainly because I have no clue what I’m doing in life. I have always had the freedom to try to make a life for me. I was a writer. I say “was” because I haven’t wrote because she died. She was inspiration.

Katie was Rose’s best friend since they were three. She was like a black haired version of Rose. Both had hazel eyes, same body type and were almost the same person at times. I never really had spoken to her before this. I had only seen her in pictures and hear her in stories.

But now, I sit across from her, talking about the woman I love. She repeats the stories I always loved to hear.

We eat our lunch and decide to walk around the city. We stare at beautiful tall building. I’m stunned by their amazement style and grace. She is used to it because she has lived here her whole life.

She turns to me and speaks.

“So I’m taking over Rose’s job.”

Rose was in charge of editing at Red Mustang publishing. The book company that housed my seven book series that give me my small wealth. I was only on book three and was far behind my deadline for the fourth. Rose worked in editing. She was my first choice for editor for three reasons. One, because it allowed me to make many trips here to visit her and go over work. Two, because she was good writer herself and helped me a lot to my idea process. And three, she liked the series.

We met at a book signing for my first unrelated novel. It was love at first site for me and the rest was history.

“Can you do the work?”

“Yes, I was an English major at NYU for three years till I dropped out.”

“Why did you drop out?”

“My ex-fiancé left me at the alter and I just was too depressed to go back.”

“I’m sorry to hear that. When did it happen?”

“Last year.”

“Sorry. And for the topic of working. You should probably look for something else. I’m done writing.”

“Why aren’t you writing?”

“Well I wrote for her. I just lack the motivation now.”

“Well I guess it’s my job to fix that so I can actually have a job.” She laughs.

We can continue to talk about life. She gets a call from Rose’s ex-roommate. All of her friends were going meet up tonight. She finishes the call and turns to me.

“You should come tonight.”

“They all hate me. I think you were the only one who remotely liked me.”

“Well that’s because I saw how happy you made her and all you did for her.”

“I just don’t think it’s a good idea if I show up.”

“Please come.”

“Ok…”

We head to Rose’s apartment which I only had been there once. Her friends hated me because I took her away to Colorado, my home, towards the end of her life. I understood why because they wanted to spend time with her too. But we loved each other and wanted to be together as much as possible.

Her family hated me the most. I never really got close to them or for the matter of fact, really even talked to them much. They never approved of me. But they also didn’t approve of any of her boyfriends or friends. So that didn’t bother me.

We arrive at the apartment building. I hesitate to go in. But Katie grabs my hand and pulls me inside. We go up the stairs to the floor which had the apartment of my love. We knock at the door and Rose’s ex-roommate answers. He recognizes me and instantly gets mad.

“What is he doing here?”

Katie answers. “He’s in town and I invited him.”

“He needs to leave. Matt will be here soon.”

Matt was Rose’s previous boyfriend. They were together for a while but things eventually dissolved awhile before I met her. He stayed in her life and wanted what they had back. Which may have happened if I didn’t enter her life. To say the least, this guy hated me.

I turn to Katie and tell her

“I’ll leave.”

I turn to go and there he is walking towards me. Before I really have a chance to defend myself with words or fists, I get knocked to the floor by a hard fist. When I get up to defend myself, Matt is being held down by others from the party who came out.

I get up. He yells.

“Leave now.

I do. I won’t fight, because Rose wouldn’t have wanted that.

I turn and head down the stairwell. I hear footsteps following. I turn, ready for round two but it’s only Katie. She tells me to follow her and we get out of there. And it’s the last time in a while I’m in this terrible city of Chicago.



© 2011 The old me


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a good chapter with a tense situation.
If you would like to correct:
Should be a S at the end of building:
"We stare at beautiful tall building. "
In this line add the letter A after was:
"Two, because she was good writer herself and helped me a lot to my idea process."
Add the word 'to' after going:
"All of her friends were going meet up tonight. "
This line needs a ending quote:
" “Leave now. "

Posted 12 Years Ago


I can relate to the lack of motivation. Ex fiancee left her. thats sad. nevertheless, good chapter. 100

Posted 12 Years Ago


Where is Chicago?Is it you create it?

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

370 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 28, 2011
Last Updated on August 24, 2011


Author

The old me
The old me

Los Angeles, CA



About
If you notice some of my work is gone, that is because it is. I trimed down to put only a few on the site. Message me if you want to know anything about me. I'm an open book more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..