Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Molly

Ava,

           

            We won’t be back until next Monday. Call us or Mrs. Saunders if you need anything at all. We love you and we’ll see you in a week.

 

            -Mom and Dad

 

            I put the note back on the counter and turn around to open the fridge, completely unfazed by my parents’ news. It’s not the first time that they’ve left town on such short notice just for business.

            I frown at the contents of the fridge. There’s only a couple of plastic containers full of food from the past couple of weeks, half a loaf of bread, and a bottle of apple juice. I let out a small sigh as I pull out the apple juice and place it on the counter. It’s most likely my parents “gift” to me in order to apologize for leaving me alone in our big empty house once again.

            It’s hard to imagine how they think it still bothers me. They’re rarely home for longer than two days at a time before they’re gone for a week or more on another business trip.

            Making a poor excuse of a dinner, I head upstairs to my room and sit down at my desk. I open up my laptop and begin to scroll through Facebook, reading my friends’ statuses about how they had a great first day back at school. I roll my eyes at how they all sound so overly excited and peppy. They’re all excited to embark on their senior year of high school, while I’m dreading every second of it.

            I continue scrolling down the page and end up stopping on a picture of one of my friends, Dianna, and another girl named Claire. I freeze as I stare at the picture, completely ignoring Dianna’s overly happy expression and only focusing on Claire. Her long blonde hair looks absolutely flawless, there’s not a single mark on her skin, and her brown eyes seem to practically glow in the photo. She has the perfect figure, smile, hair, skin, b***s, and basically everything that a guy could want. Like most of the people at my school, she comes from money and she loves to flaunt it.

Claire is the most popular girl at our school and I’ve gone to the same school as her since I was in kindergarten. I used to play with her on the playground and we would scream as Billy Yuma would chase after us because he wanted to kiss Claire on the cheek. Now we’re both in our senior year and boys are still chasing after her, but she likes to act like I don’t exist. I might as well be at the bottom of the social pyramid at my school, while she sits on a throne at the top. It’s strange to think that we actually used to laugh and play together, while now she only gives me a cold stare when she walks by me in the hallway or we make eye contact in class.

I personally don’t care about being popular or having all the attention on myself. It seems almost too stressful and I don’t see the need to have that kind of pressure. Everyone basically watches Claire’s every move and it seems more than exhausting. However, it is nice to be noticed sometimes, but I feel like I’ve managed to go through my life being completely invisible.

I lift my head and turn to look in the mirror above my dresser. I don’t see beautiful blonde hair or soft brown eyes. Instead I see wavy brown hair that hangs just passed my breasts and large green eyes. I smile at myself in order to see if my appearance can manage to be even a little appealing, but all I see is a set of perfectly straight teeth, the only quality I actually do have thanks to braces, and small dimples poking into my cheeks. My eyes still look sad, which makes me let my smile fade after a few moments.

I turn back to my computer and look at Claire’s picture once again before slowly scrolling down more. I shake my head a little in order to clear the negative thoughts from my mind. I know that I shouldn’t compare myself to girls like Claire and I continue to tell myself how ridiculous I’m being. I don’t need someone to tell me I’m beautiful all the time or for guys to chase after me. After high school none of these people will matter anymore and we’ll all start college so we can prepare ourselves for the “real world.” Technically these people shouldn’t even matter now.

I roll out my shoulders a little, which makes me feel slightly better. I continue to scroll and read people statuses, when suddenly I hear my computer chime telling me that I have received an instant message. I look and find a message from my friend, Hannah, waiting for me.

 

hannahbbyxo: Avs, oh my God! I had the best first day ever! I can’t even begin to tell you how amazing it was!

 

The rest of the message goes on about how one of the popular guys, Dean Snyder, smiled at her in the hallway after first period and then ended up sitting next to her in Anatomy. She states that they didn’t say anything to one another, but she swore she saw him glancing at her a couple of times. She then tells me about how Claire came up to her and Dianna in the hallway and how excited they were because she actually knew their names and had a real conversation with them. She then attaches a link to the picture of the three of them standing in front of the choir room. Dianna and Hannah look like they’re taking a picture with an actual celebrity, then again, Claire does look like some sort of celebrity.

I type back and tell her how happy I am for her and that it’s clearly going to be a great senior year. I know these are the things that she wants me to say. She probably wants me to ask for more details on Dean or what Claire and her talked about, but I’m not in the mood to ask for information that I don’t actually want.

After I press send not a minute goes by before I hear my instant messenger chime once again.

 

hannahbbyxo: Oh, and there’s this new guy who is totally delicious! Seriously, Ava. He is literally the most attractive guy at Wilson. Probably the most attractive guy I’ve ever seen in my life actually! I’m talking model status. His name is Harrison Lunn and he’s a total babe. Dark brown hair and the most gorgeous blue eyes you will ever see. I literally died when I saw him.

 

hannahbbyxo: Claire already has her sights set on him though. Dumb b***h (lol, just kidding. Love her). I saw them talking in the hallway earlier and she was giggling and touching his arm. I’m sure they’ll be dating in no time.

 

I read Hannah’s messages and bite my lip gently. Of course this new guy is going to be completely taken with Claire. She’s perfect.

I type back a quick reply telling her how I haven’t seen him around and that I’m sure Claire will get sick of him after awhile because let’s face it, she’s way out of any guys league. I cringe at how stupid I sound in the whole message. All my friends do these days is gossip and obsess over their social status, all of which I couldn’t care less about. Sometimes I ask myself why I choose to surround myself with these kind of people, but I realize that I’ve been friends with Hannah, Dianna, and our other friend Jacqueline since the third grade. We’ve all been through basically everything together and not being friends with them just seems wrong. Without them, I have no one. Except my parents, who are never around, and a few people from my dance studio.

 

hannahbbyxo: That’s the thing though! It’s like Harrison is totally out of Claire’s league! I mean, she’s gorgeous so they will probably end up together, but she was flirting with him in the hall and he just looked so uninterested! He was listening, but he wasn’t drooling all over her or anything, you know? It was so weird. I wonder if she even noticed.

 

He wasn’t totally falling all over Claire? How odd. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone not stare and gawk at Claire. What makes this guy so different?

 

hannahbbyxo: Alright, Avs! I better go! My mom and her boyfriend (yuck) are calling me down for dinner. I’ll see you tomorrow morning when you pick me up! Love you!

 

Before I can even reply Hannah has signed off. I reread her messages about Harrison and Claire and can’t help but furrow my brow slightly.

How could this guy not be completely entranced by Claire? Every guy wants her, so why wouldn’t he?

I search Harrison Lunn on Facebook, but I find nothing. I furrow my brow once again and close out of my Internet, shutting my computer after.

Maybe Harrison is gay. Claire could be totally barking up the wrong tree and just end up finding out Harrison plays for the other team. God that would be funny.

I can’t help but smile to myself as I get up from desk and move onto my bed, grabbing my book as I lean back onto my pillows. I know that I shouldn’t care so much about Claire and any relationship that she has with the opposite sex, but I can’t help but wonder what makes Harrison so special. Why would he blow off Claire instead of the other way around?

            After letting my mind focus on the idea for too long and having to reread the same paragraph three times, I decide that I need to see this guy. I need to know what makes him so different from all of the other guys who attend Wilson.

 

~

 

I wake up the next morning to my alarm clock screaming at me at the early hour of six in the morning. Not a single part of me wants to get out of bed and face a full day of school, work, and homework. However, I know that since it’s only the second day of school that I’m entitled to go, so I drag myself out of bed and head to the bathroom to take a shower and make myself look acceptable.

 

I pull up to my friend Hannah’s house at exactly 6:50 and text her to come outside. I already know that it will take her about five minutes to come out because she’s always “fashionably late.”

Hannah and my other two best friends, Dianna and Jacqueline, always dress as if they are some sort of models or celebrities whenever they go out somewhere. I swear my whole school is just one big fashion show and everyone is competing to hold the title of best dressed, which is something else Claire possesses.

I, on the other hand, prefer to wear braided sandals or slip on flats with just some jeans and a sweater everyday. Granted, my clothes are still from expensive brands and are good quality, but I just don’t put as much effort into my look as other people do. I don’t wear any makeup, I always found it gross and uncomfortable, and I just let my hair air dry into its natural waves everyday. It’s what I’ve comfortable with over the years.

I see the door to Hannah’s house open and she quickly runs down the walkway to my car. As soon as she opens the door she begins to talk so fast it practically makes me feel dizzy.

“Oh my God, Ava! I’m so freaking excited for today! I just found out last night that I have my third period class with…wait for it…CLAIRE COTILLARD. Can you believe that!? She posted her schedule up on Facebook last night and I almost fainted when I saw we had the same class! Oh, and you’ll never guess what else! That new boy, Harrison, who is totally delicious and I wish I could definitely get in between the sheets with, yeah, well he’s in the class too! At least that’s what I heard. Oh my God, I swear I could die. Do you think they’ll sit together? Do you think they’ll let me sit with them? I would seriously give anything to sit next to them and spend ninety minutes talking with them. How great would that be? Maybe Claire and I could actually become best friends! Not that I don’t love you and the other girls, I’m just saying that being best friends with Claire too would be ah-mazing!”

The rest of the car ride went something like this until be pull into the parking lot at school and find a spot. As we get out of the car, we spot Jacqueline and Dianna leaning against Jacqueline’s new car, a 2013 Escalade. Huge smiles are spread across their faces as they run across the parking lot to us and exchange hugs with one another. They know that I’m not really the touchy type, so they don’t include me in their unnecessary reunion.

“Ava, you look so adorable! I wish that I could dress like you and still look like that much of a babe.” Jacqueline smiles at me and I resituate the strap of my bag on my shoulder, slowly returning her smile as a thank you. I’m not good at accepting compliments, unlike all of them.

“I know, right!? Avs, you are gorgeous. I wish I had that freaking natural olive skin of yours that tans so beautifully. I always burn like a lobster when we go tanning at the pool.” Dianna adjusts her dirty blonde curls on her head and then pulls out a mirror in order to check her lipstick.

They’re all so obsessed with how they look it practically makes me sick.

I smile awkwardly and just shrug at their compliments. I can’t tell if they’re actually being nice or they are just trying to make me feel better. There is an obvious difference between my friends and I that you can see as soon as you look at us. They like to wear skirts with tights and sequined tops everyday, while I usually just resort to a clean pair of American Eagle jeans. I’m not saying that I don’t like to wear skirts, tights, dresses, etc. I just don’t see the need to wear them everyday as if I’m somebody.

None of my friends seem to notice my awkwardness and they all begin to chat excitedly about the day of school ahead of them as we walk into school.

My friends and I begin to walk our usual lap around the school so they can, “scope things out,” just so they knew what was happening around school. I find it odd and completely unnecessary, but they always say it is crucial to their morning routine and their social status somehow.

When we near the gyms, I can see a change in my friends’ demeanor. They stand up more straight, fix their hair slightly, and look as if they’ve just been injected with some confidence and happiness serum. I can’t help but roll my eyes at how ridiculous they’re being and think about walking to class instead.

However, as we get closer to where all the popular kids hang out I begin to remember Hannah mentioning the new boy, Harrison, and how he acted toward Claire. Suddenly, I am much more willing to walk toward the gyms just to see if this boy really was resistant to Claire’s charm and if he did, in fact, have Claire wrapped around his own finger.

When we finally round the corner I can see the large group of people standing in front of the gyms, laughing and looking as if they could be at a photo shoot instead of at school.

My friends stay on the opposite side of the hallway from them, taking their place against the windows rather than approaching this large group. They’re more interested in seeing if any of the popular kids would actually approach them rather then trying to go up to their group. I just stand with all of them, staring at each of them as they talk amongst themselves, looking hopeful, but trying to seem relaxed and collected.

After awhile I get tired of watching them being cowards and begin to look toward the group of popular kids standing across from us. They all look way too happy to be at school and it makes my stomach churn slightly. I can’t even imagine being that glad to be in such an awful place. I’ve attended this high school with all of these familiar faces for more than three years now and I know that this place could be considered a form of hell.

Suddenly, as I’m scanning the group, I find a face that I’m not familiar with.

I have never seen him before, but there’s no denying that he is the hottest guy that I have ever seen in my entire life. It’s like he walked out of a Calvin Klein catalog, turned back his age a few years, and just pulled a backpack over his shoulder.

He was currently smiling at a boy who I recognized as Dean Snyder. He has a set of perfectly white and straight teeth that almost seem unreal. His hair is a caramel brown that is tossed in different ways, but still looks sexy. He’s currently wearing a burgundy sweater over a white V-neck that compliments his nicely tanned skin perfectly.

Seriously, he looks like he just walked off a runway and to for lack of a better word or phrase, this guy is seriously hot. However, I don’t feel this giddy feeling that most girls get when they see an extremely attractive boy and instead I just stare at him for a moment, wondering who he is.

Hannah doesn’t keep me wondering for long before she comes up next to me and smiles widely.

“That’s Harrison Lunn, you know, the one I was telling you about? He’s mouth watering, huh?”

I shrug my shoulders and nod a little bit. I wouldn’t say he’s mouth water, but he is hot.

As I continue staring at him I suddenly see Claire walk up to him and touch his arm slightly, trying to snag his attention. Harrison breaks his conversation with Dean and slowly turns his head toward Claire, but as he shifts his attention, his eyes unexpectedly meet mine.

I don’t feel the need to break eye contact, in fact, I feel completely relaxed. Harrison doesn’t break our eye contact either, he only slowly furrows his brow as he continues to stare at me.

I just stare at him, expressionless and completely calm. I slowly realize that it feels comfortable to be staring at him like this. It feels almost like I’ve known him my entire life and we’re just sharing a look that we’ve exchanged thousands of times.

In the end, it is me who ends our eye contact as I see Claire out of the corner of my eye, pulling on Harrison’s arm to gain his attention once again. I flicker my eyes from him to her and notice that she is now staring at me too, looking greatly annoyed with me.

When I look back up at Harrison, he smiles at me before he turns his head toward Claire and smiles at her as well, which sparks conversation between the two.

“Avs, you okay?”

I turn my head and find my three friends staring at me, looking confused, but still somehow distracted.

“Yeah, I’m fine. I think I’ll walk to class now. I’ll see you guys later.”

 

~

 

After AP Psychology I check my schedule to find the room number for my Honors Physics class. It ends up being on the other side of the school and I begin my annoying journey of dodging through the traffic of the halls.

When I finally arrive at my physics classroom with four minutes still remaining before class starts, I notice that my teacher has placed a piece of paper on one of the front tables that has a seating chart on it. I quickly find my name and head to my seat at the table third from the front on my left.

Once I’m situated in my seat, I begin to look around the room, noting the fact that I have to spend the rest of the school year in this room that feels like a literal meat locker. I rub my arms a little in order to warm myself up, but I know that it’s no use. My plastic chair and the table in front of my are freezing cold, which will only make matters worse. There’s no way I’m going to be able to pay attention in this class with such poor temperature.

As time goes by, more students begin to shuffle into the classroom, finding their seats and talking to each other about how they hate science. My table partner ends up being a girl I recognize named Jenna Salvador. We had math together our sophomore year and she always stared at me when my teacher turned his back to the class. This situation was just getting better and better.

Jenna takes her seat next to me and awkwardly glances over at me, which I acknowledge with a smile. Jenna didn’t reciprocate it though and began to take off her Michael Kors bag and set it on her half of the table. I could swear that she hates me, but I want to give her the benefit of the doubt.

When I check the clock above the door I see that there is only one minute before class starts and let out a small sigh. This was going to be a long school year.

Just before the bell rings I see someone bolt through the door from corner of my eye and see the familiar flash of pearly white teeth. I instantly know that this student is the one and only, Harrison Lunn, who has waited until the very last second to enter the classroom just like all the other popular kids do. 

Our teacher suddenly stands from his chair behind his desk and turns his attention away from the computer screen to Harrison. Harrison only flashes him a wide smile and gives him a nod, making some sort of greeting.

“How nice of you to join us, Mr.…?”

“Lunn.” Harrison stops to stand up straight and does his best Bond impression. “Harrison Lunn.”

All the girls in the room start to giggle and Harrison turns to the girl in the front row, winking at her.

I resist the urge to puke as I watch him smile proudly across the room. I keep my expression blank, attempting to ignore Jenna’s giggling next to me as she completely loses all of her brain cells.  

“Yes. Well, Mr. Harrison Lunn. If you would please take your assigned seat, then I would be happy to get class started.”

The man then approaches the table where the seating chart is and skims it, looking for Harrison’s name.

He suddenly point at me and furrows his brow.

“Right back there, behind,” he looks down again, “Ava Grimmond. Raise your hand please, Ava.”  

Everyone’s eyes shifted in my direction as I slowly raised my hand, feeling highly uncomfortable due to have all the attention on me now. Unlike Harrison, I don’t exactly strive to gain people’s attention, I usually avoid it.  

I let my eyes flicker over to Harrison as I see him start to head in my direction. He still wears the same half crooked smile across his face.

“Thank you, Ava.”

He looks highly amused as he waits for me to respond.

Instead of giving him a bright smile and giggling under his eyes, I slowly bring my hand down and just gave him a nod before turning my attention back to our teacher.

Once Harrison was seated, our teacher, who introduces himself as Mr. Hillard, begins to run through some of the classroom rules and his expectations. As he continues his little introduction, he places packets at the front table of each row to pass back, informing us that it was our syllabus for the year.

Taking the stack from the boy in front of me, I pass a packet over to Jenna and place one in front of me before turning around.

As I look up, I find Harrison’s eyes meeting mine, looking serious yet amused at the same time.

“Thank you, Ava.” He repeats his words from before, giving me a weak smile that looked annoyingly smug.

I furrow my brow at him as I drop the stack on his desk in front of his outreached hand.

“Don’t mention it.”

Before I turn away, I catch sight of his table partner, a dyed red head with chocolate brown eyes just staring at me with a bewildered expression.

Facing forward once again, I can hear Harrison chuckle behind me and I can picture him having that same smug smile spread across his lips.

Everyone might find Harrison Lunn to be extremely charming and mouth watering, but I find his cocky demeanor and assumptions that he has every girl wrapped around his finger to be highly annoying.

The rest of the class is a blur. I keep my mind off of Harrison and instead focus my attention on taking notes about the chapter one material Mr. Hillard was going over.

When the bell finally rings, I finish writing my last sentence before closing my notebook and placing everything back into my backpack. Other students already filed out of the classroom, but I decide to take my time in order not to get stuck in the heavy crowd.

As I slide my backpack on my shoulder and made my way out of the classroom, I hear Harrison’s familiar voice behind me. However, he wasn’t talking to me. He was making smooth conversation with the girl who had been assigned as his table partner.

I partially listen as I hear him say all the right things as she gushes and gives him overly happy responses. I can’t help but laugh to himself as I listen to her become putty in his hands.

“What’s so funny, Ava?”

I stop in my tracks as I hear my name, looking over to find Hannah and Dianna staring at me. I make my way to them, watching their eyes follow Harrison and the red head walk down the hall.

“Oh, nothing. Nothing important anyway.”

My friends seem to completely ignore what I have said and continue to gawk at Harrison before turning their wide eyes toward me.

“Is Harrison Lunn in your class?” Hannah asks in disbelief.

I nod and furrow my brow.

“Uh, yeah. We have Physics together. He sits right behind me.”

“He sits right behind you?” Dianna’s jaw drops in disbelief, looking as if I had just told her I was pregnant.

“Oh my God, Avs! You’re so lucky! That’s amazing! Did he say anything to you?”

The girls look at me expectantly and I just shrug and keep a nonchalant expression. Why were they making such a big deal out of this?

“Yeah, kind of. He thanked me twice.”

Hannah and Dianna giggle together, overjoyed by my encounter with Harrison.

“I can’t believe you actually talked to Harrison Lunn!” Hannah hooks her arm through mine and starts to lead us down the hallway, Dianna coming up on my other side.

“Oh, come on, guys. He’s just a normal high school boy. It’s not like he’s Ryan Gosling.”

Hannah laughs, “You’re right. He’s way better looking than Ryan Gosling!”

Dianna bumps into me gently.

“Come on, Ava. He’s not just normal. He’s undeniably attractive with those white teeth, that tossed caramel hair, and those killer blue eyes! Add the fact that he’s tanned, toned, and tall…I would call that a winner!”

I roll my eyes as we continue walking, trying to ignore how infatuated my friends have become with Harrison Lunn.

            As we continue to walk down the hallway, a boy named Simon Gustin suddenly cuts me off, almost causing me to bump into him.

            “Hello, Ava.” He gives me a creepy smile as he stares down into my eyes, his black curly hair twists off into every direction.

            “Hello, Simon.” I try to keep my voice upbeat, but in reality I can’t stand Simon. He’s convinced he’s the best thing to ever happen to Wilson’s performing arts department, except he never gets cast as any of the lead roles.

            Hannah and Dianna continue to stay by my sides, exchanging a disgusted look behind me back.

            “Is there something I can help you with?”

            He gives me a smug smile and crosses his arms, sizing me up a little bit. I instantly realize it was a mistake to ask him that question.

            “Have you heard what musical Daniels has chosen to do in the Spring?”

            Daniels is the head of the drama department and is in charge of all the plays and musicals that we perform. He’s the only teacher that I can actually stand at this school and I’ve become close with him since my first drama class during my freshman year. He’s the one who encouraged me to try out for the Fall play during that year in the first place.

            I shake my head and shrug, feeling greatly impatient.

            “Hairspray.” He continues to give me a smug smile, looking as if he’s enjoying some sort of private joke.

            I lift an eyebrow, unsure of what he’s getting at. “Okay?”

            Simon looks up into the air and rubs his chin.

            “It would seem that the actress who plays Tracy may need to be on the heavier side.” He brings his eyes back on me and looks me up and down.

            “What are you? A size zero?”

            I furrow my brow and tilt my head to the side slightly.

            “Are you saying that I won’t be cast as Tracy just because of my weight?”

            Simon lets a wide smile spread across his face and nods.

            “For being so heavily involved in the performing arts department, you sure are stupid. It’s called a fat suit, Gustin. It tends to be a key part of the costuming for the show considering Tracy and Edna are supposed to be larger women. Maybe you should do your research.”

            I’m not usually one to mouth off to anyone, but Simon has been on my case since freshman year and I can’t help but snap at him now and then.

            Hannah and Dianna begin to snicker next to me and Simon’s smug smile disappears as he uncrosses his arms.

            “I just really hope it’s not you who I’m kissing when I land the role of Link.” He then storms off and I roll my eyes, continuing to walk with my friends again.

            “Like he would ever get Link,” I laugh, but realize that neither of them probably know what I’m talking about.

            Ever since we were younger I was obsessed with Broadway and musicals, while they were more concerned with make up and purses. I’ve spent every afternoon in singing, dancing, or acting lessons, while they spent their time watching America’s Next Top Model. I chose musicals and plays as my extracurricular activity while they chose gawking at the boy’s soccer team everyday during practice as theirs’.

            “Yeah…Ava we meant to talk to you about that.”

            I look over to Hannah and give her a confused look.

            “Talk to me about what?”

            Dianna tugs on my arm, causing me to look over at her.

            “Well, we just wanted to talk you about the whole…play and musical thing.”

            Hannah’s pulls on my arm, turning my attention back to her.

            “You know that we love you and we’re just looking out for your best interest. We just think it would be a good idea if you didn’t do the whole acting thing this year, you know? No one at Wilson cares about that stuff anyway and barely anyone attends the shows.”

            “Including you guys,” I state.

            “That’s besides the point.”

            We finally come to a stop at the usual spot we meet Jacqueline for lunch and Dianna and Hannah move to stand side by side facing me.

            “Think about it, Ava. This is our senior year and we need to enjoy it as much as we can! Starting with cutting out all of the stuff that makes us look uncool. For you that’s the shows. I know you’re always the lead role in all of them, which is super cool, but it doesn’t really make you cool on everyone else’s level.”

            I shrug. “I don’t care. I don’t want to be cool on everyone else’s level then.”

            Dianna and Hannah exchange a look and then smile back at me.

            “Ava, doing those shows is social suicide and we won’t allow you to do them anymore.” Hannah crosses her arms and stares at me,  trying to seem authoritative. Dianna mirrors her and I stare back and forth between the two of them.

            “You’re serious?”

            Hannah nods, Dianna doing the same after a moment.

            “I’m sorry, guys. I’m doing those shows. They’re the only thing that actually makes me happy and that I know that I’m good at. You can spend your senior year worrying about what other people think of you, but I’m going to spend mine doing the only thing that I love.”

            I turn and walk away from them, heading toward the doors that lead out to the parking lot. I hear them call after me, noting the uncertainty in their voices. They know that they’ve actually hurt my feelings considering I usually brush things off, but this time they’ve taken it too far.

            As I make my way over to my car, I catch two people out of the corner of my eye sitting at one of the stone benches that is usually empty. I turn to look and catch a blur of red, realizing that Harrison Lunn and the red headed girl from before are currently sitting together, their lips locked and her hands rubbing his thigh.

            I want to look away from them, but for some reason I can’t. I guess I can’t believe that it has only been five minutes since we left class, yet Harrison has already made it to first base with a girl he just met. Then again, I sort of can.

            Suddenly, my foot comes into contact with a small rock and it bounces in front of me from the impact. I look forward for a moment to watch it and then turn back to Harrison and the girl, catching Harrison’s eyes in mine. The red head continues to kiss his neck and doesn’t seem fazed by what just happened at all.

            A half crooked smirk falls onto Harrison’s lips as he stares at me, causing a dimple in his left cheek to appear. I have to admit that the smile is very charming and most likely his secret weapon, but I just shrug it off. I keep my face smooth just as before and slowly turn away from him. I grip one of the straps of my backpack as I keep walking, slowly feeling an uneasiness come over me.

            What was Harrison’s problem? He obviously had Claire eating out of the palm of his hand, yet he was currently making out with the temporary red head that I had never even seen before. Plus, he had been acknowledging my existence, which was something no one, especially boys, tended to do.

            I take a deep breath as I slide into my car and start it up.

            One things for sure. I can already tell that Harrison is just going to be another one of those people I can’t stand. 



© 2013 Molly


Author's Note

Molly
Ignore grammar problems.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I actually really like this... you welrite really really well.... at the start some of the sentances were a little awkwarx, show dont tell and all that, but i really like this.Sorry for the short review but im dying to read the next chapter!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

278 Views
1 Review
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on May 29, 2013
Last Updated on June 1, 2013
Tags: love, teen, young adult, high school, nonfiction, dream


Author

Molly
Molly

About
I just completed my freshman year of college and I am a Elementary Education major. I have always had a strong passion for writing and reading, so I'm always writing short stories, poems, rambles, etc.. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Molly


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Molly


Without a Plan Without a Plan

A Book by Molly