Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by Molly

The rest of the school week goes by in a blur and by Friday I finally fall into a comfortable routine.

            I’ve spent the week basically all on my own due to my parents being gone and trying to avoid my “friends” since they confessed my shows were only a waste of time.   

            Even without being around my friends the whole week, I still manage to hear about Harrison Lunn almost every minute of everyday. In class I see girls sitting around me writing Harrison’s name on the desks with hearts. In physics I can’t focus due to girls’ heads constantly turning to look at the table behind me, watching Harrison’s every move.

            Needless to say, it’s all getting old already and I can’t help but wish that Harrison Lunn never showed up at this school. People were bad enough before, but now they all obsess about their looks and being noticed even more.      

            When the bell rings, dismissing the last class of the day I let out a sigh of relief. It’s finally the weekend and I can have a few days of freedom from cold classrooms and everyone’s infatuation with Harrison. If I hear one more person mention how Claire and him are probably going to be dating in no time then I think I might lose it.

            As I leave my classroom, I push passed all the students currently standing around in the halls. Everyone takes Friday afternoons as a chance to gossip about the events that occurred throughout the week and discuss potential plans for the weekend.

            I continue toward the doors leading out to the parking lot, hearing the words Harrison and party more times than I can count.

            Finally making it outside, I notice that I’m the only one who has managed to exit the building and I’m walking alone toward the lot still packed with cars.     

            Pulling out of the parking lot, I head to my dance studio that is only fifteen minutes away, cracking my neck as I drive. I have a long four hour dance rehearsal ahead of me, but I’m not really all that beat up about it. If anything, I’m excited to be able to dance for four hours straight and clear my head a little. Dancing, acting, and singing have always provided me with the right kind of escape I need from reality.

            I grab my dance bag from the backseat of my car and run into the studio, knowing that I only have ten minutes to change before I have to be present for my lyrical class.

            I wave at one of the teachers who is currently working the front desk as I jog to the women’s bathroom, pushing into a stall and immediately changing into my tights, leotard, and a pair of black booty shorts. After I’m all changed, I exit my stall and stand in front of the mirror to throw my hair up into a messy bun.

            Leaving the bathroom, I run into my classroom with a minute to spare. My teacher, Lindsey Hart, smiles at me as I enter. I return her smile as well as the other girls’ in the class who all nod in my direction. I’ve been dancing with most of them for years, but they still tend to give me a little bit of the cold shoulder. Lindsey says it’s because they’re jealous, but I can’t help but think I have this superpower that causes girls my own age to just hate me.

            “Alright, everyone! Let’s stretch!”

 

~

 

            Arriving home from dance, I walk straight up to my room, collapsing on my bed due to pure exhaustion. I lay there for a probably a minute before my phone begins to ring next to me. I groan and slowly lift myself up, checking the caller ID.

            Hannah.

            Do I really want to talk to her?

            I sigh and answer, putting the phone to my ear as I fall back onto my bed.

            “Hello?”

            “Ava?”

            This is my cellphone. “Yes.”

            “Hey.” Her voice softens slightly and I can already feel her apology coming on.

            “What’s up, Hannah?”

            I close my eyes, wishing that I could fall asleep.

            “I just really wanted to apologize for what Dianna and I say on Tuesday. We feel awful about it. We really were just trying to look out for you, but we understand that performing in those shows means a lot to you and we were out of line.”

            I nod, not saying anything to her. I know she’s apologizing slightly because she feels like she has to, not just because she’s actually sorry.

            “We’ve really missed you the past week and we hate not being on speaking terms with you. We really hope that you forgive us.”

            “I forgive you,” I state, not wanting to deal with the situation anymore. I’m not really the kind of person to hold grudges and they are the closest thing I have to best friends anyway.

            I hear her let out a sigh of relief and her voice instantly becomes more chipper.

            “Great! We were wondering if you wanted to go to the mall tomorrow! We all need a major wardrobe update after the first week of school and we need to get our nails done.”

            There it is again.

            “No thanks, Hannah. I have acting lessons followed by singing lessons tomorrow, plus I’d like to get my stack of homework done early so I don’t have to worry about it on Sunday.”

            They always ask me to join them for their Saturday shopping trip ritual, but I decline every time. My weekends are mainly focused on lessons and homework, which they’re all well aware of. I appreciate them always asking though. It makes me feel included even if I can’t go.

            “Okay, Avs. I just thought I would ask, just in case something was cancelled. You know we would love to hang out with you.”

            “I know. I would love to hang out with you girls too, but lessons come first. Maybe next Wednesday we can all go out for lunch or something,” I offer optimistically. I do enjoy spending time with my friends, as long as they’re not checking their make up every five seconds or obsessing over Claire.

            “That sounds perfect! Let’s make it a date!”

            “Great,” I smile.

            “Alright, babe! You sound beat so I’ll let you go! Love ya!”

            “Love you too, Hannah.” I hang up the phone and throw it on the bed next to me. I know I should probably get up and turn off the light, but I’m too worn to move and I end up just rolling over. Within seconds I’m sleeping off the painful week of school and the hours of dance lessons.

 

~

 

            “Did you have a good weekend?”

            Hannah slips into my car, giving me a wide smile as she buckles her seatbelt.

            I nod. “I did. It was a little tiring, but it was good. How about you?”

            I pull away from the curb and listen to Hannah as she chatters about all the new clothes, shoes, and make up products that she got at the mall this weekend.

            “Tell me these shoes are not to die for?”

            Hannah lifts her foot up and I have to quickly glance over before I turn my attention back to the road.

            “They’re cute, Han.”

            Finally, we pull into the parking lot and meet up with Dianna and Jacqueline, who both give me apologetic smile. I give them a small smile and a nod in return, reassuring them that it’s alright. The sting from Hannah and Dianna’s words has completely vanished and I no longer care about them not approving of my involvement in the shows. They can care what other people think all they want, but I’m not going to let it keep me up at night.

            We start the usual routine of walking a lap around the school before stopping where the popular kids are, my friends staring from afar once again.

            Within two minutes I say my goodbye and walk to class, feeling a pair of eyes on me as I walk. I shake the thought from my mind though and continue walking, going over psychology terms in my head.

            After school is over I arrive home to find my parents’ car in the driveway and don’t know if I should feel excited or not.

            “Hello?” I call out as I let myself into the house and set my backpack next to the door.

I hear my mother’s heels against our hardwood as she suddenly appears around the corner and walks toward me with open arms.

“Hello, sweetheart!” She gives me a tight and awkward hug as she presses a kiss on the top of my head. My mom always gives me this sort of affection after she arrives home from a business trip. I think it’s more of because she feels like she has to rather than her wanting to.

“Your father is upstairs showering. We have a very important business party this evening.” She turns around and walks back toward the kitchen. I follow her, hoping that the office party is for adults only.

“Do you have ballet tonight?”

I shake my head.

“No. Lisa changed our ballet class to Thursdays instead since Emma’s soccer practice is on Mondays and Tuesdays now.”

“Who’s Emma?”

“Her daughter. You’ve met her a couple of times.”

“Right. Well, good! Then you’ll be free to come to the party tonight!”

I feel my face fall.

“Mom, I have homework.”

My mom looks at me and raises a brow.

“Ava, this party is very important. We just hired two new employees and they’ve invited everyone, including children, to come to a get together tonight at their house.”

I open my mouth to protest, but she’s already tucking some of my hair behind my ear, signaling that I’ve already lost.

“Now, I got you a new dress while we were in California and I want you to wear it tonight. I laid it on your bed as well as a box with some new shoes that I picked up for you.”

I give her a weak smile and nod. My mother and I share only one quality. When we have our mind set on something, we will do anything to get what we want. However, her tactics are a lot more developed than mine.

I turn away from her and begin to make my way toward the stairs, feeling a frown take over my lips.

“The party is at seven, so make sure you’re ready!”

For the next couple of hours until the party, I manage to get all of my homework done and then start to get ready for the party.

I slip into the dress that my mother has given me to wear and then slide into the heels. Turning toward the mirror over my dresser, I shrug at myself. The dress hugs me nicely, but it’s very modest and mature. The heels are a decent height and I know I won’t risk falling in them, even though I learned how to walk in heels of all sizes a long time ago.

I walk down the stairs, seeing my mother’s eyes light up as she notices me.

            “Oh, Ava! It’s perfect! You look absolutely darling.”

            I resist the urge to wrinkle my nose at my mom’s words and instead give her a fake smile. She continues to stare at me with pride, admiring the white dress that she has given me to wear.

            “Are the heels comfortable? They’re the perfect height.”

            “They’re fine, mom.” I look down at my heels and move around a little.

            “I don’t see why I have to wear a dress and heels anyway.”

            “Because we have an image and reputation to uphold, Avs. We can’t have our daughter running around in rags. Here put this lipstick on.”

            After a few more minutes of my mom fixing my hair and straightening out my dress, my dad finally steers her out of the house.

            The whole car ride they lecture me on what to say, what not to say, what to do, what not to do. They both don’t even notice that I’m sitting with my arms followed across my chest, completely tuning them out as I stare out the window of the car. It’s all the same information they give me before every party anyway. By now I could probably recite every word.

            We finally arrive and my mother runs her hand through my hair again as my father rings the doorbell. I let out a small sigh as the door smoothly opens and a very attractive man is standing in front of us all. He has perfect white teeth, nice dimples, dark brown hair, and green eyes that could almost be mistaken for blue. I’m a little taken back for a moment due to the fact that most of my parent’s coworkers are older and less than attractive.

            “Zac, Stacey. I’m glad you could make it.” The man lets his smile widen as he shakes my dad’s hand and gives my mom a kiss on the cheek before letting us in.

            He nods to me as I walk in behind my parents.

            “This is our daughter, Ava.” My mother gestures to me and gives the man one of her winning smiles.

            “Nice to meet you, Ava.” The man holds out his hand and I take it, giving him a firm handshake.

            “It’s nice to meet you too.”

            “Do you go to Wilson?”

            I nod as I return my hand to my side, giving him a weak smile.

            “I have a son that goes there as well. What year are you?”

            “I’m a senior.”

            “Oh, so is he! You two might know each other!”

            I suddenly become a little worried as to who his son could be. I wouldn’t want to end up at a popular football player’s house and run into any awkward situations.

            “What’s his name?” I try to keep my voice and my features calm, feeling my body slightly tense.

            “Harrison Lunn. He’s new there so maybe you haven’t run into each other.”

            I somehow manage not to let my jaw drop in disbelief as he says Harrison’s name and begin to slowly nod instead.

            “I know, Harrison. We have physics together.”

            Harrison’s father begins to laugh and nod his head.

            “That’s great! Make sure you say hello to him if you see him around. I’m sure he would love to see you.”

            How well do you know your own son?

            I smile and nod to him as he leads my parents away, realizing that I am now standing alone in the doorway. I slowly begin to glance around, noticing how many people are currently filling each room. Usually these parties are pretty big, but this party has the largest turn out I have ever seen.

            I sigh and make my way into the living room, smiling and waving at a few people that I recognize from past office parties or that I met somewhere along the line.

            After a few minutes of leaning against a wall and people watching, a middle-aged woman comes up to me and begins to chat at me in an overly happy voice. She exclaims that she can’t believe how grown up I look and how beautiful I have become, but I don’t recognize her whatsoever. I’m polite though and smile at her, trying to ease my way around the conversation.

            That’s when I see him. I stare passed the woman for a moment and catch Harrison talking to an older blonde woman who wears a massive diamond ring on her finger. Harrison even has an effect on older woman, but that doesn’t come as a surprise to me. I watch as he talks casually with her, a dimple in his left cheek appearing as the woman tosses her head back laughing.

            “Alright, Ava. It was lovely talking to you. You take care now, okay?” The woman’s words break my focus and I smile at her as she walks toward the dining room.

            After she leaves, I slowly bring my eyes up to watch Harrison again. As my eyes finally reach him, I find his eyes staring right back at me and feel my heart leap in my chest. I’ve been caught.

            I keep my expression smooth as I look away and make my way out of the room, deciding to take myself on a little private tour of their house to get far away as I can from Harrison.

            I walk into each room as I put distance between us, acting as if I’m admiring the beauty of each characteristic of the house.

            Finally, I reach a set of French doors and let myself through when I see no one watching. I close the doors behind me and lean my back against them for a moment, letting out a deep sigh.

            As I begin to let myself relax, I look around the room and see a cream couch that looks like it’s never been sat on and a grand piano. I let a smile slowly work its way onto my lips as I move toward the piano. I hadn’t played in weeks since my parents had decided to move our own piano into storage in order to make room for their new formal living room set.

            I sit down at the piano and let my fingers gently rub the keys before I begin to play a simple melody. It feels relieving to play again and I close my eyes as I continue playing.

After a few moments, I shift songs and begin to sing along with the piano, feeling a familiar sensation in my stomach. A feeling that I can never describe, but it feels like pure serenity. 

Once the song is over, I smile to myself and open my eyes, resisting the urge to let out a joyous laugh.

“That was beautiful.”

I jump and quickly turn around to find Harrison leaning his back against the door, his arm folded across his chest.

“Was that Thank You for the Music? That’s at the end of that one Mamma Mia musical, right?” He makes his way toward the piano and raises a brow at me, waiting for me to answer him.

I don’t say anything though and continue to stare at him as he begins to shake his head and let out a small laugh.

He sits down next to me and I slide over a little in order to put a little distance between us.

“Oh, come on, Ava. I don’t bite.”

I furrow my brow at him. “You know my name?”

He laughs once again and smiles at me, that same dimple showing on his cheek.

“Of course I do. We’re in the same physics class. You know my name, don’t you?”

I shrug and turn my attention back to the piano, playing a few chords again.

“It’s kind of hard not to.”

“Oh, and why is that?” I can hear the smug smile in his voice. Still I keep my attention focused on the keys and my voice uninterested.

“The majority of the girls at Wilson are obsessed with you.”

“The majority? I was aiming for every girl.”

“Well, you have to take into account the lesbians. That’s only fair.”

Harrison laughs and hits a few keys on his end.

“Plus, there are also the few girls who just haven’t fallen for you.”

“I disagree. I think I have them all eating out of the palm of my hand.”

I roll my eyes and continue playing, more interested in the piano then him. His presence was actually quite annoying and I wouldn’t mind if he just left me alone so I could play.

“Except you.”

I glance over at him and meet his blue eyes. This is the first time I’ve actually looked at Harrison full on, but instead of feeling my heart race or a flush taking over my cheeks, I remain expressionless. I don’t see what everyone else sees. I just see an arrogant boy sitting before me, which doesn’t have any kind of effect on me. I never understood why girls chose to gush over guys or become brainless in their presence. So Harrison Lunn is attractive. So what?

“Hmmm?” I finally manage and lift a brow at him.

“You’re not obsessed with me.”

“Sorry to disappoint you.” I turn back to the piano and softly begin to play again.

“I could already tell that after you dropped those physics packets on my desk and didn’t even really acknowledge me. I honestly thought you hated me.”

I look over to him, but continue to play.

“You remember that?”

“Of course I remember that. I’ve never had a girl react to me that way before, or like this.” He shrugs and gives me a smug smile.

“So you’re used to every girl you meet just bowing down at your feet?” I stop playing and begin to focus my attention on him.

He seems to like that as his smile grows wider. “Basically. Didn’t you see me talking to that blonde in there? Married with kids, yet she still would have let me show her a good time.”

I wrinkle my nose at him and stand up from the piano bench.

“You’re disgusting.”

Harrison laughs and raises his hands up. “Why, because I’m telling the truth?”

“No, because you talk about women like they’re all a brand new sports car just waiting for you to take them for a ride.”

Harrison bites his lip, trying to choke back a laugh.

“Well, it’s kind of true.”

I roll my eyes again and begin to head toward the door, but I suddenly feel his hand grab mine, making me turn back toward him.

“Wait, don’t go.” All the humor is gone from his voice and his expression is suddenly more serious.

“Why? I don’t want to talk to some guy who has no respect for anyone.”

“I was kidding, Ava. Relax.”

I narrow my eyes at him, beginning to pull my hand from his.

“Would you just sit down and keep me company? I can’t stand all those air headed richy riches out there.”

I stare at him for a moment before I sigh and take my seat next to him once again.

“Thank you,” he says as he begins to play a few more keys again, the tension in the room fading a little.

“So have you always lived in Minnesota? Or what?”

I stare at him for a moment, but then finally give in.

“I’ve always lived here.”

Harrison raises his eyebrows in surprise and turns toward me.

“Really? How did you manage that? My parents are in the same line of work, yet we’ve moved plenty of times.”

I shrug. “My parents are pretty high up in the company, so they somehow always managed to stay here. They do travel a lot though.”

“My parents used to travel a lot when we lived in Colorado, but that all stopped when we moved to Pennsylvania. Hopefully it stays the same now that we’re here.”

Harrison’s voice sounds slightly annoyed and I am surprised that we can actually relate on something.

“I know what you mean. My parents are home two days at a time and then gone for weeks.” I sigh and play the piano more, trying to put myself at ease again.

“That must suck.”

“It used to. Now I’m used to it.”

I can see Harrison’s head nod from the corner of my eye.

“At least you don’t have to worry about sneaking guys into your room and you can have sex as loud you want.”

Harrison nudges his shoulder into mine and gives me another smug smile.

“Are you capable of having a serious conversation for longer than twenty seconds?” I show him my obvious irritation and begin to move off the bench again, but his hand is suddenly on my knee. His hand feels warm against my bare skin and I furrow my brow as I meet his eyes.

“I’m sorry. I was just messing around.”

“Story of your life, huh?”

Harrison rolls his eyes and removes his hand from my leg.

We both don’t speak as we begin to play the piano once again. He watches my hands as I play a faster melody.

“How long have you been playing?”

I look over to him, but then bring my eyes back to my own hands.

“Since I was eight. I figured that if I wanted to sing that knowing how to play some sort of instrument might come in handy.”

“So you chose the piano?”

I nodded. “I think it sounds beautiful.”

“Me too.” Harrison nods and I look over to find him staring at me.

“So you sing, play the piano, and resist the charm of a******s like me. What else can you do?”

I shrug. “Dance. Act.”

“A triple threat?”

“I guess you could say that. I’ve been dancing since I was three, singing since I was seven, and acting since I was eight.”

“Sounds like your parents saw a lot of potential in you from a very young age.”

I scoff at his words and shake my head. “Uh, no. I told them I wanted to dance after I saw a scene from Hello Dolly and they both thought that if they put me in all of these lessons that it meant that they cared or it was some sort of consolation for always being gone.” I shrug, realizing that he probably doesn’t care about my explanation.

“Sorry. I don’t know why I’m telling you all of this.”

“No, no. I’m interested.” I’m surprised to hear the sincerity in Harrison’s words and give him a weak smile.

Silence stretches out between us, but it’s somehow not uncomfortable. I start to wonder if he noticed it as well.

I see him run a hand through his hair and he looks out a window just behind me.

“Do you know Claire Cotillard?”

“Everyone knows Claire.”

He laughs at my answer and stairs down at the keys of the piano.

“What do you think about her?”

I think for a moment, Claire’s five-year smiling face flashing through my mind, but instantly changing to her seventeen-year old self giving me her normal daggers.

“She’s pretty, confident, honest, fashionable, popular, the works. She’s capable of having any guy that she wants wrapped around her finger. I don’t know. I don’t really talk to her, but I’ve heard nothing but good things.”

I try to be as nice as I can possibly be when describing Claire. I’m not one to talk bad about someone and I figured Harrison was looking for a more optimistic answer.

Harrison lets his smile fade slightly and nods slowly.

“Sounds like every guys’ fantasy.”

“You could say that.”

Harrison flashes his wide smile at me again, returning to his relaxed state.

“You know what I just realized? I don’t even know your last name.”

“Grimmond.” I state.

“Grimmond. I like that.”

 I shrug once again and suddenly I can hear my mother’s voice calling my name from behind the French doors. I stand from the piano bench and feel a little surprised as Harrison does the same.

“Looks like that’s your cue. I’ll see you around school.” He holds his hand out to me and I stare down at it, keeping my face expressionless.

I slowly bring my eyes up to meet his and nod.
            “Yup.” I take his hand and shake it firmly like I did his dad’s. I then turn away from him and without looking back I let myself out of the room, hearing him begin to play a complex melody on the piano behind me.



© 2013 Molly


Author's Note

Molly
Ignore grammar problems! Thanks for checking it out!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

209 Views
Added on May 30, 2013
Last Updated on May 30, 2013
Tags: love, teen, young adult, high school, nonfiction, dream, dance, sing, act


Author

Molly
Molly

About
I just completed my freshman year of college and I am a Elementary Education major. I have always had a strong passion for writing and reading, so I'm always writing short stories, poems, rambles, etc.. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Molly


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Molly


Without a Plan Without a Plan

A Book by Molly