Chapter Six

Chapter Six

A Chapter by Molly

The next morning my alarm clock chimes from my nightstand, causing me to throw my eyes open. However, my vision is immediately blurred and I can feel a harsh pounding coming from above both of my eyes. I groan as I begin to get out of bed, feeling a sharp pain grow in my stomach. I sit with my legs dangling off my bed as I try to compose myself, but within seconds I can feel bile creeping up my throat, causing me to run to the bathroom and empty the contents of my stomach into my toilet.

            I flush the toilet and sink to the ground once there is nothing left in my stomach. I don’t know where this sudden illness came from, but I definitely can’t go to school like this. I bring my knees to my chest and lay my forehead against them as I shut my eyes, trying to get my head to stop spinning.

            Once I feel a little less dizzy, I force myself up from my bathroom floor and head into my room, grabbing my phone from my night stand. I scan through my contacts and hit the call button, pressing the phone to my ear.

            The phone rings a couple of times before I hear a familiar chipper voice on the other end.

            “Mrs. Saunders?” I croak, feeling a burning sensation grow in my throat.

            “Oh, Ava! Are you okay, honey? You sound awful.”

            “I’m sick,” I state. “Really sick. Would you mind calling the attendance office at Wilson and excusing me for the day?”

            I know that she won’t have any problem with excusing me from my classes today. She has been calling me in sick for basically my entire life and she always understands. Usually you’re only allowed to be excused from class by your parents, but since my parents are impossible to reach, I have to look to Mrs. Saunders to take care of these kind of things. I learned a long time ago that my parents never answer their phones, for me at least. If their phones ring and it’s business related than they have no problem with answering it no matter what they’re doing. However, I could be dying in a fire and they would never know because they wouldn’t answer my calls. When they write “call us or Mrs. Saunders” at the end of each of their notes, they really mean, “always call Mrs. Saunders.” They just add themselves to the equation to once again make it seem like they care.

            “Of course not! I’ll call them right now and let them know. Make sure you eat some crackers and drink some water, sweetheart. If you don’t have any then I will gladly bring some over.”

            “Thank you,” I smile weakly to myself and feel my exhaustion set in even more. My eyes begin to droop and all I want to do is fall back into bed and sleep this all off.

            “Alright, Ava. Feel better. Bye, bye.”

            “Thank you. Bye.”

            I hit the end button on my phone and immediately open up a text message to Hannah, telling her that I won’t be able to give her a ride to school and giving her a small apology.

I press send and slowly crawl back into bed, feeling darkness swarm over me as soon as my head hits the pillow.

            When I open my eyes again the pounding in my head has faded a little and my stomach feels only slightly uneasy. My mouth feels dry from dehydration and all the throwing up I did earlier that morning.

            I look over to my alarm clock and see that it’s ten in the morning. I’ve already missed first period and second period will be over soon. As much as I would like to pull myself out of bed and drag my butt to school for the last two periods, my aching body says otherwise.

            I roll over onto my back and stare at my ceiling for a moment, studying the swirling patterns and attempting to create actual images. I suddenly hear my phone vibrate and I pull it out from under some of the blankets next to me, squinting my eyes at my screen. I have multiple text messages from Hannah, Dianna, and Jacqueline asking where I am as well as two phone calls from Hannah.

            I open Hannah’s message and quickly type out a reply, letting her know that I am sick and won’t be there for the entire day. I don’t bother texting Dianna or Jacqueline back because I can already assume that Hannah will just pass the news onto them.

            Before I can put my phone on my night stand, it vibrates again and I sigh to myself as I check the message.

 

Harrison: I couldn’t help but notice that you’re not at school today. Unless you’re hiding from me.

 

            I furrow my brow at Harrison’s message and bite my lip slightly. He noticed that I wasn’t at school?

Well we are “best friends” after all.

 

            Me: I’m not hiding. I’m sick.

 

            I place my phone on my stomach and begin to close my eyes again. I know that I should probably get up and get some water, but my eyes are growing heavy once again and all I want to do is sleep for the rest of the day.

My phone vibrates from my stomach and I force my eyes open, bringing the glowing screen into view once again.  

 

            Harrison: What kind of sick? Headache? Stomach ache? Tonsillitis? Mono? Cancer? You’re supposed to notify your best friend of these sort of things, Grim.

 

            I roll my eyes at Harrison’s message. Good to know that no matter how sick I am, Harrison can still have his usual effect on me. The thought makes me smile and I can’t help but feel slightly better.

 

            Me: I wasn’t aware that I needed to give you updates on my physical health. Headache and stomach ache.

 

            Harrison: Huh, I thought that was what best friends did.

 

            I continue to smile and just shake my head at his message. Either he’s making fun of other friends or he has really never had a best friend before. Or maybe I’m the odd one in this relationship. I have friends, but I haven’t ever technically had a best friend. I grew up spending all of my time with Mrs. Saunders as we took on a different puzzle every week, or with dance, acting, piano, or voice instructors. I wasn’t very up to date on what best friends did or said to each other. Maybe the whole health thing was normal considering the way Hannah freaked out when she realized I wasn’t at school.

 

            Before I can answer Harrison’s text, I feel my phone go off in my hands again.

 

            Harrison: Alright, Grim. I’ll be over soon. Just sit tight.

 

            My eyes widen and my mouth falls open as I read his message. What? He’s coming here? He can’t come here? Why would he even want to come here when I’m such a mess?

 

            Me: Wait? What? You’re not really coming here, are you?

 

            I stare down at my phone for a few moments, waiting for a message to pop up from Harrison, but it never does.

He can’t really be coming over, right? He’s just being his normal self and teasing me, but that’s it. He wouldn’t actually come over here when I’m sick and potentially risk getting as well.  

I let out a quick sigh and relax my shoulders, trying to reassure myself that Harrison was just messing with me and he most definitely will not be coming over to my house. Stressing out about whether he is serious or not only made me headache slightly worse and I decide that it’s time to buck up and go get myself some medicine from the kitchen.

            Shakily, I get up from my bed and slowly make my way downstairs. I try to keep myself steady so that I won’t upset my stomach again and cause myself to dry heave due to everything in my stomach already being flushed out.

            I reach my kitchen and pull down a glass and some Advil. I fill the glass with water and immediately pop the pill into my mouth, chasing it down with the liquid. I then slowly drink my water until my throat feels a little less sore and my light head disappears slightly. I place the glass back on the counter and turn to my pantry, searching for some saltine crackers, but only frowning when I find nothing.

            I really don’t want to have to call Mrs. Saunders and make her go out and buy me some crackers, but I know that I need something to eat and saltines are most likely the only thing I can stomach.

            Letting out a small sigh, I close the pantry and make my way toward the house phone, but before I can reach it I hear three louds knock coming from my front door.

 

            Oh my God.

 

            My heart begins to pound as I look towards the door, knowing exactly who is on the other side. I can’t believe that he actually came. Is he crazy?

I slowly make my way to the door and unlock it before pulling it open, seeing Harrison stand in the exact same place he had the night before. He holds a plastic bag in his hand and he is currently wearing his beautiful half crooked smile.

“What are you doing here?” I croak, realizing that my water obviously didn’t do much for my aching throat.

“I’m here to take care of you.” There is a great amount of pride in Harrison’s voice as a large smile takes over his lips. His perfectly white teeth shine in the sun and there is a special gleam to his blue eyes.

            Any other girl would probably be melting right now due to an undeniably attractive boy currently standing on her porch, stating that he wants to take care of her. However, I just felt slightly annoyed, more concerned with Harrison catching something than his “sweet” gesture to come and take care of me while I’m ill.

            “I don’t need you to take care of me.” My throat burns and I almost wince at the pain, but I try to keep my face smooth as I stare at him. I want to show him that I really don’t need him to look after me and hopefully that will prompt him to leave.

            “You should be at school right now, Harrison. You still have to get to third and fourth period.”

            I see Harrison roll his eyes and he pushes passed me into my house.

            “Hey! I mean it, Harrison! I don’t need you to take care of me and I don’t want you to catch anything.”

            Harrison says nothing as I stare at him, but instead he lets his eyes wander down my body and then back up to meet my eyes. I feel a flush take over my cheeks. I’m not used to people eyeing me so obviously like this, especially not boys who look like they just walked off the runway of some high end fashion show.

            “Yeah, you look like you don’t need any help.” The sarcasm in his voice is obvious. “And quit worrying. I don’t care if I catch anything.” He waves me off and then walks towards my kitchen, leaving me in the entryway by myself.

            I scowl at him behind his back as I close my front door and slowly follow him into the kitchen. He is so stubborn and relentless.

            I watch as he sets the plastic bag on the counter and begins to pull out some of the contents, placing them on the counter. I take a seat at one of the bar stools, feel slightly woozy again.

            “What is all this stuff?”

            “What does it look like? It’s medicine, soup, crackers, Sprite, and a couple of other stuff. All the necessary items to fight off the flu.”

            I shake my head as I look at all the items.

            “You really didn’t have to do that.”

            “I wanted to.” Harrison’s voice is soft and sincere, causing me to lift my eyes to his. His face is currently expressionless, but I can see a small amount of concern in his eyes.

            He shakes his head and I see the concern fade as he looks down at all of the products he bought.

            “Plus, that’s what friends are for.”

            “Best friends,” I correct him, trying to ease the mood. I know that I should be more grateful that Harrison brought me my very own care package and I don’t want him to think that I don’t appreciate his kind gesture. Even though I would have preferred him not to come into my house and have the chance of getting sick as well.

            I see a smile fall on his lips as he continues to look down, which makes me feel a little better. I know that nothing I do or say will make him leave and all I can do is accept the fact that he brought me medicine and food, which was definitely what I needed.

            “So, what do you want? Medicine, soup, Sprite?”

            I look at all of my choices, letting my eyes fall on the crackers.

            “I don’t think I can stomach soup right now and I would prefer to put off medicine for as long as I can. So let’s go with the saltines.”

            Harrison opens the box and pulls out a sleeve of crackers, tearing opening the package before he slides them over to me.

            “Thank you,” I pull out one of the crackers and nibble on it a little, letting a small silence spread between us. However, I find once again that it isn’t uncomfortable and instead I feel like I’m sitting with someone I have known for years. I can’t help but be a bit taken back by that feeling though. I have never allowed myself to become close with anyone and that fact that Harrison has suddenly come into my life so quickly and declared himself as my best friend is slightly alarming. I have never found complete comfort with another person, yet I can’t help but feel relaxed with this boy that I barely know who somehow pushed his way into my life.

            Does he want something from me?

            I can’t understand why I feel this way, but I choose to push the thought away. I don’t need something else to make my stomach stir and my head pound.

            “Oh, I picked this up too.” Harrison pulls something rectangular out of the bag and I instantly identify it as a movie case. He places it down on the counter in front of me and I raise a brow.

            “Tangled?”

            Harrison laughs. “Yeah, it’s supposed to be some Disney movie. You can’t really go wrong with a Disney film and I thought maybe you would want to watch it. Apparently it’s supposed to be good.”

            I examine the cover for a moment, shrugging my shoulders as I stare at the characters.

            “Sure. Why not?”

            Harrison gives me a smug smile and picks the movie case up from the counter before walking over to my side of the counter and reaching out his hand to me.

            “Shall we?”

            I grab my crackers off of the counter and the Sprite, maneuvering them in one hand as I place the other in Harrison’s. His skin feels warm against mine and I can’t help but stare at his perfectly tanned skin. Even though I am not attracted to Harrison in any way, I can’t help but admit that he’s extremely hot.

            I watch Harrison as he walks away around my room, putting the disc into the DVD player and setting up the movie. His brown hair is tossed as usually and there is a natural swoop in the front that keeps it from getting in his eyes. His nose is perfectly straight, his lips nicely sculpted, and his jaw lean and strong. His profile is just as appealing and I can see a his small dimple appear on his cheek as he smirks at the opening menu of our movie. I feel slightly guilty for eyeing him like this, but I’m not doing it because I’m technically checking him out or interested in pursuing him in that way. My eyes have just wandered on their own and despite the lack of feelings or attraction I have for him, it’s easy to see why Harrison receives all of that special attention from basically every female he encounters.

            Except me.

            Harrison suddenly falls down on the bed next to me, snapping me out of my thoughts.

            I bring another cracker to my mouth as he presses the play button and the menu fades from the screen.

            “Are you staying?” I turn toward him and raise a brow.

            He places his arms behind his head and keeps his eyes focused on the screen as a few clips flash on the screen before the actual movie.

            “Yup.”

            I don’t fight him or say anything. I know that it’s no use and he’ll only wave away any protesting that I throw at him. So I decide to keep my mouth shut and turn my attention to the screen, laying back on my side of the bed as I finish up my cracker.

            We both remain completely silent for the rest of the movie and I surprisingly find myself slightly infatuated with the animated film. The light hearted appeal was exactly what I needed and it distracts me from the aches throughout my body.

            When the movie finally ends, I smile towards Harrison, but find that his eyes are closed as he chest is rising and falling in a steady rhythm. I hadn’t even noticed that he had fallen asleep.

            I let my eyes scan his face for a moment before they slide down his body to his chest. I watch the way it rises and falls, noting how peaceful and relaxed he seems in the moment. I don’t understand why, but suddenly I feel the urge to scoot over to him and lay my head on his chest. I’ve seen this similar gesture played out in movies all the time, but I’ve never experienced a moment like that for myself. I’ve never laid with someone or cuddled up to someone. In fact, I’ve never really shared any sort of affection with another person other than hugs and kisses in my shows or the occasional hug with Mrs. Saunders or Lindsey. However, laying my head on a boy’s chest and listening to his heartbeat is foreign territory, but yet I can’t help but wonder what it would be like.

            How nice would it be to lay my head on a boy’s chest and feel the way he breathes under me, listen to his heart, and just feel how relaxed he is despite the way my weight lays against him? The thought makes me nervous and slightly uncomfortable because I’m not a very touchy person and I tend to get awkward in that situation, but I can’t help but let my curiosity get the best of me.

            I continue to watch Harrison as he stirs slightly, causing the bottom of his t-shirt to lift up a few inches. I catch sight of his lower stomach, studying how lean and toned he looks as well as the faint trail of hair that continues down into his jeans. What catches my attention the most though, is large scar that falls on the left side of his lower stomach. I furrow my brow as I stare at it. It’s not exactly the smallest or the prettiest scar and I can’t help but wonder how he got it.

            I bring my eyes back up to Harrison’s face and find his blue eyes staring back into my green eyes. Crap, I’ve been caught. However, not a single part of me feels embarrassed or guilty. Instead, I keep my expression smooth as I stare back at him. I wasn’t having any sexual thoughts about Harrison or even thinking that I wanted to lay on his chest specifically, so I had nothing to feel guilty about.

            “The movie is over,” I state as I search his eyes. What is he thinking?

            He nods before he stretches his arms over his head slightly and then sits up.

            “I’m sorry I fell asleep. Did you enjoy it?”

            “I did,” I nod to him and place my half empty package of crackers on my night stand. “It may even be my new favorite movie.”

            Harrison laughs and runs a hand through his hair. Suddenly, I hear a phone begin to vibrate and I look over to my night stand, but my phone is completely black.

            “Hello?”

            I turn my attention back to Harrison to see his phone pressed against his ear.

            “Hey, baby. What’s up?”

            It must be Claire.

            Or maybe not. Harrison admitted and publicly proved that he wasn’t faithful to Claire, so that could technically be anyone.

            “A party? Where? Sure, I’m up for it. Should I pick you up?”

            I get up from the bed and walk into my bathroom, shutting the door behind me. I feel rude listening to Harrison talk to on the phone, especially when he’s discussing his plans for the night. It’s strange to be a part of Harrison’s life especially when I feel like I’m on one side while everyone else is on the other.

            Does the really bother me though? It’s nice to hang out with Harrison and not have to deal with Claire or any of his other friends. In reality, I would prefer to be completely on my own, but Harrison is making that slightly difficult.

            Exiting the bathroom, I watch Harrison stand from my bed and walk over to me.

            “I guess I have to go. There’s some party at Dean’s tonight and Claire wants me to go help him score some alcohol while she goes to buy a new dress. I guess I can’t argue with that. Booze and seeing my girlfriend in a short dress doesn’t sound completely awful.” Harrison flashes me a wide smile and I can’t help but roll my eyes. He can be so likeable and relaxed one minute, but then he’s back to his arrogant self in no time.

            “Sounds like a good time.”

            “I would invite you, but well, you’re under the weather, little one.”

            I let out a small laugh. “Parties are definitely not my scene anyway. Alcohol isn’t good for your vocal chords.”

            Harrison chuckles and shakes his head. “You know what it is good for? Getting laid. Maybe that’s exactly what you need.”

            I scowl at him and smack his arm gently. “Harrison!”

            “I’m just kidding!” Harrison smiles and then gives me a quick wink. “Or am I?”

            He begins to back up towards my door and suddenly his expression becomes completely serious.

            “Get your a*s back in that bed and get some sleep. Call me if you need anything, k?”

            “Yeah, yeah.” I wave him off and return to my bed, easing down into my blankets.

            “Later, Grim” Harrison flashes me a wide smile before exiting my room and closing the door behind him.

            Once I hear his car pull out of my driveway, I find the remote to my DVD player and press the play button on the menu, deciding to watch the movie he had brought me again.

            I look to the spot next to me, noticing the way my blankets are still wrinkled from Harrison’s body. It’s strange that the fabric of my blankets can show the obvious markings that he was laying next to me only five minutes ago, yet it feels like he was never here. Just like when he’s caring and considerate one minute, but then cocky and conceited the next. It’s like the memories are there, but it feels like it never really happened.

 

~

 

 

            By Monday I’m feeling like myself again, although I feel slightly guilty for missing dance both Saturday and Sunday in order to get better.

            Harrison has also been texting me all weekend, checking to make sure that I’m okay and asking if I need anything. However, I reassured him that I was fine and that I could take care of myself. I couldn’t help but feel relieved that he hadn’t come down with anything himself, especially since he had laid in my bed with me.

            Walking down the hall at the end of the day, I make my way towards the drama room in order to meet Daniels for the audition meeting that he scheduled. As soon as I walk through the door, I see multiple familiar faces that I have seen at every audition meeting since my Freshman year, including Simon. I smile at a group of girls who I have worked with multiple times, but completely ignore Simon. I’m not in the mood to deal with his annoying arrogance, but then again, when am I ever? He’s even worse than Harrison, expect Simon has no reason to be so cocky.

            I set my stuff down and turn to see Daniels walk in with a dirty blonde haired boy that I have never seen before. The boy has soft blue eyes and he is clean shaven, which definitely looks good on him. He’s even quite handsome and I can’t help but stare at him for a moment, wondering where he came from.

            The boy then takes a seat in the front row and I take my own seat as I lets my eyes shift over to Daniels.

            “Alright, guys! Who’s ready to discuss Picasso at the Lapin Agile?” Daniels smiles at everyone and I can’t help but let a small smile play onto my lips, trying to ignore the gentle churn in my stomach.

            Once Daniels had given everyone a packet of the auditions details and provided us all with a few monologues to choose from, all of which I helped him choose, he discusses everything that we need to know before letting us go.

            All the other usual students exit the room, talking excitedly about the upcoming audition, but I take my time and decide to stop to talk to Daniels for a few minutes.

            As I approach him in front of the room, he flashes a large smile at me and instantly gestures behind me.

            “Ava, there is someone I want you to meet. Ava this is Levi, Levi this is Ava,”

            I turn to see the dirty blonde haired standing behind me, giving me a warm smile, which I can’t help but instantly return.

            “Nice to meet you, Ava.”

            “Nice to meet you too.”

            “Levi is in his senior year as well, but this is his first time trying out for anything here at Wilson. So maybe you two could talk and you could help him out a bit. Ava is the best of the best.”

            I blush slightly from Daniels’ comment and shrug.

            “Oh, that’s not true, but thank you. I would be happy to give you some help if you need it.”

            Levi continues to smile at me and nods. “That would be awesome.”

            After talking with Daniels for a few minutes, Levi and I exit the drama room together, walking in silence for a few moments.

            “So this is your first time trying out?” I ask, glancing over to him and giving him a small smile.

            “Yeah. I guess I was just too scared and intimated to try out before.” Levi laughs and I can’t help but do the same.

            “You have no reason to feel intimidated. I’m sure that you’ll do great at your audition and you can always talk to Daniels. Besides, you couldn’t be worse than Simon Gustin. He thinks he’s the greatest thing to ever happen to the theatre community, but he’s never landed a leading role. You have nothing to worry about.”

            Levi chuckles at my words and I can’t help but smile. I can’t believe that I have gone to school with him for four years, but I never noticed him before. I can already tell that he’s not like all the other people in our school and it’s refreshing to interact with someone who seems a little more…sane?

            Before we can continue our conversation, I suddenly feel someone drape their arm around my shoulder and I look over to find Harrison standing next to me. However, he doesn’t wear his normal boyish smirk or have an easy feel about him. Instead, his expression in hard and he is stuck giving Levi a determined glare. What is with him?

            “Hey, Harrison.” I try to keep my voice upbeat in order to fight through the tension, but it’s no use. It’s already too late to break the awkward atmosphere that he has brought with him.

            “This is Levi,” I state as I gesture over to Levi with a smile. I don’t know why I’m still trying, but I guess I’m just hoping that he’ll snap out of his strange mood.

            “Nice to meet you,” Levi says with a smile as he waves toward Harrison. Bless him for trying to ease the tension as well.

            “You too.” Harrison’s voice is just as cold as his stare and I can’t help but want to pull away from him. Why is he being so rude?

            I choose to not acknowledge his mood swing and instead turn toward Levi, attempting to help him from the awkward situation.

            “I guess I should probably go. I have to head off to dance. I’ll see you at the auditions on Thursday?” I give Levi another warm smile, trying to make him feel welcome and comfortable despite the statue next to me.

            He returns my smile and nods. “Definitely. I’ll see you there.” He then turns toward Harrison and I see his smile falter slightly. “Er…Again it was nice meeting you.”

            Harrison doesn’t say anything and I wave to Levi before I turn to walk down the hallway toward the parking lot. I slip out of Harrison’s arm and keep my pace quick, trying to put distance between us. However, he’s right on my heels, which only makes me even more annoyed with him. I don’t want him anywhere near me after what he just pulled with Levi, but of course he wouldn’t understand that.

            He walks even faster so that he is now right next to me, smiling at me as he slides his hands into his pockets. I hate how relaxed and normal he looks again, and all I want to do is slap that stupid smirk off of his face.

            “What’s your deal, Grim?”

            I come to an abrupt stop in the middle of the hallway and Harrison has to back track a little to join me.

            “Are you serious?” I ask, lifting a brow in annoyance.

            “Have I done something to offend you?”

            I open my mouth in disbelief and let out an irritated laugh.

            “You have got to be kidding me. Did you completely black out back there or something?”

            Harrison shakes his head and gives me a skeptical look.

            “No. What’s the deal?”

            I clench my jaw slightly, suddenly feeling very angry with him.

            “The deal is that you were just a complete a*****e to Levi back there for no reason at all! You had no right to act that way towards him, yet you were just cold and rude. You embarrassed me and made me look like a complete idiot as well!”

            “You really shouldn’t care about what other people think about you.”

            “This isn’t about caring what other people thing about you! This is about being a decent human being and not being rude to other people for no reason whatsoever!”

            Harrison’s face is now more serious and he crosses his arms over his chest.

            “I did have a reason.”

            I scoff at him. “Oh, really? What was your reason then?”

            He continues to stare at me, but remains quiet. I search his eyes for a moment and realize that he has no intent of telling me his reason.

            I shake my head at him and keep my eyes locked on his.

            “I don’t get it, Harrison. What are you doing?”

            “Nothing,” he instantly stares.

            Something suddenly hits me though as I picture the way Harrison stared at Levi and his cold tone.

            “Wait…are you jealous?” Curiosity rings in my voice and I feel a smile begin to work its way onto my lips. I don’t know why I’m so amused by this idea, but I can’t help but find the thought of Harrison being jealous slightly humorous. We’re talking about the guy who is in a relationship with Claire Cotillard but chooses to sleep or make out with various other girls whenever he wants. Harrison Lunn uses girl as he pleases, yet he could potentially be jealous of some other guy having a harmless conversation with me? Could that be possible?

            Harrison laughs and shakes his head. “What? You’re being ridiculous. Why would I possibly be jealous of Levi?”

            I give him an amused smile and shrug. “I don’t know. You tell me.”

            “I’m not jealous, Ava. I told you, I have absolutely no desire to sleep with you and we’re just friends. I want nothing more than that.”

            “Okay, okay.”

            Harrison’s expression relaxes and big and he unfolds his arms, replacing his hands in his pockets.

            Why does he have to be so confusing?

            We stood there staring at each other for a moment, an obvious tension still lying between us. I didn’t know what to make of Harrison’s attitude towards Levi, but jealousy didn’t seem like such a bizarre assumption. Even though the idea was amusing, it did make me feel a little unsettled as well. If Harrison was jealous or felt threatened by Levi, then that meant that our harmless friendship actually wasn’t as harmless as I thought. However, what did that mean? I was still questioning whether or not Harrison actually had real human emotions due to how he chose to use girls like they were nothing, but then he cared for me and acted all tough around a guy who only exchanged a couple of sentences with me. I just couldn’t figure it out.

            I didn’t want Harrison to be jealous though. Jealousy had consequences and usually mean that there were feelings involved. I know for a fact that I don’t have those feelings for Harrison and I don’t think he’s capable of having those feelings for me. So what was going on here?

            Suddenly, I hear Claire’s voice call Harrison’s name and she is then by his side. She glares at me for a moment as I shift my eyes over to her. Perfect. Just what I need. Claire and her unnecessary hate for me.

I watch as Claire looks up at Harrison and smiles at him, becoming a completely different person in front of my eyes.

            “Hey, baby.” Her voice almost makes me cringe, but I keep my face smooth. I look over to Harrison to see his eyes suddenly flicker away from mine and turn down toward Claire.

            He smiles at her for a quick moment before he plants a kiss on her lips, adding an odd amount of passion behind his lips that isn’t exactly polite in front of company. I suddenly feel completely out of place and uneasy, wishing that I could flee from the scene, but I stay planted in that spot for some reason. I try to keep my eyes off of them, but I realize that I probably look more awkward trying to avoid the scene in front of me.

            Finally, Harrison pulls his lips away from Claire’s and they exchange a smile before he turns his attention back to me. His smile widens as he lifts his brows a little, causing me to tilt my head to the side slightly. Did he do that on purpose?

            “Ava, you know Claire, right?” Harrison wraps his arm around Claire’s waist and pins her to his side as he lets his eyes drift down Claire’s body. He was sure being bold.

            “Yeah,” I murmur. I don’t really want to acknowledge Claire and it’s clear that she doesn’t want to acknowledge me either.

            I seem to get my wish because Harrison then turns his attention back towards Claire and they begin to exchange their own private conversation, once again making me feel out of place.

            I really don’t have to stand here and watch this.

            I look down to check the time on my phone, realizing that I have to be to dance in twenty minutes.

            “Well,” I make my voice chipper, catching both of their attention immediately. “I should probably go. It was great to see you, Claire. See you tomorrow, Harrison.” I give them both a warm smile and then walk passed them, heading toward the doors.

            I can feel Harrison’s eyes on my back as I walk away, but then hear Claire’s faint voice, which most likely has caught his attention once again.

            I’m not bothered by the fact that Harrison and Claire were exchanging such a high amount of PDA in front of me or anything like that. I’m bothered by the fact that Harrison once again changed from one personality to the next, making me completely confused. He was sure making this whole best friend situation harder than it had to be and I wasn’t sure what was going on anymore.

            All I hoped was that Harrison really wasn’t jealous of Levi and that he would respect the fact that I didn’t nor will I ever have any of those feelings for him. I just couldn’t. His sexy demeanor just didn’t get that rise out of me.

            



© 2013 Molly


Author's Note

Molly
Ignore grammer problem! Thanks for checking it out!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

omg it's amazing :)
keep up the great work
can't wait for next chapter

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

266 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 18, 2013
Last Updated on June 19, 2013
Tags: love, teen, young adult, high school, nonfiction, dream, dance, sing, act, book


Author

Molly
Molly

About
I just completed my freshman year of college and I am a Elementary Education major. I have always had a strong passion for writing and reading, so I'm always writing short stories, poems, rambles, etc.. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Molly


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Molly


Without a Plan Without a Plan

A Book by Molly