Power: Chapter 5

Power: Chapter 5

A Chapter by Eva Sirois

Time passed. The inhabitants of Otker were busy with the preparations. I was forever helping the servants clean, sweep, and do endless chores in preparation for the royal parties. This was all in my free time. I still had all manner of lessons, and the lessons in manners was going over how to serve. Word had somehow leaked out that the duke of Carathan and his most prominent vassal and general were coming here for negotiations, as well as the King of Derria, King Aldan VI.
    I was very nervous. What if I did something embarrassing, in front of the King and the representatives of Carathan? I started to neglect my meals, and people noticed. Alan tried to cheer me up by helping me with mathematics (my worst subject). Gary started playing practical jokes on random people around me to cheer me up. Kaitlynn sang to me. James brought me to his office and set my fears at ease, saying that King Aldan VI had to go through squire training, where he also had to serve. James entertained me of one of the king’s mistakes which involved a spilled chica root soup over the ambassador of Yishna and his wife. It made me feel better, and I felt even more fond of all my friends.
    The day finally came for everyone to arrive. King Aldan, with mages and two of his vassals, arrived first. I didn’t get to see them, because I was in a lesson. I learned that later that afternoon the Carthans had arrived. They were dining separately than all of us, so I knew that I wouldn’t get to see all of them until the negotiations the next morning. Everything that my friends discussed was done in whispers, and it was mostly about the arrivals.

    If it hadn’t been for Alan that next morning, I probably wouldn’t have eaten anything. Other than him basically shoving food down by throat (James looked on approvingly; for once he was actually on Alan’s side), Alan was distant and looked kind of sick. I felt like kicking him. He wasn’t the one who had to serve at the negotiations. The thought of it both excited me and terrified me. What if I messed up? What if I made a fool out of myself in front of all those important people?
    After breakfast, James quietly came up behind me and led me away. I followed him to a small room connected to the negotiating room, where there was a couple baskets of fruit, and five large pitchers of wine. I went into the negotiating room, carrying a basket of fruit. The room was spacious, with a large oaken table and chairs in the middle of the room. There was a fireplace in the corner of the room. I placed the fruit on the table, and effortlessly got a fire going. I then retreated to the smaller room to wait for everyone to get there, clenching my fists in nervousness.
    A little while later, I heard everyone come in and take a seat. There was a tiny rap on the door, and I readied myself, and straightened my tunic. Picking up the wine pitcher, I opened the door.
    I carried a pitcher full of the finest wine toward the table. I bowed respectfully to the table and everyone sitting at it, before straightening up again, ready to serve the wine. Duke
Alexander was the highest ranked guest here, so I was to serve him first.

Duke Alexander was tall and thin, with blond hair just shy of his ears, revealing a silver skull earring. He seemed to be in his mid-twenties. He had a very handsome face, with sapphire-blue eyes. Although his face had a look of polite disinterest, I could see in the depths of his eyes this hard, insidious look that made me shiver inwardly. When he had first entered the room, he seemed to have glided elegantly. He had a manner of decorum and propriety, and his clothes were opulent, as well as his urbane manner. He was nothing at all what I had suspected.

I poured him a glass of wine, which he accepted gracefully. I made the mistake of glancing up into his sapphire eyes, which rested on me for a fraction of a second. I felt a jolt run through me as I stared into his eyes, and I had the strangest feeling that I knew him. Then his gaze fell to the other people at the table, and I wondered if I had imagined the recognition in his eyes.

I served wine to his vassal, Lord Wylden, who was a large, burly man with short semi-curly black hair with a matching beard. His eyes were a watery emerald-green, and his face was turned into a permanent pout.

The next one was his general, called Silthum. He stood between Duke Alexander’s and Lord Wylden’s chairs. He was tiny, about five feet, with flame-colored hair that reminded me of James, only Silthum’s was darker. He had yellow eyes, plainly evil, that darted around taking in everything. He was wearing a black tunic with skull sandals, and I could see old blood stains on the tunic, which turned my stomach. He declined my offer of wine, taking in who I was, which he judged by my uniform. He then went back to surveying the room.

Breathing a sign of relief, I turned back to the people from Alderria. King Aldan VII was the first one I served. He was in his late thirties, early forties with dirty blond hair that hung past his ears. His golden-brown eyes were wary, and he had a rather long nose. King Aldan had crows feet at the edge of his eyes, and wrinkles around his mouth and forehead. He wore a blue tunic, with the Aldan House embroidered onto the left breast. He was wearing a simple golden crown. King Aldan accepted my wine, and gave me a kind glance. I took an immediate liking to our king.

I served Sir Daniel next, who gave me a slight nod, indicating that I was doing well. James, dressed in his best tunic, gave a quick, warm smile. I noticed with a rush of amusement and fondness that he had actually tried (and failed) to tame his fire-red hair.

As I turned, I noticed that Duke Alexander had been watching me work, observing the relationships that I had with the Alderrians. He gave me a look I couldn’t interpret, before flicking his gaze to King Aldan.

There was some small talks, the usual small jokes that were politely smiled at but not at all funny. I stood at attention, waiting to serve. There was a basket of fruit, including Alderria’s famous chica roots, sitting on the table.

Duke Alexander lounged in his chair, swirling his wine in his wine glass. He glanced around. “Now that we’re all comfortable,” he said amiably, in a light, musical voice, “I think we should all introduce ourselves. As you all know, I’m Duke Alexander, and this is Lord Wylden and General Silthum. Of course, you already knew all of that.”

King Aldan gave him a long look. “I am King Aldan VII, and this is Sir Daniel of Aldan, and James of Loyera.”

Duke Alexander looked at me. “What about her?”

James and I stiffened, and King Aldan shot James a warning glance that I’m positive that Duke Alexander noticed. “She is a Hunter, a trainee. She is here to serve us only.”

Duke Alexander stared at me with a look I couldn’t fathom. “I know that, your Highness, but I would just like to know her name. To make everything more friendly.” He looked at the king.

His eyes narrowed. “Her name is Lyla.” There was a silence.

“Lyla...” Duke Alexander waited. My hands were sweaty.

“Just Lyla,” the king replied in a warning tone. There was an awkward silence that seemed to last an eternity.

Lord Wylden looked up. “I believe that the negotiations should begin,” he said in a deep voice, unlike Duke Alexander’s.

Duke Alexander nodded slowly, lost in thought. “I agree, Lord Wylden.”

The negotiations began. I was constantly filling Duke Alexander and Lord Wylden’s cup. Lord Wylden’s cheeks got red and his voice became increasingly louder as the wine got to him, but the alcohol had no effect on the duke. He kept a cool head, and was very adept at the verbal battles. More than that. He was a master.

After some hours of negotiations, King Aldan concluded it. “I believe that is enough for today,” he said. “We shall continue the negotiations tomorrow. I will have someone show you to your quarters. Send any  and all requests through the servant that I assign you.”

Duke Alexander nodded, then bowed. “A pleasure, your Highness,” he said lightly. He and the other Carathans left.

James breathed a sign of relief and got up and stretched. “Ah, my back,” he grimaced.

“Stop whining,” Sir Daniel scolded. “You’ll get used to this, trust me.”

James glared at him. “I’m a warrior, not a diplomat. I’m not used to sitting around for hours at a time, fencing words with the duke of Carathan. I’d rather do it with swords.”

“And that is precisely the kind of thinking that could get  us all killed, if we’re not careful,” King Aldan said quietly. We all looked at him, and he smiled, a bit ashamed. “Don’t mind me.”

James rolled his shoulders, grimacing at the stiffness, then beckoned to me. “C’mon, Lyla. Let’s go have a bout with swords, not words. I’m so damn stiff from sitting around.”

I set the wine down on the table, and bowed to Sir Daniel and King Aldan, and left with James. 



© 2011 Eva Sirois


Author's Note

Eva Sirois
The whole thing about Lyla's name was because the place where someone is from is used as their surname. Duke Alexander was waiting for a place of origin, but Lyla didn't have one. No one knows where she is from or who her parents are, as far as she knows. Also, your fathers name (if a boy) or mothers name (if a girl) can also be used (example: daughter of Oria, son of Tomas).

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
Added on April 25, 2011
Last Updated on May 11, 2011


Author

Eva Sirois
Eva Sirois

About
I'm a sophomore in high school, and I love to write. I spend most of free time writing when I'm not being drowned in homework or busy with jazz band and marching band. I typically write fantasy becaus.. more..

Writing