Power: Chapter 6

Power: Chapter 6

A Chapter by Eva Sirois

The next morning I was in training with an M’Ochian professor, Niha. We were practicing stretching, making our bodies more limber and flexible. I was in the midst of doing something called push-ups, when I noticed Sir Daniel coming toward the practice field. Everyone looked up and away, and sneaked a look back again, wondering what was going on. Sir Daniel briefly talked with Niha, before walking in my direction. Sweat broke out on my forehead, and it wasn’t just because of the exercise.

“Lyla, may I borrow you for a moment of your time?” Sir Daniel looked down at me, his intense deep blue eyes unreadable.

I scrambled up, bowing as one would to a knight. “Yes, sir,” I replied, and followed Sir Daniel from the practice yard into the castle. I never realized how tall Sir Daniel was, easily surpassing six feet. His walk was steady and sturdy, and I could tell that his stiff leather shirt hid hard muscles.

He took me into his office. James was pacing around in there, visibly upset. His olive-green eyes were snapping, and his fire-red hair was erratic. Confused, I stood at attention in front of the desk.

“It’s outrageous! It’s unacceptable!” James snapped, still pacing furiously. Then, when he realized that Sir Daniel had not immediately agreed with him, he skidded to a stop, and faced Daniel. “Do not tell me that you’re actually considering his request!”

Daniel shot him a warning glance, but James was beyond caring. Daniel sighed. “James, he is a powerful man with lots of influence. Granted, he is a guest in our-”

He is an enemy! He had no right to make this request!”

“Loyera, he had every right to make this request. Settle down before I have you forcibly removed.” Daniel was ticked off. He was using James’s surname, as well as his voice going incredibly soft.

James seemed to realize this, and took a deep breath. “Please, Daniel. You saw how he was at the negotiations yesterday. It could be dangerous if you grant his request. He obviously has some interest in her that I cannot fathom. Remember when-”

Daniel held up a hand to stop him, and James realized what he was about to say. He stopped, then glanced guiltily at me. I felt my curiosity pick up. What was he about to say?

“Why don’t we ask Lyla ourselves?” Daniel suggested, his tone becoming slightly more friendly. He looked at me. “Lyla, Duke Alexander has made a request to borrow you as his personal and temporary squire. What do you feel about this?”

    My jaw dropped. “....Excuse me?” I stared at the both of them, praying to good Lytelier that this was just some joke that James decided to pull on me, and Daniel decided to play along on. But on Daniel’s face was a look I couldn’t fathom, and James’s was really pissed off. I gulped. “But-but why me?”
    Daniel sighed. “I do not know the reasoning, but the request has been made. It would be rather rude to refuse the request, considering how mild it is to be.”
    “Mild? Mild?!” James snapped. “You know what happened, Daniel! If you let Lyla be his squire, then things could become disastrous!”
    Daniel looked James straight in the eye. “Loyera, you are overreacting. Step down. Now.”
    James swallowed and looked away. I started to consider the possibiilities. I felt like I had a duty to fulfill, and refusing to be someone’s squire like that, even for a short amount of time, was considered honor-damaging. James was known for overreacting to certain situations like this, for instance the whole thing with Alan. I rapidly made my decision.
    “I’ll do it, sir,” I said. I avoided looking at James, who made a strangled noise.
    Sir Daniel held my gaze. “Are you sure?”
    I nodded determinedly. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed James throwing up his hands and stalking to the front of the fireplace, muttering to himself.

Daniel looked down at his papers. “Very well. As his temporary squire, you fetch and carry things for him, show him around and help him to get to mild places. You are to answer any mild questions about Alderria and the people here. No talking about military, under any circumstances. Report anything you hear to me. When the bell rings for the start of the day you are to go to his chambers, and to accompany him until he dismisses you. You are free to leave after the evening bell, which you will come report to me. Understood?”

I nodded. James was bristling with fury over by the fireplace, and I swallowed. I was going to hear from him later, I knew, and I wasn’t really looking forward to it. Daniel nodded, and glanced down at his papers, then at my attire. “Change back at your quarters and report to his rooms by the next bell. Understood?”

I nodded, and bowed. Daniel waved his hand. “Dismissed, both of you.” My heart sank. So I wouldn’t be able to avoid him.

James and I walked out and started down the hallway. All the Hunters were still in classes, and the soldiers were off doing patrols or guard duty. When we were some distance away from Daniel’s office, out of hearing range, James turned around sharply and stood in front of me, a billowing cloud of anger. I tensed, ready for the blowout.

What were you thinking?” James hissed quietly. “You don’t know what you have done. You...You...” James growled, wringing his hands.

Trying to defuse him - really, getting worked up like this was bad for his health - I said in a consoling voice, “James, it’s fine. I’ll be-”

“Don’t use that tone of voice with me, because it is not fine!! It was stupid, stupid of you to have accepted that job, stupid of you to put your life in danger for the sake of honor. You are thirteen, Lyla, a Level 6 trainee! You still don’t know how to make decisions for your-”

“What do you mean?! You were thirteen when you became my teacher! Mea told me that it was your decision, not mine, to take me under your wing! So don’t you start preaching to me about how I can’t make my own-”

“This is an entirely different situation! The consequences are much greater and graver! You. Could. Be. Killed.

“Listen, I know that you’re just trying to make sure I’m safe, but you overreact a lot. You are overreacting right now, so please, just, calm down,” I said, growling a bit.

Overreacting?! I am trying to save your life!!” James yelled. “Do not tell me to calm down!! Lyla, you will march back into his office and tell Daniel that you are not going to be-”

“What?! No!! James, I said I’d do it, and I will!! Get off my back!!” I yelled back at him.

Do you want cleaning duty from now until Midwinter?!” James yelled at me. “Go and tell him that you aren’t-”

“Having problems?” a light tenor voice spoke musically. We both turned sharply to see Duke Alexander standing in the hall.




© 2011 Eva Sirois


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
Added on April 26, 2011
Last Updated on May 11, 2011


Author

Eva Sirois
Eva Sirois

About
I'm a sophomore in high school, and I love to write. I spend most of free time writing when I'm not being drowned in homework or busy with jazz band and marching band. I typically write fantasy becaus.. more..

Writing