Power: Chapter 7

Power: Chapter 7

A Chapter by Eva Sirois

I have no idea how long Duke Alexander had been there. James stiffened and I sucked in a breath.

“No, your Grace. My pupil and I were just having a discussion,” James replied stiffly. Duke Alexander shot him an amused glance, and James’s jaw tightened in anger. “I believe that wandering the corridors is not permitted.”

He shrugged elegantly. “Ah, yes, well, I apologize profusely for this. I did not mean to cause any alarm of any sort given to my actions. Please excuse my unruly behavior.”

James gritted his teeth and gave a curt nod. “See that you don’t do it again. Your Grace.” It sounded like it killed him to add the ‘your Grace’ bit onto there. I felt a twinge of exasperation for James.

I bowed. “Your Grace, I have been assigned as your temporary squire.” James hissed quietly under his breath and turned his head away from me slightly. I saw Duke Alexander’s bright blue eyes quickly flit from James, taking in his reaction, then back to me again. He smiled and clasped his hands together.

“Excellent! It would be great to have someone to show me around some more, so I won’t become lost again, and have to make Master Loyera cross at me, now, wouldn’t we?” His eyes sparkled as he looked at James. James looked pissed off.

“Excuse me. Please. Your Grace. I have things to attend to.” James gave me one last angry look before departing, sparing a small bow to Duke Alexander.

Duke Alexander nodded to me. “Now, I think that we should have an understanding of each other. But first, please, where might one practice the arts of swordsmanship?”

I gave him a wary look, and considered quickly his request. Going to the practice yards seemed mild, as long as I didn’t use the public one. There was one set up for the Carathanic people to use. I nodded, and bowed slightly. “This way, please, your Grace.” I started down the hall, in the opposite direction from where I was heading before. Duke Alexander obediently walked beside, and chatted about things in Carathan. He told me all kinds of court gossip, things that they didn’t teach us in classes. By the time we reached the designated practice courts, I considered myself the only Alderrian who knew about the scandal of Count Eyron and Lady Mavira. (Count Eyron was already married to the Countess Corlia).

Although I found the gossip to be interesting, I still hadn’t let my guard down. On the contrary, I kept it up even more. Although his tone and conversation was light, I could feel evil lurking deep inside of him, and I knew that he had some ulterior motive, one that I couldn’t comprehend at the moment.

We arrived at the practice courts. Some of Lord Wylden’s men were already sparing, and Silthum was testing his practice blade. Everyone looked up and bowed as Duke Alexander walked in.

Duke Alexander picked up a practice blade, and nodded to me. “Are you allowed to engage in practice bouts, or is it prohibited?” His eyes sparkled with amusement, but yet, I could still see the cold cunning in the depths of them.

I shook my head. “No, your Grace.”

He sighed. “Pity.” He nodded to one of the men. “Adsel. Ready for a bout?”

They faced off and crossed their swords. Then Duke Alexander struck, as fast as lighting, maybe even faster. Adsel never even saw him coming. He was disarmed in the blink of an eye, and Duke Alexander’s sword was at his throat. I started to sweat. I had seen mastery swordsmanship from the soldiers of the Golden Griffin Army, but this...

Duke Alexander lowered his sword and nodded to another man. “Rilee, what about you?” They faced off, but this time Rilee was prepared. He blocked the duke’s attack, and swung his sword around toward Duke Alexander’s side, but he wasn’t there. With his incredible speed, the duke danced neatly out of the reach of Rilee’s sword, and came up behind him, striking him in the back. Rilee tumbled forward, and desperately tried to twist around to block the duke’s next attack, but he was suddenly disarmed and Duke Alexander’s sword point was at his throat. I swallowed. The duke had hardly broken a sweat but Rilee was breathing hard, sweat pouring down his face. The duke was cool and collected as he offered a hand to Rilee, and helped him up.

On and on it went. Duke Alexander faced three more men after Rilee, coolly defeating them with amazing grace. He was a master, a whirlwind of grace and finesse, leaving destruction and chaos in his wake. I swallowed. I knew that Sir Daniel wouldn’t be too fond of this.

I quietly picked up a sweating cloth and a pitcher of water, and walked over to where Duke Alexander was taking a quick break. I handed him the sweating cloth and waited with the water while he wiped his face. He gave me a guile look while he took a drink of water. “What did you think?”

Trying to keep my expression bland, I replied, “It was very impressive, your grace.”

He nodded slowly. “I would love to challenge one of your soldiers to a duel sometime, perhaps?” I could see that glint of cruelty and guile deep in his blue eyes.

“I will suggest it to Sir Daniel, your grace,” I said carefully to him. The bell rang, its sepulchral tones sending a grave message throughout the castle. I bowed slightly. “It is time for the evening meal. Would your grace be so kind as to follow me?”



© 2011 Eva Sirois


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
Added on April 27, 2011
Last Updated on May 11, 2011


Author

Eva Sirois
Eva Sirois

About
I'm a sophomore in high school, and I love to write. I spend most of free time writing when I'm not being drowned in homework or busy with jazz band and marching band. I typically write fantasy becaus.. more..

Writing