Thursday, June 4th

Thursday, June 4th

A Chapter by Amanda Dawn Sanderson-Greer

Thursday, June 4th
It's summer vacation and yet all I want to do is stay indoors, scribbling down in this notebook. My mother thinks there is something wrong with me because she thinks that I am the only sixteen year old in the world that wants to stick around the house all day. This is untrue, and I know this for a fact. I know this one guy who lives down the road and he never comes outside, except at night. All the neighborhood kids say he is a vampire but he is no Edward Cullin, sadly. His name is Alex and he actually spends his days playing video games and at night when he can't sleep (probably from staring at the screen all day), he goes for a walk. I only know this because I was walking outside late one night due to also not being able to sleep and bumped in to him. I don't pay attention when I walk because I am too busy watching my feet.  If I didn't, I'd fall down a lot more than I already do. However, since I don't pay attention, I tend to run in to things, a lot! Alex happened to be one of them. I know what you are thinking, I must have just died when that happened and trust me, I nearly did. But he was really nice about it and he offered to walk with me back to my house and we talked for a little while. So, as you can see I am not the only teenager on the face of the planet that would rather spend their time inside, than out. 
"Are you sick? Are you depressed? Do you need Prozac?" She's asking me these questions with no intent on receiving any real answers. She's too zoned into her compact, not even looking me in the eye to ask. Had I said yes, she'd have continued with her make-up and not have heard a word I said. So, I decided that Mom is right and I needed to find something to do. 
So I chose to call Abigail. 
"Yes, dear Tabby, what can I do for you?"
"I need to get out of this house; apparently I'm depressed and need a little sunshine." 
"That's convenient considering Mom just offered me the beach house for the weekend. I had hoped you would be able to come with me." 
I enjoyed the thought of being alone with Abigail for a week. Not to mention the idea of sand between my toes and the possibility of turning my paper-white skin into a more cream-filled color excited me! I just feared asking mom because I knew she'd have a million questions and concerns.  "Say a prayer for me Abigail, I'm going to ask mom." I hung up the phone and contemplated how I'd approach mom when I finally decided I'd just wing it. I found her in her craft room; busy working on God knows what, seeing as she doesn't have a job. She likes to pour her creative side out into everything so that she feels like she's accomplishing something.  I didn't know being creative meant you were intelligent but what would I know about intelligence. I usually go along with her ideas even when I think they are terrible, which happens a lot.  To me, she's not actually talented; she's just another stay at home mother addicted to Pinterest with too much time on her hands. This project looked messy so I know I didn't want to stick around long and get involved in all that glittery mess, so I went ahead and spit it out!
"Mom, would it be alright for me to go to the beach with Abigail this weekend, her mother said-" My attempt was quickly cut off.
"Yeah, yeah, whatever honey." She was waving me away with her hands, clearly the mess of glitter was more interesting. "So I can go to the beach then, just me and Abigail?" She didn't even look up from her project.  I could have told her that I was going to go have sex with our elderly neighbor because, "Oh mom, I am in love with him!" She would have not heard a word from my mouth, and to think I was worried.  It is moments like this that confuse me as to why parents wonder why their children run around and act like ignorant fools. It's because we aren't getting the attention we desire from them.  They are constantly wrapped up in their own lives to notice the misery or the rebellion in their child’s, at least not till one is knocked up or locked up. 
They better be glad I am the innocent one of their two children because if it had been Bryan he'd wind up in a mess of trouble. I can imagine it now, Bryan would get drunk and cheat on his girlfriend using the line,” ‘It’s not cheating if you're in a different area code" or possibly getting thrown into jail for underage drinking. 
I am so glad that right now I have no interest in getting to know the opposite sex while they are naked. Just the thought of a penis sort of upsets my stomach. I don't think I could be anyone’s girlfriend because I don't think I could do those girl-friendly duties that girls do to attempt to keep their boyfriends from straying.  So let's just say, I'm not so upset right now about being an unintelligent loser.  Maybe being single isn't as bad as I had previously thought... 
Ugh, yeah I think I am going to go throw up my spaghetti now and go lay down to get some rest.  I want to be able to be awake for the four hour drive to Savannah tomorrow and I still have to pack...


© 2015 Amanda Dawn Sanderson-Greer


Author's Note

Amanda Dawn Sanderson-Greer
Tabby lets out her real feelings about being a teenager when it comes to talking, thinking, and even... doing boys...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Definitely my favorite so far. I loved some of the lines you used when describing her her mother's ignorance, and I also loved how you didn't make her into the typical 16 year old girl who wants nothing more than a boyfriend. There are plenty of girls out there that have the same fears she does, and I really like how you gave the reader that perspective. I could definitely see this in a young adult book. (:

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amanda Dawn Sanderson-Greer

11 Years Ago

Thank you for the kind words, greatly appreciated.



Reviews

I know a lot of sixteen year olds that want to stay home all day without being suspected of vampires. I was one of them a few years ago. It's really not that rare.

There's not really a lot to say about this. It's a transition, which is to be expected because this book is a series of diary entries, but nothing really happens. The bit about her mom is funny, and certainly not the worst parenting I've ever heard, and the rest of it is just monologue.

Two things are worthy of note at this point.

First, you've reminded me why I hate teenage girls. I can't decide whether I just hate Tabitha as a character or whether you're writing her to be annoying as hell, but I'm hoping she gets run over by a bus or something.

Second, who talks about vomiting that casually without being bulemic?

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


Amanda Dawn Sanderson-Greer

11 Years Ago

If we ever met in person, I could honestly say you'd hate my guts. I need to write a story about TH.. read more
Amanda Dawn Sanderson-Greer

11 Years Ago

PS. I sure hope you still come to this site, it'd be worthless without you.
HA!.
This is that swan song of the quasi ugly duckling that is going to end up with masive boobies and success. OR she will be continue to be downtrodden, become her sisters porn manager and make a mint. The area is open, I think that's what I enjoy about it. The thing can go anywhere. The setting up of a weeklong vacation does the story justice by setting it in motion.

Funny, girls get sick to stomach when they think about my dick too. Maybe there is a connection..booya

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


Amanda Dawn Sanderson-Greer

11 Years Ago

I never got massive boobies OR success, this book better give me a darn Nobel prize!

.. read more
I am already hooked on this story. Very curious to know the direction it will take. You have a very realistic way of writing about the typical teenaged girl. She speaks in a way that is genuine to real life and that is a hard thing to capture.

"Had I said yes, she'd have continued with her questioning and not have heard a word I said." Take out the last "I said". It's awkward in the reading and unnecessary for understanding the intent. Cut it.

'It's not cheating if you're in another area code' Never heard that one before, and that's why I like it. It's new and funny and sadly true to worst men out there.

"thinking of a dick sort of upsets my stomach and picturing my sister laughing at being gang banged... well let's just say I no longer regret being an ugly-unintelligent loser." Aren't we all. This was very honest, funny, and - pathetically - I can relate.

"Ew. I just made myself sick to my stomach." Haha, this made me laugh out loud. Literally. Way to go on completely drawing me into this story. Realistic characters, interest style of writing, and clever moments make for a good read!


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amanda Dawn Sanderson-Greer

11 Years Ago

You make a writer proud! Thank you for pointing out a few errors, greatly appreciate it. I'm not t.. read more
I enjoy this book so far.
thank you for suggesting it to me:)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amanda Dawn Sanderson-Greer

11 Years Ago

You're welcome.
It is hard to be a parent. I have four children. I try to find the invisible line not to walk over. The story is very good. I like the internal conversation. Hard to judge people. Some people want a lot and some want nothing. A very good chapter. A lot of interesting topics were brought up in this chapter.
Coyote

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was good, I saw somestuff that was over explained a bit but all in all a terific story line I think that shalynn Covered them all and dont ask me for spelling, openoffice does it for me :-P anyways I am enjoying this story keep it up!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was pretty good I liked it.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A total sexaphobe is an interesting character development. Good chapter.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amanda Dawn Sanderson-Greer

11 Years Ago

Sexaphobe, I might have to steal that. Made me laugh out loud! Ha ha!
This is a good chapter. I'm interested to find out what happens at the beach house.

'convinent' should be 'convenient'

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This feels like a filler....
This has the potential to be a good story but to write a good novel you have to introduce the main conflict at the beginning. All story lines have already been written so you need to twist it and make it yours in some way.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Amanda Dawn Sanderson-Greer

11 Years Ago

A filler may be exactly what it was... I'll consider that once I edit everything.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

693 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 23, 2011
Last Updated on September 18, 2015


Author

Amanda Dawn Sanderson-Greer
Amanda Dawn Sanderson-Greer

GA



About
I'm an entirely different breed, gladly embracing the fact that I'm an odd ball. I'm a YA writer that's do everything she can to stop procrastinating long enough to complete a novel, in order to self.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Dreams Dreams

A Poem by Chelsea