Chapter 26

Chapter 26

A Chapter by Jalaran DeVine

I came out of the bathroom, drying my hair with a towel, wrapped in my terry robe.  I was tired, but wanted to know what was going on. I was after all the one who’d been attacked, and I needed to know how this was going to be handled. I would have to get used to dealing with this sort of thing eventually if I was going to be Siren. Attacks were made against the Royals often within the grotto; violence was as much a part of our society as water it seemed. I may not enjoy handling this sort of thing but until the Mer realized what type of leader I was going to be, I would have to prove myself at every turn. I let out an exasperated sigh.

“So, what are we going to do about James?” I asked looking between the two men. It hit me in that moment, how very much they looked alike, Mr. Stuart’s eyes were a little older, a little more wise, and his hair was bright auburn where as Thomas’ was more blonde. Thomas stood a good three inches above his father, but they were almost mirror images of each other in their features, right down to that same boyish grin, the one that would come out when they were trying to hide a particular emotion, happy, sad, or otherwise.

“Don’t worry about it, you rest. We’ll take care of him, I promise.” Thomas said.  I looked at Mr. Stuart, who shook his head, and then began filling me in on the details of what was going on so far.

“At this point Princess, really there is nothing we can do but wait until the guards get here, and we hear from my grandmother.” Mr. Stuart finished up. Thomas gave him a disappointed look. I’m not sure why he thought it important to shelter me from what had happened or what was going to happen, but I’d been there and lived it. What James had done was forever etched in my mind. 

“Ok, we’ve got guards on the way, are they coming to stay or just to conduct the investigation and then return to the grotto?” The men looked between each other, a bit startled at my question.

“I’m not sure” came from both at the same time.

“Well...” I said, looking around my tiny apartment. “It’s not like we’ve got room to garrison a whole unit.”  They surveyed the single room, and began laughing.  Mr. Stuart regained his composure, and helped me to the sofa.

“You know, you’re right Princess. I think it would be a pretty tight squeeze to get them all in here.” He was still trying to control his laughter. “Maybe I should mention that to my grandmother, before they get here.”  He made sure I was comfortable, and moved away to peer into the silver bowl sitting on the coffee table. With no effort at all, his grandmother appeared in the water, as clear as if he were looking through a window at her.

“Yes Grandson.”  The Siren addressed Mr. Stuart. It was odd hearing him referred to as some one’s grandson, he was much older than either Thomas or I.  I stifled a giggle, which I knew was very inappropriate considering the present company, “Is that the Princess I hear in the background?” she asked. “I would like to meet her.”

“Yes Grandmother.” He answered.  He seemed so very different, so very proper in her presence. Thomas was standing behind his father, like a soldier at attention. I all of a sudden felt very inadequate; I had never met Thomas’ great-grandmother, and had never been to court, I had no idea how I was supposed to behave. I ran every fairytale I’d ever read though my head, and decided that I should do something to show respect to this woman,  I moved in beside Mr. Stuart, then I dropped to one knee and bowed my head.

“I am sorry; I meant no disrespect by the giggle.” I spoke slowly and clearly, in my best formal voice. “I have never been in the presence of any Royalty other than my own family before Ma’am.”  I raised only my eyes to wait for her acknowledgement, and rose only when she’d nodded to let me know I could relax. My own grandmother would not have let me relax, I was so unsure of what to expect.  My own grandmother would have left me in this position for hours, as she did when she visited our home.

“None taken my dear,” her voice was sweet and sing-song “How are you; I hear you’ve been through quite the ordeal in the last week?” While she might be casual about our conversation, I tried to maintain my best manners.

“I am well.” I said, trying to temper my slight New York accent. Again she nodded at me, and then turned attention to Mr. Stuart.

I moved around the sofa to stand beside Thomas, I mimicked his stance as I listened to the conversation.  I noticed a smile cross her face as she looked up at Thomas and I, side by side, behind Mr. Stuart. I was getting the impression that Emerald wasn’t this family’s first choice, though she was probably my family’s. 

“To what do I owe the pleasure of this call grandson?”  She asked. “I already have the guards on the way to help you, and I am in contact with the spies in the other grotto, the reports I get from them are not good, but I feel it would be better not discussed in mixed company,” She looked up at me, I nodded. I knew exactly what she meant by what she’d said, she wasn’t sure yet where my loyalties were, and now was not the time for me to speak up about them.

“Thank you Grandmother, I fear however, we have no room to house the guards once they arrive.” Mr. Stuart said motioning to small room we were in. “The Princess was, before Thomas arrived living alone, and did not need as much space as is now required.”

“I see, so you require a bigger residence?” she asked. “Is there any in New York that you know of which would house a small contingent of guards, and The Prince and Princess?”

“Yes Ma’am,” he replied. “Thomas has found such a residence, and was in the process of securing it when everything started to happen.”

“And what would the young Prince need to secure this residence?”

“We would need the money to purchase it Grandmother.” Mr. Stuart said.

“Fine, fine, I will have my personal assistant wire you the money.” She motioned to some one across the room she was in. “Albert, please take down the information from them.” She said to some one we couldn’t see, but could hear in the background now.

“Yes My Siren,” Came from the unknown voice.

“And where am I to have this money sent?” She asked. Thomas took his account card out of his wallet, handed it to his father, who proceeded to read the information off, and then handed it back to Thomas.  “Now,” she said, “here is the big question. How much is needed?” Mr. Stuart looked back over his shoulder at Thomas who stepped forward, and bent to one knee acknowledging his grandmother, and Siren.

“Hello Great-Grandmother.” He said formally. “The amount for the purchase of the property, which will remain in the hands of the grotto...” I could tell he was trying very hard to butter her up, I knew that the place he wanted was very expensive even by New York standards. “… Is $18,000,000.00.”  She looked a bit taken back by the price, but waived her hand at the unknown voice.

“You heard the young Prince, go and take care of it.” She ordered. “Very well, and can you take immediate possession of the property?” Thomas nodded, rose, and moved back beside me. “Very well, anything else I can help you with in tracking down and punishing the perpetrator?”  A small, gratified smile crossed her lips. I realized where the men got their smile from, and it wasn’t boyish at all, but very much a family trait, like a birthmark or blue eyes might be.

“Thank you Grandmother,” Mr. Stuart, bowed his head. She blanked the water and was gone.

 “Wow!” I squealed. “She beautiful and so nice, I wish my grandmother was more like that.”  Thomas laughed deep and throaty, turning to me.

“Do be fooled.” He said, “She was as much on her best behavior as you were on yours.”  Mr. Stuart nodded in agreement, and motioned for us to come sit down.

“I’ll need to call the realtor” Thomas spoke up. “So we can get the house purchased.”

“Can you get that accomplished by the end of the day?” his father asked him. Thomas shrugged.

“I really don’t know. I’ve never bought a house before.” Thomas cocked his head a bit, looking at his father, “What did great-grandmother mean spies and reports?”

“We have spies in the other grottos, everyone does.” He stated. “It’s just the way it works, as for the reports, I’m not sure, you know as much as I do at this point.”  Mr. Stuart turned to me, and took my hand gently, “Princess, are you feeling up to going out with Thomas to purchase the house?” he asked. “I need to find out what my grandmother knows, but she won’t talk to me with you here.” I nodded even though I didn’t really feel up to it, I was pretty sure I wanted to know what was up as well. I put on my best smile, and got up to find something to wear, we were off to purchase our house, and not just any house, but one of the premier properties in The Village, I didn’t think a jeans and a tee shirt for me were going to cut it.  I rummaged through the closet, trying to find something that looked a bit more dressy than usual. I finally decided on an outfit, pulling a pair of tweed dress pants, and a brown sweater out of the closet, pairing them with a pair of closed toe pumps, I excused myself to the bathroom to get dressed.

 

James got in his car, getting ready to head to swim practice, he looked down at the front floorboard and noticed that there was a backpack that he recognized as mine sitting there. He went over the horrific scene in his head, that he’d thought might have only been a dream, all becoming too real in that moment. He reached for the backpack pulling it up in his lap he opened it, he found it empty except for my student ID, some cash, and a check from the campus bookstore. He was in shock, what was my backpack doing here. James rummaged through the console of his car, remembering that he’d taken my engagement ring off my finger, he found it, blood dried to it. Upon examining it, he found the inscription which read: I love you now, and always Thomas.  His anger grabbed hold of him, and he remembered what he had done and why. He took the backpack, with all of its contents, and tossed it in the dumpster outside his apartment building before leaving, he carefully tucked the engagement ring into his pocket, this was his token, his trophy of conquest if you will. He felt it against the skin of his upper leg, a smile crossed his face. He adjusted his rearview mirror, and sped out of the parking space towards the sports center.

 

Thomas picked up the phone and dialed the realtor’s office. “And how soon can I take possession of the house if I bring you the cash today for it?” he asked.  “Hmm, I can’t get it any sooner, even if I give you the full asking price?” His face grew serious as he was working the details out with the broker. “So, tomorrow afternoon at the earliest then.” He repeated back mostly for our benefit. “Very well, my fiancé and I will be in shortly to sign the contracts, and bring you a cashier’s check for the cost of the house.”  Thomas hung up the phone.  I looked over at him from where I was standing behind the sofa, leather duster in hand.

“So what are we going to do with the guards tonight, they can’t stay here.” I motioned to the room, “We haven’t got enough room.”

“We will need them to be close,” Mr. Stuart said. I nodded still not completely sure why there were so many coming, and why we were arranging for them to stay for the long term.  “Is there a hotel close by that we can have them stay at until we acquire the house, and get it furnished?

“That depends on how much you want to spend, how upscale it needs to be, if they mind sharing rooms and beds or if each will want their own.” I shrugged looking at the two of them. “If they want upscale, but don’t mind sharing rooms and beds, then probably the best in the immediate area is the Washington Square Hotel, the place is gorgeous, has a nice view of the park, and private bathrooms in each room.”

“You say upscale?” Thomas looked at me apprehensively, “how much are we talking?”

“About $340 or so a night last I knew.”  I looked at Thomas, who got a wide grin across his face, he was up to something, but I wasn’t sure what.

“I’m not sure I like that look son,” Mr. Stuart said. “What do you have in mind?” Thomas looked over at me.

“How do you think your grandmother would feel about my using her money to pay for rooms for your guards from my grotto?” He asked. I shook my head.

“I don’t think that’s such a good idea, but do we really have any other options?” I asked. I knew my grandmother wouldn’t be a bit happy about it.  She had not even sent guards, only Thomas to drag me home. “Would she even have to know that’s what she was paying for, is there some way we can keep that under wraps for now?”  Thomas nodded.

“I think we can keep it quiet from our end, but if what dad says is true about the spies, it’s bound to get back to her that guards have been sent.” Thomas said. I sighed heavily, and shrugged.

“We have to put them somewhere, and here isn’t going to work.” I said.  I put on my jacket and picked up my purse. “We can stop and make reservations in person while we’re out if you’d like?”

“Sure.” Thomas replied, “We’ve got to go by the bank anyway, and I need to draw out some money for a surprise.”  His unmistakable smile played at the corners of his mouth.




© 2013 Jalaran DeVine


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

218 Views
Added on December 10, 2013
Last Updated on December 10, 2013