Chapter 28

Chapter 28

A Chapter by Jalaran DeVine

Emerald couldn’t decide what she wanted to wear today, her tail, or perhaps she wanted to wear one of the designer outfits our grandmother had made. She had always been all about showing off her station.  She could dress how she pleased, there were walkways through out the grotto so that when there either form could be assumed. This allowed for us to wear clothing for formal occasions such as weddings.  Court however was general deemed one time when you were to have your tail, and only the females wore something akin to bathing suit type tops to cover their breasts. These were usually very detailed and ornate, not something that average human would wear to a beach by any means, and they usually matched the colors in our tails, eyes, hair, or some other feature. The Mermales usually were only adorned with sashes of their station. Emerald decided that she would wear one such outfit today, one that matched her eyes and tail, a magnificent green, she was the epitome of beauty, I had always thought so.  Her ladies in waiting attended to her every whim, as she went though the array of tops she had that fit the bill. They picked up her discarded clothing, helped her fix her hair so that is was just right, and then brought her a breakfast of fresh shellfish, raw or cooked; it was one of the Mer’s staple foods.  
Emerald sat near the small scrying pool in her room, listening to the events of the day unfold in the grotto, anywhere there was an unprotected scrying pool or bowl, she could listen in.  She was keeping tabs on everything lately; she wanted to know what was going on with Thomas and I.  His being with me was a thorn in her side. 
“And you say that Emerald has attacked Amethyst?” our grandmother’s voice came through the pool; Emerald jerked her head around towards the pool, making the picture come into focus. She had to find out who was trying to sabotage her plans of leaving me unable to confront her or marry Thomas.  Emerald peered into the bowl, but could only hear and see one side of the conversation, that of our grandmother.  “Yes, I will have to confront her and find out.”   Grandmother replied to the mystery person.  “No, no, I will be fine, she has not surpassed me in magic yet, and my guards will never allow her to draw a weapon.”  Emerald tried to cast a spell to pull in the other side of the call, without luck. Whom ever it was, their magic rivaled her own and possibly that of our grandmother, or the scrying vessel that was being used was heavily protected by some one like that. “I agree, I will send a guard of my own to protect and watch her,” Grandmother said, “Is there a way to do so without alerting her, or anyone else to the guard being there.” Grandmother listened to the informant on the other end of the call, “That is an excellent suggestion, will it be hard to set up?” Grandmother asked.  “Wonderful, I have just the guard in mind to send.”  There was a knock at Emerald’s door; she blanked the scrying pool as one of her ladies in waiting answered the door.  
A tall guard entered the room, his dark blue hair with white tips matched his tail and white fins, he was quite handsome, though not of royal blood, he and Emerald had always had an attraction to one another. Saph stood at the door, and waited for Emerald to emerge from her bed chamber. The lady in waiting that had answered the door went to inform Emerald that she had a visitor. 
“Princess Emerald, the guard Saph is here, he wishes to speak with you,” Ana said as she entered the room. Emerald looked a bit put out. 
“I do not wish to be disturbed, tell him to come back another time.” Emerald said sharply. 
“I would my Princess, but he is here on official business of he Siren, he has said he will wait until you wish to speak to him,” Ana fidgeted nervously as she waited for an answer to give Saph.  
Saph looked around the Princess’ receiving chamber taking in everything about it. The smell of flowers lingering in the air, the silks and tapestries that hung on the walls, the rich colors that ran through out the room creating the feeling of a very feminine space. Emerald was defiantly all female in her tastes. 
“Very well, I will be right there, make him comfortable.” Emerald hissed, turning to the mirror to make sure she was presentable for a male caller. 
As she entered the room, Saph turned his entire attention to her and her breath-taking beauty. She moved to a small ornate chair in the middle of the room, and positioned herself there, then summonsed him to move forward and address her. Everything about her was regal; she truly conducted herself like a princess, The Princess to succeed our grandmother on the throne. I would later learn just how bad she truly wanted that throne, that power. 
“Yes?” She said looking at Saph impatiently. “You were announced as to having business of the Siren, so let’s hear it.” 
  “Yes Princess, The Siren has requested your presence in her chamber immediately.”  Saph said to her nervously. Emerald wasn’t surprised by this, she already knew that her grandmother suspected her of the attacks on me, but in her mind she was only doing what she had to, to secure her throne and birthright.  She didn’t want to marry Thomas, but the families had made it necessary for her to be able to take the throne, she didn’t want to have a child, or for that matter even give herself to Thomas at all in that manner, the man she had wanted to take that from her stood before her. A man she could never have and be Siren. Thomas would be the lynchpin in her acquiring the throne, all she had to do is produce a female heir, simple enough, there was magic that could help  her to ensure it was a baby girl, even if it was forbidden by the Gods. For all she cared about Thomas, I could have him and she would be just as happy. 
Emerald made her way to the central chamber of the grotto; this was where public trials, executions, and most things royal took place. It was also where weddings where held, and fancy balls, as well as banquets. Anything that involved the majority of the populous happened here. She crossed through, and on to the other side, here was where the guards’ chambers were, along with those of the Siren.  Grandmother liked to keep her protection close. Emerald stepped up to the door outside grandmother’s chambers, the guard standing to the right side of the door knocked; a servant appeared and invited Emerald in. 
“Greetings Princess, I will announce you to the Siren.”  Jorge bowed his head slightly, turned and left the room. Emerald waited, not wanting to be here. Grandmother entered the room, Emerald stood defiantly in front of her, only a slight bow of her head as recognition of the Siren’s station.  Grandmother looked at her disapprovingly. 
“Hello Granddaughter.” She greeted Emerald. Emerald smiled. 
“Hello Grandmother, how nice of you to remember I am family.” Emerald retorted. 
“Emerald,” Grandmother started, “I’m hearing things, things that aren’t very flattering about you.”  She studied Emerald as she stood there, or what a Mer considers standing. 
“I don’t know what you mean Grandmother.” Emerald recoiled, trying to look innocent. “I’ve done nothing to be ashamed of.”  Grandmother shook her head. 
“My idea of what you should be ashamed of, and your idea I am certain are two very different things.” She smiled as she moved to sit on her small throne, adjusting her tiara.  Emerald looked at our grandmother, jealousy coursing through every vein.  She wanted that throne, these chambers, she wanted all of it. 
“Whatever do you mean; I have done nothing that you wouldn’t have.”  Emerald shifted nervously, this was beginning to be too close to a lie even for her liking.  Grandmother waived her away, 
“Very well, be on your way, but heed this. If you do anything to hurt your sister, or make it impossible for her to fairly try for the throne, I will see neither of you sit on it.”  Grandmother turned, heading back into her private chamber from the receiving chamber.  Emerald was left standing alone save for the guards in the middle of the room.

Mr. Stuart, Thomas and I went downstairs together this time, I didn’t like the looks of the new doorman, something about him screamed that he wasn’t what he seemed. I wasn’t sure why, but it did. My magic wasn’t developed enough to sense if he was magical, or in an illusion, it was just a gut feeling I had.  I wasn’t sure if Thomas could sense it, he hadn’t seemed to be as worried as I was when this man was there instead of Josh, but Thomas hadn’t lived in this building as long as I had either.  Thomas was clueless as to the fact that no one ever replaced Josh.  Then again, maybe I was just being paranoid, who could blame me after all that had happened. I’d been almost killed twice in the last week, and both times left with the fear of never being able to have children. Some one, I suspected my sister, was out to get me, and see that I could never take the throne of my grandmother’s grotto.  They hadn’t succeeded yet, but I wasn’t about to give them a third chance.  
We exited the elevator in the lobby, and walked three abreast towards the door; the young man looked up and smiled. 
“Hello,” he greeted us. Mr. Stuart offered his hand; the young man reluctantly took it in a firm handshake.
“Hello young man, are you new here?” Mr. Stuart asked. “I don’t believe I know who you are; I’ve never seen you here before.”  
“Yes Sir, I’m new, I was just hired to help Mr. Ingram with door duty, so that he could have a little more free time.”  He looked between the three of us nervously. “My name is Matthew, and I will be around almost as much as Mr. Ingram.”  Mr. Stuart nodded, Matthew opened the door, and we left. No harm caused. I was still uncomfortable about the young man, his explanation didn’t suit me. We started to walk away from the building, down the street where we could talk. 
“He’s defiantly in an illusion; he’s Mer without a doubt.” Mr. Stuart said, “But I don’t think it’s his illusion, it seems too powerful not many have magic that powerful.” Mr. Stuart shrugged, “I can list them on one hand, my grandmother, your grandmother Amy, and Emerald to the best of my knowledge. I don’t know any others unless they would be from outside our grottos.”  
“He didn’t seem to pose a threat though,” Thomas piped up. “He didn’t even ask who we were.” 
“Yeah, which makes me wonder if he already knows, or he’s just waiting for the perfect opportunity.” I sighed heavily.  


© 2016 Jalaran DeVine


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
Added on July 4, 2016
Last Updated on July 4, 2016