December 6, 2009 - 2:48am

December 6, 2009 - 2:48am

A Chapter by Kitt

December 6, 2009

2: 48am

 

                It’s been four months since the killer’s first attempt. I’ve followed him to the woods trying to catch some information. I’ve only just realized I’ve perched myself too far away and I can’t hear what they are discussing. I want to move closer, but if I make a sound now, I’ll surely be caught. Silence is something I’ve learned to live in. I’m really good at it too. I just doubt I can cross over on foot the ten or twenty more feet I need to be close enough without one of them noticing. Silence would help, but they are watching. I’m not mad at myself for now following in a closer range. I watch carefully practicing my lip-reading skills that I’m teaching myself to develop. I’m behind the conversation the whole time, but I’m able to understand the emotions and bits and pieces of what’s being said. I understand it’s a trade of information of some kind. Probably more of our department’s secrets…

                The girl in red with way too much mascara on that even I can see it from this distance is yelling now. She’s angry at something the lanky boy in the blue hoodie has just said. I think I recognize the boy from a mission about a year ago, but with his hood up casting a dark shadow over his face, it’s hard to tell. The girl beside him is dressed in an identical fashion as the lanky kid. She also looks familiar. Perhaps from the same mission or something. The boy in the blue hoodie mutters something. I wish he’d pull his hood down. Without being able to see his face, I have no hope of guessing what he’s trying to say.

                There are seven people here this time. That’s two less than the previous time. The three in brown are from my department, and I know each of their names by heart. (Daisy, Hudson, and Davis) I don’t recognize the two in blue. They haven’t come to any meeting before this, but I know where they’re from; Tower, as in our enemy… The woman in red with enough make-up on to make a clown seem underdressed has been present at every meeting, but I’ve yet to locate where she comes from. The last guy there is a buff guy with a dull expression dressed in black. He keeps looking around completely bored with whatever’s going on. He’s obviously on watch. I see how he sticks close to the two in the blue hoodies and so I safely assume he’s been hired by Tower. I’m not sure if he’s from another department or just someone they’ve picked up off the street, but it’s obvious he’s not a part of whatever’s going on.

                Hudson’s now speaking, rather calmly I note. He seems to be negotiating with the two fighting. Daisy, the brunette standing beside Davis, joins Hudson. I wonder vaguely what Melissa would think of Hudson if she saw how much time he spends with Daisy. The thought of Melissa sets my mind on the troublesome idea that Hudson wants something from Melissa. I’m not sure what it is, or what Hudson plans to do with her when he gets it, but I know he’s up to something… Okay, well, Hudson is always up to something, so that wasn’t much of a change. It bothers me to have him so close to Melissa though. I know his other angle is targeting me through her.

                The fight settles as the girl in red nods and agrees to whatever Hudson has offered. Did he just say something about a blueprint? I watch Davis tell them they needed to meet up in about a week. This causes another argument to spree. From what I could understand, there was conflict in the scheduling and it seemed like they wanted whatever it was earlier than the day Davis had suggested. Daisy argued back in defense. The blue hooded girl made some kind of gestures. I cocked my head to the side in confusion trying to keep up. What was going on? I want a better look.

                I lean forward on the branch, adjusting my hold. Had I been thinking, I would’ve remembered how the top of the branch was damaged and unsafe. I would’ve also have reminded myself that it was stupid to be moving right now. However, I hadn’t been thinking such things. The small limb attached to the branch I was on, the one I mistakenly have just leaned on, cracked with a loud pop underneath my hand. My breath caught in my throat at the noise and my heart skipped a beat. I could only watch as the branch fell crashing into every limb it could possibly reach just to spite me before finally hitting the ground.

                I shut my eyes really tight, as if to make the scene go away. I don’t want to look. I know they heard that. One of them was probably coming now. I needed to get up and run now… or perhaps it would just be better to hang myself now to prevent the on slaughter. I don’t want to look… but I need to.

                I manage to open my eyes in slits, my breath is still held. They’re all staring over in the direction of the noise. Of course… They would possibly be the stupidest people on Earth if they weren’t at least curious on what’s making that much noise at three in the morning. Still, I don’t like it. It’s silent. The suspicious looks seem to last for a life time before it’s finally broken. I see the girl in the blue hoodie reach out her black gloved hand and point over in my direction obviously muttering something to the muscles on watch. The henchmen nods and starts walking over in my direction. I feel light-headed now. I look down judging the distance to the ground. I’m wondering if I can make the jump, or even if I would have time to flee. I’m not sure, but it’s a better plan than sitting there, isn’t it?

                I twist my legs silently around on one side of the branch. I’m ready to jump when suddenly Hudson caught the guy’s arm. I wonder if he was going to come check this out himself. I definitely wouldn’t stand a chance then. However, he then did something I didn’t expect. He simply just shrugged and said something along the lines of ‘It was only an animal. I saw it.’ I sit there watching with baited breath as some argue that they should check anyway, ‘just in case’. Hudson rolls his eyes coolly replying something along the lines of ‘You’re too paranoid. No one knows where we’re at.’ It looked to me like he was either calling them out or insulting them. Whatever he had said, it did its job of calling the meeting back into order and stop any further attempt to investigate. Everyone seemed to accept his story and went back discussing the matter with only few glances here and there in my direction. I slowly released my breath feeling better. I’m at least safe for the time being. It was such a close call, that I’m afraid to breath too loudly. After a minute struggling to breath, I finally reinsure myself they can’t hear me from this distance and that I’m allowed to breathe.

                The meeting ends quickly. I must’ve scared everyone into suspicion. I can’t leave until everyone else goes. I press myself close to the branch I’m on hoping my brown uniform will blend me to the bark. I wait now… Tower and their body guard are the first ones to go. The girl in red stays a tad bit longer whispering privately to Hudson on something. I can see it in his expression the demonic nature of the plans. I feel fear creep upon me again. Is it another plan of murder, I wonder. She finishes up quickly and then parts quickly afterwards. I expect Hudson, Davis and Daisy to also depart quickly, but they stay where they are, conversing among themselves. Hudson looks directly over to my tree. I stop breathing again… He knows.

                Hudson makes a motion for Daisy and Davis to check around. They nod and part from him walking around the area to check for any listening ears. They wouldn’t want to risk getting caught, would they? I keep focus on Hudson though. Hudson’s still staring over in my direction, but he hasn’t moved yet. He’s plotting. I can see it in his expression. I shift uncomfortably on the branch and quietly climb a bit higher in the tree for better coverage. I know I shouldn’t be moving, but he already knows my location, there’s really not much I can do anyway. Jumping down and taking off would be a major failure. I’ve tried that method before.

                I press myself tightly against the trunk in hopes of blending in. Hudson is now moving. He’s taking his time, being very deliberate and very confident about his movements. He knows I’m not going anywhere and that he has me where he wants me. I bite my bottom lip in fear. Hopelessness begins to dawn on me. I know I should just get down and get this over with, but I’m scared. I don’t want to move.

                Hudson stops right below my tree looking up attempting to find me. After a moment, he gives up on the exact location. “Oh, Kristen.” Hudson calls to me. A chill runs down my spine and froze my blood to the core. His voice… It strikes fear into me every time I hear him speak… Especially when he’s calling my name. “You can come down now.” He tells me. I don’t move. I’m holding my breath again. Maybe if I pass out, I won’t feel my death. There’s a long drawn out pause. The forest is dead, and even the air seems to be sleeping around me. I close my eyes.

                “We’re clear.” Davis’s raspy voice makes me jump. I hadn’t realized he’d came back to Hudson’s side. I could safely assume Daisy must be with him. I get the mental image of all three of them staring up at me. Daisy with her charming looks standing to the left of Hudson, the side she’s always preferred. Davis is probably standing bored to Hudson’s right just wanting to go home. I can imagine his pale green eyes looking down the path longingly. Hudson, of course, would be in the middle and have his cold hazel eyes fixed on the top of the tree. “Is it her again?” I hear Davis ask. I could almost picture perfectly the look Hudson shot him. It was one of ‘uh-duh’ looks before he’d roll his eyes and turn his attention back on his target… me.

                I keep my eyes close and my breathing to the absolute minimum…none. I can feel my heart’s unnaturally fast beats pounding to escape me. They sound too loud in my own ears. I’m convinced the three below me can hear it. I remain still anyway. I’m safer in the trees. The forest is engulfed in the dead silence again. In this time frame, I am supposed to move and come down to the bottom of the tree to face Hudson. I can’t seem to make myself move.

                After a few moments of agonizing silence, Hudson sighs loudly. “Daisy, go keep Melissa company while I handle this…” Hudson says. I release my breath in frustration. I know what he’s doing. He’s using this command as my warning. He knows exactly how to get to me. I flinch at the images in my mind, and grit my teeth at the obvious disadvantage over me. I have to come down now. There is no other way. I’m caught in a dilemma. If I stayed up here, I couldn’t protect Melissa. If I got down though, I couldn’t protect myself. It was me or Melissa.

                I clench my fists tightly before opening my eyes and unclenching them slowly. I take a few deep breaths for the nerves. I feel stiff from both the fear and the chill of the December air.  I move slowly, allowing myself to calm down before facing him. I force myself to climb down the tree as quietly as I can before dropping right in front of Hudson and Davis. I immediately drop my head to the ground like a sad, lost, little child. My eyes flicker nervously from behind my bangs looking from Hudson to Davis. I can feel Hudson circle me as a predator might circle their prey before the kill. It’s a form of mockery, showing a clear victory for them. I stand still, my chin nearly touches my rib cage. I’m scared to look up. I don’t want to. I know better than to run. I wouldn’t get anywhere. Hudson likes this stance from me. He likes having the power. I all too willingly give it to him. He’s stronger than me. And even if I did stand a chance, he had Melissa.

                “How much did you hear?” Hudson demands in my ear. I flinch. I wasn’t sure how to answer. The truth or a lie?

                “I couldn’t hear anything from this distance.” I reply very lowly. My voice always came out low and barely audible. Everyone in my department would give me a pity look when they heard me speak. The look held something like, ‘Aw, poor traumatize kid. It must be a side effect.’ I never say anything about the looks. I supposed it was true enough. I used to be a good public speaker, or at least, my voice was strong and confident. Everything about myself has changed in the past four months. I hardly know myself anymore, and neither does anyone else.

                “Don’t lie to me, Kristen.” Hudson grips my chin roughly in his hand and forces me to look up at him. I shiver trying to control the amount of fear on my face. I involuntarily attempt to take a step back from him only to be yanked forward placing me closer to him. He’s nearly a half foot to a foot taller than me, making me feel even more intimidated by him. I fidget uncomfortably under his stare, trying to hold the eye contact he wants, but my eyes keep flickering, longing to look anywhere but at his own cold stare.

                “I’m not lying.” I breath out desperately praying he’ll let me go. He only looks at me with a hard, intimidating glare. It makes me feel much smaller than I actually am.

                “You’re testing my patience, Kristen.” He growls lowly. I feel his grip tighten painfully. I could both feel and see he was losing his temper. I know he will only take it out on me if I don’t answer how he wants.

                I pause thinking of what I did understand from the conversation. “A blueprint?” I ask, not entirely sure if that was what they had been talking about or not. I feel him release me. I barely have time to react before a hard blow to the side of my head knocks me off my feet. I fall with a low cry of pain. I quickly throw my hands up to shield my face and pull my legs closer to myself in a pathetic fetal position.

                “Didn’t hear anything, huh?” Hudson asks in a harsh tone. I shiver afraid he’s going to hit me again. The side he’s just struck throbs painfully and I’m sure I’ll have a mark there later. “You’re an awful liar and you nearly ruined the whole trade.” He continues. His boot nudges my back hard telling me to get up. I wanted to stay on the ground where I was undoubtedly safer, but it would only tick him off more. I got to my feet quickly. Two strong hands took both my shoulders slamming me and pinning me against the trunk of the tree. I immediately turn my head to the side cringing away from him and begin shaking thinking for sure he was either going to beat the crap out of me or perhaps attempt to kill me again. It had been pure luck that he hadn’t succeeded in the kill yet. I swear I had some angel looking over me in that area, but I didn’t think I would be that lucky this time.

                “Now listen to me, Kristen, and listen closely because I will only tell you this once.” Hudson nearly hisses at me. “In 12 hours, that’s 3:30pm, you’re going to meet with Davis down in the art studio.” I couldn’t help but to feel a tad bit relieved I wasn’t dying tonight, but whatever this is couldn’t be good. I listen shaking still. “He’ll give you some other instructions and probably a key. You’re going to go to the Head department’s office and gather the ARC blueprints. Davis will guide you from the security tapes.” My breath catches in my chest and I look over at him with wide eyes. Sneak into the Head department’s office? Steal blueprints? There was no way I’d be able to do that! That was suicide! As if Hudson hears my thoughts, he continues. “While you’re busy with that, me and Melissa plan to watch a movie. If I don’t get a call from Davis by the time it’s over, she’ll see the ending twice.” I cringe at the image. I understand what he’s implying. Melissa is a fan of horror movies. Most her movies ended with the main character dying a gruesome death. “Understood?” I nod slowly feeling hopeless and terrified as I do so. “Good.” Hudson replies.  He then turns to teach me again why spying is not allowed.



© 2013 Kitt


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

verywell thought out story, very well done

Posted 11 Years Ago


Kitt

11 Years Ago

Thank you. Feel free to continue reading other chapters. I currently have four up right now.
first second third

11 Years Ago

look forward to it:)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

204 Views
1 Review
Added on January 31, 2013
Last Updated on February 6, 2013


Author

Kitt
Kitt

Athens, GA



Writing
Kristen Kristen

A Poem by Kitt


Day Dream Day Dream

A Poem by Kitt